Walker, Nicholson, King

RS86

Assuming this has probably been discussed at length in the past but which of the three would you have as your starting 2 each week (supposing they weren't rotated).

Nicholson is excellent running a defenders, won a few penalties last season and chips in with a few goals and seems to be doing well preseason, but for me it would be Walker and King.

I like that Billy can deliver a decent ball in with his right comfortably but can cut in on his stronger foot too. Also exciting to watch running forward.

If Walker was to move onwards and upwards as much as he'd be missed were not lacking in ability out wide at least.

At this time last year my order would have been Nicholson, Walker, King. Based on last year it would be Walker, King, Nicholson. We're lucky to have three top quality exciting young wingers that we can rotate and pick on form/opposition. Got a sneaky feeling Nicholson is going to be the one to shine the most this year, no idea why. Could also do with a couple of bad average games from Walker to stop him being pinched in January!

I think Walker will be first choice until or if his form dips. Both King and Nicolson have pace and trickery and I think they'll be the two to be rotated.

Great position to be in really.

Captain America

At this time last year my order would have been Nicholson, Walker, King. Based on last year it would be Walker, King, Nicholson. We're lucky to have three top quality exciting young wingers that we can rotate and pick on form/opposition. Got a sneaky feeling Nicholson is going to be the one to shine the most this year, no idea why. Could also do with a couple of bad average games from Walker to stop him being pinched in January!

This is exactly where I am.

Nicholson seems to be having a good pre season though so could be King that misses out against St J.

It is just great to have 3 young exciting players like this at the club. All 3 get people off their seats on a regular basis, long may it continue.

Walker has to start. He's arguably our greatest attacking threat and he creates as well as scores. He will continue to be fairly central until we sell him, though.

King is a winger and, excuse the pun, he delivers. Assists and goals tally last season was excellent. Injuries aside he will play 20+ times this season.

Nicholson? Needs to show it with more consistency, IMO. He is a great talent and will do great for us, but his form was patchy last year.

At this time last year my order would have been Nicholson, Walker, King. Based on last year it would be Walker, King, Nicholson. We're lucky to have three top quality exciting young wingers that we can rotate and pick on form/opposition. Got a sneaky feeling Nicholson is going to be the one to shine the most this year, no idea why. Could also do with a couple of bad average games from Walker to stop him being pinched in January!

Totally agree, year before I would've said the same.

I remember Levein saying after Sam signed a new contract it would probably be the most significant signing we'd make last year. Clearly see the potential he has (although its fairly obvious for anyone to see I suppose)

Nicholson and Paterson were the two slight disappointments from last season insofar as they didn't really kick on. Big season ahead for both as they have all the attributes to play at a higher level.

Walker at this moment is best of 3. Nicholson has more ability than King for me but King has great work ethic.

We're fortunate to have all 3. Suspect our resolve might be tested for Walker, perhaps even before a ball is kicked. La Liga would suit his style above England imo.

Walker is the one I feel will start most. Then think it will vary between the other two.

Also think we may only start walker with a flat three behind him & two up top some weeks.

Hopefully they all push on and improve - equal playing time although Walker will play in all big games

Jambof3tornado

Has oliver not been deployed wide too this preseason?? What about Reilly playing out wide?

Op-shuns. So many op-shuns.

Yes Walker is a first pick and I think we might struggle to keep him for much longer.

The other two will be rotated with others IMO. King is the closest of the two to being the finished article but I'd expect both to be complete players by the end of this season. Big seasons for both of them.

loveofthegame

Walker is, as others have said, the guaranteed starter of the 3 for now but I think this will be the season that Nicholson starts delivering on a more consistent basis.

Has arguably the most natural ability of the 3 of them IMO.

Great to have all 3 though.

I just hope they can all contribute like they did last season and a bit more.  Harder for Walker to replicate or better last season, so he may get surpassed by the younger two this season.  All capable of  frightening defences, creating and taking opportunities. 

These 3 are our best prospects of cashing in if they deliver this season IMO

All 3 of them will play most weeks. Robbie will rotate them depending on form and fitness.

Think he will. Not wanting to be the odd one out will hopefully spur them on to play well.

Im excited at the prospect of the lads whipping balls in for Sow & Juanma to attack this year. Powerful front line pairing if we use them together.

I think Nicholson is the most talented of the 3, but Walker and King have been far more productive in the last year. Anyway, great problem to have the 3 of them fighting over places

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Billy King is a better player than Nicholson. I think the stats last season showed that.

Should be him along with Walker, who is the most talented player at the club.

Has oliver not been deployed wide too this preseason?? What about Reilly playing out wide?

Op-shuns. So many op-shuns.

T'is true. Think it was more likely Robbie experimenting though. More likely to use them as forwards or late subs when either of the 3 are tiring than starting games there IMO

All 3 are very exciting prospects Jamie is proving he has matured in both his game and character. King impressed last season with his contribution of assists and goals. Sam is a wee gem however he was getting knocked of the ball to easily last season. I hope this has been worked on (I'm sure it has) as he too can rip defences apart and has a cracking shot in him. Walker, King, Nicholson, maybe but I'm sure that will rotate as the season progresses.

How lucky we are to have them. :)

Sam is a wee gem however he was getting knocked of the ball to easily last season.

Easy to knock someone off the ball if he is travelling at pace and Sam has plenty of that, will happen but refs are not so good at picking up on it.

A price you pay for speed, may the day come soon when they cant get near enough him to make any contact.

Billy King is a better player than Nicholson. I think the stats last season showed that.

Should be him along with Walker, who is the most talented player at the club.

Not wanting to denigrate King to praise Nicholson but I can't see how anyone could think this to be the case.

King was more effective last season granted, buts it's pretty clear Nicholson is more talented and I'll be stunned if he doesn't go to a higher level.

loveofthegame

Not wanting to denigrate King to praise Nicholson but I can't see how anyone could think this to be the case.

King was more effective last season granted, buts it's pretty clear Nicholson is more talented and I'll be stunned if he doesn't go to a higher level.

My feelings exactly.

King was extremely effective last season, but Sam is far more talented and will go higher in the game. Delighted to have both mind you.

undisputed truth

Personal preference would be Walker ,King and then Nicholson...Walker offers us a stronger physical presence than the other 2 and you can see from the new signings (Reilly aside) how  much the management team value physique, I also believe that we  may play a little narrower this year which brings Oliver and Reilly into the equation more often along with El Hass if pre season games are anything to go by...exciting times boys, exciting times

I'd have Walker on the left and Nicholson on the right. Billy King is great too.

We have some of the most exciting wingers in Scotland.

loveofthegame

I'd have Walker on the left and Nicholson on the right. Billy King is great too.

We have some of the most exciting wingers in Scotland.

Agreed - can't really think of any other club with better. Mackay-Steven and Forrest at Celtic are more proven but both have years on our 3 who are definitely capable of being as good if not better (again IMO).

I'd love us to play a fluid 4-1-4-1 sometimes at home.

Sow or Juanma as the 1 with a fluid combination from Walker, nicholson, King, El Hass, Sow or Juanma just behind

Bert Le Clos

Walker first choice.

Nicholson has more natural ability than King but for Billy's work-rate and physicality and have him ahead of Sam.

Really hope walker gets played more through the middle this year. Thought he was a stand out in the Raith Rovers game last week in this position. Don't know why but he reminded me a bit of Hartley.

This is why we have one of the strongest squads in depth in the SPL and next season will show this......They will each play in certain games that Robbie thinks will fit the system and the style of certain matches. 

letsalllaughathobos

King walker nicolson for me,

tbf don't really care which one plays as long as they give 100%,

The 3 are more than good enough,

Regular John

King>Walker>Nicholson

It'll be interesting to see how Walker's game is affected with the loss of Eckerlsey.

Hopefully Oshaniwa has the same impact at linking up with him at the higher level, because the McHattie & Walker link looked pretty toothless to me.

This is why we have one of the strongest squads in depth in the SPL and next season will show this......They will each play in certain games that Robbie thinks will fit the system and the style of certain matches.

Nail on the head!

For Nicholson and King, I think it'll be horses for courses, depending on who we're playing. I'd expect Walker to play almost every week.

conorelen_16

Would love to see Nicholson on the left Walker in the middle and King on the right in a 4-2-3-1 formation, which would hopefully allow walker to still score goals

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would love to see Nicholson on the left Walker in the middle and King on the right in a 4-2-3-1 formation, which would hopefully allow walker to still score goals

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd like to see this.

So many options and variations we could use including the strikers we have. Exciting times :)

Unknown user

People often put ball skill top of the list when judging players, but awareness and intelligence are much more important imo.

King, for me, is currently a better player than Nicholson

Archived