Hamburg

Currahee!

I'm off to Hamburg next month with my girlfriend and staying in St Pauli.

Any tips for trips, pubs and restaurants?

I'll be checking out Minatur world even if she doesn't want to.  :laugh:

Any places to avoid?

Auld Reekin'

L?beck is a really nice place for a day-trip: a UNESCO world-heritage site, the old part of the town is on an island on the River Trave and is very historical and interesting. It's an old Hanseatic trading port and has some great architecture, although extensively (and beautifully) restored after WWII bombing damage. Travem?nde is the nearby seaside resort and is also worth a visit if you have time. There are plenty bars and restaurants in L?beck and Travem?nde where you could get a nice lunch and a few beers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%BCbeck

Didn't think all that much of Hamburg when we were there, but we probably didn't see the best of it or the most interesting areas. We didn't go to St. Pauli or the Reeperbahn anyway!

L?beck is a really nice place for a day-trip: a UNESCO world-heritage site, the old part of the town is on an island on the River Trave and is very historical and interesting. It's an old Hanseatic trading port and has some great architecture, although extensively (and beautifully) restored after WWII bombing damage. Travem?nde is the nearby seaside resort and is also worth a visit if you have time. There are plenty bars and restaurants in L?beck and Travem?nde where you could get a nice lunch and a few beers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%BCbeck

Didn't think all that much of Hamburg when we were there, but we probably didn't see the best of it or the most interesting areas. We didn't go to St. Pauli or the Reeperbahn anyway!

Cheers.  :thumbsup:

Our hotel is just off the Reeperbahn.  :laugh:

I don't know what she'll make of it.

Sorry to hijack, but how do you 'search' for a specific thread on a mobile?

If you've got the full version on your phone it's at the top right of the screen. To the right of your name.

There's been a few Hamburg threads on here. Might be worth a search.

There is quite a few. Cheers.   :thumbsup:

MacDonald Jardine

I'm off to Hamburg next month with my girlfriend and staying in St Pauli.

Any tips for trips, pubs and restaurants?

I'll be checking out Minatur world even if she doesn't want to. [emoji23]

Any places to avoid?

The Reeperbahn is an absolute shitehole but is bouncing at night.

The main church (which I forgot the name of) has fantastic views.

There's another church by the docks which was decimated in the war and now has a memorial exhibition which is quite interesting.

The waxworks on the Reeperbahn is worth a visit if only for the Nazi figures.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Serj Tankian

Our hotel is just off the Reeperbahn.  :laugh:

I don't know what she'll make of it.

Women aren't allowed in the red light so you will have it all to yourself if you go

Women aren't allowed in the red light so you will have it all to yourself if you go

:laugh:

That's a shame.

Best place for drinking in Hamburg is Sternschanze. Loads of pubs. Lots of different styles. Very relaxed area,

Best place for drinking in Hamburg is Sternschanze. Loads of pubs. Lots of different styles. Very relaxed area,

Cheers.

I can't remember the name of the club but the stripper smelt amazing. I wouldn't stop going on about it on my brothers stag.....I wish they could bottle her aroma.

They're allowed on the Reeperbahn. It's just the wee hooker Street off it that they're not allowed.

feedtheroman2

It's a shame you can't take in the football as getting to see St Pauli play at the Millerntor is a pretty cool experience! You could always see about stadium tours as well (conducted by a very clued up guy called Sven Brux) who is an old school fan/ex-player and now currently the club security director.

There is loads of bars around the reeperbahn and some are nicer than others. Just off the Reeperbahn in a street called the Grose Freiheit for example, there is a bar called Zum Silbersack in which once your in, you feel like you've transported yourself to some kind of retro German diner with a cosy/living room atmosphere that primarily plays old German fishmarket music such as Hans Albers etc.

Another nice bar is down the sea front and it's called 'Schaefe Ecke' which is basically, a pirate theme bar with a much better view and more up to date jukebox.

Pubs not to goto, again just off the reeperbahn; 'Die golden handschu' & the name escapes me, but it's a grotty wee basement bar that is open 24/7 and attracts the clientale who you would expect to take advantage of this...

Definetely do goto 'Minitaur world' it's absolutely fascinating and basically, a two-storey train museum that is well worth a visit! A boat trip down the Elbe wouldn't go a miss either...

It's a shame you can't take in the football as getting to see St Pauli play at the Millerntor is a pretty cool experience! You could always see about stadium tours as well (conducted by a very clued up guy called Sven Brux) who is an old school fan/ex-player and now currently the club security director.

There is loads of bars around the reeperbahn and some are nicer than others. Just off the Reeperbahn in a street called the Grose Freiheit for example, there is a bar called Zum Silbersack in which once your in, you feel like you've transported yourself to some kind of retro German diner with a cosy/living room atmosphere that primarily plays old German fishmarket music such as Hans Albers etc.

Another nice bar is down the sea front and it's called 'Schaefe Ecke' which is basically, a pirate theme bar with a much better view and more up to date jukebox.

Pubs not to goto, again just off the reeperbahn; 'Die golden handschu' & the name escapes me, but it's a grotty wee basement bar that is open 24/7 and attracts the clientale who you would expect to take advantage of this...

Definetely do goto 'Minitaur world' it's absolutely fascinating and basically, a two-storey train museum that is well worth a visit! A boat trip down the Elbe wouldn't go a miss either...

Our hotel is quite close to St Paulis ground so i'll check it out hoping for a tour.

I'd go into any pub but being with the girlfriend kind of stops that. :laugh:

Cheers for the info.

They're allowed on the Reeperbahn. It's just the wee hooker Street off it that they're not allowed.

Strange. I saw plenty when I was there...

Strange. I saw plenty when I was there...

:lol:

Well. Obviously there are some ladies allowed there. Probably not the type you'd take home to your folks though.

:lol:

Well. Obviously there are some ladies allowed there. Probably not the type you'd take home to your folks though.

How do they stop the non-working woman going in? From what I recall, there were no bouncers on what can only be described as an iron curtain.

How do they stop the non-working woman going in? From what I recall, there were no bouncers on what can only be described as an iron curtain.

I dunno. I dunno if they even try to police it. I know the gas cookers were attacking non working girls so they came to the decision but I've no idea how it works in practice.

Our hotel is quite close to St Paulis ground so i'll check it out hoping for a tour.

I'd go into any pub but being with the girlfriend kind of stops that. :laugh:

Cheers for the info.

If you want a real eye opener, try a couple of the bars in the St George area.

I'm up for anything. The girlfriend on the other hand.....

Inspector Villiers

Me and the girlfriend were in Hamburg for a wee break in January. We got the 'Hamburg card' which gets you all your travel on city trains and buses plus discounts on attractions, free drinks etc. If your going to be travelling around Hamburg quite a bit it will probably be worth getting. (Although Thinking about it we never had our ticket checked once, and there are no barriers etc at the train stations. Think its all done on trust but I guess if you are caught out the fine might be quite steep.)

Minature world is pretty cool, especially the airport section.

Go to 'Von Der Motte' for breakfast or lunch its a superb hangover cure.

Theres a tunnel thats free to walk through, Elbe tunnel i think, sort of Art Deco. Has a car lift either end so only one car can pass through at a time but its hardly ever used by traffic. A nice wee walk anyway.

If you fancy a wee trip out of the city we got a train to Schwerin, It's about an Hour away and has a kinda fairytale castle/palace thats awesome. Even better I suspect when its not baltic and a blizzard.

The only other thing I can think to tell you is that we were staying in a spa hotel because the missus likes all that pish, but the first thing we were confronted with when entering the spa was a old blokes hairy arse. The Germans are pretty confortable swanning around in the buff in these places. If your going to a spa be prepared for that.

Me and the girlfriend were in Hamburg for a wee break in January. We got the 'Hamburg card' which gets you all your travel on city trains and buses plus discounts on attractions, free drinks etc. If your going to be travelling around Hamburg quite a bit it will probably be worth getting. (Although Thinking about it we never had our ticket checked once, and there are no barriers etc at the train stations. Think its all done on trust but I guess if you are caught out the fine might be quite steep.)

Minature world is pretty cool, especially the airport section.

Go to 'Von Der Motte' for breakfast or lunch its a superb hangover cure.

Theres a tunnel thats free to walk through, Elbe tunnel i think, sort of Art Deco. Has a car lift either end so only one car can pass through at a time but its hardly ever used by traffic. A nice wee walk anyway.

If you fancy a wee trip out of the city we got a train to Schwerin, It's about an Hour away and has a kinda fairytale castle/palace thats awesome. Even better I suspect when its not baltic and a blizzard.

The only other thing I can think to tell you is that we were staying in a spa hotel because the missus likes all that pish, but the first thing we were confronted with when entering the spa was a old blokes hairy arse. The Germans are pretty confortable swanning around in the buff in these places. If your going to a spa be prepared for that.

I've never had a hangover so Von Der Motte doesn't need to be visited although I'll check it out anyway.

I'm not into spa's etc anyway.

He Who Cannot Be Named

The Jolly Rodger pub across from the Millerntor is decent. Sure there is a guy who works there posts here. Also there is an Andrew Driver panini shiney sticker in the mens bogs.

The Jolly Rodger pub across from the Millerntor is decent. Sure there is a guy who works there posts here. Also there is an Andrew Driver panini shiney sticker in the mens bogs.

I'll likely be in there at some point.

Inspector Villiers

The hamburg app on android is really useful too. Hamburg tourismus. Not sure if it's available on iPhone but would think so.

The hamburg app on android is really useful too. Hamburg tourismus. Not sure if it's available on iPhone but would think so.

I've got an HTC M8 so I'm sorted.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm off there today so I'm bumping this for handiness.

Meant to be pissing down.

Don't really get wet in pubs though.  :laugh:

It's the Dollhouse. That's it's name. God that stripper smelt sooo good.

Can't see me being allowed to go to a stripper bar.

Currahee! still after 'female bum fun' from years ago, off to Germany...god loves a trier... :whistling:

I could tell a tale.....

So you can get robbed, ripped off, intimidated, caught up in riots and drowned going for a paddle.

When's the next flight?    :(

Only if you are not used to being confronted by prostitutes

:)

Auld Reekin'

So you can get robbed, ripped off, intimidated, caught up in riots and drowned going for a paddle.

When's the next flight?    :(

In all my many trips to Germany, I've only seen any trouble twice: the first was caused by neo-nazi feckwits at one of the Stuttgart beer-festivals, one of whom smacked a mixed-race US student in the puss, and the second was my drunken ersehole of a German mate (big VfB Stuttgart fan) who tried to pick a fight with a Schalke supporter!

All-in-all Germany is a safe and civilised country, where you will encounter much less potential bother or unacceptable behaviour than you would in Edinburgh, or any other Scottish city.

Yeah but the strippers in dollhouse just smelt amazing.....sorry I know keep going on about it and I'm not trying to avoid talking about her achingly beautiful flawless body.....but that aroma...new stripper smell maybe.....it just made that motorboat perfect.

Decent enough place of what I've saw so far.

The Reeperbahn is quite tacky. Some of the prostitutes are quite pushy.

The queues for some places is a joke. 45 minutes just to get a ticket for the dungeons Ffs. :laugh:

Just noticed SV Hamburg have a friendly tonight against AaB.

Anyone any idea how to get tickets? Their website hasn't got the game listed.

I don't fancy going all the way to the stadium to find its being played elsewhere.

Auld Reekin'

Just noticed SV Hamburg have a friendly tonight against AaB.

Anyone any idea how to get tickets? Their website hasn't got the game listed.

I don't fancy going all the way to the stadium to find its being played elsewhere.

Ask at a tourist information office?

The game is being played in Flensburg.

Makes sense as its not listed.

Slightly too far for a tipsy Scotsman to try and get there.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Ask at a tourist information office?

I've been too idle to leave the pub between showers. :laugh:

You are sooo close to unbelievably sweet smelling strippers.

(Yes....I think I have a problem)

You are sooo close to unbelievably sweet smelling strippers.

(Yes....I think I have a problem)

We passed the Dollhouse.

Stank of stale piss and German lager.

Yes your problem is large....:laugh:

Auld Reekin'

The game is being played in Flensburg.

If the O/P likes mega-hoppy lager, he should try Flensburger Pils - assuming it's available in Hamburg - if not, don't...   :yucky:

Archived