Weather

systemx

indianajones

Long gone are the days of having 'seasons'. The years seems to be a bleak, unsettled mess at the moment. 

Winter is coming. 

Say What Again

BBC 10 day forecast for Edinburgh has about 16-18 degrees and raining, nearly every single day of the 10.

:(

All roads lead to Gorgie

We usually keep this weather for the festival. It has come early this year. The pattern of high pressure keeping England dry in the south and deflecting all the rain up to Scotland looks like our lot for the foreseeable.

Craig Gordons Gloves

We usually keep this weather for the festival. It has come early this year. The pattern of high pressure keeping England dry in the south and deflecting all the rain up to Scotland looks like our lot for the foreseeable.

Effin Tories. :)

82 and sunshine here today.  84 and sunshine yesterday and the day before.  The weather is one of the great things about Minnesota, the temp changes by 100F in the space of 6 months. 

Looking forward to coming back in August when it will most likely be raining, windy and 'lukewarm' for the duration of our holiday in Scotland. 

We're getting the arse-end of a hurricane apparently.

Get used to these 'seasons' though. Its the effects of climate change.

As a hayfever sufferer, bad enough to the point where I've been housebound with it, these type summer's are great....

Scorching here in San Juan De Los terreros,Spain. Reaching for a cold one before cooling off in the private pool. What is this rain you speak of?

weather now looking a bit better for Friday and Saturday, dry and 18 degrees according to the BBC, but it has been a shite summer so far

Fitzroy Pointon

Am I alone in thinking that during my school holidays in the 80's and 90's it was always sunny.  Days like this were few and far between.  Sometimes I think that I'm just looking through rose tinted spectacles but honestly man, summers really are dire these days.  

All roads lead to Gorgie

Effin Tories. :)

82 and sunshine here today. 84 and sunshine yesterday and the day before. The weather is one of the great things about Minnesota, the temp changes by 100F in the space of 6 months.

Looking forward to coming back in August when it will most likely be raining, windy and 'lukewarm' for the duration of our holiday in Scotland.

If it is lukewarm you will be lucky. Hope you have a good time anyway.

indianajones

Am I alone in thinking that during my school holidays in the 80's and 90's it was always sunny.  Days like this were few and far between.  Sometimes I think that I'm just looking through rose tinted spectacles but honestly man, summers really are dire these days.  

You are 100% correct. We used to have proper summers and proper winters.

Now its just this. Wish the seasons would come back! 

Fitzroy Pointon

You are 100% correct. We used to have proper summers and proper winters.

Now its just this. Wish the seasons would come back! 

Last christmas I went to the shop for coke with a t-shirt on  It was pretty depressing.  

indianajones

Last christmas I went to the shop for coke with a t-shirt on  It was pretty depressing.  

Yep. Meant to have winters like 2010 (i think). Chaos and knee deep snow for weeks.

I miss it! 

Placid Casual

Working in an office all summer, I much prefer it this way.

Hot summer days working indoors, walking past tourists and students at lunchtime getting p!ssed up in beer gardens. No thanks!

Fitzroy Pointon

Yep. Meant to have winters like 2010 (i think). Chaos and knee deep snow for weeks.

I miss it! 

Your right, I broke my ankle that boxing day sliding on ice.  Ahhhh them were days.

ArcticJambo

Last 2 were decent. This one shan thus far.

Indeed, last summer from early June anyway was perfect.  In fact the weather was pretty decent right through to Dec.

Anyway, 24hr sunlight here.  :D

23 degrees here today and it feels boiling. 25,29,29,26 & 25 predicted for Tues, Wed, Thurs, fri & sat next week. I actually hate the heat. Don't appreciate a sweaty back and arse crack at all. Give me a steady 21 degrees and I'm happy.

In a way I like the rarity of a sunny day in Scotland. It seemingly lifts the spirits of the whole country in a way that would never happen if it was hot and sunny all the time. A hot sunny day in Scotland is a glorious, treasured, thing.

That said, doubling the regularity of them would be most welcome. Or at least move them all to the weekends. A sunny Tuesday is nae use when you are stuck in an office.

GlasgoJambo

I'm actually peeling from that Wednesday two weeks ago, three hours of tennis followed by an outdoor pint then two hours of lawn bowls.

Them were the days.

Edit - day

maroonlegions

Better get used to it folks, from a geeky perspective :smart:  the Gulf stream velocities and oscillations have been weakening for a while , this natural flow or "oscillation"  is crucial for the jet stream to operate correctly as this is what influences weather patterns from the Gulf of Mexico that influences America  and right up to the Northern hemisphere and Europe.There has been a slow but gradual weakness of this Gulf stream flow over the years. :clock:

Current velocities of the Gulf Stream;

gulf_150617_vel.gif

Figure 1. Gulf Stream velocities one week ago: Wednesday 17 June 2015;

Relative Gulf Stream velocity fields are derived from near-realtime data from the radar altimeters of the satellites EnvisatJason-1, and Jason-2.

link;  http://rads.tudelft.nl/gulfstream/

scottish_chicP

Just back my hols and booking another one already. I need vitamin D in my life.

Haven't read the thread so may have been mentioned but apparently the longest day 21st June was the same temp as the shortest day 21st Dec :(

The Internet

Working in an office all summer, I much prefer it this way.

Hot summer days working indoors, walking past tourists and students at lunchtime getting p!ssed up in beer gardens. No thanks!

:spoton:

Not sure why people are so desperate for sunny scorching roasting weather when you're most likely going to be working. Going to work when it's anything over 18 degrees isn't fun.

indianajones

Better get used to it folks, from a geeky perspective :smart:  the Gulf stream velocities and oscillations have been weakening for a while , this natural flow or "oscillation"  is crucial for the jet stream to operate correctly as this is what influences weather patterns from the Gulf of Mexico that influences America  and right up to the Northern hemisphere and Europe.There has been a slow but gradual weakness of this Gulf stream flow over the years. :clock:

Current velocities of the Gulf Stream;

gulf_150617_vel.gif

Figure 1. Gulf Stream velocities one week ago: Wednesday 17 June 2015;

Relative Gulf Stream velocity fields are derived from near-realtime data from the radar altimeters of the satellites EnvisatJason-1, and Jason-2.

link;  http://rads.tudelft.nl/gulfstream/

Caused by what? Melt water from glaciers due to global warming?

Getintaethem

I'm not asking for tropical weather, not even 22-23 degrees. Just a nice 19-20 with no rain and a light breeze will do. Even just for a month. I won't hold my breath though.

Notorious BIG

The pish weather really is depressing, I work outside in 9 month winters with the only thing to get you through them is the hope a decent summer, then you get this pish, proper raging writing this and taking a glance out the window to pishing rain! the fact you cant do fek all about it is the most frustrating

I really cant wait to **** off from here

scots civil war

feeling your pain chief

trust us to be at the mercy of this ****ing jetstream

gutted bout whats goin on ,we get small snippets and then gone quickly

it was 29 in my vestibule just last week,or the week previous and look now,im sure the plenty of tourists walking around etc are shaking their heads n all

The Internet

feeling your pain chief

trust us to be at the mercy of this ******* jetstream

gutted bout whats goin on ,we get small snippets and then gone quickly

it was 29 in my vestibule just last week,or the week previous and look now,im sure the plenty of tourists walking around etc are shaking their heads n all

29 degrees sounds utterly brutal unless you're abroad and can slip into a nice cool outdoor pool and then return to an air conditioned room. Not sure why anyone would pine for that kind of heat over here.

Forecasts for weather in 5 days and on can generally be ignored. Far too many factors to consider to be reliable.

That's why they're called forecasts.

They're best estimates, considered guesses and shots in the dark with a fairground air rifle on a roundabout whilst drunk wearing uncomfortable underwear

I noticed during the winter that we would get bad weather, about a week later exactly the same weather would hit you guys.  Today we are at 33, by Saturday forecast to be 40 or above, if that winter syndrome works in a week or so you should have good summer weather. I sincerely hope so.  I golfed this morning and it was in the high twenties with a touch of humidity, still my choice of weather, I felt so good after the exercise and heat I broke down and had one beer this afternoon. Followed quickly by a few more.

It was 20 degrees here in Dumfries today :pleasing:

Although it did start raining at about 5

jambos are go!

In a way I like the rarity of a sunny day in Scotland. It seemingly lifts the spirits of the whole country in a way that would never happen if it was hot and sunny all the time. A hot sunny day in Scotland is a glorious, treasured, thing.

That said, doubling the regularity of them would be most welcome. Or at least move them all to the weekends. A sunny Tuesday is nae use when you are stuck in an office.

Agree that you learn to appreciate a lovely day in Scotland. Even in winter a sunny, frosty and calm day is a thing of joy.

loveofthegame

Would barely ever have to leave this country if we could guarantee good summers. I hate that one hour away in London/southern England there is a completely different climate, places that actually get summers.

I love Edinburgh and Scotland but the weather really is depressing most of the time, I'd genuinely partly blame it for our grim demeanours and lack of sporting prowess...

Bert Le Clos

Someone told me the other day that in parts of the UK it was the same temperature on the winter solstice as it was on the summer solstice.

11 degrees.

:muggy:

scots civil war

29 degrees sounds utterly brutal unless you're abroad and can slip into a nice cool outdoor pool and then return to an air conditioned room. Not sure why anyone would pine for that kind of heat over here.

this was newhaven where i live chief,a nice little sun trap at the top of my outside staircase north tip of edinburgh !

this is a bad one make no mistake.i moved back from london 2006 and this is the worst by far.

however,temps are going up next week and tomoro,saturday,looking good at 19 deg.

scots civil war

Would barely ever have to leave this country if we could guarantee good summers. I hate that one hour away in London/southern England there is a completely different climate, places that actually get summers.

I love Edinburgh and Scotland but the weather really is depressing most of the time, I'd genuinely partly blame it for our grim demeanours and lack of sporting prowess...

the climate of a country has massive factors,

the south, south east really is a part of mainland europe,southern and eastern weather patterns, while the rest of the country is at the mercy of the jetstream and dominant atlantic weather activity.

****ing depressing enough to make me think of legging it again .

I'm in Menorca. It's 30 degrees and I've come inside for a wee afternoon siesta. I'm not looking forward to coming back home to the cold and wet.

Fitzroy Pointon

We have a big Mitsubishi air conditioner installed in our office.  Blows out cold air all day long if you want it to.  It could be 30 degrees outside and the office is an ice box.  

Be patient folk, summer is due to start later this evening.

Sun to break through and be up to 21c.

Summer will probably finish tomorrow and it'll be cold and wet.

Archived