Which bank should I move to?

Randle P McMurphy

The People's Chimp

I have ?25k just sitting getting 0.723% interest, used to get 3% interest when they were Lloyds. Where would be best place to put it and be accessible ?

Santander 123. 

Captain America

Been with Santander for years. Never had any problems with them. Easy to move money between different Santander accounts on online banking & payments to/from other banks are quick aswell.

Another vote for Santander here though i have a First Direct account too. Wages go into FD and I transfer in a sum a month (I think ?500) into Santander to meet the terms, pay all the standing orders from Santander and it makes a healthy wedge every month from interst and cashback. First Direct offered ?125 to set up an account so I kind of use it as a current account and Santander as deposit with instant access. The bank switching was all straightforward and banks are really geared up for doing this now. Both FD and Santander apps are fine for any online banking I do.

I've a cool ?25 life savings.

Where to bank. Where to bank. Tough.

deesidejambo

Moved from RBS to Nationwide. No problems and the packaged account has plenty of worthwhile benefits including worldwide travel insurance, mobile phone insurance and car breakdown cover.

Did the same after crappy service from RBS.    Very happy now.  Banks can feck off.

Santander 123 without a doubt. If you are married, open 3 accounts (including one shared) meaning you can get 3% on up to 60k. If your wife doesn't pay tax, stick the most in her account so she gets it tax free and any remainder in yours. 20% or 40% of 3% is still more than most cash ISAs. I also have a BoS account I've had since I was wee. I just circulate money around the accounts to meet the requirements and have direct debits coming out of each one which qualifies for the perks.

As for tesco, if you get offered 10000 points, that's a good deal as it can be worth ?200 in double up deals which can be spent online. Basically several departments at tesco online will let your points double up to buy stuff.

Santander 123 without a doubt. If you are married, open 3 accounts (including one shared) meaning you can get 3% on up to 60k. If your wife doesn't pay tax, stick the most in her account so she gets it tax free and any remainder in yours. 20% or 40% of 3% is still more than most cash ISAs. I also have a BoS account I've had since I was wee. I just circulate money around the accounts to meet the requirements and have direct debits coming out of each one which qualifies for the perks.

As for tesco, if you get offered 10000 points, that's a good deal as it can be worth ?200 in double up deals which can be spent online. Basically several departments at tesco online will let your points double up to buy stuff.

The new tax allowance for savings that is taking effect soon means that each of you get the first ?1,000 of interest tax free each year.

I've a cool ?25 life savings.

Where to bank. Where to bank. Tough.

You have to start somewhere.

The new tax allowance for savings that is taking effect soon means that each of you get the first ?1,000 of interest tax free each year.

Yeah that will be good, higher tax rate payers only get first ?500 tax free

Archived