Which bank should I move to?

Randle P McMurphy

Randle P McMurphy

I have stuck with RBS through the turmoil of the last few years however with the news of the governments sell off today, it's now time to move elsewhere. Any suggestions on a decent alternative? I mostly bank on-line and currently have a royalties account as I like the travel insurance and breakdown cover without having to think about it.

Bank of Scotland platinum vantage (or something like that) is what I have. Quite happy with it.

Randle P McMurphy

Bank of Scotland platinum vantage (or something like that) is what I have. Quite happy with it.

Meant to say anyone but bank of Scotland, I had the worst customer experience of my life with them. Would never go back

Santander 1-2-3 current account is where it's at.

3% cashback on mobile phone contracts, broadband and TV packages
2% cashback on gas and leccy

1% cashback on council tax and 123 mortgage repayments

1% interest on balances of ?1000-?2000

2% interest on balances of ?2000-?3000

3% interest on balances of ?3000-?20,000

?2 a month account fee, ?500 incoming each month and at least two direct debits are all you need to qualify.

Lots of other "123" branded accounts too, including extra special rates on ISAs and other savings accounts.

:munny:

Do any banks allow you to just migrate your account over to them? As in take all your standing orders, direct debits, and overdrafts?

Do any banks allow you to just migrate your account over to them? As in take all your standing orders, direct debits, and overdrafts?

Yes. It is now supposed to be very easy. All you should have to do is go to the bank you want to move to and give them the details of your existing account, tell them you just want all the same D/D's etc and they do the rest. There is a maximum time scale to make it happen, I think it's a week.

Moved from RBS to Nationwide. No problems and the packaged account has plenty of worthwhile benefits including worldwide travel insurance, mobile phone insurance and car breakdown cover.

Getintaethem

I'm thinking of changing banks too. Have banked with BOS/Halifax for over twenty years and am fed up with them. Like Dave said beware of packaged accounts, the insurance generally turns out to be shit and you're paying money for nothing. Was thinking of going to Santander but might go to a few and see who gives the best deal.

Randle P McMurphy

Read up on them and nationwide flex plus seems best for what I want, cheers

Psychedelicropcircle

****ed off from Rbs in protest....joined natwest....doh

I'm thinking of changing banks too. Have banked with BOS/Halifax for over twenty years and am fed up with them. Like Dave said beware of packaged accounts, the insurance generally turns out to be shit and you're paying money for nothing. Was thinking of going to Santander but might go to a few and see who gives the best deal.

The phone insurance on my RBS account is decent. I have had to use it once for a lost phone and it was very straightforward.

The phone insurance on my RBS account is decent. I have had to use it once for a lost phone and it was very straightforward.

I've had 2 new phones on mine. Used the breakdown service a few times as well.

The app is decent too.

I like my royalties gold account.

I like the look of the Santander 123 Account.

You can make quite a bit in cashback and interest.

I've had 2 new phones on mine. Used the breakdown service a few times as well.

The app is decent too.

I like my royalties gold account.

Pity they are scrapping it and will be charging more soon. Only added benefit on the account they are moving us to, as far as I can tell, is a couple of passes for some tourist attractions.

I recently moved to Santander from RBS and it was a piece of piss, they brought across all direct debits and standing orders and it was sorted within a week (although with the new current account switch rules in place I think it should be the same switching to/from any bank).

I have ?25k just sitting getting 0.723% interest, used to get 3% interest when they were Lloyds. Where would be best place to put it and be accessible ?

I have ?25k just sitting getting 0.723% interest, used to get 3% interest when they were Lloyds. Where would be best place to put it and be accessible ?

FoH it's for the best

Does it ALL really have to be accessible? Why not lump ?15k into a shares ISA? There are a couple of current accounts where you'll get 3% on balances up to ?20k but I'm not sure who they're with.

I'm not really one to talk about accessibility, I've got more than ?25k earning less interest than yours. It's waiting to go into a house purchase but won't be needed for a few months. I just can't be arsed moving it anywhere.

mrmarkus1981

Ive never had a problem with Santanders 123 account. They give ME money every month, thats good!

You would get 3% interest a month on the first ?20k with the Santander 123 current account, as long as you meat other criteria around having x number of direct debits set up and pay in x amount each month (can't remember the exact numbers, but not big)

Phil Dunphy

Moved from RBS to Nationwide. No problems and the packaged account has plenty of worthwhile benefits including worldwide travel insurance, mobile phone insurance and car breakdown cover.

This.

That and the complete lack of any bullshit charges. The commission free cash abroad is cracking as well :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clydesdale, ?150 quid for moving and 5% interest up to ?2000. If you aren't happy move elsewhere after 6 months. Nationwide Flex PLus is decent if you have a joint account, 2 x mobile insurance and family travel insurance for ?10 a month.

Disser Pointon

?2 a month account fee, ?500 incoming each month and at least two direct debits are all you need to qualify.

Lots of other "123" branded accounts too, including extra special rates on ISAs and other savings accounts.

What's their mobile app like, I have 3 RBS accounts and really like the ease of moving money between accounts on their app?

I left RBS after the referendum and opened a Santander 123 account. Never had a problem with it and the cashback more than covers the ?2 monthly fee, plus 3% interest up to ?20K 

Tesco give 1.4% with instant access, Newcastle Building Society I get 2% but that is a monthly saver. 

Yes. It is now supposed to be very easy. All you should have to do is go to the bank you want to move to and give them the details of your existing account, tell them you just want all the same D/D's etc and they do the rest. There is a maximum time scale to make it happen, I think it's a week.

Most do. Some will give you cash of up to ?150 to do it this way, after a qualifying period.

Tommy Brown

Been with First Direct since 1998 and very happy with them.

Although, this thread has made me want to look into some of the posted accounts.

Bindy Badgy

Does it have a negative effect on credit rating if you move banks?

It shows on your credit report when you apply for a new account. This isn't a particularly big deal.

Having lots of different accounts open can also be viewed negatively by some organisations

Clydesdale, ?150 quid for moving and 5% interest up to ?2000. If you aren't happy move elsewhere after 6 months. Nationwide Flex PLus is decent if you have a joint account, 2 x mobile insurance and family travel insurance for ?10 a month.

I'm moving away from the Clydesdale. Their online banking is rubbish, usually takes 3-4 days to identify what you've bought with a debit card. No option for online statements meaning I get 6 seperate envelopes through the door each month for each of my 6 accounts. This also means 6 letters for any changes to terms, interest rates etc

The only reason I'm with them is I used to work for them. Now my employee mortgage is finished, I'm leaving asap

I keep getting offered incentives to take out a Tesco Bank Current Account such as 10.000 Club Card points.

Has anybody switched to Tesco and if so are they happy with the service.

And is 10,000 Club Card points worth anything?

grumpyjambo

I was with Smile, great service with no complaints but I ditched them when the hedge funds bought in, now with Reliance Bank - a proper ethical bank where the profits go to where the money is needed.

TSB are doing 5% interest on current accounts

Aye but only up to ?2,000

:vrface:

5% of ?2000 is ?100 a year.

3% of ?20,000 (Santander) is ?600 a year.

Aye but only up to ?2,000

:vrface:

5% of ?2000 is ?100 a year.

3% of ?20,000 (Santander) is ?600 a year.

Aye, and the boys got ?25k. He could easy max them both and his ?2k will work harder

Jambof3tornado

Does it have a negative effect on credit rating if you move banks?

Yes but its very short lived. My rating on noddle went from 5/5 down to 4/5 when I switched current accounts. Lasted 3 months then went back up.

2 posters, 1 question.

Why? 

I have stuck with RBS through the turmoil of the last few years however with the news of the governments sell off today, it's now time to move elsewhere. 

Why after the government announcing it will look to start the sell off process, do you think it is the right time to move? 

I left RBS after the referendum 

Why after the referendum? 

If it was as a 'protest' then would it not have made more sense to leave them before the referendum? 

Yes but its very short lived. My rating on noddle went from 5/5 down to 4/5 when I switched current accounts. Lasted 3 months then went back up.

I wouldn't pay much attention. My "rating" on noddle flipped down to 3 but it hasn't stopped my getting a mortgage or any credit cards. It went down due to my moving house from my own property into a rental and also possibly due to high exposure to credit with 5 or 6 cards.

Jambof3tornado

I wouldn't pay much attention. My "rating" on noddle flipped down to 3 but it hasn't stopped my getting a mortgage or any credit cards. It went down due to my moving house from my own property into a rental and also possibly due to high exposure to credit with 5 or 6 cards.

Nothing else changed though and annual credit expert monthly report showed a similar dip. Not concerned but changing current account does have a very small negative impact for a very short oeriod of time.

I keep getting offered incentives to take out a Tesco Bank Current Account such as 10.000 Club Card points.

Has anybody switched to Tesco and if so are they happy with the service.

And is 10,000 Club Card points worth anything?

Worth ?100 to spend in Tesco. Or ?400 to spend in certain chain restaurants.

Marooned In Oz

Snap.

Plus free withdrawals at Santander atms in spain which is really handy!

Worth ?100 to spend in Tesco. Or ?400 to spend in certain chain restaurants.

Cheers. Only problem being I live in an Asda town.

Meant to say anyone but bank of Scotland, I had the worst customer experience of my life with them. Would never go back

Been with the BoS for over 25 years.

They are shite but I'm too lazy to do anything about it TBH.

Should really move but just feel itsbetter the devil you know.

Archived