'keeper tops.

tweegy

Anyone else find it strange when you see a 'keeper wearing short sleeves?

Better look than the elbow and shoulder pads that they used to have!

Benny Factor

A quid on 3-2 Sevilla at 25/1. What's the chances of there only being one goal in the second half after four in the first!

airdriejambo3

A quid on 3-2 Sevilla at 25/1. What's the chances of there only being one goal in the second half after four in the first!

has the goalkeeper got short sleeves?

Better odds than you getting the right thread? :)

Benny Factor

Better odds than you getting the right thread? :)

I wondered how my post wasn't showing on the match thread! :)

The Gasman

Anyone else find it strange when you see a 'keeper wearing short sleeves?

Was it not the case that it used to be a rule that keepers must wear long sleeved tops to assist referees..? :unsure:

Was it not the case that it used to be a rule that keepers must wear long sleeved tops to assist referees..? :unsure:

Not sure, they were for a long time only allowed to wear one of four colours. Gordon, Buffon and cassilas excepted, I get the same feeling seeing a keeper in short sleeves as I do with a left footer taking a penalty! :D

I think you are right, back in the good old days, when keepers only ever wore green or yellow, and nae gloves

has the goalkeeper got short sleeves?

Hence the thread actually!

I think you are right, back in the good old days, when keepers only ever wore green or yellow, and nae gloves

Also royal blue and red I think. Lasted til mid eighties?

Neilson's Shank

In England until the change yellow was reserved for the international teams keeper iirc

Craig Gordon liked wearing short sleeves..............

Correct, he did this because Gigi Buffon was the man he looked up to most in football. If I remember correctly.

andyscott82

Correct, he did this because Gigi Buffon was the man he looked up to most in football. If I remember correctly.

I'm sure I read ages ago that he said he felt long sleeves restricted his movement. I could be imagining it though, but possibly to do with his slight build when he was breaking through.

If i was in goals I'd copy the Gabor Kiraly costume, Pair of grey cottons on with the football socks pulled up over the ankles, looks comfy.

Doctor FinnBarr

Also royal blue and red I think. Lasted til mid eighties?

Well certainly Hugh Sprott of Ayr used to wear all green when they played Rangers and all blue when they played Celtic

In European winter temperatures, I can't understand who you'd want to.

john brownlee

before gloves were the norm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

john brownlee

Used to be a quiz question.....what would a goalie do to get sent off, that out field players do all the time......answer...... wear short sleeve shirt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craig Gordon liked wearing short sleeves..............

Iker Casillas too. I remember reading Gordon said he did this because Buffon and Casillas were his goalkeeping idols.

Anyway, short sleeves are nothing. I want to see more keepers wearing joggers.

Iker Casillas too. I remember reading Gordon said he did this because Buffon and Casillas were his goalkeeping idols.

5479042.jpg

6828221-large.jpg

Prince Buaben

211296-bells-premier-division-hearts-v-r

The Treasurer

The correct outfit for a REAL goalkeeper is all black, gloves optional (copyright Cruickie)

I'm sure I've read somewhere that if a keeper starts a match with long sleeves he's not allowed to roll them up at any point during the 90.

PsychocAndy

The correct outfit for a REAL goalkeeper is all black, gloves optional (copyright Cruickie)

As much as I loved Cruikie, Lev Yashin held that copyright.

sent by my phone using an enhanced Stephen Hawking like voice

Taffarel used to wear short sleeves as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taffarel used to wear short sleeves as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yip but he was as far removed from a real GK as you could get anywhere anytime!!

Like the Arsenal keeper today ), who is also sporting short sleeves ;)

Stephane Grappelli

When San Iker came on as a sub for Madrid at Hampden in 2002 he had to quickly cut the sleeves off his jersey before coming on.

King Of The Cat Cafe

I think that is a quiz question that does not bear scrutiny.  The law has always been that the goalkeeper must wear a shirt of a colour that distinguishes him from both teams and the referee.  Does not mention length of sleeves.

Anyway, another question: Why do so few goalkeepers have beards?

Because have too many close shaves.

Archived