The "I have a spare double bed" white van men

Swanny17

On 3 occasions now (1 for me, and twice for my wife in recent days) we've had a white van pull up and the driver say he has a spare double bed due to a duplicate order and wondering if we want it for free?!

Anyone else seen these clowns, no doubt wanting to get you home and rob you blind (or worse!).

It has been in 3 separate locations, all within Edinburgh.

Guy's just trying to earn a living.

By giving away a free bed?

The Internet

If this has happened to you 3 times I think you have some kind of stalker.

alwaysthereinspirit

By giving away a free bed?

No the robbing bit is where the real money is at. :bobby:

Der Kaiser

On 3 occasions now (1 for me, and twice for my wife in recent days) we've had a white van pull up and the driver say he has a spare double bed due to a duplicate order and wondering if we want it for free?!

Anyone else seen these clowns, no doubt wanting to get you home and rob you blind (or worse!).

It has been in 3 separate locations, all within Edinburgh.

There's a bed in the back of the van? Getting home sounds like the least of your worries.

If this has happened to you 3 times I think you have some kind of stalker.

1 time a month or so ago at Broomhall (I was on lunch break), 2nd time on Election Day same happened to my wife at Milton Road, and today in Currie where he had apparently just delivered to the new houses down the street (except there are none). Just a bit weird that's all, and freaked the wife out a bit as she had our 2 young daughters with her.

I'm aware that this sounds like the daft bint nonsense on Facebook by the way, but it's not. Just strange.

I've been offered mattresses before in a similar fashion but it's usually for ?50.

If its free, it's clearly an "in" for the rob.

Not a mattress but I was sitting in houston industrial estate in my then taxi a couple of years ago.. two guys pull up, thick irish accents saying theyve just picked from a warehouse and 3 extra flatscreen tvs had been put on the van that werent on the order.. would I like one for ?150? Three things.. it was a Sunday... no uniforms and no warehouse that deals with that type of thing in that industrial estate! I think they were up to no good...

Robbie Neilson

Just had a texts that thers an eastern ueropean gang  are going round and trying to ABDUCT people into their vans! PLease share and stay safe x

Just tell them to take it out there and then and you'll get someone to collect it.

1 time a month or so ago at Broomhall (I was on lunch break), 2nd time on Election Day same happened to my wife at Milton Road, and today in Currie where he had apparently just delivered to the new houses down the street (except there are none). Just a bit weird that's all, and freaked the wife out a bit as she had our 2 young daughters with her.

I'm aware that this sounds like the daft bint nonsense on Facebook by the way, but it's not. Just strange.

Yup, same happened to me last week.  I didn't read much into it at the time, and assumed it was a one off. A bit strange if it's happening all over town though.

Not a mattress but I was sitting in houston industrial estate in my then taxi a couple of years ago.. two guys pull up, thick irish accents saying theyve just picked from a warehouse and 3 extra flatscreen tvs had been put on the van that werent on the order.. would I like one for ?150? Three things.. it was a Sunday... no uniforms and no warehouse that deals with that type of thing in that industrial estate! I think they were up to no good...

I experienced similar. In a petrol station in Houston, had a couple of boys with thick Mexican accents offering me a free 80 inch telly.

I'm aware that this sounds like the daft bint nonsense on Facebook by the way,

Well, you got that right.

If you're feeling harassed, call plod. I would. What you describe sure as hell ain't normal.

Edit-just realised it's all different locations so it's not like he's following you. That'd shit me right up. Sounds like a shite scam.

Happened to a friend of mine a few weeks back but it wasn't for free. Ended up paying ?100 just to get rid of the guy.

Happened to a friend of mine a few weeks back but it wasn't for free. Ended up paying ?100 just to get rid of the guy.

Could your friend not just have told him to feck off?

Would get tae **** and if i see you at my door again I'll tan yer ****ing windaes ya ***** not suffice?

I seen an article in the news a while back mentioning this.

Said the beds are not even new and are rubbish, or poor quality..

Sort of recycled beds scam.

Would get tae **** and if i see you at my door again I'll tan yer ******* windaes ya ***** not suffice?

I don't know the guy personally so don't know.

It's probably not as easy as that though. Door to door salesmen are pretty good at selling you s*** you don't need and if a dodgy bloke in a van turns up at your house, your probably more concerned that your house windows would be tanned in too.

I don't know the guy personally so don't know.

It's probably not as easy as that though. Door to door salesmen are pretty good at selling you s*** you don't need and if a dodgy bloke in a van turns up at your house, your probably more concerned that your house windows would be tanned in too.

Take a frying pan with you to the door then, I've never bought anything or even considered buying anything from a door to door salesman, even the gypsies that want to hack at my trees or clean the gutters get told to **** off.

Do The Dance

I've been offered mattresses in the past, even got flashed down by someone on opposite side of the road whilst driving! A 'no thanks' has always done the job though. EH12 area.

At different times I have been offered speakers, trainers, pressure washers and chainsaws.

Didn't go for any of those tempting offers.

I know someone who bought a car stereo from someone dodgy and let them come back to fit it at their house. Reckon it was only in the car for one night before it was pinched ...

Shanks said no

I had the "Italian" bloke try to sell me designer leather jackets in an EH3 street a few years back. About 2 years later my Bro In Law was stopped and he bought a couple. He was a little stunned when I was able to recant the speal he had fallen for.

I got it a lot few years ago. They had been at a bed show ! Boss said to sell the beds after it. Always had Newcastle accents.

Stuart Lyon

Once had a guy approach me in a petrol station saying he was from Italy and was about to return home but didn't want to take the unsold leather jackets he had back with him so was I interested in buying one for ?50. I respectfully declined.

Rastajambo

Had a boy try to sell me lots of frozen food from Iceland once at the end of my street.  Told him "id love to but my freezer is already full".

He must have stolen it out of a relatives flat for some quick cash :uhoh2:

Guy at work bought a flat screen telly from someone that approached him at a garage.

Needless to say it didn't work. When he took it to a repair shop the guy told him there was nothing inside it :lol:

Heres Rixxy

That's terrible hunni hope u r ok now. Just makes me think it could have been little Josh. Please share everyone so this guy can be locked up for life. Stay safe xx

That's terrible hunni hope u r ok now. Just makes me think it could have been little Josh. Please share everyone so this guy can be locked up for life. Stay safe xx

PMSL 

Daydream Believer

Take a frying pan with you to the door then, I've never bought anything or even considered buying anything from a door to door salesman, even the gypsies that want to hack at my trees or clean the gutters get told to **** off.

:biggrin:

I don't know why that made me laugh so much. A golf club seems the natural choice, but the frying pan adds the element of hilarity.

the general

Once had a guy approach me in a petrol station saying he was from Italy and was about to return home but didn't want to take the unsold leather jackets he had back with him so was I interested in buying one for ?50. I respectfully declined.

happened to me Armani jackets so they said

Shanks said no

happened to me Armani jackets so they said

Probably the same bloke(s), happened to me on the steps of Legal Aid Board. Thought it wouldn't be a good idea to take the potential knock off back into the office.

Just had a texts that thers an eastern ueropean gang are going round and trying to ABDUCT people into their vans! PLease share and stay safe x

Hope ur okay babe some guy at asda tried to take Britney-Chantel but he looked Muslim x

Governor Tarkin

I don't know why that made me laugh so much. A golf club seems the natural choice, but the frying pan adds the element of hilarity.

Although a golf club is undoubtably a good choice for open areas, they're too unwieldly for a situation such as this. There generally isn't enough room to acquire the desired purchase.

The frying pan is the natural weapon of choice for an enclosed space such as a hallway, front porch, or stairwell.

The plot thickens. In the past 2 days, I have had confirmation from my bank that my credit card details have been stolen and I got a Final Reminder today for an electricity bill with a company I've never used sent to my address. *** scallywags!

I'm just glad the bill wasn't addressed to Matt Ress.

J.T.F.Robertson

PMSL 

A bit late here, but likewise!  :biggrin:

The People's Chimp

:cornette:

Doctor FinnBarr

Although a golf club is undoubtably a good choice for open areas, they're too unwieldly for a situation such as this. There generally isn't enough room to acquire the desired purchase.

The frying pan is the natural weapon of choice for an enclosed space such as a hallway, front porch, or stairwell.

No way Pedro, my Mrs swears by the rolling-pin. One behind the front door, one behind the back.

For the record, they've never moved in 9 years, no-one ever attacks us!

Archived