6 + 5 rule

LarrysRightFoot

LarrysRightFoot

Just been watching SSN and Sepp Blatter has been on and says that UEFA will start to introduce a rule which requires teams to feild a minimum amount of players in their starting 11 eligible to play for the national team team of the country the team is from by the 2010/2011 season.

In 2010/11 - it will be 4 players + 7 foreigners

In 2011/12 - 5 + 6 foreigners

In 2012/13 - it will finally be 6 + 5 foriengers.

IMO this is a very good thing and its about time it is introduced. I mean look at teams like Arsenal - its a disgrace!

I realise some people will think it will have implications for us but to be honest we feild our fair share of Scotsman and by the time its introduced hopefully we will have a steady stream of players coming through the youth system - however it may effect us signing youth from all over the world - unless they get duel passorts - and thats a loophole that will need to be looked at.

Just been watching SSN and Sepp Blatter has been on and says that UEFA will start to introduce a rule which requires teams to feild a minimum amount of players in their starting 11 eligible to play for the national team team of the country the team is from by the 2010/2011 season.

IMO this is a very good thing and its about time it is introduced. I mean look at teams like Arsenal - its a disgrace!

I realise some people will think it will have implications for us but to be honest we feild our fair share of Scotsman and by the time its introduced hopefully we will have a steady stream of players coming through the youth system - however it may effect us signing youth from all over the world - unless they get duel passorts - and thats a loophole that will need to be looked at.

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16196

Guest JamboRobbo

Glad to see we're ahead of the game here with our own version at HMFC.......

6 footballers, plus 5 Kaunus duds? ;)

200milesfromgorgie

no mention of McGhee? Mods please close thread.

.... i'm joking of course.

Sorry Praha didnt notice your thread.

Cool mate. Just a wee note for the mods to merge is all.

:)

LarrysRightFoot

Sepp says he has written backing form all the major football associations in europe.

What will happen to the mighty Sepp's plan if the big clubs say no?

If???

Sepp says he has written backing form all the major football associations in europe.

In England, I imagine that means the FA. Unfortunately, the EPL is the voice of big football clubs in England.

LarrysRightFoot

I say **** the big clubs they have too much control and it is ruining football. Sepp was right it was ridiculous that England had 3 teams in the semi-final of the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!

Something has to change in football because it is becoming farce.

Glad to see we're ahead of the game here with our own version at HMFC.......

6 footballers, plus 5 Kaunus duds? ;)

When were the likes of Elliot, Stewart and Neilson associated with Kaunus?

I think the non foreign players as you call them can be foreign as long as you have had them since youth age groups.

I don't understand this mentality one bit.

Sounds like subtle racism imo*.

Not calling you racist.

bean counter

I thought it would need a new piece of European legislation for this to come into effect otherwise it is against employment law

LarrysRightFoot

I do not believe it is racist, i wouldnt want to see a Spanish team feild 11 Scottish players, does that make me racist against Scots? Arsenal are an English club thats part of thier identity. How can thier English fans identify with them if they feild 11 'foreign' players?

ToadKiller Dog

Football fans will identify with any player as long as they are winning/challenging nationality only becomes an issue when that stops.

I cant see theb EU agreeing to those rules and it would lead to court cases ,any way most european nations will just make it easier to get a Passport (UK most likely excepted)

LarrysRightFoot

Thats the problem - too many people 'idenitfy' with teams/players because they are winning. Thats why the big clubs are getting bigger and more and more teams are going into administration. People and in this I include probably about 50% of the Rangers and Celtic fans in this country only 'support' them because they are winning. Everything about football these days is too superficial!

I realise i am ranting like a bit of a madman but i need to get a few things off my chest! :mad:;)

It certainly is. Best footballing team in engerlund (joint with ManUre in my book), run as a business, sellouts every week, young thriving team, plenty of dough. I think Arsenal go about their business in the correct way. Why pay through the nose for english "talent" when you can pop across to France, Spain or Africa and find an athletically superior version of an english player costing tens times as much? Bollocks to quotas. The only teams that complain about foreigners are teams like ours who buy shedloads of pish.

ToadKiller Dog

This decision if made law would strengthen the French,Portuguese and Spanish leagues as under French laws all citizens of former French colonies are entitled to French passport ,so would weaken african nations ,Spain and Portugal afford easy passports to south American players so could weaken south americian football.

So for weaker nations this decision would be a disaster.

Article 39 of the amended EC Treaty states that:

1. Freedom of movement for workers shall be secured within the Community.

2. Such freedom of movement shall entail the abolition of any discrimination based on nationality between workers of the Member States as regards employment, remuneration and other conditions of work and employment.

3. It shall entail the right, subject to limitations justified on grounds of public policy, public security or public health:

(a) to accept offers of employment actually made;

(B) to move freely within the territory of Member States for this purpose;

© to stay in a Member State for the purpose of employment in accordance with the provisions governing the employment of nationals of that State laid down by law, regulation or administrative action;

(d) to remain in the territory of a Member State after having been employed in that State, subject to conditions which shall be embodied in implementing regulations to be drawn up by the Commission.

4. The provisions of this article shall not apply to employment in the public service.

The right to free movement is has both 'horizontal' and 'vertical' direct effective, such that a private citizen can invoke the right, without more, in an ordinary court, against other persons, both governmental and non-governmental.

LarrysRightFoot

Brow so you would be happy if every scottish team played 11 foreign players? Then scotland would be picking first divison players, then what hope would we have?

Say you had a son who had the talent to be a footballer but need proper coaching but everyteam in britian turned him down because its cheaper to bring in an african player, is that a good thing? Incidentally this makes african, french etc national teams stronger and puts scotland even further behind!

And anyway about foriegners being cheaper and better its a lot of nonsense! there is plenty of talent in scotland and england that (until now, as things are getting better) has been failed by the scouting in this country. I know from personal experince, i went to school with a scotland internationalist who, though he has talent, got where he is due to who his dad knew! there was players from other backgrounds who didnt have his connections but were far far better players that didnt make it down to a lack of proper scouting in this country!

Charlie-Brown

There is currently on going EU debate - perhaps even draft legislation to deal with this issue in sport and making exemptions to employment legislation to encourage an increase in 'nationals' within sports teams - it's not just football that's affected by this but other team sports like basketball, rugby & other sports...Radio5 live had a programme about this quite recently - apparently kids like Rapnik or Kostadinov etc who spend the requisite number of years developing in that country will also be deemed as 'nationals' thus negating any freedom of movement issues.

how would this be applied to the home nations though (possibly excluding england)

if a foreign player is eligible for a british passport through having lived in the UK long enough what home nation will he be eligible for? if it is to do with where he lived/played what if he has played in two countries? if it is open season can you guess what country will attract the best of the foreign brits and what countries will struggle.

it also creates unfairness to some degree with the likes of driver who would have been eligible for a passport and to play for scotland had he been born outside the uk (ireland for example)

the countries that suffer most from the current problem are the countries that have many former colonies (england, france, spain) and could more easily abuse the system while most other countries it will not have a large affect on.

it would also make tactics such as the old firm buying all the best scottish players to weaken the opposition that much more effective.

Ron Burgundy

I'm hoping that KFC pick up on this and introduce something similiar.

The amount of bother I have at the drive-thru is frightening.

Dunno how football can be treated differently.

The EU would crush any attempt to place restrictions on those players with EU member state passports. One of the key principles of the EU is the free movement of goods, services and labour.

LarrysRightFoot

Number 16 - players from former british colonies must decide on which home nation (if any) they want to play for. They get a british passport and are elgible to play for any of the home nations until they decide on one.

If you are born in a home nation ala Driver in England you can only play for that nation, unless you have parentage from another nation.

Rudolf's Mate

Wont happen..... If they try someone will take them to the European Court saying that they are discriminating!!!

It'd be illegal under employment laws.

The EU is actually doing some good.

If FIFA or UEFA say "you must have 6 players of X nationality in your squad", they'd be discriminating.

Players at the club who are of different nationality would have the right to sue claiming unfair working conditions (i.e. not getting a game because they're not Scottish).

And they'd win. No contest.

It's a difficult concept...on one hand it's a great idea and I reckon we'd notice the difference pretty quickly in terms of the amount of young, Scottish players coming through. Anything which has the professional clubs looking more closely at grassroots football and youth players is a wonderful thing. It goes without saying that the cash would start to flow more readily from the wealthiest clubs back down through the lower ranks. It's not language which separates us from the players we watch, it's money money money. A move like this would see much more community involvement and might go some way to narrowing the 'identity' gap a bit...football might get its local roots back.

On the other hand, it's restrictive and discriminatory. Hmmm.

Archived