If applying for new licence, will it have UK flag on it?

HMFC-1874

HMFC-1874

just heard about this, personally I feel I'm Scottish (that's me though) not starting this topic to start war over what people think they are or not. It might sound trivial but on any other legal document I put have when asked I put in Scottish. I was a yes voter in the referendum however regardless of the vote I would abide what ever the vote was. that being said I should not be forced to have something a legal document that I disagree with.

However I feel getting forced with the UK flag is wrong , if any flag is to go onto my licence I want my home nation (Scotland).

Can you opt out of the flag?

I'm not looking to start arguments here by the way and if mods feel it needs locked then feel free.

heartsfc_fan

I have one of the newer licenses and the logo is this (blue logo):

article-0-19153068000005DC-12_468x309.jp

Does it really matter?

The answer is no, it doesn't.

It's a shiny bit of plastic that allows you to drive a car.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

just heard about this, personally I feel I'm Scottish (that's me though) not starting this topic to start war over what people think they are or not. It might sound trivial but on any other legal document I put have when asked I put in Scottish. I was a yes voter in the referendum however regardless of the vote I would abide what ever the vote was. that being said I should not be forced to have something a legal document that I disagree with.

However I feel getting forced with the UK flag is wrong , if any flag is to go onto my licence I want my home nation (Scotland).

I'm not looking to start arguments here by the way and if mods feel it needs locked then feel free.

Honestly, how old are you?

Matthew Le Tissier

:facepalm:

Prince Buaben

Really?

You sound like my mate in Linlithgow; you're name isn't Malcolm per chance, is it?

:rolleyes:

It also lights up like a Christmas tree under UV light. It's quite spectacular in a sad sort of way.

Eric Shin

You've upset the clique on here , you get one chirping away and the rest of them come out

Dusk_Till_Dawn

You've upset the clique on here , you get one chirping away and the rest of them come out

Amused is the word you're looking for.

loveofthegame

Jeezo, not enough :facepalm: on planet earth for this.

You applying for one of those Scottish Passports too pal......

Hope your Tory vote today wasn't wasted.

Seymour M Hersh

It just says UK with the EU stars around it still doesn't it?

No Union Jack.

Union Jack is on a Royal Navy ship otherwise it's the Union Flag.

I lost my drivers lisence 3 year ago and never replaced it. Pointless things

Pointless until you need to produce it or need it to hire a car/van etc. 

3fingersreid

I've still got the old paper license how much does it cost to get a card license ?

Pointless until you need to produce it or need it to hire a car/van etc. 

Not if you have a chauffeur. Perhaps Lewis is much richer than we give him credit for. :)

TheMaganator

:rofl:

I take it you won't be asking Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State to request and require your safe passage either?

Hate it break it to you, pal, but you're British.

Unfortunately for you, legally you're British which means legal documents will state as such.

For example, I'm pretty sure when you fill in visa's for travelling you have to put British or its invalid.

Geoff Kilpatrick

It won't in Norn Iron which has caused seethe.

A DUP "red line" in coalition negotiations, probably.

Finally Someone who knows the difference.

Might apply for one so it will be a historic thing very soon.

SpikeDudley

From Wikipedia:

The claim that the term Union Jack properly refers only to naval usage has been disputed, following historical investigations by the Flag Institute in 2013.[4][5][note 2]

If you want to get really anal about it a jack is a smaller version of a national flag that is flown at the bow of a vessel when it is in harbour. So a small version of any national flag displayed this way is a jack. 

Strachsuit

:rofl:

I take it you won't be asking Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State to request and require your safe passage either?

Hate it break it to you, pal, but you're British.

:lol:

Sooperstar

Finally my arse. It gets brought up by smart arses on here every time someone mentions a Union Jack. It's like the folk that love to point out that Scottish money isn't actually legal tender.

Well done you for having some general knowledge. Nobody cares though.

That also doubles as an ID card.... big brother is watching.....

NewYorkJambo

Your nationality - like it or not - is British. If you are completing immigration forms in other countries and writing 'Scottish' I'm surprised you haven't been asked to fill some of them in again. Per your passport, you are British.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

I lost my drivers lisence 3 year ago and never replaced it. Pointless things

Do you not use it for ID? I use mine regularly, in fact I needed it today for buying Euros!

Edit: On topic, who gives a shit whether it's got a Saltire or a UF? :lol:

Perhaps the OP could pit a wee sticker over the flag and draw a different one on it.  I'm toying with being Namibian next week.

Do you not use it for ID? I use mine regularly, in fact I needed it today for buying Euros!

Edit: On topic, who gives a shit whether it's got a Saltire or a UF? :lol:

Aye, that's when it becomes a pain tbh, have to carry my passport about.

Think I'll get a new one when i can be arsed filling out the form.

Your nationality - like it or not - is British. If you are completing immigration forms in other countries and writing 'Scottish' I'm surprised you haven't been asked to fill some of them in again. Per your passport, you are British.

Been around the world and never had a problem with writing Scottish. Always been well recieved. :verysmug: never will I write British. Petty, yes but :jjyay:

I P Knightley

I take it you refused to vote in the British election the other day, too?

I don't want a british flag on anything to do with me either, I'm Scottish.

**** yer queen.

Finally my arse. It gets brought up by smart arses on here every time someone mentions a Union Jack. It's like the folk that love to point out that Scottish money isn't actually legal tender.

Well done you for having some general knowledge. Nobody cares though.

It's the classic internet smart arse who has to google everything to pretend they are Intelligent.

Mods - I'm including this to be a pedant, not participate in a flag debate.

From The Flag Institute http://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british-flags/the-union-jack-or-the-union-flag/

"It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that ?the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag?."

My emboldening.

Just noticed the 1902 :lol: - must've been quite some year :lol:

Der Kaiser

They told me to stop eating a Tunnocks caramel wafer in the Houses of Parliament.

We should just invade.....put an end to this madness

TheMaganator

**** yer queen.

You were born under a Union Flag. Being British is like being given a winning ticket in the lottery of life. Enjoy it. Many would kill for it.

I'm not sure if you're 18 or 74 it's hard to tell from your user name. But assuming it's the former you'll appreciate what I'm saying when you're a bit older.

You were born under a Union Flag. Being British is like being given a winning ticket in the lottery of life. Enjoy it. Many would kill for it.

I'm not sure if you're 18 or 74 it's hard to tell from your user name. But assuming it's the former you'll appreciate what I'm saying when you're a bit older.

Good try at patronising.

FAIL.

**** yer queen.

Very mature .

why the queen commen?

Don't think she works at the DVLA

Well played to our sad 'Tory comedian' as he never fails to come out with his usual pish.

TheMaganator

Good try at patronising.

FAIL.

Your last post deserved to be patronised.

Bridge of Djoum

FFS.

If you go abroad and get arrested mate, I assume you won't seek the assistance of the British consulate in that country?

Have a word.

FFS.

If you go abroad and get arrested mate, I assume you won't seek the assistance of the British consulate in that country?

Have a word.

What would I get arrested fir?

Proud Scottush 1411001625080_Image_galleryImage_GLASGOW

Archived