Washing Line

TNCASTLE

As a wee boy in 1955 living at Lampacre Road Corstorphine, I vividly recall very many Hearts strips hanging on Mrs Wardhaugh's washing line. I do also recall my mother or Mrs Wardhaugh saying it was "their turn".

I recalled and put this story to pals in the past and them saying a big club like Hearts would not expect their players wives to wash and press perhaps 15 strips every week and I must be imagining things!

FoH are making a book up with the story of this wee boy living next door to Jimmy Wardhaugh ( me!) and being taken by him to Tynecastle. Nice if at least my bit is absolutely true.

Can any older fan offer any evidence having witnessed Hearts strips on washing lines presumably washed by players wives? Not the Worlds most interesting post I know, but I would like some "back up" before anything goes to print. I was 6 or 7 years old and my parents ( and Jimmy) are long gone.

Any comments welcome.

Son Of Anarchy

Ive certainly heard of this before and believe it was common practise back then but I'm much younger than you :). Brilliant memories you must have of the great man. Cherish them mate!

As a wee boy in 1955 living at Lampacre Road Corstorphine, I vividly recall very many Hearts strips hanging on Mrs Wardhaugh's washing line. I do also recall my mother or Mrs Wardhaugh saying it was "their turn".

I recalled and put this story to pals in the past and them saying a big club like Hearts would not expect their players wives to wash and press perhaps 15 strips every week and I must be imagining things!

FoH are making a book up with the story of this wee boy living next door to Jimmy Wardhaugh ( me!) and being taken by him to Tynecastle. Nice if at least my bit is absolutely true.

Can any older fan offer any evidence having witnessed Hearts strips on washing lines presumably washed by players wives? Not the Worlds most interesting post I know, but I would like some "back up" before anything goes to print. I was 6 or 7 years old and my parents ( and Jimmy) are long gone.

Any comments welcome.

I can tell you that up until the mid sixties the strips were washed at Tynecastle...by my Granny! I have her 'long service' gold watch she received from the directors of Hearts. She stayed in Mcleod Street and was known locally as Gorgie Winnie. 

Howdy Doody Jambo

I remember living next door to a hibs player, he commented when his wife washed his strip, somebody stole the pegs

I remember living next door to a hibs player, he commented when his wife washed his strip, somebody stole the pegs

:pleasing: A blast from the past.....

Firhill for thrills, Johnstone's for rolls

We could go with  

Tynecastle for thrills, JKB for laughs :whistling:

chester copperpot

Probably a hibs fan..................to sell them!

Nookie Bear

Any comments welcome.

My father-in-law has often told me how he used to live close to the Wardhaugh's home and knew his mum well. Even said he had time for the odd kickabout in the back garden with Conn & Bauld too as they had a decent sized back garden, although one game ended with a broken window and a very unhappy Mrs Wardhaugh!

Also casually dropped into conversation recently how he was stuck in goals for a back garden game to let Dave Mackay fire shots at him.

Meanwhile, I get excited if I see Scott Robinson in Next.

Templeton Peck

When I was growing up, Neil Berry lived on Lampacre Rd

Gary Mackay and Wayne Foster lived in Tyler's Acre Ave. In separate houses

When I was growing up, Neil Berry lived on Lampacre Rd

Gary Mackay and Wayne Foster lived in Tyler's Acre Ave. In separate houses

Met both of them recently, Tyson & Chuck. [emoji460]

My father-in-law has often told me how he used to live close to the Wardhaugh's home and knew his mum well. Even said he had time for the odd kickabout in the back garden with Conn & Bauld too as they had a decent sized back garden, although one game ended with a broken window and a very unhappy Mrs Wardhaugh!

Also casually dropped into conversation recently how he was stuck in goals for a back garden game to let Dave Mackay fire shots at him.

Meanwhile, I get excited if I see Scott Robinson in Next.

Other players used to visit Jimmy, although I don't remember who. But I do remember them playing table tennis on Jimmy 's dining room table. The garden was 1 Lampacre Road and a semi. The garden I think was very small and no good for a kick-about, even for "twinkle toes"! The house and garden are still there, suggest you have a nosey at the garden size and judge for yourself!

AllyjamboDerbyshire

No knowledge of the washing line story, but my dear old mum once told me that Mrs Wardhaugh was in the next bed to her in Simpsons when my wee sister was born. I think it would be nappies hanging on the line after that :)

No doubt my uncles made extra visits to see their sister, just in the hope that a certain new dad would be there!

No knowledge of the washing line story, but my dear old mum once told me that Mrs Wardhaugh was in the next bed to her in Simpsons when my wee sister was born. I think it would be nappies hanging on the line after that :)

No doubt my uncles made extra visits to see their sister, just in the hope that a certain new dad would be there!

Jimmy used to call his wife "Alma" because I think she looked like Alma Cogan ( look on internet). I do remember her as a very pretty lady. Alma sang "Dreamboat". My first match was v Raith Rovers 7-2 and Jimmy scored his normal hat trick. I was shown the Scottish Cup which had been at Tynecastle for a few weeks after Celtic 3-1 in 1956. Jimmy was 100% responsible for making me a Hearts supporter. Back then, and for about 5 years it was a major surprise if Hearts lost ANY match, like this season but a different level sadly.

I stayed in touch with Jimmy as he worked at the Daily Express and passed one January I think just after Hearts had played in Fife. I heard on the radio coming back from the match, I was on the bridge I remember vividly.

He was only 49 and had not looked well for years. My absolute hero and a lovely man as well.

queensferryjambo

I can tell you that up until the mid sixties the strips were washed at Tynecastle...by my Granny! I have her 'long service' gold watch she received from the directors of Hearts. She stayed in Mcleod Street and was known locally as Gorgie Winnie. 

Brilliant story about your granny. Got to admit that I love these kind of stories from the past about local people employed by their local club.

My late brother had some connection with the Scottish Daily Express and they had a football team.  I played for them once and Jimmy Wardhaugh was in the team.  This must have been around 1963.  Presume he must have worked for them in some capacity.

The Real Maroonblood

Jimmy used to call his wife "Alma" because I think she looked like Alma Cogan ( look on internet). I do remember her as a very pretty lady. Alma sang "Dreamboat". My first match was v Raith Rovers 7-2 and Jimmy scored his normal hat trick. I was shown the Scottish Cup which had been at Tynecastle for a few weeks after Celtic 3-1 in 1956. Jimmy was 100% responsible for making me a Hearts supporter. Back then, and for about 5 years it was a major surprise if Hearts lost ANY match, like this season but a different level sadly.

I stayed in touch with Jimmy as he worked at the Daily Express and passed one January I think just after Hearts had played in Fife. I heard on the radio coming back from the match, I was on the bridge I remember vividly.

He was only 49 and had not looked well for years. My absolute hero and a lovely man as well.

You probably know this.

There is a wooden bench dedicated to Jimmy in Holyrood Park.

corryjambo

You probably know this.

There is a wooden bench dedicated to Jimmy in Holyrood Park.

I know there is one dedicated to Ian Crawford in Holyrood Park.

I did not realise there was one dedicated to Jimmy Wardhaugh. Do you know where about in the park it is?

Ditto. Well, strictly his daughter Clare, who was my "girlfriend" in Primary 1. I managed to have a wee kickabout with Twinkletoes in their back garden. His wife was always referred to as Nan in our house. A lovely family. And I later had the great pleasure of working beside their next door neighbour, Arthur Levitt, too.

The Real Maroonblood

I did not realise there was one dedicated to Jimmy Wardhaugh. Do you know where about in the park it is?

Maybe it's Ian Crawford's one I am recalling which is situated on the road up to Dunsapie Loch.

Must check it out.

augusthearts

Love hearing these kind of stories about the true legends from the 1950s. Just finished the book the real McKay - cracking read especially the first half about the Hearts years.

Archived