A Lucky Escape?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I'm still not sure what to make of the whole thing but one thing I do know is that we have had a lucky escape.

Mark McGhee's actions yesterday have almost certainly proved that he would have been out of Tynecastle like a shot had Thellick come calling. His heart would never have been in the job 100%. Always looking to see what else is on offer.

Is that what we really want? Yes he is a decent manager but we are crying out for a bit of stability and a man who can lead us forward without being tempted by other jobs in Scotland.

It's desperately disappointing but I'm looking at the positives - it's better getting taken for a ride now rather than when he is collecting his ?8k a week.

Come on down Craig Levein. The stage is all yours ....

alwaysthereinspirit
I'm still not sure what to make of the whole thing but one thing I do know is that we have had a lucky escape.

Mark McGhee's actions yesterday have almost certainly proved that he would have been out of Tynecastle like a shot had Thellick come calling. His heart would never have been in the job 100%. Always looking to see what else is on offer.

Is that what we really want? Yes he is a decent manager but we are crying out for a bit of stability and a man who can lead us forward without being tempted by other jobs in Scotland.

It's desperately disappointing but I'm looking at the positives - it's better getting taken for a ride now rather than when he is collecting his ?8k a week.

Have never been 100% behind his hiring anyway. Just nervous now that we get behind in hiring someone and sign no one before pre season starts. Or Mad panicks and it's one of the pyramid types again.

I agree with your sentiments. However we are not a big enough club to attract good managers which will see Hearts as their final destination. Good managers are generally ambitious and whoever we get i would rather they have designs on the top jobs Europe has to offer and therefore have to perform exceptionally to get there.

Yes....the 1st stage out of town,like the last time when Leicester came calling.

He couldnt get away quick enough.And also it was under the same Hearts regime,so what would change him now?

Yes....the 1st stage out of town,like the last time when Leicester came calling.

He couldnt get away quick enough.And also it was under the same Hearts regime,so what would change him now?

Not quite....

No it wasnt. He left before VR.

It wasn't as straightforward as that though was it.

He had personal problems and the club was heading into a period of uncertainty. I don't blame him.

He's the man to take Hearts forward IMO.

Thig Ar Latha

I think he would have been a good choice for us, but he's not coming now. Fine, some one else will be in charge next season, there are a lot of Managers who could do a job for us, preferably young, upcoming and ambitious.

McGhee may have looked to move to Celtic in time, so what. He would have had to be doing an excellent job for us before Celtic would touch him. As Craig Levien used to say to potential signings, if Hearts are the limit of your ambition, then your not ambitious enough for Hearts.

As for the last line of your post, I doubt very much (unfortunately) that Craig will come back to Hearts in the near future.

Horatio Caine
It wasn't as straightforward as that though was it.

He had personal problems and the club was heading into a period of uncertainty. I don't blame him.

He's the man to take Hearts forward IMO.

I agree Alan. He is indeed the man who can take us forward.

Sadly, though, it won't happen.

I have never been in favour of McGhee.

He has a tendency to do well in his first season at a club then botch it up in subsequent seasons. There's also his sellik connection; anyone with links to Beelzebub FC must be viewed as extremely suspect. His volte face yesterday proves I was right to be suspicious.

Personally I'm glad we didn't get him.

ToadKiller Dog

I look at it more as a near miss,rather than a lucky escape for him at this time to get the smellies job will mean at least another 3rd place finish next season ,which would mean him getting succses with us ,even if it was short term,it would have helped improve the clubs image.

cosanostra

Let's face it, we currently have about as much chance of convincing McGhee to take the jobas we do Levein. There is no way he's going to leave his job as Director and Manager of Dundee United, leave his dying friend Eddie Thompson in the lurch and work for people he has already said on numerous occassions that he would never work for. There is no way in the world he is going to be Hearts manager at the moment.

I would have been delighted with McGhee

I dont know how Romanov was convinced to go for him.

The issue of control is one thing. McGhee's obvious desire to manage one of the old firm is the other. This goes against Vlad's principles completely

I think there would have been tension in the relationship from early on. I think the press would have been a key wedge in that relationship.

I am not relieved we didnt get McGhee but I do think there would have been frustrating times ahead with him.

I'd rather have McGhee being successful enough for Celtic to want him though, than have a coach no bigger team would be interested in

grumpyjambo
I have never been in favour of McGhee.

He has a tendency to do well in his first season at a club then botch it up in subsequent seasons. There's also his sellik connection; anyone with links to Beelzebub FC must be viewed as extremely suspect. His volte face yesterday proves I was right to be suspicious.

Personally I'm glad we didn't get him.

Do you do stand up as well? :wacko::wacko:

Let's face it, we currently have about as much chance of convincing McGhee to take the jobas we do Levein. There is no way he's going to leave his job as Director and Manager of Dundee United, leave his dying friend Eddie Thompson in the lurch and work for people he has already said on numerous occassions that he would never work for. There is no way in the world he is going to be Hearts manager at the moment.

You are probably right but a lot of managers will be attracted to the 350k on offer, including Levein I would imagine.

Money talks. Unless your Mark McGhee.

Didn't Eddie Thompson put him in a difficult position by making him a member of the board?

I don't think Levein will be our next man unfortunatly.

Surely the fact that he stayed at a smaller club (by his own admission) proves that he might have stuck it out at us. He has shown a fair chunk of loyalty to Well this season.

But saying that heres what I think...

Motherwell in Europe was the tipping point if anyone else got that place I think we'd have our man.

Strachan is probably in his last year at Celtic so maybe he has his eyes on that at the end of next season after his little euro adventure.

But who knows.

I would have been delighted with McGhee

I dont know how Romanov was convinced to go for him.

The issue of control is one thing. McGhee's obvious desire to manage one of the old firm is the other. This goes against Vlad's principles completely

I think there would have been tension in the relationship from early on. I think the press would have been a key wedge in that relationship.

I am not relieved we didnt get McGhee but I do think there would have been frustrating times ahead with him.

I'd rather have McGhee being successful enough for Celtic to want him though, than have a coach no bigger team would be interested in

Exactly. Stability is good but ambition is better. Hearts are 2nd tier in a pish league, any manager should be looking at Hearts as a stepping stone to the bigger clubs, hopefully England or Europe though, not the OF.

Comes here, shows what he can do, looks to move on and if offered it's up to Vlad to match terms, you would expect a player to commit his career to the club so why is a manager any different?

With success at Hearts he'd stick around and with that success others would be looking to take him away. Good times all round I'd say.

I heard that Romanov was inserting a clause into his contract that he had to change his name by deed poll to McGee, and that was why he refused.

Happy with the board's actions in this instance.

Drylaw Hearts

We have had a lucky escape.

I never saw the attraction with him tbh.

Walked out on 2 Clubs, sacked at 3 and whored himself at the SFA and Hearts after only months at his current Club.

Guest JamboRobbo

I never saw the attraction with him tbh.

He's not Vlad. :P

In general, I agree with the OP. McGhee would only ever have seen us as a stepping stone to better things. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not ideal either in the medium to long term.

It might work out better if we get a Hearts man in instead......

Jambosimmy

I was not 100% behind the appointment of mcghee but it would have been a big step toward stability in the club. Mcghee would never have taken the job unless he was assured of full control of team matters. So in that sense it would have been a great appointment.

At the end of the day we need to someone to come in a get rid of the dross that is hanging around like a bad smell. it needs to be sorted quickly in order for him to stamp his authority on the team. bring in his own players and put forward his ideas to the players.

The players also need to know where they stand. the concern for me is that we go into pre season without a manager and then appoint somebody a couple of weeks before the start of the spl we are gonna take a hiding. IMO pre season is very important in order for the players to get to grips with what they are supposed to be doing. How many time have you seen hearts players this season coming on as sub and having no idea what to do. mainly that numpty ivaskevicuis. It needs to be addressed quickly!!

Drylaw Hearts
He's not Vlad. :P

In general, I agree with the OP. McGhee would only ever have seen us as a stepping stone to better things. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not ideal either in the medium to long term.

It might work out better if we get a Hearts man in instead......

We should go for Jeffries with a view to him steadying the ship for a Season or 2 before moving 'upstairs'.

I'd like to see Elvis as his No.2 with him being groomed to take over from JJ but only for a Season as he will engineer himself a move to Celtic again. :P

I said it last Summer JR, that we need to build this Club back up from the bottom again.

We need to make it appealing enough that no Manager in Scotland outwith the OF would knock us back.

We've had 2 years of absolute pish, I can take another 2 years of building the team back up.

But only if the right man is at the helm.

Guest JamboRobbo

I said it last Summer JR, that we need to build this Club back up from the bottom again.

We need to make it appealing enough that no Manager in Scotland outwith the OF would knock us back.

We've had 2 years of absolute pish, I can take another 2 years of building the team back up.

But only if the right man is at the helm.

You were right then, and you are right now.

Walter Kidd

Jefferies is not and never has been the answer either.

FWIW I have no idea who it will be.

I know a lot of people have some angst with Jeffries but he, in my opinion would be ideal for Hearts and for Vlad AT THIS TIME.

Jeffries has experience of the SPL, is Hearts to the core and has one last big job in him.

There shouldnt be problems with loyalty, and he would then be able to mentor younger coaches to take over when he retires / moves upstairs

Yes people will point to the "wasted" SMG money but EVERY manager gets signings wrong and what Jeffries wasted pales into insignificance with what has been wasted on Pinilla, Makela, Beslija, Tall etc etc etc

Jeffries makes far more sense than McGhee in the long term - although he is not, of course as topical and trendy. This is not revisionism on my part - would have been delighted by McGhee but remain surprised Vlad was keen

If Vlad was keen on McGhee I cant see how he would not be just as nearly keen on Jeffries/

FWIW I have no idea who it will be.

Its a time and a place thing IMO

Given the state the footballing side of the club is in we maybe need to temper our desire for the ultimate manager at this moment in time

Let someone like Jeffries be allowed to bring credibility to the club again over a 2 year or so period. Let him do his job, and there will be benefits

Our next manager could therefore be attracted from a higher level

I can almost guarantee you, had Jeffries been in place for a period with full control, and then we went for McGhee he would have signed without too much thought

The Hearts role of manager needs redefined. This initial redefinition might not be to everyone's tastes, but we have gone so far backward that one small step forward is needed in the first instance

Yesterday's man JT. Has done nothing of note since winning the cup in 98.

I do know exactly what you are saying.

But he is still a step forward from what we have at present.

If someone like Jeffries can bring credibility back to the managers role at Hearts we would have a queue of quality people wanting the job next

Exciting? No. Ideal? Maybe not. A building brick upon which we might start to build the football club back up again? Probably.

Drylaw Hearts

I disagree.

Give him 2 Seasons and a sensible budget and I'm sure he could take us into the Top 4.

We have to start at the bottom and I'm sure JJ could lay some decent foundations.

Walter Kidd

Top 4? Is that what our expectations have become? I want to be winning the league. Celtic and Rangers for that matter are at their lowest in terms of quality since I started watching football 30 years ago.

Drylaw Hearts
I do know exactly what you are saying.

But he is still a step forward from what we have at present.

If someone like Jeffries can bring credibility back to the managers role at Hearts we would have a queue of quality people wanting the job next

Exciting? No. Ideal? Maybe not. A building brick upon which we might start to build the football club back up again? Probably.

My thoughts exactly.

We aren't in a position to bring in a quality Manager like Burley at the moment.

We are damaged goods and need someone to repair our reputation.

I disagree.

Give him 2 Seasons and a sensible budget and I'm sure he could take us into the Top 4.

We have to start at the bottom and I'm sure JJ could lay some decent foundations.

Hopefully Charlie Mann is reading the board to put together his short leet.

I want Jefferies, Pressley, Fulton and Locke as our new management team. The right blend of personalities, ages, experience etc. They would build a dressing room who would feel that they could take on anyone - and have fun doing it. And they all know what playing for Hearts is all about - and none would allow the shirkers to continue to disgrace the jerseys.

Drylaw Hearts
Top 4? Is that what our expectations have become? I want to be winning the league. Celtic and Rangers for that matter are at their lowest in terms of quality since I started watching football 30 years ago.

Winning the league !!

You are aware we finished 8th last Season ?

I understand and agree with your view point WK but at the moment a top 4 finish is a major improvement.

Drylaw Hearts
Hopefully Charlie Mann is reading the board to put together his short leet.

I want Jefferies, Pressley, Fulton and Locke as our new management team. The right blend of personalities, ages, experience etc. They would build a dressing room who would feel that they could take on anyone - and have fun doing it. And they all know what playing for Hearts is all about - and none would allow the shirkers to continue to disgrace the jerseys.

If those 4 get employed we'll need a wider dugout.

Sorry - Technical Area.

Guest JamboRobbo

We'd all love that, but right now, top 6, then third, then trying to compete with OF have to be the aims, but we can't expect to jump from the shambles we are now to compete with OF in one step.

Walter Kidd
Winning the league !!

You are aware we finished 8th last Season ?

I must have missed that.:wacko:

With a manager of the ilk of Burley, McGhee, Davies etc we could have a run at the Old Firm of that there is no doubt. Under Dim Jefferies we'd be the usual cannon fodder.

Let's up our expectations from Jim please. I'd rather have a run at it rather than "steady the ship" as what's the point??

If those 4 get employed we'll need a wider dugout.

Sorry - Technical Area.

Only for Baggio - the rest are fairly trim!

I love the thought of that group taking training. Pressley would immediately regain the leader of the dressing room position. Locke and Fulton would make sure all the players have a smile on their face - as well as getting them up for games. And JJ to bring it all together. 3 good seasons from that group before Pressley takes over.;)

Csaba's Broon Shoes
My thoughts exactly.

We aren't in a position to bring in a quality Manager like Burley at the moment.

We are damaged goods and need someone to repair our reputation.

Spot on , JJ would be safe pair of hands to steady the ship in choppy seas

We want a manager who wants to manage HMFC

With a manager of the ilk of Burley, McGhee, Davies etc we could have a run at the Old Firm of that there is no doubt. Under Dim Jefferies we'd be the usual cannon fodder.

Let's up our expectations from Jim please. I'd rather have a run at it rather than "steady the ship" as what's the point??

Because at the moment we are a sinking ship of pirates and rats jumping out of it.

We are much more likely to be able to patch the ship up short term than we are a luxury speedboat drawing up beside us to take everyone on board!

I do hear what you are saying.

If someone better than JJ wants to take the reigns medium term I'm all for it. As you said higher up on this thread though - who? There is no-one obvious at all.

Drylaw Hearts

Short term pain for long term gain ?

We've waited for 5 months to get McGhee and failed.

So it's safe to assume he's the best option we had.

He's done an admiral job at 'Well but reminds me very much of Alex McLeish.

Both seem to be impact Managers who fade very quickly.

Davies is a guy I just don't rate. I think someone with his attitude could cause further damage to out tarnished reputation.

A Burley type character isn't available and we are not attractive enough an option to be able to prize anyone of thet ilk from their current position.

JJ would be a decent short term option with a view to him grooming a No.2 to eventually take over.

Walter Kidd

At 350k a year I would hope we would have a few beating down our door. Agree on Davies, I just think we would be as well with Frail as we would with Jefferies.

I disagree on your Burley type not being available. I reckon there are plenty of managers in the Championship not on that type of salary.

This is horrible.

At the start of VR's reign, we managed to lure a manager who not so long before coming to us had been crowned "manager of the year" for the English Premiership. Since the day he left, we have slumped so far it is unbelievable.

How far up the opinion poll was Jeffries to replace Burley? I wouldn't suggest very high. After Ivanauskas, I would imagine he was gaining popularity and now, after the MOTHERWELL manager has opted to stay at MOTHERWELL rather than come to us we all turn to our once saviour in hope that he can "steady the ship".

I don't think we go for Jeffries, I realise why he is being coveted by some, but I don't think we should hire him just now.

VR has set a benchmark by going for McGhee, I will wait and see who is hired or brought over from Kaunas.

There was a thread the other day there asking if he will ever be forgiven, there was a thread asking if we would ever sing his name again, these threads are extremely pertinent over the next month or so. If we get to pre-season without a reasonably talented manager in the job I for one will not think it is possible he could change.

As for McGhee, I would have been delighted had we got him. He would have (if he was given free reign) made a big difference to our club. Having said that, I find it distasteful that a professional manager could be at the gate for the plane (a flight which I assume was paid for by Hearts) and not have the grace and courtesy to at least go over and say "Sorry Mr Romanov, I have decided to stay at Motherwell."

Crucial times for Mr Romanov, he needs to make the right decision now or face losing the support for good.

Drylaw Hearts
At 350k a year I would hope we would have a few beating down our door. Agree on Davies, I just think we would be as well with Frail as we would with Jefferies.

I disagree on your Burley type not being available. I reckon there are plenty of managers in the Championship not on that type of salary.

But as Mark McGhee has proven.......

Money isn't everything.

JJ would be a decent short term option with a view to him grooming a No.2 to eventually take over.

Which much better fits the type of model you would think Romanov would go for.

Mcghee to Celtic

Davies to Rangers

Thoughts that would never be far away from any of us with either in place - particularly the media, and probably paranoid Vlad.

There is a balance to be struck here between:

A manager who matches the fans hopes and aspirations

A manager whom Vlad believes he can work with

An experienced manager with a good track record who wants to join Hearts and be here for the medium term

It doesnt actually leave many options and, unfortunately the 2nd and 3rd options dominate the reality and probably mean the 1st is marginalised to an extent

If we get a manager who Vlad believes he can work with, and that manager wants to join Hearts for at least 3 years, and is experienced in the British game - I'll be delighted, even if he isnt my first choice, even if he isnt that exciting

VR has set a benchmark by going for McGhee, I will wait and see who is hired or brought over from Kaunas.

I agree with every word of your post mate

The one thing I am concerned about is this.

VR has set a benchmark in going for McGhee. Has McGhee set a benchmark for how successful we will be in signing a manager of that quality?

I agree with every word of your post mate

The one thing I am concerned about is this.

VR has set a benchmark in going for McGhee. Has McGhee set a benchmark for how successful we will be in signing a manager of that quality?

Very possibly. That is for VR to prove otherwise.

We all know what he does, we all know how involved he gets, we all HOPED that he would change his ways and we all HOPED he would be able to convince a talented manager to work for him.

Now, it is time to deliver. No if's, no but's, he needs to have a proper manager in place for pre-season.

We have waited a few days short of six months to fail to get McGhee, I am interested to see if there is a backup plan. I hope to god there is.

I fear that the January statement was in fact true. I also fear that McGhee was decided on early, and there was an assumption made that a big money offer and the appeal of Hearts as a "big" team was all that was needed. I fear that total effort was put into the McGhee chase and it seemed to those involved to be a done deal. I fear deeply that they have been taken by complete surprise and in fact have absolutely no contingency plan.

I fear now that that the solution will be from Eastern Europe, otherwise if not so, we could end up with the ludicrous situation of falling back on Frail.

I do not blame Romanov entirely for this debacle, it seems in the effort for McGhee he done all the right things, except he did not allow for the fickleness of man, and again allowed his belief in himself to not allow him to anticipate failure.

Archived