McGhees official statement

don ecosse

Italian Lambretta

He will look back in a few months time and wish he had taken the plunge at the time.

He will not further his career while he's there and he will certainly not get a Premiership or the Celtic job from his position at Motherwell.

His loss in the end and he will realise his mistake soon enough.

I dont think he bottled it t all,what he did do was wake up and smell the coffee,and knew Mad Vlad would be picking some of the team,what Romanov really wants is a yes man

ToadKiller Dog

Seems he is staying out of pity ,if motherwells form continues he will be back in the championship in the new year if not he is stuck .As signs show at this moment he just at the last minute kept his ambitions in check ,I doubt he will the next time .

Just hope Romanov does not decide to wait for him as that would feck up the new season and i hope that mcgoo has the deceny to speak to Romanovs money man as it seems we treated him with respect at all times.

alwaysthereinspirit
He will look back in a few months time and wish he had taken the plunge at the time.

He will not further his career while he's there and he will certainly not get a Premiership or the Celtic job from his position at Motherwell.

Not sure he would further his career here either. More chance of going from Motherwell to Celtic than from us to Celtic. There is absolutely no proof that things have changed around Mad Vlad or Tynecastle.

This will now make Mad Vlad believe that no one in the Scotland game is trustworthy. Arranging an interview then not showing up. Not that I believe for a second that it's not the right move for MM.

WeeToonJambo

I haven't see this posted elsewhere so apologies if it has been. There's a piece in today's Metro by Charlie Nicholas reckoning that Strachan will leave Celtic within the next few weeks. If true, that would be more of a reason for McGhee changing his mind, rather than through loyalty to Motherwell.

LarrysRightFoot

Im not saying this out of bitterness but I think McGhee has taken Motherwell as far as he possibly can. I mean what more can he achieve there? They do not have the resources to go a step further. Some of his best players will leave this summer if someone offers them a few more pounds - McCormack is already gone - and I can see the likes of Reynolds and Porter being off if 500k bids come in. McGhee may have satyed loyal to Motherwell but if he thinks his players will, if they can make more money elsewhere, he is sadly mistaken.

Also traditionally if you finish 3rd the following season is a huge anti-climax (apart from a few exceptions). And i think this will be Motherwells fate, especially with a small squad. They will probably get off to a poor start as their will be a focus on getting into the UFEA group stages. My prediction for them next season - 6th. This will not make McGhee a bad manager btw its just reality.

As for us next season - with a good manager ala Davies will will be 3rd no problem. But with a pyramid manager or some other shambolic set up ala Frail, Cherzenekov and Korobochka we will finish 9th IMO.

RockyBalboa

I don't think so, it shows he has some loyalty which (which was doubted before) will increase his stock value now and the worst he can do is get Motherwell put out of Europe and probably fall back on the players (McCormack, Lappin) he has lost and will still get a decent job down south like Mowbray.

Do you really blame him for not taking the job......interference etc. Will not be that many lining up for it!

Father Tiresias

He's maybe hanging around at Motherwell a little bit longer waiting until WGS gets the bullet at Parkhead.

What happened to his cases?

If it was as last minute as we believe, was his cases not on the plane?

On a more serious note - given all this was set up - he should have at least turned up for the interview rather than just cancel without notice, I feel.

What are the chances of the SPL computer throwing up a Motherwell v Heart of Midlothian FC first game of the season.:dribble:

At the end of Day, McGhee decided against coming to us and I don't see how anyone at Hearts is to blame for this? When next season comes around, I'm sure that Mark McGhee will look back and possibly regret his decision. When all is said and done, Motherwell Football Club are never going to be able to improve upon this season. Most probably, they will lose all their star players this summer, go out in the very early rounds of the UEFA and knowing the Motherwell supporters as I do, they are just the sort that will quickly turn on McGhee.

In conclusion, I say feck McGhee and bring in someone, who actually wants the job!

Cut The Crap
What are the chances of the SPL computer throwing up a Motherwell v Heart of Midlothian FC first game of the season.:dribble:

Higher than us turning up for the game with a new manager? Maybe.

pennantjambo
At the end of Day, McGhee decided against coming to us and I don't see how anyone at Hearts is to blame for this? When next season comes around, I'm sure that Mark McGhee will look back and possibly regret his decision. When all is said and done, Motherwell Football Club are never going to be able to improve upon this season. Most probably, they will lose all their star players this summer, go out in the very early rounds of the UEFA and knowing the Motherwell supporters as I do, they are just the sort that will quickly turn on McGhee.

In conclusion, I say feck McGhee and bring in someone, who actually wants the job!

Agree.

Two other factors of influence here, loyalty to Boyle for employing him and Phil O'Donnel.

In a couple of weeks time when he's had a bit of thinking time and maybe even a bit of grief from his missus (well she's only human ffs) about what he could have earned he might regret it, but we probably won't know until he writes his memoirs.

With the salary on offer for the "right" candidate would this not re-interest somebody like Neil Warnock given Palace did'nt make it?

I'm convinced there must be someone decent out there for that kind of salary.

Spellczech

He refused a job interview not a job offer - bit premature if you ask me.

He was never in a position to ask for assurances from Vlad so you cannot blame Vlad...

I just hope this does not mean another 6 months with no manager...

Drylaw Hearts
He refused a job interview not a job offer - bit premature if you ask me.

He was never in a position to ask for assurances from Vlad so you cannot blame Vlad...

I just hope this does not mean another 6 months with no manager...

I think his 'interview' was carried out a long time ago.

He was on his way to sign and had a change of heart.

jamtartsandbees

Seems to me that if he had first been contacted in December about the job he had a bloody long time to decide it wasn't for him. "there I was waiting to get on the plane and suddenly realised that I couldn't do it" yeah right.

Having already thanked Hearts for having the decency to wait till the end of the season before making an official approach, I wonder just how strongly he intimated this intentions at the beginning of the year. Seems that it might have been a strong enough indication to stop us looking else where else for the last 6 months.

During that time it's possible that we could have had another manager in place. Instead the club got stick for months about not getting a manager while all the time they thought they had, but just could not say anything.

No wonder Vlad has a bit of a thing about trust.

Thunderstruck

Understandable in the sense that Boyle played on his emotions but still a strange decision.

How is Boyle going to pay for his (presumed) increase in salary, bearing in mind that he also has to turn Fir Park from a land-fill site to a football pitch? Only one realistic option - sell players such as Porter and the wee winger whose name I can't remember. Where does that leave McGhee - in a team that will struggle to emulate this season as there is no way that Aberdeen, Hibs and (hopefully) Hearts will be as rank as they were this season.

I only hope that he spends a lot of time looking at his shoes in embarrasment when his team nexts plays Hearts.

The Wicker Man

Boyle himself is not short of a bob or two - maybe he will top up MM wages from his own pocket?

siegementality
He's maybe hanging around at Motherwell a little bit longer waiting until WGS gets the bullet at Parkhead.

I'm amazed at how many people have come out with this and I'd be equally amazed if he got anywhere near that job. Roy Keane will be up like a shot when WGS goes.

I'm amazed at how many people have come out with this and I'd be equally amazed if he got anywhere near that job. Roy Keane will be up like a shot when WGS goes.

I would doubt Keane would get the Celtic job at the moment to be honest if the press are to be believed hes going to be getting anything between 40 and 80 million to spend in the closed season with Sunderland.

Hans von Luck

Oooohh You do have a wicked sence of humour Gambo, however it is quite appealing. ;)

Get out yer riot gear Hearts are here !!

John Findlay
I haven't see this posted elsewhere so apologies if it has been. There's a piece in today's Metro by Charlie Nicholas reckoning that Strachan will leave Celtic within the next few weeks. If true, that would be more of a reason for McGhee changing his mind, rather than through loyalty to Motherwell.

When I read on Skytext at 5 o'clock this morning that McGee had turned Hearts down my first thought was he has heard the Celtic job will be available shortly. I will be very surprised if first game of the SPL season 2008-09 Mark McGee is in the Motherwell dugout. However I will not be surprised if Strachan is not in the Celtic dugout.

McGee has no loyalty ask Wolves supporters.

Giving it alot more thought now I am glad he turned us down as third would be the best he would ever do for Hearts. I want someone with no OF connections whatsoever and who believes with himself that he can get Hearts to win the league. Unfortunately I dont hold a Uefa coaching badge(not that I personally think they mean diddly squat).

John

siegementality
I would doubt Keane would get the Celtic job at the moment to be honest if the press are to be believed hes going to be getting anything between 40 and 80 million to spend in the closed season with Sunderland.

We'll see!

Hans von Luck
When I read on Skytext at 5 o'clock this morning that McGee had turned Hearts down my first thought was he has heard the Celtic job will be available shortly. I will be very surprised if first game of the SPL season 2008-09 Mark McGee is in the Motherwell dugout. However I will not be surprised if Strachan is not in the Celtic dugout.

McGee has no loyalty ask Wolves supporters.

Giving it alot more thought now I am glad he turned us down as third would be the best he would ever do for Hearts. I want someone with no OF connections whatsoever and who believes with himself that he can get Hearts to win the league. Unfortunately I dont hold a Uefa coaching badge(not that I personally think they mean diddly squat).

John

Cant disagree with any of that John as I have been posing that for ages.

I want a manager who has no connections with the OF, of German blood if possible. ;)

Seymour M Hersh
I don't think so, it shows he has some loyalty which (which was doubted before) will increase his stock value now and the worst he can do is get Motherwell put out of Europe and probably fall back on the players (McCormack, Lappin) he has lost and will still get a decent job down south like Mowbray.

Motherwell can hope to stay where they are but realistically the only way for them is down. they will never split the OF. As another poster comments when the window opens and this team starts to break up where will he be? Struggling to make the top 6 imo. Should be a good battle between the 3 of them though! McGhee, tattie head and plug fae fawkirk!!

flecktimus
Boyle himself is not short of a bob or two - maybe he will top up MM wages from his own pocket?

Or maybe someone else.

Something drastic made him turn back,of that i am convinced.

Cant blame Vlad on this one.

Dr Ian Malcolm

I hope it does. As bad as we were, we still beat that lot twice at their own midden.

Archived