TRADITIONS!

crichiejambos

crichiejambos

TV has changed football,well the money has! Just read that the English cup final is scheduled for 30th may 5:30 ko! Now growing cup final day was special no matter who was in the final but obviously if your team was in it, that made it better! But part of the day was that they kicked off at the same time! We had ours then at half time got highlights of down the road you didn't even know the score! Ok I'm going back a few years! If you could get one tradition back what would you have?

So much of the old traditions have been ruined by money in the game or our standard of football decreasing.

I was going to say the annual Scotland v England match.

I'm not really a big Scotland follower now but growing up in the 70s and 80s it was a passion of nearly everyone aside from your club loyalties.

Those Saturday mornings of the game felt like cup final day. The anticipation in the air, flags draped outside living room windows in the scheme, everyone had a Scotland shirt. Sad times now, Scotland aren't box office anymore.

Used to get Irn Bru chews from the newsagent at Roseburn on the way to the game.

When they stopped making them the magic went out the game for me.

That and Hugh Burns leaving.

Burning witches! Just the warty big nosed ones not the seriously cute Hollywood ones though.

Mila Kunis in Oz, aye?

:spoton:

Mid Calder Jambo

5:30 KO on Cup Final Day.  Piece of absolute nonsense.  It should be a great day out regardless of which side of the border you play your football.  thsi just makes a mockery of our game.

As a scotland fan I'd hate to see a scotland v England match every year.

Reason it's so special is because of the rarity

Francis Albert

I agree it would be a bit depressing these days. But for a surprisingly long time, for a century or so, there was nothing to choose between the two nations in their head to head records.

I agree it would be a bit depressing these days. But for a surprisingly long time, for a century or so, there was nothing to choose between the two nations in their head to head records.

I enjoyed Wembley (first time in ages)

I hated Celtic park (little purpose to it).

I can understand that in days gone by it was incredible.

Scottish Cup Final at 3 followed by the English Cup final at half 5, what's not to like?

Moving the champions league final forward a week would make it an epic day of football.

The Roseburn would be officially renamed The School End.

Riddley Walker

I love half 5 kick offs and the rare days Hearts have kicked off at half 5 it's been great. Longer in the boozer, under the floodlights in winter.

Don't see the point of tradition for tradition's sake, mostly. Things move on.

eh, Naw, the reason it was special because it was every year and quite a lot of the time the teams were evenly matched.

It was a yearly showpiece which I suppose many young fans now won't understand why as we are 2nd rate in comparison now. I doubt the English really see it as a big game these days.

We have received confirmation from the Football Association that the FA Cup Final will be played as under:

Arsenal v Aston Villa

Saturday, May 30

Kick Off: 5.30pm

Live on: BBC1 and BT Sport

Wembley Stadium

Read more at http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20150424/fa-cup-final-kick-off-time-confirmed#KxoIXFJ1IrVfoyF7.99

I am surprised they did not try to shove the Scottish cup game to 5.30.

Scottish Cup Final at 3 followed by the English Cup final at half 5, what's not to like?

Moving the champions league final forward a week would make it an epic day of football.

The Roseburn would be officially renamed The School End.

This! FA Cup followed by German, Spanish and French cup finals too. Excellent day of football.

Shame it's my daughters birthday and I'll probably get no chance to watch half of it. :sob:

bigis semiauskas

Sharing a bottle o whiskey on the terracing and throwing our bunnets in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stupid Sexy Flanders

The first day of the season, seeing who would score the first goal. Doesn't happen now with games on Friday night, Saturday lunchtime etc.

eh, Naw, the reason it was special because it was every year and quite a lot of the time the teams were evenly matched.

It was a yearly showpiece which I suppose many young fans now won't understand why as we are 2nd rate in comparison now. I doubt the English really see it as a big game these days.

spot on. The result actually mattered.

Bring back Saturday 3pm kick offs for all and Wednesday 7.45pm for Europe

LarrysRightFoot

spot on. The result actually mattered.

Bring back Saturday 3pm kick offs for all and Wednesday 7.45pm for Europe

Was talking about this last night.

Stop moving games for TV - just put a game or 2 on live at 3 o'clock.

It's not going to stop people going to games - if I've got a ticket for Tynecastle I don't care if Man U v Liverpool is on the telly, I'll be going to see Hearts!

It's an outdated rule - and as we have seen with the Open being sold to Sky the government protection over these things or whatever it is doesn't really mean anything.

I mean how much really will it affect attendances if you consider the 12.45 k/o on a day does finish until 2.35ish then the late game k/o's at 5.15 or whatever - if you are going to a game you will miss these games anyway. What difference does it make?

While we are at it bring back the Cup Winners Cup. The Europa League is a overblown mess.

It's not going to stop people going to games - if I've got a ticket for Tynecastle I don't care if Man U v Liverpool is on the telly, I'll be going to see Hearts!

It's an outdated rule - and as we have seen with the Open being sold to Sky the government protection over these things or whatever it is doesn't really mean anything.

I mean how much really will it affect attendances if you consider the 12.45 k/o on a day does finish until 2.35ish then the late game k/o's at 5.15 or whatever - if you are going to a game you will miss these games anyway. What difference does it make?

While we are at it bring back the Cup Winners Cup. The Europa League is a overblown mess.

The TV companies ain't listening because, frankly, their markets are worldwide and they couldn't really give a tinker's cuss what you or I think.

Getting lifted over the turnstile

Buying a juice and wagon wheel from the refreshment vendors who would be walking around perimeter of the pitch.

Being bought juice crisps and sweets outside the Tynie Arms along with about a dozen other youngsters while our Dad's finish their "last" pint. 

the only bit I don't agree with is the CWC. I ken a few dons fans and it's the only thing they've got!!

I will say this though , I do miss the old European games when you could get a team from behind the "iron Curtain", Olympic stadiums with the running track, muddy pitch , half the crowd was soldiers, fuzzy picture, Shan audio cos the commentators were using a phone and the constant air horns!

Archived