Steve Clarke

Heaven98

I know I sound like a broken record but he's our man.

Perfect for him, perfect for us.

vegas-voss

Perfect for me

Don't think it will happen though

"Hello Steve. We've got 375k plus bonus for you. I know it's a wee downscale but you're not going to walk into a job with funds like this one in League 1. You can't lose mate. If it works out, take the credit. If it goes t1ts up, it's his fault."

Cue Davies crawling over broken glass to take the job. ***** him. This man is a better bet by far. We've got an opening - do it.

Dear Mr.Ogilvie - have you got Steve's cellphone number?

walton1983

Give ?375k to a guy who has never managed a football club? Experienced man needed.

Steve Clarke has ALWAYS been the bridesmaid at Chelsea,just like McGlynn and Frail was...so where is the concrete evidence that he could remotely be,this heaven sent manager your gibbering on about.

Alec Miller was the bridesmaid at L/pool for years,why? because he wasnt a good manager,but a good sidekick [and yes I do know hes off to Japan].

Clarke=Untried !

vegas-voss
Steve Clarke has ALWAYS been the bridesmaid at Chelsea,just like McGlynn and Frail was...so where is the concrete evidence that he could remotely be,this heaven sent manager your gibbering on about.

Alec Miller was the bridesmaid at L/pool for years,why? because he wasnt a good manager,but a good sidekick [and yes I do know hes off to Japan].

Clarke=Untried !

You could say that about almost any assistant before they take the step up ie Mourhino was always the assistant before he went to Porto.

Seymour M Hersh
Perfect for me

Don't think it will happen though

How? He has no experience of being in charge and having to make the tough decisions.

Give ?375k to a guy who has never managed a football club? Experienced man needed.

What more experience do you want? He's held Chelsea together this season. Massaged the egos, got them playing, respect of the players etc. Twenty-odd years there as player, coach, tactician. Mourinho thinks he's the business.

He's just experienced a Champions League final and by all accounts, Grant was so ***** scared that once again, Clarke stepped in to do the necessary. Why not be bold? He'll go somewhere else and be successful. Why not us?

It might not work out but surely it's a better thing than we have just now.

You could say that about almost any assistant before they take the step up ie Mourhino was always the assistant before he went to Porto.

Of course you could,but do you honestly think that this is the time to "take a chance"?

Or would you want someone with a proven track record with experience?..thought so!

vegas-voss
Of course you could,but do you honestly think that this is the time to "take a chance"?

Or would you want someone with a proven track record with experience?..thought so!

Give me a name then

What more experience do you want? He's held Chelsea together this season. Massaged the egos, got them playing, respect of the players etc. Twenty-odd years there as player, coach, tactician. Mourinho thinks he's the business.

He's just experienced a Champions League final and by all accounts, Grant was so ***** scared that once again, Clarke stepped in to do the necessary. Why not be bold? He'll go somewhere else and be successful. Why not us?

It might not work out but surely it's a better thing than we have just now.

"It might not work out".....Enough said:confused:

vegas-voss
Billy Davies.

Hes got the CV for any club.

Has he ?

****e at Motherwell and did not get on with the owners it at his last club,hardly think he is ideal for Hearts.There would be a fall out within months.

By the way, before you all start...yes I know. Brian Kidd, Sammy Lee, blah blah blah...:)

It's a punt but I've just got a gut feeling it would be a great one. I'd be astounded if he's not successful at the first club that takes him.

Has he ?

****e at Motherwell and did not get on with the owners it at his last club,hardly think he is ideal for Hearts.There would be a fall out within months.

If you can be remotely bothered,feel free to check out his CV:wacko:

vegas-voss
If you can be remotely bothered,feel free to check out his CV:wacko:

Im not getting into an argument with you your clearly a Billy Davies fan.I just happen to think like the original poster that Clarke would be worth a punt.End of

Im not getting into an argument with you your clearly a Billy Davies fan.I just happen to think like the original poster that Clarke would be worth a punt.End of

Punt = gamble....Im not wanting that!

brellierlegend

Incorrect. He was manager of Benfica but left because a new president came in and appointed his own man. He was then manager of Unaio de Leira and was instrumental in guiding them to their best ever league finish. They qualified for the UEFA cup.

Drylaw Hearts

I'd prefer Stevie Clarke to Mark McGhee.

But I'd prefer Craig Levein over both of them.

vegas-voss

Billy Davies for other reason would be just as much a gamble for me.

What's your safe bet then? 38 million in debt with a litany of failed rubbish over the last eighteen months? A club run by a bunch of gibbering crackpots?

To my mind, SC looks like quite a safe bet...if he ever consented to remotely think of resurrecting our club.

Billy Davies for other reason would be just as much a gamble for me.

Obviously stiil learning about the ins and outs of football....welcome,if you need info on the game,im always willing to help you out!

Bootboy100

Eggo EVERY signing in football is a gamble the only difference is some are riskier than others.

In 1994 when that gerbil faced **** Mclean became manager. We thought we were onto a winner and was seen as a safe bet. How wrong were we??

Eggo EVERY signing in football is a gamble the only difference is some are riskier than others.

In 1994 when that gerbil faced **** Mclean became manager. We thought we were onto a winner and was seen as a safe bet. How wrong were we??

Very wrong....so a gamble is the last thing we want to take.

Jam Tarts 1874

Gianluca Vialli thought Graham Rix was a great coach at Chelsea and recommened him to Romanov.

I'd prefer Stevie Clarke to Mark McGhee.

But I'd prefer Craig Levein over both of them.

The heart says "yes", the head says "no." It wouldn't work out. He made a qualified decision that the whole thing was maybe a bit unstable. Probably nothing has happened recently to change his mind.

No doubt he loves the Club but think he's got a decent handle on VR.

Brick Tamland

Stevie Clark would be THE outstanding appointment in the SPL.

Any manager experienced or otherwise you always "take a chance" with and we've arrsed it over the bar with a few "experienced" men in the past.

Clark has almost unrivalled knowledge and experience of the modern British/European game, has worked with some of the worlds top players and managers, has massive respect from all Chelsea players (very useful for attracting decent players), has worked with a Romanov type figure for the last 5 years and also knows the Scottish game. The only experience he doesn't have is buying players or managing a budget and this looks like to be removed from the equation anyway.

Can't see it happening but if it did absolutely outstanding appointment.

Glamorgan Jambo

I also agree that Clarke would be an outstanding appointment however I doubt Chelski are going to let him go.... and I doubt they'll let the next manager let him go either.

Anyway he's got strong Theltic connections that Stheve Clahrke

Brick Tamland
I also agree that Clarke would be an outstanding appointment however I doubt Chelski are going to let him go.... and I doubt they'll let the next manager let him go either.

Anyway he's got strong Theltic connections that Stheve Clahrke

My Chelsea supporting workmates are telling me he is about to get the heave following Grant through the door.

one week hes working with Drogba, Lampard, Terry etc... next week Clum, Iviskiwasdead, Robbie and chums. He has NO experience in dealing with crap players and getting the goods out of them, just with getting the goods out of average to excellent players.

no go for me. I want someone who has a track record of succeeding with average players.

Brick Tamland
one week hes working with Drogba, Lampard, Terry etc... next week Clum, Iviskiwasdead, Robbie and chums. He has NO experience in dealing with crap players and getting the goods out of them, just with getting the goods out of average to excellent players.

no go for me. I want someone who has a track record of succeeding with average players.

Who would that be then - I can only think of Strachan and Smith

very difficult, im not going to pretend i know who is realistically available to get or what type of manager will definatly work. as this nonsense drags on though I'd probably even settle for a few years of jeffries stabilising the ship/t and bringing on a lot of the youngsters and shipping an awful lot of the first team. fighting it out for 3rd place, id take that in a minute just now.

Glamorgan Jambo
My Chelsea supporting workmates are telling me he is about to get the heave following Grant through the door.

According to the Torygraph ten Cate is for the chop but Clarke might stay. I'm pretty sure Kenyon wants to have a permanent caretaker manager figure not attached to any particular coaching team as part of the set up. We'll see anyway. If he wants to break away and be a manager in his own right now's a great time to do it but I figure Chelski will keep him if they want to and no amount of money from SPL/League 1 outfits will be able to beat what they can offer.

Guest GhostHunter

Steve Clark is probably the only man at Chelsea who managed to keep them going through all the pish of last season.

We could do a lot worse IMO.

cosanostra

Good shout.

Seems like a good guy in interviews and probably has many good contacts.

Stuart Lyon

I thought Mourinho was Sir Bobby Robson's assistant at Barca?

1992-97: Worked under Bobby Robson at Sporting Lisbon, Porto and Barcelona

1997-2000: Stayed on at Barcelona under Dutchman Louis van Gaal

From BBC Sport website prior to appointment at Chelsea

ToadKiller Dog

Somebody somewhere said that scott leitch is well ****ed off with Mcghee's change of heart ,would not be against going back for leitch as a number 2 to who ever we eventually get in at the top job ,could see him work with Davis.

yeah just like his old boss jose untried won the champions league in 3-5 years

brellierlegend
I thought Mourinho was Sir Bobby Robson's assistant at Barca?

From BBC Sport website prior to appointment at Chelsea

BBC Sport knows nothing then. I promise I am correct here. After being assistant to Robson and Van Gaal he was the manager of Benfica, then Leira and finally Porto before Chelsea.

Stuart Lyon

Full CV from BBC Sport

Have they got the chronological order wrong?

MOURINHO'S CV

2000-1: Lasted just nine games as Benfica coach before resigning after a contract row, then moving to Uniao Leiria, who he guided to the Uefa Cup

Jan 2002: Joined Porto and led them to third from their lowest ever position

2002-3: Won League, Cup and Uefa Cup treble with Porto

2003-4: Having already won the Portuguese league, Porto win European Cup final beating Monaco 3-0

Armageddon

Steve Clark is the man for me.

Been there at every level and has worked with the best, go on Vlad, burst the already burst bank and get him.

Jamboscanbevicius

Would take Clarke in a second. He is on his way out at Chelsea and may see this as a big opportunity to prove his worth as a manager in his own right.

Not a proven manager but better than any other suggestion I have heard as an alternative!

Somebody somewhere said that scott leitch is well ****ed off with Mcghee's change of heart ,would not be against going back for leitch as a number 2 to who ever we eventually get in at the top job ,could see him work with Davis.

I think that is a good call: in fact I'm wondering if he is the man behind Well's relative success as I have never rated McGhee highly as a manager.

Archived