What makes Tynecastle for you?

WSTR

What particular thing makes Tynecastle what it is for you?, whether it be the smell, the turnstile man you always go to, the old sign, a certain section, a certain flag or a certain fan.

For me it's the smell of the brewery/distillery. You can't beat the first game back at Tynecastle after a few months away in the summer and being greeted with that smell. I remember as a kid driving into Edinburgh and it was always the first thing I noticed. 

luckyBatistuta

Really miss the old sign. It was the thing i remembered most going to the games with my dad.

Phil Dunphy

Everything.

I've been to a lot of football grounds in my life, but nothing even comes close to matching Tynecastle.

When you step onto the concourse of the Wheatfield and you see just how close to the pitch you are, how steep the stands are and the general atmosphere.  The first time I went to a Hearts game, this was the first thing that struck me and it still makes me feel the same every time I go.  It feels like you're almost coming out of the players tunnel.

Brilliant place.  Long may it continue! :thumbsup:

I live 12,000 miles away but it seriously is my home.

Last time I was back, going from the Orwell to the Caley was brilliant but stepping into Tynecastle was just religious.

It always will be.

gashauskis9

Walking up the steps at the Wheatfield stand from Gorgie Rd turnstiles with the 86 Hearts song blaring out the tannoy.

Can't beat it.

Bit of everything for me. Walking down Gorgie Road whatever the weather, although it's even better when the floodlights are on.

The smell of the brewery is another thing for me. I also love how when you're in Tynecastle for that 2 hours or whatever it is, nothing else seems to exist. You seem to forget that you're right in the middle of a large and busy built up area.

Nowadays, going to Tynecastle is just part and parcel of my life but when I was younger it was a big deal for me to get taken along and back then, it really did seem a magical place.

Son Of Anarchy

A mixture of everything previously mentioned makes Tynie awesome but if I could take that brewery smell with me I'd die a very happy jambo. Now I'm off to copyright an airfreshner with the same aroma and retire.

141 years of amazing history just seems to come alive in Gorgie on a Saturday match day!

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

I love the smell from the brewery - gives me shivers when I smell it on a match day

Captain Canada

I just like pink bus shelters. Seriously though, I love the fact it's so hidden away then you turn a corner and see it appear before you. I love the badge on the old stand too.

Nookie Bear

Bit of everything for me. Walking down Gorgie Road whatever the weather, although it's even better when the floodlights are on.

The smell of the brewery is another thing for me. I also love how when you're in Tynecastle for that 2 hours or whatever it is, nothing else seems to exist. You seem to forget that you're right in the middle of a large and busy built up area.

Nowadays, going to Tynecastle is just part and parcel of my life but when I was younger it was a big deal for me to get taken along and back then, it really did seem a magical place.

One of the best things about Tynecastle is that it is buried right in the heart of Gorgie. Easter Road, like many "new"  stadiums, stand out and look impressive in their own way but Tynie is somehow hidden and part of it.

Fort Vallance

Everything.

I've been to a lot of football grounds in my life, but nothing even comes close to matching Tynecastle.

This exactly. I still get a buzz after 50 years when I get close, even when it's not a match day. I've even found myself taking a detour just to pass the ground on my way somewhere else. It's actually a bit sad for someone my age. 

colinmaroon

My memory of the first time I went to Tynecastle on my own. Walking down from Haymarket. The crowded streets. The bridge. The old sign and, yes, the smell and the roar when the team came out.

This type of thread reinforces my belief that we must stay in Gorgie, rather than look elsewhere.

For me, it's the buzz around Gorgie on the way to the ground.

The tannoy announcements, the smell of the brewery, the Club crest outside the Main Stand.

It is my home.

The smell, the Main Stand, the Gorgie Rd entrance and the church on the corner all are part of it but after nearly 50 years of following Hearts my breath still catches when I see the pitch, when I walk through whichever passage I'm at and see the grass, the white lines and the boys in maroon, that's it for me, that is Tynecastle.

The Treasurer

Tynecastle has changed almost beyond recognition in the 50 years I've been attending matches there.

But the one thing that makes it so special and has remained special to me throughout all the good and bad times is the simple fact that it is the home of Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

When Hearts are playing at home, there is nowhere else on earth I'd rather be.

Unknown user

The smell, the old stand (if it's possible to keep it I'd be a happy man), the feeling of being home.

I don't really like to go in the new stands, I served my apprenticeship in the family enclosure so the main stand is familiar, but every now and again I like to go in the Wheatfield so I can take in the magnificence of the main stand, the castle and The Tree.

I know lots of clubs do it and they're fine but it would break my heart to leave Tynecastle

Franco Fascione

Great stadium.  Great club.

Could do without dodging dog poo and rubbish which makes Gorgie look like a dump.

The smell of the brewery, midweek fixtures the sight of the single floodlight at the Gorgie Road end that you can see as you turn the corner at Ardmillan Terrace onto Gorgie Road has always excited me since I was a little kid walking down with my dad.

Jambo_Jarman

The steepness of the stands. I sat in row 23 for years but I always felt like I was right on top of the action. As soon as you get to, like, the 10th tier you've got as good a view of the other end as you would at Easter Road if you were 25 rows back. I don't want to knock Easter Road, it's a stadium too good for they ******s, but it pales in comparison to Tynecastle.

The walk from Gorgie Road, down McLeod Street, in at the back of the ticket office and through the old turnstile, the walk up the stairs (via the kiosk for a Bovril) and then a few more steps up to my seat in Section P. Everything about it is so familiar to me. It's the same feeling I get walking into my parents house where I grew up. It gives me massive happy feels. It's home, isn't it?

Same seat, same faces, same view (until they removed the dangling wire :angry:), same bashed knees, same loos, same exit. Scott Wilson's voice is definitely a part of it too. Never seems quite right when he's not there.

:wub:

My heart did a wee bursty thing just thinking about it. God forbid they ever want to knock down the Main Stand. I'll be in bits.

It has to be the smell. My wee boy even recognises Gorgie by the smell now.

It's certainly not the atmosphere - especially when the hospitality are the only ones singing!!

Cairneyhill Jambo

Walking from Haymarket along Gorgie Road.  The closer you get, the louder the buzz of the fans.

Its just amazing.

CRWJambo1991

I live in Montrose so I love waking up with even the excitement of getting to Haymarket to then walk along Georgie.

The atmosphere of walking to Tynecastle alone is special. Proud to be a Jambo

The smell of fermentng barley.

The fact that the stadium is slap bang in the middle of the local community.

The hearts pubs in the surrounding area.

The steepness of the stands.

The fact that Hearts play there.

Diadora Van Basten

I love walking past the Tynie Arms.

I love how you can see the Edinburgh skyline from the top of the wheatfield.

I love the maroon seats.

I love how when you come out the concourse you are very close to the pitch.

The steepness of the stands and how close they are to the pitch makes for an atmosphere second to none when it's full

The smell of the brewery

The view of the castle and Edinburgh's historic skyline from the back of the Wheatfield

Walking from Haymarket along Gorgie Road

Even with Hearts bias aside, I can't think of many more iconic stadiums.

The colour maroon painted around. The crest - old main stand,  the old turnstyles. The closeness to the pitch. The history

Watt-Zeefuik

The things I always remember most are Gorgie Rd., walking up the doorways and looking out onto the field, and Scott Wilson saying, "This is Tynecastle!"

That and the dog feces I somehow got on my jacket the last time I was there. :-/

Just being surrounded by like minded guys (and girls). Just being at the right side of town. Just before kick off "This is Tynecastle, Let's make some Noise". Just love being a Jambo! Been going for over 40 years and still feel like a daft wee laddie every time I walk up to the turnstiles. Getting annoyed cause there's no parking spaces at BT. The walk along Gorgie Road and knowing, just knowing "There's nae other team to compare wi the Hearts"!!

The smell but I'm not a great lover of Tynecastle. Hampden is my favourite ground.

bigladatthebackpost

The wee Victorian toilet hidden away in the Main Stand.

The weird columns of single seats in the Gorgie Stand.

The floodlights' glow over the railway bridge as you turn the corner of Ardmillan Terrace.

Even Scott Wilson warming up the crowd.

Glorious.

One thing is the way Section N and Section G are directly opposite each other.

Archived