After dinner speakers

bilstonjambo

bilstonjambo

Just wondered who is the best and worst after dinner speakers you have seen.

For me

Best

Tam Cowan

John Gahagan

John Rowbotham

Paul Reid

Worst

Frank macavennie

Bill leckie

Graham Roberts

I P Knightley

Best include:

• Fred MacAulay
  • Chris Martin (a young stand-up, not him out of Coldplay)

Worst undoubtedly:

• A bloke who came feted as a Perrier award winner, could have been called Arnold Brown? It was the most arse-clenchingly uncomfortable experience; the poor guy died at the start and kept on dying line after line. 

iamcraigbeattie

My dad, when he was still working, went to a few. He said the funniest he'd seen was Jim Leishman believe it or not.

Maybe my dad's work had some shite speakers previously...

Second vote for Jim Leishman. Been to a couple of dinners and he never disapoints!

Perth to Paisley

Going to a dinner on Saturday, Bob Valentine former referee is speaking, anyone heard him before?

Ask him about how he didn't see Schumacher trying to decapitate Battinson (spelling?) in the World Cup when he was the linesman!

jambo4_0matty

Went to one with George McNeill, ex sprinter, young player at Hibs and assistant manager to Jim Leishman at Livingston. He was really good

Best include:

• Fred MacAulay
  • Chris Martin (a young stand-up, not him out of Coldplay)

Worst undoubtedly:

• A bloke who came feted as a Perrier award winner, could have been called Arnold Brown? It was the most arse-clenchingly uncomfortable experience; the poor guy died at the start and kept on dying line after line. 

SpeakOutArnoldBrown.jpg

Another vote for John Gahagan , thought he was great...

"The press never liked me....I got released from Motherwell the same day Terry Waite got released.....but guess who got the more coverage..?"... :)

Rowbotham was good as well, started off speaking in Italian thinking he was Collina....

Gahagan is more telling jokes than fitba stories but he's good

rowbottom

kenny clark, another ref

seen other speakers at these things there was a bank manager at 1 who was very good and others i cant remember the names of. peter martin is good at compareing

on the negative side

chic charnley just no funny surprisingly, nae funny fitba stories either

alan rough thinks he's funny laughs all the way through everything to the point of making it tedious

Duncan MacKenzie spoke at the Willie Bauld a few years ago and I thought he was very good.

As was Craig Brown, surprisingly.

Nobby Stiles - just a few weeks before he died (seriously).

Really funny , really interesting and a great story about the England v Argentina game from the 66 world cup that never got in the press which was worth the admittance alone.

I P Knightley

SpeakOutArnoldBrown.jpg

That's how he looked pretty much all the way through the session and, I imagine, for at least 48 hours afterwards.

That's how he looked pretty much all the way through the session and, I imagine, for at least 48 hours afterwards.

Hahahaha.  Brilliant.

One of the vanguard of alternative comedy.  A bit marmite, perhaps.

Best I heard was Robbie Glenn, former governor at Barlinnie - told a few great stories and was very approachable afterwards to talk about Duncan Disorderly's time.

George McNeill was also superb as was a famous former referee whose name escapes me - Andrew Waddell, I think.

Worst was Bill McMurdo. Expected him to be hilarious but he just read bits from Colmenballs - a real disappointment.

doctor jambo

Jim Herald- former top flight ref- after dinner he asked me to leave his house and I was to stop seeing his daughter. I had been pretty scathing about his abilities and neutrality in response to some goading of Hearts and he suffered a major sense of humour failure.

I felt epic

The_razors_edge

Just wondered who is the best and worst after dinner speakers you have seen.

For me

Best

Tam Cowan

John Gahagan

John Rowbotham

Paul Reid

Worst

Frank macavennie

Bill leckie

Graham Roberts

I was at Sportsmans brunch a few weeks back and Paul Reid, Dick Campbell and Jimmy Nichol were the guest speakers.

Paul reid was brilliant...Would highly recommend.

Talk-o-the-North

Scott Glynn,George McNeil

Both excellent. Another is Eric Davidson.

I've also been in the company of John Gahagan at Winchburgh Bowling Club and as mentioned before was good value. He appeared along side an ex rugby pro. who came dressed in a loud Hawaiian shirt, cant remember the name but was also very funny.

Walter Payton

Went to one with George McNeill, ex sprinter, young player at Hibs and assistant manager to Jim Leishman at Livingston. He was really good

I was actually at a dinner on Saturday night where George McNeill was one of the speakers. He was very good, the best of the 3 by a long way.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Going to a Sportman's dinner at Carrick Knowe Bowling club at the end of March.

Willie Young and Chick Young amongst the speakers.

No idea how good it will be but looking forward to giving Chick some abuse :lol:

Worst

Jim Leishman

Duncan McKenzie*

Alan Kennedy*

Andy Goram

* i am maybe being harsh on these two as they both told good stories, but when you get both at the same event then it felt like you had heard it before.

Good

Gaghan (though needs to update routine)

Another good speaker was an ex Govenor or of Barlinnie, some good laughs and stories, different from the usual.

He was the speaker at Eammon Bannon's testimonial dinner and was really funny. I think Andy Cameron was at that as well but was not brilliant.

Both excellent. Another is Eric Davidson.

Thanks was trying to remember his name while posting the other two.He is very good as well,seen him at the fringe.

Gahagan is more telling jokes than fitba stories but he's good

rowbottom

kenny clark, another ref

seen other speakers at these things there was a bank manager at 1 who was very good and others i cant remember the names of. peter martin is good at compareing

on the negative side

chic charnley just no funny surprisingly, nae funny fitba stories either

alan rough thinks he's funny laughs all the way through everything to the point of making it tedious

Said Bank manager may well have been Peter Brown from Falkirk. He's very well-known on the after-dinner circuit and used to be my Boss at Bank of Scotland...decent guy!

Disser Pointon

John Gahagen is the best I've seen although, like many, his act doesn't change. Was at one last month with Andy Goram and, unless you are a loyalist bigot, he had nothing interesting to hear, hardly raised a chuckle from the crown and bolted as soon as he was finished. Worst ever.

Long dead best ever was Bob Crampsey, Gahagen and George McNeil also worth seeing. Robbo is pretty good these days too.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Second vote for Jim Leishman. Been to a couple of dinners and he never disapoints!

One of his most famous poems

There wiz a moose loose

Aboot our hoose

So we got a cat

And that wiz that

Most of the decent one's I've seen have been mentioned other than the wee malaysian guy, John (something)?? Comes out speaking in in malaysian and then just as it starts feeling uncomfortable he suddenly reverts to broad glasweigan.

The worst by far was Jimmy Nicol, pitched up late, demanded his dough before going on stage and then told shite stories for 15mins before heading for the door. Came across as an utter prick of a man tbh.

KingsknoweKid

Saw George Burley presenting awards at a function recently. He was wearing very thick milk bottle glasses and could barely see!!

Scott Glynn with the famous opening line "took my wife out last night  . . . . . with one punch!!"

The wee guy Jonathon Watson from Only an Excuse was surprisingly poor. 

The wee guy Jonathon Watson from Only an Excuse was surprisingly poor. 

Why was Jonathan Watson being poor a surprise? Everything he does is chronic.

The Great Khali

Peter Martin and Eric Davidson are tremendous comperes. I've only seen Peter once, last year, but he was funny as ****. Tam Cowan was also tremendous.

Everyone else has been mentioned but a wee mention for Craig Brown. Not so much for comedy but for the stories he told. Really interesting.

Two that I really liked were Major General Arthur Denaro! He talked openly and honestly about leading his Regiment in Basra. The other is a PE Teacher in Fife, Willie Allan... funny funny guy.

I really liked Donald Findlay, I saw him about 10 years ago and he ripped Rangers to shreds, supporters club had Tam Cowan last year, different class, he must have talked for nearly 2 hours in 3 slots when we had agreed 30/35 minute slot,he took over as compere and had the hall in stitches.

Fort Vallance

Joe Camay is the best I've heard but obviously a comedian rather than a speaker. The absolute worst was John Millar who used to write for the Sunday Mail. Although Bob Doolally ran him close. 

Said Bank manager may well have been Peter Brown from Falkirk. He's very well-known on the after-dinner circuit and used to be my Boss at Bank of Scotland...decent guy!

thats the guy, pretty funny for a banker

Most of the decent one's I've seen have been mentioned other than the wee malaysian guy, John (something)?? Comes out speaking in in malaysian and then just as it starts feeling uncomfortable he suddenly reverts to broad glasweigan.

The worst by far was Jimmy Nicol, pitched up late, demanded his dough before going on stage and then told shite stories for 15mins before heading for the door. Came across as an utter prick of a man tbh.

Nicol was a speaker at a smoker I was at a couple of year ago and was good. My mate organised the evening and never had any trouble with him. Maybe just an off night

Scott Glynn,George McNeil

Scott is absolutely hilarious and well worth the admission money to see IMO, never seen George, but have heard he`s very good from quite a few folk who have seen him.

bilstonjambo

Has anyone ever seen Jeff Winter, the ex premiership referee?

Dave McCreery's knee

Not seen Craigie Veitch, ex Scotsman sports editor mentioned. He's excellent.

3fingersreid

Not seen Craigie Veitch, ex Scotsman sports editor mentioned. He's excellent.

He spoke at my dads funeral , they were great friends, and he had us laughing at a time we needed it

Craigies not been in the best of health the last I'd heard unfortunately

tommythejambo

Was at one last night with Tam Cowan, Kenny Clark and Alan Rough.

All very good.

KilbrideJambo

I am going to a dinner this month and it's Martin O'Neill and Daley Thompson - anyone experienced them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkljl

Sex Panther

Paul Reid was brilliant. Rowbotham was good.

Seen Willie Henderson a few months back - not the greatest.

Isn't he a raving bigot? I seem to remember there being some fuss over the content of his website. Oddly a very keen Rangers fan as well. Who'd have thought the two thing could be linked.

bilstonjambo

Isn't he a raving bigot? I seem to remember there being some fuss over the content of his website. Oddly a very keen Rangers fan as well. Who'd have thought the two thing could be linked.

Yeah I know the story, not sure the outcome though, he claimed that his website had been hacked and that he was on a cruise at the time the story/comments were put on his website. You are correct to say he is a big Rangers fan and Middlesbrough.

Having spoken to him he does say that there is no Rangers content in his speaking, simply his time as a premiership ref, he must have a good few stories to tell. He did say he done a testimonial dinner at Tynecastle a few years back, he mentioned gary McKay, not sure if anyone could confirm that.

girvanjambo

Willie Young the 98 cup final ref is very good, as is Gahagan, as everyone agrees.

Murder McLeod was distinctly average.

Everybody loves Baz

Aye, absolutely shite.

And that is no joke.

Archived