The Damned Utd

Isaac Begbie

Isaac Begbie

While on holiday recently i read David Peace's novel The Damned Utd based on Brian Clough's 44 days in charge of Leeds in 1974. A cracking read.

I'm now keen to read something more factual on Old Big Head's career. I know there are plenty of books out there, can anyone recommend one?

Cheers

ToadKiller Dog

The books a good read they are currently shooting a film version of it also.

David Peaces other book GB83 on the miners strike is also worth a read.

Isaac Begbie
Have you read his autobiography? One of the best IMO.

Not yet, but fully intend to. Would also like to read one of the biographys to get a different perspective.

Provided You Don't Kiss Me: 20 Years with Brian Clough by Duncan Hamilton.

Worth a read.

Gigolo-Aunt
The books a good read they are currently shooting a film version of it also.

David Peaces other book GB83 on the miners strike is also worth a read.

David Pearce is one of my favorite authors. Was blown away by The Damned United and GB83.

ToadKiller Dog

sorry for highjacking this thread a little.

Anybody know who will be playing our own dave Mackay in the film version?

Gigolo-Aunt

Never realised there was going to be a film.

:)

ToadKiller Dog
Never realised there was going to be a film.

:)

Cheif obrian from star trek is Don Reevie and the guy who played Tony Blair as Cloughie .

Adi Dassler

Amazing book.

Stephen Graham who was in This is England is playing Billy Bremner.

Funny, as he is in Awaydays which is another film adaptation i'm really looking forward to this year.

Hope both films do themselves justice.

Going to check out GB83 as well.

davemclaren

Probably a hibby....Dougray Scott? :cool:

willie wallace

I really liked the book but thought it was as much about his time at Derby as the period at Leeds.The one thing i couldn't quite understand was the way in which he portrayed Clough.I know he said many of the things quoted in the book but the manner in which the author descibed Clough's inner thoughts and opinions seemed a bit strange considering this was a novel and not an authorised biography.I know Clough's widow was not very pleased but don't know if any action was taken.

Isaac Begbie

The book is basically a work of fiction based upon true events. It'll be interesting to see how they approach Clough's inner thoughts and feelings in a movie. If they stick rigidly to the novel then there will be a fair number of people (or families in the case of those who have passed away, eg Billy Bremner) who may not be too happy with how they are portrayed.

I know I'm going to sound a pedant, but isn't it GB84, given that's when the Miner's Strike was?

Started reading it but at the time I just couldn't get into it. Probably due a second attempt.

Funnily enough I was recommending the Damned Utd to my Dad today.

Gigolo-Aunt
I know I'm going to sound a pedant, but isn't it GB84, given that's when the Miner's Strike was?

Started reading it but at the time I just couldn't get into it. Probably due a second attempt.

Funnily enough I was recommending the Damned Utd to my Dad today.

Aye, its GB84.

I really enjoyed it. Some heartbreaking stuff.

The book is basically a work of fiction based upon true events. It'll be interesting to see how they approach Clough's inner thoughts and feelings in a movie. If they stick rigidly to the novel then there will be a fair number of people (or families in the case of those who have passed away, eg Billy Bremner) who may not be too happy with how they are portrayed.

Russell Howard was talking about it on his radio show today. He said he was sure that one of the Leeds players had sued over his portrayal in the book but couldn't remember which one. Haven't read it myself. The fictional aspect puts me off it.

It's Michael Sheen playing Clough in the film. Can't imagine that, but then again he was brilliant as Kenneth Williams and that was unexpected too.

ToadKiller Dog
know I'm going to sound a pedant, but isn't it GB84, given that's when the Miner's Strike was?

That was me being stupid earlier

He said he was sure that one of the Leeds players had sued over his portrayal in the book but couldn't remember which one. Haven't read it myself

Think it was johnny Gilles,he does not feature in later editions of the book,

I agree it is difficult to distinguish between fact and fiction and the book mentions practices which would be frowned upon these days,reading it i thought his take on the inner thoughts of clough could be plausable.

But it is a fiction and Peace is not the first to do such a book on a historical character ,maybe hurts some a bit as Clough is still well remembered and he passed away not that long ago.

I really liked the book but thought it was as much about his time at Derby as the period at Leeds.The one thing i couldn't quite understand was the way in which he portrayed Clough.I know he said many of the things quoted in the book but the manner in which the author descibed Clough's inner thoughts and opinions seemed a bit strange considering this was a novel and not an authorised biography.I know Clough's widow was not very pleased but don't know if any action was taken.

One bit I remember in particular was Clough (fiction) recalling one of his falling outs with Peter Taylor. In his autobiography it came across as PT being a bit sensitive to being slagged off in front of the players in a bit that was a little more light hearted. In The Damned United the moment is recalled with Clough looking like a complete **** taking his anger out on Taylor who clearly doesn't deserve it and nearly walks out.

Then again, I can't understand any action being taken. It has always been billed as a work of fiction.

Fantastic book, not sure how it will translate into a film however, especially given the structure of the narrative. I also think the omission of Johnny Giles is going to be extremely difficult to overcome, especially as he is a central character, i'd be interested to know how this has been dealt with in the later editions of the book?

Archived