A fresh start

scott herbertson

scott herbertson

If MM does come in , he may have two or three players in mind to improve the side.

He will also want to have a look at the current squad and assess them from his own perspective.

For some players that may provide a chance for a fresh start. Here is my list of players who have a chance to shine in the next three months to influence MM.

there are only a few who I think are safe for now

Banks

Berra

Driver

Glen

Jonsson

Palazuelos

High earners - prove they're worth it or be put put up for sale:

Kingston

Pinilla

Beslija

Aguiar

Nade

squaddies

Wallace

karapides

Neilson

Stewart

Miko

Chesny

Zaliukas

Ivaskevicius

Mole

a chance to provers

Thomson

McGowan

Robinson

Copil

Rapnik

Kostadinov

Templeton

Basso

Bjornsson

Out the doorers

Elliot (no chance of playing given his failed loan spell at Well)

Makela (doubt if he will be back)

etc

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I can't wait to see what MM thinks of Pinilla.

Should be interesting to say the least! :)

If MM does come in , he may have two or three players in mind to improve the side.

He will also want to have a look at the current squad and assess them from his own perspective.

For some players that may provide a chance for a fresh start. Here is my list of players who have a chance to shine in the next three months to influence MM.

Banks

Berra

Driver

Glen

Jonsson

Palazuelos

Kingston

Pinilla

Beslija

Aguiar

Nade

squaddies

Wallace

karapides

Neilson

Stewart

Miko

Chesny

Zaliukas

Ivaskevicius

Mole

a chance to provers

Thomson

McGowan

Robinson

Copil

Rapnik

Kostadinov

Templeton

Basso

Bjornsson

Out the doorers

etc

MM will put a rocket up Pinillas arse! he will have him firing on all cylinders or he will be punted. I hope MM gets the gig on monday! if he does and Vlad allows him a small budget and a free reign on moving out the sheet, then we will have a very good season 08/09

Who's out of contract in Scotland that could have impressed him?

Ross McCormack

Barry Nicholson

Mark Kerr

I'd take any of them.

Ross McCormack

Barry Nicholson

Mark Kerr

I'd take any of them.

Especially Kerr - great wee player, IMO.

I hope that he will look to build the side around the likes of Neilson, Berra, Wallace, Jonsson, Driver - our best players this season.

I hope that all our luxury players go - if McGhee judges that he can't get professional performances out of them. And obviously he will if allowed to move on the Kaunas players. He played a fair number of youngsters at Motherwell and was pretty shrewd in who he brought in. So hopefully he can take the best of what we have and build on it - as Burley did.

Ross McCormack

Barry Nicholson

Mark Kerr

I'd take any of them.

I wouldn't take Kerr or Nicholson. McCormack being that bit younger still has scope for improvement, so possibly.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Ross McCormack

Barry Nicholson

Mark Kerr

I'd take any of them.

I would be delighted with all 3 of them.

Especially Kerr (who has been linked) and McCormack.

I wouldn't take Kerr or Nicholson. McCormack being that bit younger still has scope for improvement, so possibly.

I think all 3 would make an impact, which is what we need. I've always been impressed with Nicholson, Kerr has had a good season (especially in the cup final before his suicide back pass) and McCormack looks a quality player.

Anyone else impressed?

troonjambo

Banks

Berra

Driver

Glen

Jonsson

Palazuelos

Kingston

Pinilla

Beslija

Aguiar

Nade

squaddies

Wallace

karapides

Neilson

Stewart

Miko

Chesny

Zaliukas

Ivaskevicius

Mole

a chance to provers

Thomson

McGowan

Robinson

Copil

Rapnik

Kostadinov

Templeton

Basso

Bjornsson

Out the doorers

etc

the best fresh start:):):):):):):):) will be the fans no longer thinking they should be picking the team i look forward to it with a passion as well as seeing what a proper manager/coach set up will get out off these players i have maintained for the last year and a half that we have no idea how good/bad our players are untill there managed properly (with the exception of elliott )

scott herbertson
the best fresh start:):):):):):):):) will be the fans no longer thinking they should be picking the team i look forward to it with a passion as well as seeing what a proper manager/coach set up will get out off these players i have maintained for the last year and a half that we have no idea how good/bad our players are untill there managed properly (with the exception of elliott )

Absolutely agree

I am sure there will be some players who we have written off who will respond to McGhee, and others who wil not fit his desired pattern of play.

Also agre it is noce to have something to look forward to next season

Boaby Ewing
I hope that he will look to build the side around the likes of Neilson, Berra, Wallace, Jonsson, Driver - our best players this season.

I hope that all our luxury players go - if McGhee judges that he can't get professional performances out of them. And obviously he will if allowed to move on the Kaunas players. He played a fair number of youngsters at Motherwell and was pretty shrewd in who he brought in. So hopefully he can take the best of what we have and build on it - as Burley did.

I'd certainly hope that he believes he can.

But it'll need a big clear-out of the dross surrounding them.

I don't think he'll have the budget of Burley, so I'd be happy with third next season given it'll probably take a bit of time to rebuild. Looking at the league through rose tinted glasses though, it shouldn't actually take Burley's budget to at least push the Old Firm next season. They are utter gash.

But I don't want to get carried away - so presuming he signs, I'd settle for a team that actually looks like it cares, plays a bit of football, and scooshes third place.

Guest GhostHunter

Did Burley (sorry Bhurley) actually have a budget ?

Trying to think what he forked out when he came in ?

?350K for Pospisil...

Malcolm Tucker

?350K for Pospisil...

500k for Bednar.

scott herbertson

?350K for Pospisil...

Player budget includes wages as well as signing on fees etc - so you would have to add in Bednar, Brellier , Skacel + whoever else he brought in (I was never sure whether guys like Camazola, Fyssas were entirely Romanov or whether Burley had a say?)

Malcolm Tucker
Bednar was a Kaunas player IIRC....

...Well Kaunas paid 500k for him then:p

Boaby Ewing

It's maybe unfair to call it's 'Burley's budget' - but there's no getting away from the fact that we must have been shelling out a fair bit on wages that season with Takis, Janny and the like.

I'm presuming we're operating (or aiming to) operate on a smaller budget now, despite the wages being paid to Kingston and Pinilla.

I don't think any players McGhee might bring in would be massive earners.

Rawrrrrrrr

Given romanov to date has not given a manager carte blanche on players, has admitted previously he sees this as his job and has already made moves to offer trials etc what makes you think McGhee will be given any choice in who comes in?

Given romanov to date has not given a manager carte blanche on players, has admitted previously he sees this as his job and has already made moves to offer trials etc what makes you think McGhee will be given any choice in who comes in?

Another positive, pro Hearts response from Prancer.

Excellent dude.

If you are saying Neilson then you may as well just throw in Elliot as well.

Mark Reynolds

Stephen Hughes (Can't believe I am saying that)

Ross McCormack

Chris Porter

Barry Nicholson

Willo Flood

Mark Kerr (Still not sure about him)

Alan Gow

Russel Anderson

Darren Barr

Frazer Wright

Marius Niculae

These are all players we should be looking at.

But with a much bigger budget I would expect McGhee to look at quite a few players down south.

Then there is Vladimir Romanov's contacts.

I reckon if/when McGhee is appointed then the transfer market will be interesting.

Guest GhostHunter

:hobofish:

By the fact that MM IS at Hearts, indicates what's gone on behind the scenes.

Unless you think MM is another puppet.

:rolleyes:

Guest JamboRobbo

If he does arrive, his first job IMO, is to get rid of all the overpaid ****e we have accumulated over the past couple of years.

Decide if there are any players he can salvage from the current imposters, then bring in the quality of player a team spending 12.49M on wages should have.

Guest GhostHunter
If he does arrive, his first job IMO, is to get rid of all the overpaid ****e we have accumulated over the past couple of years.

Decide if there are any players he can salvage from the current imposters, then bring in the quality of player a team spending 12.49M on wages should have.

Correctamundo.

Still, we'll only be 2years behind schedule when he's actually started Operation DeadWood Expulsion.

scott herbertson

I doubt if it is ever as black and white as you paint it (perhaps a change of user name to 'Paint it Black' come to think of it....)

Jefferies - before cup win Robinson vetoed - then after cup win had a budget ( but according to Robinson overspent it)

Levein - started off as head coach only - could suggest players - by the end had more authority within a set budget (I would guess)

Robertson - not in long enough

Burley - appears that he had a budget but that Romanov also purchased players - Burley (see signature) at least at first had some sor tof control over whether these players played or not

Rix - had a little budget (Johnston, Hackett etc) but largely Romanov and his DOF etc brought in the players

Ivanauskas - par tof the Romanov team so probably decision by committee

Frail - no budget - probably allowed to look at local players (Templeton, Husband etc)

McGhee - I would guess will have a budget + will have a chance to look at 'suggested' players + (I hope) the right to play or not play as he will pick the team.

Of course if what I suggest is the deal it could easily go mammories northwards if McGhee decides never to play a Romanov recommended purchase.....

Rawrrrrrrr
:hobofish:

By the fact that MM IS at Hearts, indicates what's gone on behind the scenes.

Unless you think MM is another puppet.

:rolleyes:

Sadly I do think if he comes he will be, although I think he has more self respect than actually to come and be a puppet

Romanov for 3 years here and countless years in his other enterprises has been very dictorial, why do you think he will change suddenly for hearts?

I dont think a bad season or a bit of dissent from the fans is enough to change his opinion

The fact we have happily been offering trials and scouting players whilst we don't have a manager just reinforces this to me

If romanov was serious about giving a new manager control, we wouldnt be offering extended contracts to the likes of Basso or offering trials to Buscher and god knows what else he is upto which hasnt hit the media

Guest JamboRobbo

Of course if what I suggest is the deal it could easily go mammories northwards if McGhee decides never to play a Romanov recommended purchase.....

I hope Mcghee has the balls to not even consider doing anything Romanov "recomends", and walk if Vlad doesn't accept that.

We've all witnessed the results of Vlad sticking his nose in where it ain't wanted over the past 2 years.

Guest GhostHunter

Trials Prancer....Trials....

And what's to say that the players like Buscher aren't ones McGhee wants to see ?

Extending contracts are presumably done by the club so that they can generate a revenue when it comes to selling them on.

Sadly I do think if he comes he will be, although I think he has more self respect than actually to come and be a puppet

Romanov for 3 years here and countless years in his other enterprises has been very dictorial, why do you think he will change suddenly for hearts?

I dont think a bad season or a bit of dissent from the fans is enough to change his opinion

The fact we have happily been offering trials and scouting players whilst we don't have a manager just reinforces this to me

If romanov was serious about giving a new manager control, we wouldnt be offering extended contracts to the likes of Basso or offering trials to Buscher and god knows what else he is upto which hasnt hit the media

Based on what - what do you know about Mark McGhee to know what he will and won't accept to take on the managerial position at Heart of Midlothian.

Questions

- Do you know Mark McGhee?

- Do you know any associates of Mark McGhee who know what his current thoughs are?

If you can answer any of the above with a YES - then I will listen to what you say.

Othwerise you are spouting your usual negative PISH (a term you have used before in a subject heading) means nothing to me and should mean nothing to the majority on this board.

Rawrrrrrrr
Trials Prancer....Trials....

And what's to say that the players like Buscher aren't ones McGhee wants to see ?

Extending contracts are presumably done by the club so that they can generate a revenue when it comes to selling them on.

So your saying we must have poached McGhee? I don't think for a second that is the case

I would suggest its a last gasp PR Stunt to boost the St Sales.

As for it being a fresh start, what part of tying down basso and others to new contracts beyond the year they have left is a fresh start for a new man

Surely this should be left up to the new man in complete control? and im sure they would not be offering basso a new deal

Guest JamboRobbo

Had Vlad wished to give a manager that control, these decisions (especially dishing out 3 year contracts) could've waited till the manager came in and assessed the players.

None of the players were coming out of contract, so there was no need for a rush decision on extensions. Other than to allow Vlad to do what he wanted before the new man comes in......

scott herbertson
I hope Mcghee has the balls to not even consider doing anything Romanov "recomends", and walk if Vlad doesn't accept that.

We've all witnessed the results of Vlad sticking his nose in where it ain't wanted over the past 2 years.

I am sure that McGhee and Romanov will have a shared understanding of how their relationship will work. I am also sure that Romanov will have and express his opinions on team matters.

there will be times - like the Tall contract situation, when Romanov from a business perspective will want to influence team selection.I think many CEOs/ chairmen/ owners will have that sort of influence and I don't have a problem with it if it is based on a sound business judgement.

I am sure they will have discussed this and agreed what should happen in these cases.

Of course, it may not work in practice. In which case we are screwed.....

And also of course, as soon as someone is dropped or selected and it seems not to fit with form, there will be a host of hand wringers on here suggesting that we are screwed already, and we should polish off our placards and pitchforks.

We will only know them by their actions, not words.

I doubt whether McGhee would put up with 'recommendations' which are in fact orders, unless they are within a pre-agreed framework.

Perhaps, but I doubt it. The bottom line is that MM cannot lose by coming to Hearts, since if he fails he can walk away and everyone will blame interference from VR.

Because CO and others have been trying to persuade him that his methods aren't working. Of course he may pay no attention, but the wording of the Jan 1 statement suggests otherwise.

I agree, but it's not just one bad season or one bit of dissent.

This part I can't understand at all. The Civil Service continues to run the country when Parliament isn't in session, during elections, etc. It's unrealistic to expect all business at Hearts to cease while we don't have a manager (which we haven't had for some time, since Frail was a caretaker). It's not ideal, but I am certain it goes on at all clubs to a certain extent. Both sides of the OF have recently signed players without a manager in place, and nobody bats an eyelid.

Guest JamboRobbo
I am sure that McGhee and Romanov will have a shared understanding of how their relationship will work. I am also sure that Romanov will have and express his opinions on team matters.

there will be times - like the Tall contract situation, when Romanov from a business perspective will want to influence team selection.I think many CEOs/ chairmen/ owners will have that sort of influence and I don't have a problem with it if it is based on a sound business judgement.

I am sure they will have discussed this and agreed what should happen in these cases.

Of course, it may not work in practice. In which case we are screwed.....

I doubt whether McGhee would put up with 'recommendations' which are in fact orders, unless they are within a pre-agreed framework.

Agree with this.

I see either Vlad keeps his mits out and McGhee brings us success, or Vlad interferes and McGhee is gone by Christmas.

Time will tell how it works out.

And also of course, as soon as someone is dropped or selected and it seems not to fit with form, there will be a host of hand wringers on here suggesting that we are screwed already, and we should polish off our placards and pitchforks.

We will only know them by their actions, not words.

Equally, even if the same farcical interference by the mad one continues, and player after player speaks out about the problems via the press, there will be those on here who make excuses for the mad one and pretend his interference is not the problem.

Only a Game
I'd love to see Nicolson at Hearts...

Me too. One of the most underrated players in the SPL IMO.

Dont fancy Kerr much. Havent ever seen him contribute much to a game.

McCormack probably already has plans for next season so we might have missed out on that one.

I'd love us to go and get Lee Miller back.

Towards the top of the wish list would be Riordan and/or Gow.

scott herbertson
Agree with this.

I see either Vlad keeps his mits out and McGhee brings us success, or Vlad interferes and McGhee is gone by Christmas.

Time will tell how it works out.

Equally, even if the same farcical interference by the mad one continues, and player after player speaks out about the problems via the press, there will be those on here who make excuses for the mad one and pretend his interference is not the problem.

I doubt if it would get to that point now, JR.

If Romanov agrees not to interfere, then does, I think Mcghee would be off very quickly.

The way I see it, if Mcghee comes then the fans, whether hatckers, vlad sheep or shades in between, can only gain from this. It wil clarify the interference thing once and for all.

Interference - = McGhee goes, fans act

No interference - = McGhee stays, fans happy

It should unite the fans, I think.

My plea would be we at least give mcGhee 6 months to manage his way, before we start examining every team selection for the fingerprint of Romanov's interfering hand.

Otherwise I'll get very grumpy again....

:)

Guest JamboRobbo
I doubt if it would get to that point now, JR.

If Romanov agrees not to interfere, then does, I think Mcghee would be off very quickly.

The way I see it, if Mcghee comes then the fans, whether hatckers, vlad sheep or shades in between, can only gain from this. It wil clarify the interference thing once and for all.

Interference - = McGhee goes, fans act

No interference - = McGhee stays, fans happy

Agree those are the two scenarios, although as we've seen over the past 2 years, I'm not sure what the fans can actually do about it.

It should unite the fans, I think.

My plea would be we at least give mcGhee 6 months to manage his way, before we start examining every team selection for the fingerprint of Romanov's interfering hand.

Otherwise I'll get very grumpy again....

:)

I think you should be directing your plea at Vlad, not the fans.......:P

Only a Game

I dont mind him listening to Vlad and his "recommendations" He'll have to I think. As long as when he walks out the door after a "recommendations" meeting, he has a wee chuckle to himself, shakes his head, and picks his own team.

I also think he might have to accept that players nearing the end of their contracts who have not re-signed, will not be allowed to play.

Guest JamboRobbo
I dont mind him listening to Vlad and his "recommendations" He'll have to I think. As long as when he walks out the door after a "recommendations" meeting, he has a wee chuckle to himself, shakes his head, and picks his own team.

Yeah, pretty much what I'm getting at. Vlad can say whatever he likes, but McGhee needs to just ignore him and pick his own team, and let Vlad fire him if he cannie handle it.......

the best fresh start:):):):):):):):) will be the fans no longer thinking they should be picking the team i look forward to it with a passion as well as seeing what a proper manager/coach set up will get out off these players

Agree with that.

We all think we know the best team, but when others are chosen they should receive our support.

scott herbertson
Yeah, pretty much what I'm getting at. Vlad can say whatever he likes, but McGhee needs to just ignore him and pick his own team, and let Vlad fire him if he cannie handle it.......

That'll do me too!

Nelly Terraces

It's OK, I've assessed the current squad for Mr McGhee, thus saving him the onerous task of working out each players differing abilities. Here is my in depth dosier:

They're nearly all total p*sh. Start again, and bring your own blokes in, really, just do it, you won't be wrong.

Cheers. It's OK, don't thank me people, I'm just doing my job as a Hearts fan. Ta.

scott herbertson
It's OK, I've assessed the current squad fro Mr McGhee, thus saving him the onerous task of working out each players differing abilities. Here is my in depth dosier:

They're nearly all total p*sh. Start again, and bring your own blokes in, really, just do it, you won't be wrong.

Cheers. It's OK, don't thank me people, I'm just doing my job as a Hearts fan. Ta.

Nice one Nelly - I could have saved myself a lot of one fingered typing there...

;)

Nelly Terraces

Thanks. I struggled long and hard to try and define a generic categorization for the current playing staff, but I feel Mr McGhee will find the one that, after much deliberation, I settled for won't be far off the mark in it's basic assessment.

scott herbertson
Thanks. I struggled long and hard to try and define a generic categorization for the current playing staff, but I feel Mr McGhee will find the one that, after much deliberation, I settled for won't be far off the mark in it's basic assessment.

Perhaps I'll send him a telegram

To Mr Mark McGhee

"Orange Juice"

Guest GhostHunter
It's OK, I've assessed the current squad for Mr McGhee, thus saving him the onerous task of working out each players differing abilities. Here is my in depth dosier:

The conversation between McGhee, Leitch and Romanov thus...

MM - W@nk,W@nk,W@nk,W@nk,W@nk,W@nk,W@nk,W@nk,W@nk,W@nk,W@nk

VR - ehski ?

MM - W@nk, W@nk, W@nk, W@nk, Good Guy (as he points at Leitch)

VR - sighski

MM - And finally, (as he points at VR), W@nk

:D

Archived