wester hailes

kevinref

need some info, have been offered a house in barn park,

what is area like quiet? pubs, shops buses in area

any info would be helpful

My mate stays just round the corner in Harvester's Way and hasn't had any bother. Think it's quite quiet around there. You certainly wouldn't want to be going to any of the local pubs though!

Wester Hailes shopping centre is a short walk away and is a bit of a hub for buses.

Walter Payton

My mate stays just round the corner in Harvester's Way and hasn't had any bother. Think it's quite quiet around there. You certainly wouldn't want to be going to any of the local pubs though!

Wester Hailes shopping centre is a short walk away and is a bit of a hub for buses.

I've got a mate who lives in Harvesters Way & likes it.

I stay in Harvesters Way (as Craig is referring to!)

This topic was discussed before, I posted this at the time. Mostly still true! Don't know anybody who stays in Barn Park though.

Chaka Demus & pliers

Forgot about that WHEC top rated school claim :lol:

:lol:

No surprise really. Except Today was none other than :lies:

North Berwick Jambo

Forgot about that WHEC top rated school claim :lol:

Back in the late eighties i am sure WHEC was one of the first schools to set up a creche for pupils because so many slappers got pregnant and it was the only way to get them back to school with the kids :)

need some info, have been offered a house in barn park,

what is area like quiet? pubs, shops buses in area

any info would be helpful

Not sure about Barn Park but I'm Sooperstar's mate and only a few mins walk from there - I can certainly vouch for the new flats area on Harvesters Way. Very quiet and all mainly young professionals in my block. Been here 4/5 years now and never had a hint of trouble. Good transport links with the buses and the train station only a 2 min walk away. A few "rough" looking folk occasionally hanging around the shopping center but again, never seen any trouble.

We've started a family and are looking to buy somewhere bigger but otherwise I'm perfectly happy here. Our flat is up for sale at the moment (dont think i'd be allowed to post a link but easy to find on espc) - its a decent size and I'd recommend it as a place to get on the propery ladder.

There's a new development going up at the moment too (at the end of our road behind the Odeon Cinema).

Barn park is not the brand new ones but they're ok mate. Could be worse!! Used to ken a boy who was known as "the captain" who stayed there though. He was spraffin on about "runnin the Calders" one day, no heard fae him since!! [emoji106]

i used to deliver to barn park all the time. Through my own ignorance, I was always scared at the thought of going there with my delivery money etc... But in reality, I never had any bother, or seen anything out of the ordinary.

The council seem to be doing a lot refits at the moment, so hopefully that one has been updated.

The 30 will pass nearby.

There is a wee cornershop over by the bus stop in Clovenstone.

The doctor surgery is excellent.

If you have a pet the vet is really good.

I went to WHEC in the 80`s(i can read and write btw) but stayed in the Calders.

Calders, Sighthill, Wester Hailes were all good places to grow up, i have great memories. They had their problems , of course they did, but there`s good and bad everywhere. Part is just knowing where to go and where not to i suppose and also where to settle down if you are moving there.

I`d say Wester Hailes has areas within it which have traditionally been more troublesome than other areas but one minute you can be in a rough bit then the next a quiet part.

I've stayed in Clovenstone for 6 years and was not sure about move as not from area but had no hassle or bother and seen things that would happen in most areas,great for buses and local shops is a laugh for people watching,got a swimming pool close by as well.

Matthew Le Tissier

I live right by the bridge at Clovenstone. Yes there are junkies, but they are everywhere. Get the odd spot of arseholes on the bridge itself and thats about it in the 4 years ive been there.

Like any area in Edinburgh it's got it's arseholes. However like all schemes in the city, it's nowhere near as bad as it's reputation suggests.

A lot of the schemes if not all, have a lot of very modern houses which aren't all occupied by your general schemie families meaning the areas are a lot more diluted as such.

I lived in Clovenstone Park fairly recently with an ex.  In the year or so I was there, never really had any hassle.  Was always pretty quiet.  Who's in your stair will be a factor I guess. It just takes one idiot to spoil a stair, but I guess that can happen anyhwere.  The shopping centre is decent and if you like cycling you are close to the canal as well. 

Archived