Data back up?

The Old Tolbooth

The Old Tolbooth

My laptop is almost a year old now and I have a funny feeling they don't make them to last like they used to, so I'm seeking advice on the best data back up site available.

Are they trustworthy?

Are they cheap?

Can I do it without a credit card?

The reason I ask is because I acquired a free cd from PC World which gives me 1GB of data to save for free, however after having a look at it, you need to register a credit card with them and it won't accept Maestro or Switch, and I cut my credit cards up 3 years ago and won't entertain another one.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers :)

Jed The Jedi

Dont know how cheap you are talking mate, but i use a 120 Gig 2.5 inch external usb hardrive, you can get them for about ?45 and they are yours to keep in the end.

Rawrrrrrrr

As suggested above buy an external hard drive and save the essentials to that

Even massive ones are sub 100 pounds now and can allow you to transfer mass date easily

If you dont need a massive memory could get one for 30-40 quid

Back up sites may work out a bit cheaper but I personally would prefer knowing I am in control of my data and not some third party should it be needed

Its unlikely but if the site crashed or went bust you could be screwed

Jed The Jedi

Forgot to mention that but as prancer says i also like being in charge of all my data.;)

Rawrrrrrrr
Forgot to mention that but as prancer says i also like being in charge of all my data.;)

I also like the fact that it can be destroyed quickly ;)

davemclaren
I also like the fact that it can be destroyed quickly ;)

Surely your mum wouldn't have access though? :rolleyes:

The Old Tolbooth

Cheers for the info guys, I'm a bit thick when it comes to PC tekky things :(

Craig-Section Z

On a similar note i am looking for an external hard drive. My problem is id like it to be able to access it from a Mac and a Windows based laptop but i believe both use different structures (or whatever the word is). The laptop is Vista based which seems to make it even more awkward as Leopard and Vista dont seem to get on with each other!!

I think i could split the drive in two and have a half for each but this kinda defeats the purpose (id have to duplicate data) as id like both to be able to use the same drive and same data. Is this possible without actually setting up a server or something??

On a similar note i am looking for an external hard drive. My problem is id like it to be able to access it from a Mac and a Windows based laptop but i believe both use different structures (or whatever the word is). The laptop is Vista based which seems to make it even more awkward as Leopard and Vista dont seem to get on with each other!!

I think i could split the drive in two and have a half for each but this kinda defeats the purpose (id have to duplicate data) as id like both to be able to use the same drive and same data. Is this possible without actually setting up a server or something??

Have a look at this:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB276LL/A?fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/airport_wireless&mco=Njg2MzY3

Not platform dependent and as long as you have a wireless network, it's the business. Comes in a 1 TB version as well!

Archived