What should be Scotland's National Anthem ?

Maroon Sailor

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Man's a man for A'that. That said I can't imagine belting it round Murrayfield.

Highland Cathedral would be an improvement.

There is a land far from this distant shore
Where heather grows and Highland eagles soar
There is a land that will live ever more
Deep in my heart, my Bonnie Scotland

Though I serve so far away I still see your streams, cities and dreams I can't wait until the day When I'll come home once more

And so Lord keep me from the harm of war
Through all its dangers and the battle's roar
Keep me safe until I'm home once more
Home to my own in Bonnie Scotland

Loch Lomond would be my preferred choice

It would need to be shortened considerably. Way too long.

That said, I wouldn't change from Flower of Scotland

Michael Marra: Hermless.

Which Mick actually did write as his suggestion for an anthem. But he was more perceptive than most people.

Adopt the English national anthem aye?

For what reason?

There's always one. At what point was it the anthem of England alone?

Adopt the English national anthem aye?

For what reason?

If it's good enough for scottish athletes at the Olympics then why not everything else??

Bridge of Djoum

There's always one. At what point was it the anthem of England alone?

''Always one''?

There are a few people on here who will post just to provoke. Not rising to you.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

If it's good enough for scottish athletes at the Olympics then why not everything else??

A massive percentage of the population of Scotland despise the song, Floyd. So probably not a good choice of anthem.

''Always one''?

There are a few people on here who will post just to provoke. Not rising to you.

Like it or not, it's your national anthem

Bridge of Djoum

Like it or not, it's your national anthem

I could be pedantic and bring up my American citizenship, but I won't.

This. Why change it? It's a superb national anthem which is recognised worldwide.

A good folk song, but it is a dirge, and not an anthem. GSTQ is slightly better, but is not upbeat, compared to the likes of the French, Herman, U.S, and even Welsh national anthems.

Which Mick actually did write as his suggestion for an anthem. But he was more perceptive than most people.

Never heard of this guy or song, so had a listen now and it's really good. Not sure about as a National Anthem, but I think I'll look into more of his stuff. Cheers.

Flower of Scotland is crap. Such a bad song.

Highland Cathedral or Scotland the Brave with new wording OR A mans a man which has superb meaning.

As for GSTQ its the British not the English national anthem. The English lack a set anthem of their own. There are calls for it to be Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory.

Scotland the Brave.

I like Caledonia, but it's more a song for expats than an anthem for people who live here.

Flower of Scotland is a dirge about a 700 year-old fight and if/when Scotland becomes independent will make no sense. Scotland The Brave is an uplifting song about loving your country and your ambitions for it.

A Man's A Man is a good shout too - as is Auld Lang Syne.

loveofthegame

Caledonia and Loch Lomond are incredible songs, but they are essentially "pop" songs - a national anthem should not be that type of song.

Sing them in the stands but they shouldn't be the anthem.

Flower of Scotland is just fine.

used to love Scotland the Brave as an anthem when it was used at the Commonwealth games, but nobody knew the words, they just clapped along until .....Scotland The Brave.

Love Flower of Scotland but can;t sing it anymore after the referendum, agree with some others - A man's a man for a that

Loch Lomond is a lovely and very sad song (and I hate how it's been jazzed up in its adoption by the TA.) Don't think the lamenting of a soon-to-be-executed man that he is never going to see his love again is a good basis for an anthem though.

Archived