The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Psychedelicropcircle

The claim it's the people who will decide when we have another referendum is hilariously rubbish. The time and context has been set out and the SNP will be the ones who decide when they go for it. Salmond has set out the 3 positions:

1. Not getting devolution as they define it.

2. Continued austerity.

3. The EU vote not going the right way.

So they have this in their manifesto and come 2017 they make their move based on what follows.

The people are only important in as much that they back the SNP into office and then back their constitutional agenda. Quite frankly the nation should've went for yes in September. This is an ongoing picking at the seems of the Union and the issues that need corrected being ignored for yet more navel gazing is tiring.

Your party abstains when it comes to the sorting of 'issues'

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your party abstains when it comes to the sorting of 'issues'

Can't disagree with you. But that doesn't excuse the SNP and the neverendum noises we're hearing.

Psychedelicropcircle

Can't disagree with you. But that doesn't excuse the SNP and the neverendum noises we're hearing.

Surprised you didn't come back with, but but but pairing??

The claim it's the people who will decide when we have another referendum is hilariously rubbish. The time and context has been set out and the SNP will be the ones who decide when they go for it. Salmond has set out the 3 positions:

1. Not getting devolution as they define it.

2. Continued austerity.

3. The EU vote not going the right way.

So they have this in their manifesto and come 2017 they make their move based on what follows.

The people are only important in as much that they back the SNP into office and then back their constitutional agenda. Quite frankly the nation should've went for yes in September. This is an ongoing picking at the seems of the Union and the issues that need corrected being ignored for yet more navel gazing is tiring.

Arguably due to having a majority at Holyrood and Westminster the SNP are the voice of the electorate, so for them to define conditions is in their role as representatives of the people?

I agree, the nation should have voted YES in September, however I understand why they didn't.  

Arguably, to "defeat" the SNP, independence may be required first!

jambos are go!

snp

Arguably due to having a majority at Holyrood and Westminster the SNP are the voice of the electorate, so for them to define conditions is in their role as representatives of the people?

I agree, the nation should have voted YES in September, however I understand why they didn't.  

Arguably, to "defeat" the SNP, independence may be required first!

Many more people voted NO in the Referendum than for the SNP in either the Holyrood or Westminster Elections methinks. I understand why they did. Despite that bring on another Referendum and knock "nonsense on stilts* of its perches for good.

snp

Many more people voted NO in the Referendum than for the SNP in either the Holyrood or Westminster Elections methinks. I understand why they did. Despite that bring on another Referendum and knock "nonsense on stilts* of its perches for good.

Oh, indeed.  The argument for a YES vote has still to be made.

But if we look at the trajectory the SNP vote is taking, I would question why they have eaten into the "No" vote e.g. if 55% voted NO, why have 50% voted SNP at the following election.  Granted, a lower turnout at GE15 than the Referendum, but does this mean NO voters aren't voting?

Also, the shift from Labour to SNP suggests to me that you would see a shift from "No" to "Yes", but that's merely my opinion and interpretation of results.

So, Holyrood 2016 will be a massive barometer of where we are.  If, as polls suggest, the SNP increase their majority under a system that was designed specifically to avoid such things then this must suggest a shift in favour of independence, given it is the SNP's "raison d'etre".  Again, perhaps a simplistic analysis, but hard to not interpret the figures as such.

jambos are go!

Oh, indeed.  The argument for a YES vote has still to be made.

But if we look at the trajectory the SNP vote is taking, I would question why they have eaten into the "No" vote e.g. if 55% voted NO, why have 50% voted SNP at the following election.  Granted, a lower turnout at GE15 than the Referendum, but does this mean NO voters aren't voting?

Also, the shift from Labour to SNP suggests to me that you would see a shift from "No" to "Yes", but that's merely my opinion and interpretation of results.

So, Holyrood 2016 will be a massive barometer of where we are.  If, as polls suggest, the SNP increase their majority under a system that was designed specifically to avoid such things then this must suggest a shift in favour of independence, given it is the SNP's "raison d'etre".  Again, perhaps a simplistic analysis, but hard to not interpret the figures as such.

As I understand it majority support still exists for the Union in most Polls.

I don't think it will happen but the SNP should be made to pay a heavy price for its timid administration and bare faced lying over another Referendum. Last week Sturgeon accused the Tories of being anti business and yet claims the SNP is a party of the left.

As I understand it majority support still exists for the Union in most Polls.

I don't think it will happen but the SNP should be made to pay a heavy price for its timid administration and bare faced lying over another Referendum. Last week Sturgeon accused the Tories of being anti business and yet claims the SNP is a party of the left.

Quite possibly, which makes 2016 election results all the more interesting.

Again, I don't disagree that this Government (or any government) should held to account for their record, just as opposition parties will be for theirs, whether they voted or abstained...  

Not sure regarding the bare faced lying over another referendum, I assume you mean the "once in a lifetime" comments.  Things change and times change so would be churlish to hold that up as "a promise broken" as such, but then I suppose as someone who would wish another referendum at some point you could perhaps understand why I feel that way.

As Nicola Sturgeon has said repeatedly, the people of Scotland will decide when the next referendum takes place, nobody else. The SNP will not have a commitment to a referendum in their manifesto for 2016 but may state that a vote by the rUK to leave the EU when Scotland voted not to, could trigger one. Barring that, there will be another referendum when polls are consistently showing a lead for YES. 

Recent poll show support for independence has fallen to 43%.

Sturgeon won't ask for another referendum until polls show support for independence over a period of time.

Recent poll show support for independence has fallen to 43%.

Sturgeon won't ask for another referendum until polls show support for independence over a period of time.

Not sure about the 1st line

Correct on the 2nd and nothing wrong with that

TheMaganator

Quite possibly, which makes 2016 election results all the more interesting.

Again, I don't disagree that this Government (or any government) should held to account for their record, just as opposition parties will be for theirs, whether they voted or abstained...

Not sure regarding the bare faced lying over another referendum, I assume you mean the "once in a lifetime" comments. Things change and times change so would be churlish to hold that up as "a promise broken" as such, but then I suppose as someone who would wish another referendum at some point you could perhaps understand why I feel that way.

But a vote for the SNP isn't a vote for independence, of course.

The SNP said that it was a once in a generation referendum.

Anyway - bring it on. They'd lose a vote tomorrow and anytime soon. Their 100k new members may force them into it and to hold a referendum that they'll definitely lose :jj:

But a vote for the SNP isn't a vote for independence, of course.

The SNP said that it was a once in a generation referendum.

Anyway - bring it on. They'd lose a vote tomorrow and anytime soon. Their 100k new members may force them into it and to hold a referendum that they'll definitely lose :jj:

Well quite! It does somewhat highlight a kind of schizophrenic electorate though, IMO.

jack D and coke
deesidejambo

Well quite! It does somewhat highlight a kind of schizophrenic electorate though, IMO.

Its not the electorate thats schizo - its the SNP party.     They are now hopelessly caught between either representing Independence or representing Scotland at Westminster.  The two are not complimentary.    At least Sinn fein hold to their principles and do not work with Westminster.  

The more the SNP demonstrate influence in Westminster, the less they will be able to persuade people that independence is the solution.  Why would people want to vote for Inedpendence if they recognise their voice being heard in Westminster, thanks to the SNP!  Cheers Nicola!!

coconut doug

Its not the electorate thats schizo - its the SNP party.     They are now hopelessly caught between either representing Independence or representing Scotland at Westminster.  The two are not complimentary.    At least Sinn fein hold to their principles and do not work with Westminster.  

The more the SNP demonstrate influence in Westminster, the less they will be able to persuade people that independence is the solution.  Why would people want to vote for Inedpendence if they recognise their voice being heard in Westminster, thanks to the SNP!  Cheers Nicola!!

We can only aspire to the lofty principles of Sinn Fein.  Maybe one day we can reach their standards by not attending or be like Labour and abstain when we do.

deesidejambo

We can only aspire to the lofty principles of Sinn Fein.  Maybe one day we can reach their standards by not attending or be like Labour and abstain when we do.

Well the SNP need to make their minds up - do they want full Independence or do they want the represent Scotland as part of the UK?   I am happy to vote for SNP for Westminster elections if they do a good job for the country as a whole, but I will never vote for Independence.    I suspect there are many others like me, so the SNP are caught in this voter dichotomy.

coconut doug

Well the SNP need to make their minds up - do they want full Independence or do they want the represent Scotland as part of the UK?   I am happy to vote for SNP for Westminster elections if they do a good job for the country as a whole, but I will never vote for Independence.    I suspect there are many others like me, so the SNP are caught in this voter dichotomy.

There's no confusion here. The SNP want independence and until that happens they want to play a responsible part in a progressive u. k. government. These are not mutually exclusive positions. Many people in Scotland vote SNP in Scottish elections but don't support independence. They have their reasons e.g. they think the SNP govern more effectively than the others.

Sturgeon knows their is no chance of scotland voting for independence in the near future. A heavier defeat would undo a lot of progress snp have made recently. Most people have seen through salmonds lies and I don't think their is a hunger from the majority of people to join the euro making trade with ruk more difficult.with oil income all but wiped out for the foreseeable future people know Indy would leave scotland a much poorer country. Rising taxes and cuts to pensions and services would have people voting with their feet. Even ffa has been quietly kicked into the long grass. Don't think sturgeon would be overpleased with salmond ranting again!

coconut doug

Sturgeon knows their is no chance of scotland voting for independence in the near future. A heavier defeat would undo a lot of progress snp have made recently. Most people have seen through salmonds lies and I don't think their is a hunger from the majority of people to join the euro making trade with ruk more difficult.with oil income all but wiped out for the foreseeable future people know Indy would leave scotland a much poorer country. Rising taxes and cuts to pensions and services would have people voting with their feet. Even ffa has been quietly kicked into the long grass. Don't think sturgeon would be overpleased with salmond ranting again!

What are Salmond's lies? Who is suggesting joining the Euro? Why would pensions have to be cut? Has the support for independence fallen or is the trend still towards Yes? Are services not being cut now?  Do you believe the current government's policies will make us more prosperous? 

Agree with the direction of this article, however to play the game under the 1997 Blair blueprint won't work in 2020. Labour needs to look at newer ways of delivering public services and how power is distributed in the UK to win back voters and get into government again.

As Daisley says Labour needs to find its heart and soul. And that doesn't mean some Bennite lurch left, historically Labour has never been that far to the left. The left ridicule Wilson and Attlee for things they done, but they also won. I'm not either arguing against Corbyn or his followers, hell I'm going to vote for him. My point is Labour win when they offer a realistic alternative and a message of hope. Labour lost in 2015 because it offered too few differences. In 2010 it was tiredness and defeatism. It needs to be positive and bold. Blair was. Attlee was. Wilson was. The three big Labour winners.

The only way they stand a chance in 2020 is by backing Corbyn or Kendall as they offer a difference of direction and are bold in their views, but they present their message in a direct and positive manner. Cooper and Burnham don't.

As Daisley says though in the article 1185 posted, the legacy of Blair is more extensive and wide spread than Iraq. That is his Suez. He won't be remembered for anything else. Which is probably fair. But in the long run there was a lot more good when you take into account his domestic agenda and the successes of his governments.

As said by others, the Tories moved left because of him. The SNP defend every aspect of the Blair welfare state and the Blair constitutional agenda. He restored the UK's reputation in Europe after disastrous relations under Major. Made a stand in Kosovo for all the right reasons. He shaped modern Britain. The left, on all fronts, now defends his governments welfare reforms, his governments constitutional reforms and his governments strides in equalities and poverty reduction legislation.

I'm no fan of the jet setting, money making, speech giving, former statesman, but to say all Blair did was bad or can be classed as bad on the back of his time in office is a bit of a lazy argument.

This goes back to my point above, Labour can't win in 2020 with the manifesto of 1945 or 1997 or of 1983. It can only win when it develops policies which meet the needs of the times and is bold in doing so. The state can't do it all, but that should mean we force the economy to pay its way not just cut the state.

The lessons all parties and politicians can take from Blair are massive. Look at the success of the SNP who are Blair's Scottish heirs. A party which preaches and practices Blairism. Labour needs to be bold and confident. Two qualities Blair gave it. But it has to offer a distinctive and bold vision to make people want to believe they can make Britain better.

What are Salmond's lies? Who is suggesting joining the Euro? Why would pensions have to be cut? Has the support for independence fallen or is the trend still towards Yes? Are services not being cut now?  Do you believe the current government's policies will make us more prosperous?

salmond is forever lying and misleading scottish people,but I'll give you one pre Indy vote when he said he had taking legal advice about scotland being able to remain in eu.turned out he hadn't and spent ?20,000 taxpayers money on legal fees to cover it up.if scotland leaves ruk ,snp have made it clear they want to stay in eu. To rejoin eu,the rules state you must use the euro.services are being cut now ,but with an additional ?8_9b shortfall annually they would need to be slashed or raise taxes.snp have refused to say which. Countries like Eire which fell into economic problems recently cut pensions for high earning civil servants by10%

ToadKiller Dog

I hear Andy Burnham is to give a speech today slightly moving himself to the left away from the other two Bliarite candidates .

Easy for him as he is the candidate with least principles but knowing which way the wind blows is a political assist I suppose .

Never. Says it all.

I hear Andy Burnham is to give a speech today slightly moving himself to the left away from the other two Bliarite candidates .

Easy for him as he is the candidate with least principles but knowing which way the wind blows is a political assist I suppose .

Burnham is a shameless opportunist with no basic principles to hold on to, so this is hardly a surprise. But its hideously transparent and i doubt it will work.

Burnham has totally failed in the leadership election but he is very committed to certain issues - health, social care, pensioner issues and his work in and around the Hillsborough campaign and on issues of fairness for football fans has been pretty exemplary.

I wouldn't go as far to say a man lacking principles. But he's clearly not got a long terms plan from this leadership election.

As Nicola Sturgeon has said repeatedly, the people of Scotland will decide when the next referendum takes place , nobody else. The SNP will not have a commitment to a referendum in their manifesto for 2016 but may state that a vote by the rUK to leave the EU when Scotland voted not to, could trigger one. Barring that, there will be another referendum when polls are consistently showing a lead for YES.

This is all very chicken and egg. The people of Scotland have no means of forcing a referendum other than by voting for a party offering it. That party is the SNP. So, if the SNP want to offer the people that in a manifesto they can, and if people vote for the SNP then a referendum is sure to follow.

The SNP could put specific conditions on it. But at the end of the day they won't. They will leave the door open to defining what constitutes material circumstances and that's their right to do so.

What would be interesting is of Scotland voted No to the EU and England didn't, so we stayed in the EU against our will. Is that a material change also? Despite the pro-membership SNP position?

The best bet for the SNP is independence in the EU with the rUK in the EU as well. I imagine currency union on the pound and a free economic zone in the British Isles with a nation outwith the EU is hard to square. I mean a central bank setting economic policy for a nation which is based outwith the EU would be mental.

This is all very chicken and egg. The people of Scotland have no means of forcing a referendum other than by voting for a party offering it. That party is the SNP. So, if the SNP want to offer the people that in a manifesto they can, and if people vote for the SNP then a referendum is sure to follow.

The SNP could put specific conditions on it. But at the end of the day they won't. They will leave the door open to defining what constitutes material circumstances and that's their right to do so.

What would be interesting is of Scotland voted No to the EU and England didn't, so we stayed in the EU against our will. Is that a material change also? Despite the pro-membership SNP position?

The best bet for the SNP is independence in the EU with the rUK in the EU as well. I imagine currency union on the pound and a free economic zone in the British Isles with a nation outwith the EU is hard to square. I mean a central bank setting economic policy for a nation which is based outwith the EU would be mental.

I suspect that come the next referendum, currency union will not be an issue and the option for a Scottish Pound (or Dollar or whatever) will be on the table.

That's what done for the last campaign and the Greek experience unfolding means currency unions aren't really going to be a vote winner.

IMO, of course.

This goes back to my point above, Labour can't win in 2020 with the manifesto of 1945 or 1997 or of 1983. It can only win when it develops policies which meet the needs of the times and is bold in doing so. The state can't do it all, but that should mean we force the economy to pay its way not just cut the state.

A bit like what Corbyn is advocating?

They meet the need of the times and are certainly bold...

Geoff Kilpatrick

I suspect that come the next referendum, currency union will not be an issue and the option for a Scottish Pound (or Dollar or whatever) will be on the table.

That's what done for the last campaign and the Greek experience unfolding means currency unions aren't really going to be a vote winner.

IMO, of course.

:spoton:

Hopefully the "scaremongering" over currency unions is dead. An independent Scotland needs an independent currency.

jambos are go!

:spoton:

Hopefully the "scaremongering" over currency unions is dead. An independent Scotland needs an independent currency.

indeed. And an independent currency will not be a vote winner in any Referendum.IMO.

very hard to understand when you don't type in English but I think I disagree with every point you have made in here.

IMO, of course.

Agree, next time we should state we will have our own Scottish pound, initially tied to the sterling rate. 

TheMaganator

Good luck selling a new Scottish currency to soft Yes supporters and undecideds :lol:

'Ken that ?200k mortgage you took out in Sterling? You'll be paying it back in Salmond pounds for the next 25 years'

Good luck selling a new Scottish currency to soft Yes supporters and undecideds :lol:

'Ken that ?200k mortgage you took out in Sterling? You'll be paying it back in Salmond pounds for the next 25 years'

Weve always had our own money. Nothing stopping us keeping our own Pound. Edited by aussieh

coconut doug

salmond is forever lying and misleading scottish people,but I'll give you one pre Indy vote when he said he had taking legal advice about scotland being able to remain in eu.turned out he hadn't and spent ?20,000 taxpayers money on legal fees to cover it up.if scotland leaves ruk ,snp have made it clear they want to stay in eu. To rejoin eu,the rules state you must use the euro.services are being cut now ,but with an additional ?8_9b shortfall annually they would need to be slashed or raise taxes.snp have refused to say which. Countries like Eire which fell into economic problems recently cut pensions for high earning civil servants by10%

No, Salmond is forever being accused of lying and has been referred six times for his alleged lying. He has of course not been found guilty of breaching the Ministerial Code. http://newsnet.scot/2012/10/labour-now-refusing-to-accept-fm-investigation-they-sought/          

If he were a proven liar he would not be anywhere near parliament. The fact that he is back there is testament to his skills as a politician and the ability of the public to see through all these personal attacks. Indeed Salmond is quoted as saying "the art of politics is not to lie" when commenting about Carmichael on This Week a few weeks ago.  

If it's liars you want try this http://wingsoverscotland.com/?s=liar The hatred for 'Wings' and the influence it carried in the referendum would have made the Rev a target for litigation but none happened. I wonder why. Conversely the Rev has won lawsuits against newspapers for telling lies about him. He too is often described as a liar on here yet there has been no proof of this posted.

On other matters     You are correct the SNP want to stay in the E.U. and if you do this you don't have to rejoin. There is no mechanism for leaving or for rejoining.

The rules do not state that you must use the Euro. Croatia does not and joined recently.

How does the rUK fare in comparison to Scotland? Figures do not factor in advantages that would accrue to Scotland and assumes a static oil price. In any case the U.K. debt is almost certainly unsustainable anyway, obviously that includes Scotland's part.

I've no problem with cutting pensions for the rich or taxing them higher but Scotland is in a proportionately better position on pensions than rUK not least because we die about 2 years earlier than rU.K. average 

Despite recent setbacks Eire remains a higher ranked country on HDI than the U.K.

Given that currency union and the confusion that it would cause was a reason soft yes & undecideds voted No the last time, why would they be agin a Scottish currency?

Despite recent setbacks Eire remains a higher ranked country on HDI than the U.K.

A Credit Suisse report on HDI from last year had Scotland on it's own ranked above the rUK and also the current UK (inc. Scotland).

http://newsnet.scot/2014/08/scotland-ahead-of-ruk-even-without-oil-says-credit-suisse-report/ 

Edited by Boris

Going to be a fascinating year ahead.  With Cameron ruling out any chance of another referendum in the Parliament and the early move of Smith powers - the coming election will focus on the economic plans of the SNP which they will implement after they win the election.  Swinney is going to be forced to try to increase benefits and raise taxes for the 'rich' (of whom there are not so many in Scotland) - while driving economic growth to a level consistently higher than that of the rest of the UK (and perhaps doing this during a period of global cyclical downturn) in order to create an economic record capable of winning over independence-doubters.

As the Chinese may well have said to Sturgeon in the last couple of days - 'may you live in interesting times'.

Going to be a fascinating year ahead.  With Cameron ruling out any chance of another referendum in the Parliament and the early move of Smith powers - the coming election will focus on the economic plans of the SNP which they will implement after they win the election.  Swinney is going to be forced to try to increase benefits and raise taxes for the 'rich' (of whom there are not so many in Scotland) - while driving economic growth to a level consistently higher than that of the rest of the UK (and perhaps doing this during a period of global cyclical downturn) in order to create an economic record capable of winning over independence-doubters.

As the Chinese may well have said to Sturgeon in the last couple of days - 'may you live in interesting times'.

Maybe they will help out....although they do have their own economic problems to deal with.

TheMaganator

Given that currency union and the confusion that it would cause was a reason soft yes & undecideds voted No the last time, why would they be agin a Scottish currency?

There's a reason Salmond didn't go for our own pound in the first place - it would be a vote loser. 

'Nothing will change but everything will change' - which was the line peddled for the entirety of the campaign goes out the window when you are proposing a new currency. Our own currency would undoubtedly be the best option but try explaining to the man in the street who has just borrowed hundreds of thousand of pounds in Sterling from (what would become a foreign bank) that he has a debt in Sterling that will have to be repaid in Salmond pounds. No chance. 

Start talking away things that people have always known and are happy with (the money in their wallets) and people will be put off. 

In any event - support for independence is the same (or might actually be down to 43% iirc) so the SNP would undoubtedly lose another referendum held anytime soon. They would be mad to call one unless they are consistently polling 60%+.

Fortunately their 100k members are just that, mad, and may well force them into it for their next manifesto. Delicious. 

There's a reason Salmond didn't go for our own pound in the first place - it would be a vote loser. 

'Nothing will change but everything will change' - which was the line peddled for the entirety of the campaign goes out the window when you are proposing a new currency. Our own currency would undoubtedly be the best option but try explaining to the man in the street who has just borrowed hundreds of thousand of pounds in Sterling from (what would become a foreign bank) that he has a debt in Sterling that will have to be repaid in Salmond pounds. No chance. 

Start talking away things that people have always known and are happy with (the money in their wallets) and people will be put off. 

In any event - support for independence is the same (or might actually be down to 43% iirc) so the SNP would undoubtedly lose another referendum held anytime soon. They would be mad to call one unless they are consistently polling 60%+.

Fortunately their 100k members are just that, mad, and may well force them into it for their next manifesto. Delicious. 

I'm not so sure.  

Fort Vallance

If the next referendum results in another no vote will we just keep having one every year until the separatists get what they want ? 

If the next referendum results in another no vote will we just keep having one every year until the separatists get what they want ? 

If the Scottish electorate keep voting for the separatists in huge numbers at Westminster and Holyrood elections then I suppose there is every chance.

Claiming that independence is the will of the Scottish people in the event of a Yes having just repeated and repeated until they scraped over the line is hardly decisive. We had a vote, the people of Scotland gave an answer and we should all move on. To paraphrase the usual rhetoric, SNP clearly think the 55% were "too old, too gullible, too stupid" and that we all believed lies from WM/BBC/Media. 

If the Scottish electorate keep voting for the separatists in huge numbers at Westminster and Holyrood elections then I suppose there is every chance.

What will be interesting is how many of the votes from SNP vanish when that is on their manifesto. Many people chose SNP as they said it wasn't about independence and they felt they would have a stronger voice at WM. FPTP will ensure SNP win again as the rest of the votes are diluted among the other parties but I certainly don't expect SNP to get 50% of the votes next time round.