Tough month ahead

Finlay James

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A_A wehatethehibs

The tough spell is longer than a month, we are away from home in 5 of our next 7 fixtures before Cowdenbeath at Tynecastle on Feb 28th.

However that Celtic vs Rangers game will be looming larger by the week now... at the back of their minds they will be starting to feel real fear of that game, hopefully that fear leads to more dropped points and chances for us to extend the lead.

Francis Albert

If playing teams 29, 13, 21 and 38 points below us is a tough month I just wish we had had in the past and have in the future many more such tough months.

Teuchterjambo

If playing teams 29, 13, 21 and 38 points below us is a tough month I just wish we had had in the past and have in the future many more such tough months.

Given the cumulative effect of a general shading of form recently , continuing lack of options up front allowing opposition to stifle our game more effectvely and the number of the games that are away from home then it certainly is a tough month   ....... there will be battles to be won just hope we can win them but even then it will not be easy.

The Apprentice

Although a draw at Ibrox would be a good result, I really hope we go there and take the game to them. Rangers are really on the ropes at the moment and we saw a couple of weeks ago what happens when you get stuck into them.

That being said, let's take care of Dumbarton first!

Francis Albert

I can't imagine that the fans of Celtic or Rangers (Mark 1 or 2) or even Aberdeen or Hibs if sitting in our position in any league would  be fretting about a "tough month". We should be brimming with confidence about all four games.

Finlay James

I can't imagine that the fans of Celtic or Rangers (Mark 1 or 2) or even Aberdeen or Hibs if sitting in our position in any league would  be fretting about a "tough month". We should be brimming with confidence about all four games.

It will be a tough month, not saying we won't relish the challenge or be fearful and I see us collecting 12 points but it will not be easy

We have nothing to fear except fear itself

The mindset of the fans is taking a while to change and there is still this fear at the back of some fan's minds that this will all collapse and come to an end....any slight dip in for simply increases those fears for some.

Time to show a bit of confidence in the team and the management.

The mindset of the fans is taking a while to change and there is still this fear at the back of some fan's minds that this will all collapse and come to an end....any slight dip in for simply increases those fears for some.

I have every confidence in the fighting quality of the team and quality of the management however, the fact remains that we are at this time critically short of striking options.

The team has had to fight tooth and nail to win (and draw) games in the absence of Sow and Carrick, and the fear is that this will catch us out as we are totally reliant on Keatings.

Once we get Sow and Carrick back in and fit I have no worries whatsoever, however in the meantime I do fear we will drop vital points in January.

Dalstonjambo

I think given what happened in 86 means anyone from the age of 35+ who supports the club will be wary of a collapse, and football fans on the whole are pessimistic anyway.

But I agree, the players will not be allowed to get ahead of themselves, and as fans I think we need to just relax (easier said than done) and have confidence and patience. 

However having said all this, i'll still be a nervous wreck every saturday (or friday/sundaytuesday or whenever else we are playing) between now and it being over. 

Right now every game is a tough one, with our striking options just now we have to fight for every point and lets not forget that what should have been a so called easy game against Livi was tough cos of one missed chance and a missed penalty, that very nearly came back to bite us on the erse. Just cos Sevco or Hibs have beaten lower positioned teams easily doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same for us.

Remember that we are the league leaders everyone wants to beat us, they all want to be the first to end out unbeaten run and will try that much harder to be the ones to do so. We must lift our game that bit higher every game that we now play. In a strange sort of way our unbeaten run is like a millstone round our necks and is making each game harder. Let's just concentrate and remain focused ONLY on the NEXT game not when we play Sevco or that we have a run away games coming up, away games in my opinion are actually a wee easier cos most teams will come out and attack us leaving space for quick counter attacks and we certainly have enough fast guys to exploit this.

Dalstonjambo

Right now every game is a tough one, with our striking options just now we have to fight for every point and lets not forget that what should have been a so called easy game against Livi was tough cos of one missed chance and a missed penalty, that very nearly came back to bite us on the erse. Just cos Sevco or Hibs have beaten lower positioned teams easily doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same for us.

Remember that we are the league leaders everyone wants to beat us, they all want to be the first to end out unbeaten run and will try that much harder to be the ones to do so. We must lift our game that bit higher every game that we now play. In a strange sort of way our unbeaten run is like a millstone round our necks and is making each game harder. Let's just concentrate and remain focused ONLY on the NEXT game not when we play Sevco or that we have a run away games coming up, away games in my opinion are actually a wee easier cos most teams will come out and attack us leaving space for quick counter attacks and we certainly have enough fast guys to exploit this.

I would argue  on the whole we've beaten these teams far more easily than either of those 2 have. Strange comment to make

Francis Albert

"It's a tough month" brings back bad memories of  Rix, with the most expensive and one of the best Hearts squads ever assembled, and his mantra about just about every away game of "it's a tough place to go".

Francis Albert

Livingston wasn't a tough game. We made it tough by not playing very well and missing a penalty. The incentive of beating an unbeaten team should IMO be far outweighed by the confidence of a team that is unbeaten. Otherwise you are in Fenlon country where losing games puts the pressure on the side that doesn't lose.

Teuchterjambo

"It's a tough month" brings back bad memories of  Rix, with the most expensive and one of the best Hearts squads ever assembled, and his mantra about just about every away game of "it's a tough place to go".

Putting aside the other issues on Rix I had some sympathy for his predicament. He was subjected I think to the most horrendous interference from Vlad , more than many of the others  ... you do remember the shambles at the Dundee Utd game at Tannadice. Rix was a desperate man looking for a job and was brought in as a puppet and his situation was used to make him roll over as required.

BRAVEHEART1874

Aye it's tough at the top :) we will see how skinto sevco deal with the pressure and hibs without malonga ;)

Francis Albert

Putting aside the other issues on Rix I had some sympathy for his predicament. He was subjected I think to the most horrendous interference from Vlad , more than many of the others  ... you do remember the shambles at the Dundee Utd game at Tannadice. Rix was a desperate man looking for a job and was brought in as a puppet and his situation was used to make him roll over as required.

Yes, like all Vlad's managers it was not a role to be envied. Having said that he was being paid a lot of money to motivate the team and the "it's a tough place to go" mantra was IMO opinion the wrong message and I doubt were words put in Rix's mouth by Vlad.

Dumbarton 0-1 HMFC

the rangers 1-2 HMFC

HMFC 3-0 Falkirk

Alloa 0-2 HMFC

12 points going into February, then the months get easier as less points will be needed.

Livingston wasn't a tough game. We made it tough by not playing very well and missing a penalty. The incentive of beating an unbeaten team should IMO be far outweighed by the confidence of a team that is unbeaten. Otherwise you are in Fenlon country where losing games puts the pressure on the side that doesn't lose.

On paper the Livy game was not a tough game - but it turned out to be one. Just like the game on Saturday on paper should not be tough - but until we get Sow and Carrick (or a new striker) it WILL be!

Yes, like all Vlad's managers it was not a role to be envied. Having said that he was being paid a lot of money to motivate the team and the "it's a tough place to go" mantra was IMO opinion the wrong message and I doubt were words put in Rix's mouth by Vlad.

Correct me if I am wrong but has Robbie not said as much before every away game this season?

We_are_the_Hearts

On paper the Livy game was not a tough game - but it turned out to be one. Just like the game on Saturday on paper should not be tough - but until we get Sow and Carrick (or a new striker) it WILL be!

Not necessarily, we beat Raith 4-0 and QotS 4-1 without either of them.................

Not necessarily, we beat Raith 4-0 and QotS 4-1 without either of them.................

Believe me I hope you are right!

Francis Albert

there are goal scorers in every outfield position. Whether an easy game on paper turns out to be tough one will depend far more onthe level of our performance than on the absrnce of sow and carrick. The par for the next 4 games is 4 wins and something like an aggregate 10 goal margin. I'll be disappointed with amything less.

there are goal scorers in every outfield position. Whether an easy game on paper turns out to be tough one will depend far more onthe level of our performance than on the absrnce of sow and carrick. The par for the next 4 games is 4 wins and something like an aggregate 10 goal margin. I'll be disappointed with amything less.

Francis Albert

Correct me if I am wrong but has Robbie not said as much before every away game this season?

robbie is being polite

For rix it was an article of faith and an advance excuse.

Really hope your high expectations are met FA.

robbie is being polite

For rix it was an article of faith and an advance excuse.

Robbie has said all along that it inevitable that we will lose a game sometime - is that an advance excuse?

Francis Albert

Robbie has said all along that it inevitable that we will lose a game sometime - is that an advance excuse?

this season or ever?

this season or ever?

As you are fully aware FA - he was referring to this season.

Francis Albert

As you are fully aware FA - he was referring to this season.

no doubt but i'd like to credit robbie with deliberately allowing a bit of ambiguity!

I would argue  on the whole we've beaten these teams far more easily than either of those 2 have. Strange comment to make

Just because we have beaten these teams already doesn't automatically mean that we are entitled to beat them again. As I have already said being at the top of the league, teams will now be out to raise their game even higher when they play us, they are aware of how we like to play and will be out to stop us playing. The second half of the season will be harder, we will now find out if the management are able to change tactics to suit these games, it is a learning curve for them.

no doubt but i'd like to credit robbie with deliberately allowing a bit of ambiguity!

Maybe....but was he making "an advance excuse"?

Just because we have beaten these teams already doesn't automatically mean that we are entitled to beat them again. As I have already said being at the top of the league, teams will now be out to raise their game even higher when they play us, they are aware of how we like to play and will be out to stop us playing. The second half of the season will be harder, we will now find out if the management are able to change tactics to suit these games, it is a learning curve for them.

They certainly know if you stop Gomis playing you take a big part of our game away, also if Saturdays game showed us anything if team pressurise the defence when our keepers got the ball it kind of throws us as well, there's two things I would think any manger worth their salt would have picked up on now we need Robbie to counter balance that.

Dalstonjambo

Which I wasn't disputing.

If you read what i quoted from your post.

'Just cos Sevco or Hibs have beaten lower positioned teams easily doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same for us.'

My point was more it was a weird reference point when those 2 have struggled to beat a lot of these teams whilst on the whole we have hammered all of them at least once and beaten them all (apart from dumbarton draw) everytime averaging over 2 goals a game. You were implying we hadn't beaten those teams comfortably when we have, and also implying Hibs and Sevco had performed better which also isn't true.

Which I wasn't disputing.

If you read what i quoted from your post.

'Just cos Sevco or Hibs have beaten lower positioned teams easily doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same for us.'

My point was more it was a weird reference point when those 2 have struggled to beat a lot of these teams whilst on the whole we have hammered all of them at least once and beaten them all (apart from dumbarton draw) everytime averaging over 2 goals a game. You were implying we hadn't beaten those teams comfortably when we have, and also implying Hibs and Sevco had performed better which also isn't true.

What I was implying was that we should not be reading too much into their results or for that matter our previous results against these teams, we cannot take it for granted that all we have to do is turn up. We play the team that's in front of us and not be complacent that the lower league teams will be pushovers.

Francis Albert

Maybe....but was he making "an advance excuse"?

No just stating that the odds are we will lose a game this season and/or the certainty we would lose one day. To compare Robbie with the harbinger of doom that was Rix is a bit off the mark IMO.

If we get a draw at castle grekskull I think we should be OK.

But please Robbie get at them show no respect ....

The Treasurer

Dumbarton are the only team to stop us scoring in the league.

The pitch will be heavy due to the rain forecast.

It's going to be very windy.

Murray will send his team out to kick lumps out of us (like last time).

Anyone who thinks this won't be a tough game needs their head looked at.

Saying a game will be tough is not showing a defeatist attitude, it's being realistic and ensuring the players are up for the challenge and not thinking they just need to turn up "because they are x number of points ahead of the opposition"

We_are_the_Hearts

Dumbarton are the only team to stop us scoring in the league.

The pitch will be heavy due to the rain forecast.

It's going to be very windy.

Murray will send his team out to kick lumps out of us (like last time).

Anyone who thinks this won't be a tough game needs their head looked at.

Saying a game will be tough is not showing a defeatist attitude, it's being realistic and ensuring the players are up for the challenge and not thinking they just need to turn up "because they are x number of points ahead of the opposition"

It's all about the early goal in these games, Hobos scored 6 there and Rangers won 3-0 so we just need to go and start like we did against Cowdenbeath and Livi and look to get the early goal...................

My only worry about the Dumbarton game is Keating getting isolated up top on his own.

I'd like to see Patterson play in the right midfield with McGhee in at right back, with a heavy pitch I can see lots of high balls being played out from the back on Saturday.

My only worry about the Dumbarton game is Keating getting isolated up top on his own.

I'd like to see Patterson play in the right midfield with McGhee in at right back, with a heavy pitch I can see lots of high balls being played out from the back on Saturday.

Nailed it mate!

No just stating that the odds are we will lose a game this season and/or the certainty we would lose one day. To compare Robbie with the harbinger of doom that was Rix is a bit off the mark IMO.

I would never accuse Robbie of being the "harbringer of doom" - how could I when that is your role on here Franny!   ;)

Francis Albert

I hope not. Why play into the oppositions hands? (assuming you meant from our back?)

Francis Albert

I would never accuse Robbie of being the "harbringer of doom" - how could I when that is your role on here Franny!   ;)

On some topics I can understand that accusation (however unfair!). But on this one I seem to be on the wildly optimistic fringe.

I hope not. Why play into the oppositions hands? (assuming you meant from our back?)

I agree we do not want to resort to lumping up high balls, however I do think we need the physical presence of Paterson playing closer to Keatings on Saturday.

On some topics I can understand that accusation (however unfair!). But on this one I seem to be on the wildly optimistic fringe.

After being on the Hearts roller coaster for over 30 years, compared to me everybody is "wildly optimistic"     ;)

I'd like to think we'd be penning Dumbarton in their own half this weekend so space will be the issue not isolation.

Francis Albert

I'd like to think we'd be penning Dumbarton in their own half this weekend so space will be the issue not isolation.

I hope so. None of this conceding possession in areas of the pitch so we can hit them on the break stuff please. It may be simplistic but I always think you have more chance of scoring and less of conceding if you play in the opposition half as much as possible.

I hope you right

Have people seen the rain thats falling, and its to go on and on.  Fair chance of a  pitch inspection guys. 

Teuchterjambo

Have people seen the rain thats falling, and its to go on and on.  Fair chance of a  pitch inspection guys. 

I wouldn't be too disappointed if this one falls foul of the weather ... another week to get players ready and hopefully a full squad fro the rearranged game.

Archived