Rome

Acey

Off to Rome (via Manchester and London) on Sunday; any advice on what to do/see/eat, KB?

:)

The answer to all three: the women.

:D

The People's Chimp
The answer to all three: the women.

:D

I'd agree. I was over there for the 6 nations and strangely enough staying away from the egg chasing crowd meant rather pleasing results. :)

As for what to do, well don't get lost and stoat around the back streets 1 hour away from where you are staying and then try and get into a walled compound, which through your drunken haze, you think may or may not have had something to do with the vatican. If lost, however, do try and bump into Irish dignitaries from the UN who will take pity on you and give you a taxi ride back to town before leaving you quite jealous over the bond girl wife you just shared the back seat with.

Tip for the Collosseum - don't wait in the big queue for tickets.

Wander over to the little ticket office at the Palatine Hill and get a combined ticket for the Collosseum, Palatine Hill and Forum - and skive the big queue at the Collosseum.

I liked the Obolisks all over Rome (Asterix fan), and particularly the Piazza della Minerva cute little elephant statue (which supports an obolisk).

If you like sculpture (such as the Three Graces in the art gallery on the Mound); would recommend a trip to the park which has the Gallery of Modern Art - fantastic Canova sculptures there.

The Sistine Chapel is obviously worth a look - as is St Peter's where you can find the tomb of Bonnie Prince Charlie.

The Pantheon is amazing.

As for food, the ice cream is great in Rome. And I love the 'standup in a cafe' breakfast of espresso and a pastry. And the girls:dribble:

ArmiyaRomanova

I echo much of the above... the Collosseum and the Pantheon in particular.

Nobody's mention the various catacombs yet. Rome's not the only place to have 'em, but they're certainly more impressive there than anywhere else I've been (with the possible exception of Paris).

Also the underground Temple of Mithra - one of the few remnants of a religion that rivaled Christianity in Rome from the 1st-4th century AD. As ever, the latter adopted much of the former's tenets in order to usurp it.

And don't forget to eat in some 'traditional' pizza restaurants - they're better here than elsewhere in Italy, I think. Anywhere with a queue around 8-ish is a good bet.

Stuart Lyon

Piazza del Popolo and the nearby Spanish Steps (better at night). In the street between the Steps and Popolo there are shops and restaurants with more restaurants down the side streets. The Trevi Fountain; but watch out for all the street vendors. I thought the Forum was awesome and you certainly do get a sense of history there. I thought the Sistine Chapel OK but the whole Vatican thing is too busy. I climbed to the top of the Vatican (nearly killing myself in the process) but it was worth it for the view you get. I agree the Pantheon is mighty impressive and when we were there a couple of years ago they were busy renovating it so it must be better now. Crazy building with a deliberate hole in the ceiling.

Denny Crane

Just be mindful of the thieving waiters and taxi drivers (the latter are just as bad as the ones in Prague). In one restaurant, in between mouthfuls this slimy git kept coming up to my table and saying: "Remember-da-teeeep-eeeza-da-separate-from-a-de-billl". Would have loved to have seen his face when I left the exact change. Antoher establishment charged me for bread which I never even ordered or ate.

Sights and women are superb eye candy. Mussolini's old palace is a stunning sight. Vatican is a must. See if you can do a day-trip to Pompeii. Naples is only two hours away by train.

Off to Rome (via Manchester and London) on Sunday; any advice on what to do/see/eat, KB?

:)

I enjoyed Rome much more than I thought I would although there's obviously one place in particular that I avoided. ;)

Not sure it's the right season, but if you see any restaurants with wild strawberries on the menu, give them a go. They're like nothing you've ever tasted. :P

I hope this helps. ;)

Pantheon, Colloseum,Spanish Steps and Diocletians Baths are well worth a visit..Cistene Chapel's a big disappointment;not really worth the queues...St.Peters Square's good but usually heaving.

Don't think of driving , be prepared to get ripped-off, take loads of money - and keep your eye on it.

The Vatican is worth seeing - you can also climb right up to the top where the views of the city are superb.

I always think it has a similarity to Edinburgh in that all the things you would want to see are within walking distance. Spanish Steps to the Trevi fountain to the Pantheon to the Forum and the Colosseum - all easy to walk. The Forum is incredible. To think that you can actually walk where Julius Caesar walked over 2,000 years ago is something else.

For eating, ask your hotel reception to book you into somewhere local - ie where the Romans go. They won't speak any English, but the food will be superb.

And spend some time sitting in a cafe in one of the big piazzas and just watch the world go by. Rome really is the Eternal City.

Enjoy.

Cistine chapel was pretty disappointing for me. Of all the tourist sights i've seen, St Paul's is definitely one of the most impressive. When I was there, there was a guy who did a very informative unofficial tour for free, sort of to advertise a tour he did in the city which you had to pay for but you can do the church tour for free without going on the other one. If you like coffee, go to the house all the guide books refer to (can't remember the name - near the Pantheon) - it's amazing.

yvonnejambo

I love Rome, many many great memories :P;) (yeah the guys are just as hot as you are claiming the woman are). Lots of great p0laces to visit at night but things like sitting on the Spanish steps or in Piazza Navona.http://www.romanhomes.com/your_roman_vacation/quarters/navona-quarter.htm

Rome to me as some kind of feel about it that you cant sum up in words but it does have some magical feel to it. I worked in various places over Italy but Rome still stands out.

Also agree with keeping a good eye on your wallet and always find out a taxi fares price before getting in the cab def biggest con men Ive met!

I think I must have a look at booking a few days over there now

The Coliseum will be incredibly busy. Skip the queues as previously suggested by buying a joint ticket or pay the extra and go with a guided tour which uses a different entrance.

The Forum was the high point for me and amazing to imagine as the focal point of a busy thriving ancient city. The best thing to do is to take your time and walk - most of the interesting places (apart from the Vatican which I kinda forgot to visit) are fairly central.

The tips about keeping an eye on your wallet shouldn't be ignored.....

The Real Maroonblood

If you go to "The Vatican" avoid the bar because the lounge is more pleasant.

:):):):)

The place is amazing. There is so much to see that I hope you are there for more than a couple of days. The earlier posts mentioned the queues to visit the Vatican City. When I first saw the length of the queues I thought it would take hours to get in. The queue travelled really quickly and it was less than 30 minutes before we got in. It was well worth the wait. The whole place was stunning and we all really enjoyed it. Then did St Peter's - what a view from the top but i couldn't believe the graffiti at the top. Just to stop going on, there are so many places that have already been posted that are worth seeing that I would need a second page to mention them all.

HOWEVER be careful on the underground. My mate got dipped by kids. They were on the train playing musical instruments while their mates quietly went round the passengers pick-pocketing. Luckily they only got his tube tickets from his front pockets- he felt nothing at all.

Overall a brilliant city to visit and while I remember the 2nd airport(not Leonardo's) is damn close to the city).

JP 2 died while we were there:sad: but we gubbed celtic that weekend:) The City was very subdued that night but seemed to accept the inevitable

Archived