transferring large files

superjack

wonder if someone can help me. I've got a couple of movies I want to transfer to my external hard drive, both about 6.5Gb, but when I try to move them to the hard drive, I get the same message everytime, that the file size is too large.

is there something stupid I am missing?

Blackcurrent Jambo

Possibly your hdd is fat 32 ?? need to format it from that to ntfs for it to recognise files above 4gb ?

Possibly your hdd is fat 32 ?? need to format it from that to ntfs for it to recognise files above 4gb ?

aye/ your right, fat 32. how do I go about formatting to ntfs, is this easy?

Right click on drive and click format. Can do quick format in ntfs. Make sure you have everything off it you want as you will lose it all. Assuming you are on windows

Right click on drive and click format. Can do quick format in ntfs. Make sure you have everything off it you want as you will lose it all. Assuming you are on windows

Cheers for the help.

the stone rose

If you format it like that, can you still put the stuff you originally had on it, back on? or will these now be the wrong format? (had similar issues with a couple of files)

John Gentleman

If you format it like that, can you still put the stuff you originally had on it, back on? or will these now be the wrong format? (had similar issues with a couple of files)

Shouldn't be a problem. Files themselves have no inherent formatting properties.

What you've experienced raises an interesting issue.............many of the external USB hard drives on sale (1TB/2TB/whatever) come pre-formatted in FAT32 ? individual file size limit, 4GB. I've no idea why; FAT32 went the way of the dodo with Windows 98!

ps. Found the (apparent) answer:

http://www.howtogeek.com/177529/htg-explains-why-are-removable-drives-still-using-fat32-instead-of-ntfs/

Archived