Police officer murdered off duty

EH11_2NL

Another officer murdered by lowlife sh!t. Yeah, attack in a group whilst someone is off duty and their guard is down having a few pints with their pals. Scum, Pure and simple. RIP mate.

What actually happened? Did the attackers know the guy was an off duty cop?

That's the line of enquiry they are following based on the evidence from the other two officers.

Pretty sure that Theresa May has said last year, that killing a PC will constitute a whole life sentence in the future.

Why in earth should that be the case, are their lives worth more than you or I?

the added element of deterrent is an acknowledgement of the role rather than individual worth.

Gives more protection to police officers who put their lives on the line.

Gives more protection to police officers who put their lives on the line.

Should people murdering builders be sentenced more harshly? I'd imagine they have a higher fatality rate at work that police officers.

Murder is murder and the victims line of work shouldn't come into question when sentencing? Is my life worth more than someone working in a safer job? No.

Should people murdering builders be sentenced more harshly? I'd imagine they have a higher fatality rate at work that police officers.

Murder is murder and the victims line of work shouldn't come into question when sentencing? Is my life worth more than someone working in a safer job? No.

Police have to put themselves in high-risk situations to apprehend criminals, protect the public and uphold the law. Builders don't.

I would suspect that because police officers have to on occasions make decisions that can be extremely life changing for some persons, and as a result can be seen as the cause of the persons misfortunes even although as happens often they were the master of their own demise.  I have told the story a number of times of an individual who I arrested for impared driving, stopping me in the street some time later and thanking me for the loss of his home, his wife and his driving licence required job. There were no concessions that his having been at a mistresses house, that he was drunk and despite being given a break and driving anyway, that I in his mind was the only one responsible for his problems.  He was extremely angry, and only after earnest counselling did he realise attempts at violence were not to his advantage.

only after earnest counselling did he realise attempts at violence were not to his advantage.

:bobby:  So you spoke to him in a language and manner that he was familiar with? :thumbsup:

Some sheltered views on this thread. Some don`t realise what sheight policemen go through day to day, week to week. 

We don`t hear about or know half the carp that goes on because not all is reported in papers.  (source, police friends) Although i can see the argument about equality of sentencing no matter who the crime has been made against,  if the law isn`t seen as having the strongest hand then everything breaks down.

Police can`t be seen as cannon fodder, they are on the frontline so to speak.  In the end these are people helping to protect our lives and the principles we live by in life. It might not seem logical but if the sentence for murdering Joe Bloggs was 100 years they`d still make it 150 years for a policeman. 

Some sheltered views on this thread. Some don`t realise what sheight policemen go through day to day, week to week. 

We don`t hear about or know half the carp that goes on because not all is reported in papers.  (source, police friends) Although i can see the argument about equality of sentencing no matter who the crime has been made against,  if the law isn`t seen as having the strongest hand then everything breaks down.

Police can`t be seen as cannon fodder, they are on the frontline so to speak.  In the end these are people helping to protect our lives and the principles we live by in life. It might not seem logical but if the sentence for murdering Joe Bloggs was 100 years they`d still make it 150 years for a policeman. 

Maybe people wouldn't give them so much 'sheight' if they were more accessible to the normal person and treated the same as everyone else. A lot of people have issues with the police because they perceive them as above the law, having different rules for them only serves to reinforce that.

Police men and woman bleed the same and feel the same as any of the rest of us, we should respect the work they do and see them as just another part of humanity/society. Placing them on a pedestal only serves to make some people want to shoot them down.

Out of interest, why do you imagine that more builders are murdered at work?

At least it explains why they never show up when they're supposed to.

AlphonseCapone

Was quite a ridiculous point I thought.

I don't. I said fatalities, in response to the poster saying police put their lives at risk. I'd be surprised, as I said, if there aren't more deaths of builders per year than police men.

If putting your life at risk at work is the criteria then my point is valid.

I don't. I said fatalities, in response to the poster saying police put their lives at risk. I'd be surprised, as I said, if there aren't more deaths of builders per year than police men.

If putting your life at risk at work is the criteria then my point is valid.

There's a massive difference between a work related accident and murder. Your point is shite!

There's a massive difference between a work related accident and murder. Your point is shite!

I'm quite aware of the difference.

I asked why police should be treated differently. A poster said because police put their lives on the line at work; that criteria suggests people risking their lives at work deserve different treatment if any of them are murdered.

Had he said the police risk physical assault or murder then, I would be able to see his point, although I don't necessarily agree.

I asked why police should be treated differently. A poster said because police put their lives on the line at work; that criteria suggests people risking their lives at work deserve different treatment if any of them are murdered.

Had he said the police risk physical assault or murder then, I would be able to see his point, although I don't necessarily agree.

Being pedantic then.

Being pedantic then.

Not really, I asked a question for people to justify their thoughts as I didn't agree with them and was given an answer.

In fact there is nothing new in punishment for offenses committed against police officers. Assaulting a police officer always carried a heavier penalty, obstructing a police officer in the course of his duty is another one. When abolition of capital punishment was on the go the sentence was only allowed if murder ,when accompanied by another offence, or if the victim was a police officer or prison guard when on duty. It does seem that the duties conducted by these two occupations have required legislation to ensure a reasonable degree of safety.

There will probably be figures available on the Health and Safety Executive website. From my time at a previous job, I seem to remember that farms had the highest fatalities: tractors, combines, crushings and people falling into grain silos. But this is a complete digression.

There's a huge and obvious difference between a job that entails environmental danger and one which involves potential danger originating from a third party armed with a gun, knife, etc.

As it is by far the main part of the police's duty to protect the public, I have no issue with arrangements. If people want to confuse a statutory arrangement as a comment on human rights, fair enough.

The police are hugely corrupt and most become police officer because of either wee man syndrome or they can't think of anything else they want to do so they see the cops and robbers dramas on TV and think "that looks fun".

Any murder is equally bad. Not moreso because the victim is a member of a misogynistic, racist, proven corrupt state organisation. 

The police are hugely corrupt and most become police officer because of either wee man syndrome or they can't think of anything else they want to do so they see the cops and robbers dramas on TV and think "that looks fun".

Any murder is equally bad. Not moreso because the victim is a member of a misogynistic, racist, proven corrupt state organisation. 

:troll:

:spoton:

Most people I've met that have the whole "**** the police" attitude tend to be absolute *****.

Funnily, most of the folk I've met who explicitly refer themselves as the "Broomhouse Young Team" tend to be fine upstanding gentlemen. :rofl:

Most people I've met that have the whole "**** the police" attitude tend to be absolute *****.

Not having faith and trust in the police force does not equate '**** the police'.

Absolutely spot on description, the TV thing is so true, it was watching Dixon of Dock Green that set me on my life career.

AlphonseCapone

Funnily, most of the folk I've met who explicitly refer themselves as the "Broomhouse Young Team" tend to be fine upstanding gentlemen. :rofl:

Interesting observation. I've never been near Broomhouse in my life so can't confirm.

Evidence to the contrary regarding my description of the police force is always welcome.

Most people called Scott troll on Internet forums because they are incredibly ugly....

If you think I'm wrong please state the factual source of evidence.

Most people called Scott troll on Internet forums because they are incredibly ugly....

If you think I'm wrong please state the factual source of evidence.

If you are asking me to provide recent evidence of misogyny,racism and corruption iin our police force, I could do that in...I dont know...3 seconds? you could look yourself but happy to do your donkey work for you.

Absolutely spot on description, the TV thing is so true, it was watching Dixon of Dock Green that set me on my life career.

"Mind how you go" Bob

AlphonseCapone

which young team is it then? :)

None of them unfortunately, I was never deemed 'mental' enough to be in one.

The second part of name is a reference to my actual name, although as you are the second person to make that mistake maybe I should change it.

Anyway, back on topic, ACAB etc etc.

Crown Court did it for me. Watching all those scummy pigs lying in court, slagging off the weemin folk and picking on the coloureds. It was a no-brainer after that really.

I think murder should carry a whole life sentence regardless of the victim. The Police obviously have to deal with violent and dangerous punters on a regular basis as well as those with mental health issues who, really through no fault of their own are also very dangerous.

Builders, certainly in my day didn't have these problems.

I know a few coppers. None of em are racists or, to my knowledge corrupt. I think labeling a whole organisation as racist, corrupt or whatever because of your dealing with some of it's employees is a bit daft. 

Can't say I've ever been dealt with unfairly by Edinburgh cops. I've had a couple of experiences with em and have to accept the blame for them having to deal with me.

Glasgow Polis on the other hand......

Dusk_Till_Dawn

:lol:

Turning detective here - Scotty, I'm guessing from your man-of-the-world act that you once went to university (probably in your home town). Reckon you've read the odd book about Che Guevara too.

Archived