Tommy Cooper

Tazio

I recorded the Parkinson interview with him a couple of days ago and have just started watching it. He's barely said anything yet and the audience and Parkinson are already in hysterics. 

A true one off comedian that could reduce an audience to uncontrollable laugher in seconds just by standing and looking confused. 

One of my favourites years ago as a kid and I still find him hilarious.

The Treasurer

Not only was he a great comedian but a fantastic magician as well.

I used to work with a guy who was a member of the magic circle and he told me that any conventions that he attended all the other magicians wanted to see TC perform as they regarded him as one of the best.

highlandjambo3

I believe (don't quote me on this)........but he did really genuinely try to be a magician, and botched it up that badly that people were in hysterics  watching him.  Ding, the coin dropped and he never looked back........................................just like that :toff: 

Maroon Sailor

One of my favourite guys to do an impression of. If someone was feeling down I'd do a bit of TC. Spoon jar, Jar spoon usually gets them

The Treasurer

I believe (don't quote me on this)........but he did really genuinely try to be a magician, and botched it up that badly that people were in hysterics  watching him.  Ding, the coin dropped and he never looked back........................................just like that :toff: 

See my previous post.

Jimmy Tarbuck recalls a story of when he compared the Royal variety performance and Tommy was on the bill. QE2 had to meet the performers afterwards and Jimmy had to introduce them to QE2. Said he was absolutely shitting himself as they came up the line to Tom. Apparently this is what happened.

JT: Your Majesty, may I introduce Tommy Cooper

QE2: Very good to meet you Tom.

TC: Your Majesty, do you mind if I ask you a personal question?

JT goes green and hopes that a hole will open up and swallow them all

QE2: Well.......I hope not too personal.......

TC: Well ma'am, its just a question of whether you like football?

QE2: Not particularly Tom, horse racing is more my sport.

TC: Well.......do you think I could get your tickets for the cup final?

Comedy gold.

Jimmy Tarbuck recalls a story of when he compared the Royal variety performance and Tommy was on the bill. QE2 had to meet the performers afterwards and Jimmy had to introduce them to QE2. Said he was absolutely shitting himself as they came up the line to Tom. Apparently this is what happened.

JT: Your Majesty, may I introduce Tommy Cooper

QE2: Very good to meet you Tom.

TC: Your Majesty, do you mind if I ask you a personal question?

JT goes green and hopes that a hole will open up and swallow them all

QE2: Well.......I hope not too personal.......

TC: Well ma'am, its just a question of whether you like football?

QE2: Not particularly Tom, horse racing is more my sport.

TC: Well.......do you think I could get your tickets for the cup final?

Comedy gold.

:lol: brilliant

Another Tarby story about the great man. They were doing something together and Tarby went to pick TC up. He was still in bed when Tarby got there as he'd been out on the lash the night before. TC's Mrs made Tarby a cup of tea and he was sat in the living room when TC comes in looking like death. He then throws up. Enter Mrs Cooper and TC goes, "Tarby's just been sick".

Tarrby was mortified and, when he asked TC why he'd said it he goes, "She likes you, she can't stand me".

There's a statue of him in Caerphilly where he was born I think. Along with Eric Morecambe a man who can make me laugh just by looking at him.

Truly a one of a kind entertainer indeed. Have got his autograph on the back of a Blackpool B&B card my grandpa got for mum back in the day...

Very revealing documentary on him a few years ago, not the lovable idiot comic character  he portrayed. In all honesty never ever found him funny, so contrived.

jambos are go!

Tommy along with Frankie Howard and Chic Murray did not have to rely too much on material. They had a funny personna they had either developed or were born with.

Another great story about him is whenever he took a taxi anywhere, he would stick something in the driver's top pocket but concealing it in the process. 'Have a drink on me later' Tommy would say, and the driver would set off again all chuffed.......................................................it was a teabag!

Very revealing documentary on him a few years ago, not the lovable idiot comic character  he portrayed. In all honesty never ever found him funny, so contrived.

:lol:

I recorded the Parkinson interview with him a couple of days ago and have just started watching it. He's barely said anything yet and the audience and Parkinson are already in hysterics. 

A true one off comedian that could reduce an audience to uncontrollable laugher in seconds just by standing and looking confused. 

One of my favourites years ago as a kid and I still find him hilarious.

Just watched it. Brilliant. "I backed a horse at 20/1 and it came in at twenty past four". One of the very few men who could walk on a stage and do nothing for an hour and the audience would fall about. A funny,funny man.  Fair enough he was a very troubled man in his personal life but he was a comic genius.

Tommy along with Frankie Howard and Chic Murray did not have to rely too much on material. They had a funny personna they had either developed or were born with.

Frankie Howard worked very hard at his act, there was not one pause or stutter that had not been rehearsed numerous times. Chic Murray  a  natural comedian who came out with "off the wall" statements with his delivery, they were funny.In his early days I liked Billy Connoly, then you are supposed to laugh just because he has banana boots on and uses the f word a lot.

Tommy Cooper  I thought a very clever and devious man, a bit like, IMO Sir Cliff Richard.

The Real Maroonblood

Frankie Howard worked very hard at his act, there was not one pause or stutter that had not been rehearsed numerous times. Chic Murray  a  natural comedian who came out with "off the wall" statements with his delivery, they were funny.In his early days I liked Billy Connoly, then you are supposed to laugh just because he has banana boots on and uses the f word a lot.

Tommy Cooper  I thought a very clever and devious man, a bit like, IMO Sir Cliff Richard.

Just like that.

Archived