U20s - home to Hamilton tonight

Ross21

Footballfirst

Did jack simpson not feature FF?

Remember him as a decent laddie and thought he went to Accies.

Jack got a serious injury early in the season and hasn't featured for the last two or three months.

No real surprise in the scoreline. If anything it flattered Hearts a bit..

Hamilton were out the traps from the first whistle. Inside the first minute Brophy picked up the ball 40 yards out on the right and drove at pace past Wilson and into the box before placing his shot perfectly inside the far post. It was 2-0 after 15 minutes. A Steven Boyd (he was training with us at the start of the season) free kick was floated into the box and Docherty rose highest to head the ball past Gallacher.

Hearts gradually got into the game as they match Hamilton's workrate for a while pressing further up the park, and got a softish penalty when Alex Neil pulled back Robbie Buchanan. Robbie took the spot kick which was almost a carbon copy of Jamie Walkers against Rangers.

Wilson went off at half time as did Liam Smith who picked up a knock just before the end of the first half. It meant a bit of a reshuffle with Buchanan going to right back and trialist Dale Baxter playing in midfield.

It was one way traffic throughout the second half and Hearts defended well. Gallacher made a couple of decent save and McGhee, Page and Gordon got some good blocks in. The surprise was that it took until the 84th minute for Hamilton to get a 3rd. This time with a Reilly shot from 25 yards or so around the corner of the box that found the far corner of the net.

Hearts didn't have a shot at goal in the second half such was Hamilton's dominance. The had a strong spine to their side with Devlin, Neil and Brophy, together with Boyd linking midfield and attack. Their work rate was excellent and everyone was closing people down in packs from the 1st to the last minute. It's not difficult to see why they are top of the table.

For Hearts Jordan McGhee was excellent and held things together well, particularly in the 2nd half. Wilson was ok once he realised there was a game on. Buchanan was decent in the first half but struggled a bit at Right back. The trialist was a bit meh. The downsides? Gallacher hist the ball long to often. Scott look knackered after playing 90 mins on loan on Saturday. McKirdy and Flanagan were a bit lightweight against Neil, and Oliver and Roy likewise against Devlin.

was I right in saying it was young Andy Irving and kieran Watson that was on the bench?

I'm guessing there won't be much throughput into the first team from this group.

We've put out some very young teams this season in these games. Most of them have about 2-3 seasons left at this level if not more. I wouldn't be writing anyone off yet.

Footballfirst

was I right in saying it was young Andy Irving and kieran Watson that was on the bench?

Yes That was the pair.   Both of them plus Daniel Baur and Greg Page all played for Hearts U17s yeaterday

My impression of the 20s is there is no leader or experience relatively speaking. Alex Neil played for Hamilton tonight and provided that.

We have a young 20z by the look of it and while there are some boys with potential it's hard to show up in a poor team.

Our predicament the last few years has meant players like Paterson, King, Nicholson, McGhee and Carrick, who I think all might still be old enough to play in the U20s have been shoe horned into the first team. Leaving players from the U17s to make the step up.

Footballfirst

We've put out some very young teams this season in these games. Most of them have about 2-3 seasons left at this level if not more. I wouldn't be writing anyone off yet.

Hamilton had 3 overage, 2 x U20s, 3 x U19s and 3 x U18s

Hearts had 2 overage, 1 x U20, 4 x U19s, 3 x U18s and 1 x U17

so not a huge difference in experience.

As with all teams below first team level it matters not a jot about results. If each squad of 16-20 boys produces one progressing through to first team level each year then job done. Craig Levein/Robbie Neilson will be well aware of who has a chance and who will go no further than the under 20's.

My impression of the 20s is there is no leader or experience relatively speaking. Alex Neil played for Hamilton tonight and provided that.

We have a young 20z by the look of it and while there are some boys with potential it's hard to show up in a poor team.

I would say it's easier. 

The Treasurer

As with all teams below first team level it matters not a jot about results. If each squad of 16-20 boys produces one progressing through to first team level each year then job done. Craig Levein/Robbie Neilson will be well aware of who has a chance and who will go no further than the under 20's.

Agreed.

While we always want to see Hearts winning at all levels, it's clear that the u20's are being used mainly to prepare players for the first team squad. Whether that is bringing on the young lads or keeping established players match fit. I'm comfortable with that approach

very one sided match ,,

what happened with the trialists hunter and keane thought they might get another run out but never seen them listed since 

Winston Ingram

I don't quite buy this theory. Otherwise, why is there is a league in the first place as opposed to a season of friendly games? It is surely better for the team to develop a winning mentality as a group, young or otherwise. They aren't an U10 school team. We'd be quick enough to celebrate any youth team winning any trophy (something which has happened on precious few occasions recently, in itself not too clever an indicator). 

It's surely unarguable that it is better for their confidence and mindset to be winning week on week, or at least semi regularly, in the U20s than continually struggling? 

I don't quite buy this theory. Otherwise, why is there is a league in the first place as opposed to a season of friendly games? It is surely better for the team to develop a winning mentality as a group, young or otherwise. They aren't an U10 school team. We'd be quick enough to celebrate any youth team winning any trophy (something which has happened on precious few occasions recently, in itself not too clever an indicator).

It's surely unarguable that it is better for their confidence and mindset to be winning week on week, or at least semi regularly, in the U20s than continually struggling?

It doesn't matter if you buy it or not as that's the reality of it. The league is purely to get clubs to fulfil fixtures on a regular basis. The bottom line is it's very difficult to get any consistency when the team changes - sometimes quite drastically - week in, week out.

The injury suffered by Liam Smith was a badly gashed foot which will see him out for a week or two.

The injury suffered by Liam Smith was a badly gashed foot which will see him out for a week or two.

Not good news for youth cup game on Sunday, Beith already ineligible. If Oliver plays for Stenny and Nicholson and McGhee are needed on Saturday then we will need to draft in U17s against what I've heard is a good St Mirren side.

Not good news for youth cup game on Sunday, Beith already ineligible. If Oliver plays for Stenny and Nicholson and McGhee are needed on Saturday then we will need to draft in U17s against what I've heard is a good St Mirren side.

Next weekend's 17z game vs hibs has been moved to tomorrow night already because I think the 20z were likely to be short on players anyway.

Archived