Today is irrelevant

Pants Shaton

I said on another thread (and was called an embarrassment) that we've been poor recently. First half V Rangers, second V Falkirk, Hibs, Raith etc. fairly poor.

I'd rather we take our humping in the cup, a kick up the arse for the league.

Gomis sending off changed the game from the start but it could be the making of him as a hearts player, he is absolute class but he needs to cut out the stupid tackles. This might settle him down a bit and use his head more.

Today's game might just win us the league. We have been shite for a while now and rode our luck a few times. This should give Robbie all the ammunition needed to kick them up the arse and find that energy we have seen in the early season.

Better to lose in the cup and get a reaction going into league gams than lose in the league and let rangers close the gap.

It's relevant to me .

Why?

It was over the moment our 'captain' lost the plot.

Easy to forget. Let's win the league.

Might be irrelevant in the scheme of things this season but it has led to implications.

Gomis will likely miss 4 matches and be unavailable for over a month until the Hibs match.

There seemed to be knocks to Walker and Keatings as well as the fact we have not see Wilson, Sow and Carrick for weeks and have lost McHattie until the New Year. Nicholson and El Hass both also missed out today. We are getting stretched and we need an extra body or two in January.

Clark Griswold

As I said in the match thread, we Need to take away some discipline lessons and put the match behind us, we move on and back to league business. Can't afford to have the players dwell on this for too long or at all

Hearts being humped at home (once again) by Celtic is not an irrelevance in my opinion

You feel free to kid yourself on this is not a morale sapping kick in the teeth!

Hearts being humped at home (once again) by Celtic is not an irrelevance in my opinion

You feel free to kid yourself on this is not a morale sapping kick in the teeth!

What does this tell us?

We were competitive until that idiot got sent off.

We were holding on until one of the worst penalty calls in history.

We're out a cup we were quite unlikely to win. We could end the year with a double figure advantage over Rangers.

I'm holding off on the cyanide for now.

glastonbury jambo

No some things have been shown today ...we lack leadership ... if we fall behind by 2 the heads go down and we fold....no game is ever irrelevent it always has meaning and you can bury your head in the sand if you want but there are cracks begining to show and robbie has some hard work to do still.

Sorry, not with you OP. Quite alarming against stronger sides how we go into our shells if something goes against us.

Of course it was going to be hard once Gomis was off but there's no excuse for the times we actually got the ball and not enough of the team switched on to move, pass and make space.

It only takes 2,3 players in a sequence of play to make it happen even if you are down to ten men.

We got far too deep in our minds defensively and we suffered when we got the ball.

Again, we sat 6,7 yards of our markers around our box and froze instead of reacting and making tackles or at least closing down.

In a forward sense Walker seemed the only one with courage and bottle to play his game. Long gone are the days of players being battlers as much as players. Every player wants their 5 yards of space on the ball these days and not expect a tackle.

Some of our players need to learn to toughen up, get the sleeves rolled up and give feckin more in the face of adversity.

Didnt even watch the game. Went to see horrible bosses 2 at fountain park.

Sounds like Celtic have done us a favour. We needed a wake up call. More concerned with our next league game.

Can I point out we played 86 minutes of football, with 10 men, against the best team in Scotland, with a cheat ref.

I've seen Celtic stick 4 past us at Tynecastle plenty - I don't like it but today was hardly a yardstick if our progress.

Maroon tinted glasses 2

This was always going to be a difficult game but being down to ten after 7 minutes meant there was not a chance of us getting a result as our setup and plan was based on a strong midfield. Going in at half time only one down was the only positive of the first half and the second was always going to bring more goals. At the end of the day we can now focus 100% percent on the league and that's not a bad thing.

What does this tell us?

We're out a cup we were quite unlikely to win. We could end the year with a double figure advantage over Rangers.

Nobody mentioned cyanide (you talk about an overreaction) So in your world you merely select what is relevant or not?

Talk about living in cloud cuckoo land!

Teuchterjambo

Gomis sending off changed the game from the start but it could be the making of him as a hearts player, he is absolute class but he needs to cut out the stupid tackles. This might settle him down a bit and use his head more.

Today's game might just win us the league. We have been shite for a while now and rode our luck a few times. This should give Robbie all the ammunition needed to kick them up the arse and find that energy we have seen in the early season.

Better to lose in the cup and get a reaction going into league gams than lose in the league and let rangers close the gap

He won't be showing his class for the next 4 weeks though will he ... so his class is totally irrelevant for now. I also think you are being optimistic about this could be the making of him ... he is not an impressionable young laddie, he is a seasoned pro and doubt his ability to change. All the class in the world is irrelevant if he is a liability. Pallardo is a class player and could be even more influential for us than Gomis.

I hope Robbie rips Gomis a new one on whatever internal discipline he gets.

He let the club, his team mates and the fans down today real big style and shoukld hang his head in shame for a while.

It doesn't and it is.

Touch?.

Are you seriously arguing that we should give up on the Scottish Cup? I agree we should see promotion as a priority but going out early of a cup we could have gone far in with a favourable draw is still a sore one. Ergo it's not 'irrelevant'.

Frank Sidebottom

Didnt even watch the game. Went to see horrible bosses 2 at fountain park.

Sounds like Celtic have done us a favour. We needed a wake up call. More concerned with our next league game.

Cool story bro. Hope you enjoyed the film.

Maybe sit this one out then.

Are you seriously arguing that we should give up on the Scottish Cup? I agree we should see promotion as a priority but going out early of a cup we could have gone far in with a favourable draw is still a sore one. Ergo it's not 'irrelevant'.

Drawing pessimistic conclusions (for the reasons already stated) is irrelevant.

I wish we'd won the cup - I think worse teams have. It was over after the eighth minute - we move on.

The players need to get over it quickly. Celtics wage budget will be about 20times ours so we were always expected to lose heavily.

Hopefully the club can look at the positives - we can now focus our energy 100% on the league campaign, Rangers still have the league cup, challenge cup and scottish cup as a distraction. This gives us an advantage in the league as long as we don't let this result effect us.

I'm dissapointed that's us out but I'm over it already to be honest.

Might be irrelevant in the scheme of things this season but it has led to implications.

Gomis will likely miss 4 matches and be unavailable for over a month until the Hibs match.

There seemed to be knocks to Walker and Keatings as well as the fact we have not see Wilson, Sow and Carrick for weeks and have lost McHattie until the New Year. Nicholson and El Hass both also missed out today. We are getting stretched and we need an extra body or two in January.

I thought the suspension was only 4 Scottish cup or have the gfa changed the rules to suit there beloved old firm

glastonbury jambo

I thought the suspension was only 4 Scottish cup or have the gfa changed the rules to suit there beloved old firm

yeah they changed them today after the game...

Other than some friendlies, no game of football is irrelevant. In terms of importance, sure, losing isn't a massive deal but it is disappointing. I'd have loved to have won the cup but, the reality is, with 10 men and several key players injured it doesn't give us a good judgement of where we are. All we can do is focus on winning every single league game that is rest. Sure, it's difficult but it is something I'm certain we can do (or at least remain undefeated.)  

I fear the meltdown if we lose a league game.

Outclassed today, but in truth we must try a lot harder.

Suppose it's difficult due to the respect that the team and management are fairly new to each other and probably don't hold that dynamic plan b yet.

Celtic have had it easy at tynecastle in recent seasons, we must change that. Especially for next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight reds impact on league games as well. The Gomis situation is complicated by the fact he was already suspended for next weeks match and todays red (his 2nd of the season) along with his other points will see him get further games. I think it will be 4 but hopefully I am wrong. If it is I don't think he will be available till the Hibs game on January 3rd.

Straight reds impact on league games as well. The Gomis situation is complicated by the fact he was already suspended for next weeks match and todays red (his 2nd of the season) along with his other points will see him get further games. I think it will be 4 but hopefully I am wrong. If it is I don't think he will be available till the Hibs game on January 3rd.

Which other time was he sent off?

Thats tough on Hearts and Gomez, and we are entering a problem where we don't have the size of squad and cover in all areas that would be great  - but there it is. 
Pallardo makes up for his absence I suspect , he has become a great signing.   but we need  El Has too.  I know he has not been brilliant but Sow is some weeks away. 

Can I point out we played 86 minutes of football, with 10 men, against the best team in Scotland, with a cheat ref.

I've seen Celtic stick 4 past us at Tynecastle plenty - I don't like it but today was hardly a yardstick if our progress.

I agree BUT I'm still angry so it has some relevance. League more important but cup still important.

Maroon Sailor

The match was irrelevant in as much as it was a waste of time playing it.

Collum the ref - tick

Early red card for Hearts - tick

A blatant " non penalty " penalty for Celtic - tick

Several fouls by Celtic going unpunished - tick

It's a wake up call that they may have become a bit to complacent and shows how much they still have to improve.

Seymour M Hersh

Todays game is why I'll never criticise another Hearts fan (or any non OF fan in fact) for not going to these games. I was hoping we'd have one complete season without having that terrorist loving club in town. Their fans are the dregs of society, the board has, over the last few years, bullied the SFA into letting them away with murder. Reid and Lennon's comments about the game, Liewell's continual threats to leave Scottish football. Comments that Vlad got find 100k for and if Liewell is not bringing the game into disrepute with his statements then I don't know what is. Their habitual victim stance. Their knuckle dragging low-life support and their terrorist glorifying songs. As a club they make me vomit. I doubt I'll be back to a game at Tynecastle involving them. There is no enjoyment or entertainment in it.

This is why I'll keep tuning in for Scottish Cup matches against them.

Have to sit through the rough ones to be there for the glory.

Malinga the Swinga

The result today was irrelevant but not the day itself. Out of the cup isn't a problem, we get knocked out most years. Today did serve to highlight that Collum is a cheat, Guidetti is a cheat and the Celtic fans, all of them, not a minority, are vile lowlife.

When the next round of cup games, is there championship fixtures that day , hopefully if so, then we can get the points on the board

Guest Bilel Mohsni

The match was irrelevant in as much as it was a waste of time playing it.

Collum the ref - tic

Early red card for Hearts - tic

A blatant " non penalty " penalty for Celtic - tic

Several fouls by Celtic going unpunished - tic

FTFY

We now have 22 games left this season. No cup games or European games (obviously) to distract us or result in injuries and suspensions. 22 games to maintain a high standard, maintain momentum and ensure that we gain every advantage over the Hun and go on and win the league. Today is disappointing but the league is the priority.

Fozzyonthefence

What does this tell us?

Great, we were competitive for a whole 8 minutes at home then?  And about 10 minutes in the League Cup.  The fact that a very poor Celtic team is streets ahead of us is a tad worrying, not irrelevant, imo.  Not as important as the league, granted, but I don't see how it's not relevant, in terms of injuries, suspensions, possible loss of confidence (we'll get an idea on that score next week).

Sorry, not with you OP. Quite alarming against stronger sides how we go into our shells if something goes against us.

Of course it was going to be hard once Gomis was off but there's no excuse for the times we actually got the ball and not enough of the team switched on to move, pass and make space.

It only takes 2,3 players in a sequence of play to make it happen even if you are down to ten men.

We got far too deep in our minds defensively and we suffered when we got the ball.

Again, we sat 6,7 yards of our markers around our box and froze instead of reacting and making tackles or at least closing down.

In a forward sense Walker seemed the only one with courage and bottle to play his game. Long gone are the days of players being battlers as much as players. Every player wants their 5 yards of space on the ball these days and not expect a tackle.

Some of our players need to learn to toughen up, get the sleeves rolled up and give feckin more in the face of adversity.

What "stronger sides" have we played this season?

Rangers got a very late equaliser at Ibrox - remember what that used to mean?  This season we just got a winner right back.

Went behind at Easter Road (the only time we've been behind in the league I think), went down to ten men - kept at it and got that equaliser.

Archived