Tourettes

LeftBack

Sorry to hear that in this day and age some people seem incapable of not acting like absolute dicks. I hope the young lad gets back to watching his beloved Hearts soon.

I'm guessing many of us grew up seeing that documentary about the lad with Tourette's and it was mostly a source of mirth and playground slagging. To hear the actual personal impact of Tourette's is heart breaking.

Best wishes Harry's Roar, it sounds like you're doing everything right and I'll bet learning techniques and understanding have moved on tremendously since we were kids.

Just looking back on this thread. You are talking about John Davidson - one of the most truly inspirational people I have ever met. He has been a great source of help to me and my son. He is a great guy - and honestly Ive fought back tears listening to the struggle he went through. Tourette's is a vile condition. It makes you  think the worst thing possible and then say it out loud. Of course it is funny - John himself admits that; best example was when he told me he could never play hide and seek as a child because he would always hide and then shout 'Im f******* over here'.....hilarious!

Not hilarious when you watch your son literally beat himself black and blue. Or tell me 'I f******* hate you dad' and then break down in tears saying 'I didnt mean it, I didnt mean it'.

Anyway...as Ive said before I use JKB as a cathartic sometimes after a few drinks..... 

Sorry to hear that in this day and age some people seem incapable of not acting like absolute dicks. I hope the young lad gets back to watching his beloved Hearts soon.

Thanks mate. I truly understand that some people would react in the way they do and I dont get aggressive or whatever. My primary concern is my son. And btw he will be there on Sunday with a renewed season ticket and, joking apart, the outbursts will probably be coming from his old man!!

Neilson's Shank

This is the most heartbreaking yet inspirational thread I have read for a long time, what a dad and has made me realise how lucky we have been with our now grown up son. Keep doing what you are doing and I hope that your boy can develop coping mechanisms to deal with this horrible condition. Shining a light on this has been an eye opener for me,best wishes to the wee man, come on the JT's.

I know how he feels going to games and having people look/laugh at his tics. I felt the same insecurity at his age. Used to infuriate me at times. As I grew older I began to care less about what ar5eholes thought or did though and just enjoyed the game, I realised that in life I'd come across these types of people a lot but that they weren't worth a second thought.

Good thing about having an ST is that people around him should mostly be the same people each week so they will get used to seeing him tic and not react (or if they do start or laugh he will at least know which ones are the ar5es to ignore). Hardest part is disengaging and not worrying about if people are looking at you or not, I was still very self conscious at that age.

He may find as he gets older it will settle down a bit or he will learn ways to control and manage it. Even little subtle stuff like I have managed to get my toes to tic so that instead of blinking profusely or nodding etc I sometimes let it out through my toes. Mine is non-vocal so not sure how that differs really in terms of learning to cope as I can appreciate it may be more difficult.

The Future's Maroon

I remember watching something on TV a few years back (might have been that John Davidson - is he a grown man as opposed to a kid), I was totally unaware of how bad this condition can be to live with - yes I laughed at some of the tics "yer dugs goat tits" always cracked me up, where in reality there is a much bigger picture. I don't know how I could cope with my child talking to me or anyone in the manner you described and there is no way in a million years I could ever understand how horrible your son must feel after saying some things which he can't control.

But, its when I read a thread like this brings it home just how fortunate some people are, and who don't even realise it and also how special some parents/kids actually are.

Stunning gesture from Tim Howard and of course Hearts.

I was a college with John, St Boswells agricultural College, he's a top bloke, but, at 16 years old and never having even heard of toretes never mind meeting someone with it, I, to my shame found pretty funny, you could hear him shout a swear right through the building, it was the spitting that upset him the most I think, a real curse having to live with the condition.

I hope the wee man has a season ticket. Those around him will clock on to his condition and it won't even be an issue. And it'll be the same faces every week.

People in general are good. Good Hearts fans will see the wee man ok.

GlasgoJambo

I know how he feels going to games and having people look/laugh at his tics. I felt the same insecurity at his age. Used to infuriate me at times. As I grew older I began to care less about what ar5eholes thought or did though and just enjoyed the game, I realised that in life I'd come across these types of people a lot but that they weren't worth a second thought.

Good thing about having an ST is that people around him should mostly be the same people each week so they will get used to seeing him tic and not react (or if they do start or laugh he will at least know which ones are the ar5es to ignore). Hardest part is disengaging and not worrying about if people are looking at you or not, I was still very self conscious at that age.

He may find as he gets older it will settle down a bit or he will learn ways to control and manage it. Even little subtle stuff like I have managed to get my toes to tic so that instead of blinking profusely or nodding etc I sometimes let it out through my toes. Mine is non-vocal so not sure how that differs really in terms of learning to cope as I can appreciate it may be more difficult.

Great post.

It's hard enough being a teenager and feeling awkward and self conscious without having Tourette's so I really hope your lad can start to feel more comfortable as those around him will get to know and understand him Harry. And keep using the board for cathartic reasons if it helps.

• 2 months later...

So sorry to say had to leave with 20 mins to go today - wee man's tics were becoming unmanageable. Apologies to those who thought it was funny a little boy saying offensive stuff whilst making strange movements.  Seriously think that will be his last game for a while  :sad3:  Im not blaming anyone - Im sure its funny as hell to watch a wee man greeting his eyes out whilst saying **** and other offensive terms. It is a brain disorder and he cant help it - please remember that when you casually use the term 'tourettes' when describing someone who swears a lot.

• 3 months later...

Not sure if it was your boy who was the subject of the latest BBC doc? Just watched it on iPlayer (Tourettes: Teenage Tics for anyone interested). Seemed a good young lad who is still trying to get to grips with it. Was good to see him relaxed and having fun at the end.

I won't lie, when he called his teacher a Hibee **** face I laughed!

Not sure if it was your boy who was the subject of the latest BBC doc? Just watched it on iPlayer (Tourettes: Teenage Tics for anyone interested). Seemed a good young lad who is still trying to get to grips with it. Was good to see him relaxed and having fun at the end.

I won't lie, when he called his teacher a Hibee **** face I laughed!

It was yes - just replied to another thread.

Hope you found it interesting and educational - and dont worry, some of his tics ARE funny! I asked them to film him wearing his Hearts top and with flag in background. They did hours and hours of filming but obviously edited a lot out.

In the police station where he called teacher a Hibbee ****face he was also ticcing - FTH and 5-1 to her...dont know where it gets that sort of language from!! :whistling:

It was yes - just replied to another thread.

Hope you found it interesting and educational - and dont worry, some of his tics ARE funny! I asked them to film him wearing his Hearts top and with flag in background. They did hours and hours of filming but obviously edited a lot out.

In the police station where he called teacher a Hibbee ****face he was also ticcing - FTH and 5-1 to her...dont know where it gets that sort of language from!! :whistling:

Nice one, hope he is back or has the confidence to get back to games soon. I wonder if Hearts could write to the folk in the seats around you to let them know the situation. I'm sure everyone would take it on board if they knew the story.

All the best to your wee man!

Would getting to the game a wee bit early and putting a flyer explaining it to those on surrounding seats help educate those around him?

• 3 weeks later...

Watched the documentary the other day LB, seems like a sound wee guy to be fair, priorities in the right place - usually decked out in Hearts clobber :yas:

Handy having Gala John not too far away for advice/help as well.  

Watched this on Sunday night, you should be extremely proud of your son, seems a really good kid. :thumbsup:

Good that he is getting help, also really sad hearing John Davidson saying his school basically gave up on him. Must of had a horrible time growing up.

LeftBack, I saw it last night as well and your wee lad is such a complete superstar. The way he deals with his condition is just brilliantly positive, even if it sounds like he has a lot to contend with...especially at school. For someone so young, and for someone who has a lot more to think about than other boys his age, his attitude is just amazing.

I'm sure you're incredibly proud of him, as you should be. [emoji846]

Watched this on Sunday night, you should be extremely proud of your son, seems a really good kid. :thumbsup:

Good that he is getting help, also really sad hearing John Davidson saying his school basically gave up on him. Must of had a horrible time growing up.

I remember John Davidson from school, or more I was pally with his brother. Very rarely seen him at gala academy though as the condition wasn't properly understood and, as you mentioned, the school gave up on him. Got to know him after a couple of years through his brother, and also when gala baths used to out on a fun session on Friday nights that was mostly used by mid to late teenagers. He was hilarious. The life guards were always shouting at us to calm down, stop jumping off the chute etc, but they were too scared to tell John off.

Thanks for all support. Anything to raise awareness of condition and what the wee man has to go through on a daily basis is a good thing. Did contact club to get them to promote too but never heard anything back...I had suggested he gives pre-match talk to players on Sunday - although Im not sure his words would necessarily be Tourette's related!!

I had suggested he gives pre-match talk to players on Sunday - although Im not sure his words would necessarily be Tourette's related!!

:pleasing: make it happen Hearts.

The Old Tolbooth

I watched last nights programme too, and my heart really went out to Rory, but he's a wee inspiration, he really is!

I went to school with John Davidson and knew him very well from our days at school together, nobody knew or understood what was going on at the time and he was made to feel terrible by the ridicule he suffered, to the point he wanted to end his life, I always knew when John was in a supermarket or nearby, and always stopped to talk to him as I genuinely like the guy. I remember one time after Hearts beat Rangers 4-2 at Tynecastle in the Scottish Cup, when I bumped into John the next morning in the High Street in Gala, and we chatted about the game (he's a Rangers fan) and is as giving him a bit stick about Hearts beating them for once, and he took it brilliantly, but as I turned to walk away he shouted out "Fat Hearts ****" [emoji23][emoji23], I turned round and just laughed, as did he, brilliant.

The work he's now doing with Rory and others is absolutely fantastic, and it really gave me a nice feeling inside seeing him helping Rory so much, and taking time out to speak to the teachers at Jed Grammar to try to educate them further on the subject, if only John had someone to fight his corner like that when he was younger. The lad (his name escapes me now) who learned how to pay the drums is absolutely amazing, it's fantastic to see just how far he's come on and what he's doing with himself now, and I pray that Rory can take to the drums and use it like he did to calm his tics.

Best of luck mate, I wish you and Rory all the very best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
Say What Again
On 21/11/2014 at 09:11, GlasgoJambo said:

I'm guessing many of us grew up seeing that documentary about the lad with Tourette's and it was mostly a source of mirth and playground slagging.

On 09/02/2017 at 18:45, The Old Tolbooth said:

I went to school with John Davidson and knew him very well from our days at school together, nobody knew or understood what was going on at the time and he was made to feel terrible by the ridicule he suffered, to the point he wanted to end his life, I always knew when John was in a supermarket or nearby, and always stopped to talk to him as I genuinely like the guy. I remember one time after Hearts beat Rangers 4-2 at Tynecastle in the Scottish Cup, when I bumped into John the next morning in the High Street in Gala, and we chatted about the game (he's a Rangers fan) and is as giving him a bit stick about Hearts beating them for once, and he took it brilliantly, but as I turned to walk away he shouted out "Fat Hearts ****" [emoji23][emoji23], I turned round and just laughed, as did he, brilliant.

The work he's now doing with Rory and others is absolutely fantastic, and it really gave me a nice feeling inside seeing him helping Rory so much, and taking time out to speak to the teachers at Jed Grammar to try to educate them further on the subject, if only John had someone to fight his corner like that when he was younger.

Awarded the MBE from the Queen at the recent Holyrood Palace garden party, in recognition of his work raising the awerness of the condition.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-48937211

Edited by Say What Again

Used to live in Hawick but never had the pleasure of meeting John Davidson. Seems like a really nice guy.

Watched his stuff on YouTube, and while some of it you can't help laugh it, he really did open your eyes to how much of a struggle it can be. That said, I've got nothing but admiration for the way John handles it, and on most occasions, he laughs at himself. That's obviously one way to deal with the condition.

Fxxx the SPFL

I first met John at the now defunct Peel Hospital outside Galashiels our 18 month old laddie was in with suspected meningitis, John was in the same ward i don't know why but when he passed the wife he shouted fat cow at her the wife wasn't happy i was pissing myself laughing and we just thought cheeky wee toad. It wasn't until may years later that i realised what John's issues were. Met him loads of times in Gala a really nice guy used to have a leather key fob in his mouth probably to stop him swearing. Anyway when i worked in the local DHSS office in Gala it was always great to see John come in the reception area was always packed and when John started shouting and swearing the punters hadn't a clue what was going on and most promptly left making it a nice quiet afternoon for us. I was down in Gala watching my grandson a few weeks before his recent award and congratulated him on his recognition after he told me about his MBE a really nice lad.

jack D and coke

That program he made with Keith Allen where they all went to France on a bus is possibly one of the funniest things I’ve ever watched. 

I’ve always felt it’s a bit more put on with John that the others too, it really did seem like involuntary tics with them whereas not so much with him. How did he manage to keep it in check meeting the queen for instance🤔

25 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

That program he made with Keith Allen where they all went to France on a bus is possibly one of the funniest things I’ve ever watched. 

I’ve always felt it’s a bit more put on with John that the others too, it really did seem like involuntary tics with them whereas not so much with him. How did he manage to keep it in check meeting the queen for instance🤔

I've just heard about his MBE from the post above and my immediate thought was of what that meeting must have been like. Everybody on the edge of their seat, surely. 

Anyway, hope Left Back's lad is doing well and will be along to Tynie this coming season. 

gashauskis9
On 10/07/2019 at 17:12, Locky said:

Used to live in Hawick but never had the pleasure of meeting John Davidson. Seems like a really nice guy.

Watched his stuff on YouTube, and while some of it you can't help laugh it, he really did open your eyes to how much of a struggle it can be. That said, I've got nothing but admiration for the way John handles it, and on most occasions, he laughs at himself. That's obviously one way to deal with the condition.

This.  It’s difficult not to laugh at the obscurity of what he comes out with, and fair play to him for dealing with it with a sense of humour.

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Is that the one where he called the bus driver a paedo? 

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Is that the one where he called the bus driver a paedo? 

Amongst a few other things :lol: 

One of the funniest things I’ve ever watched for all the wrong reasons. 

Samuel Camazzola
27 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Amongst a few other things :lol: 

One of the funniest things I’ve ever watched for all the wrong reasons. 

Aye. It's been a few years since I saw it but recall a few of them shouting "bomb" when an area was swarming with armed police. May have been near Parliament or somewhere similar. 

John often spoke about the taboo subjects going through his head which caused him to have outbursts at the moments which could cause most offence. The tale about meeting Prince Charles was amusing when he called him a big-eared ****. 😄 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

jack D and coke
13 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Aye. It's been a few years since I saw it but recall a few of them shouting "bomb" when an area was swarming with armed police. May have been near Parliament or somewhere similar. 

John often spoke about the taboo subjects going through his head which caused him to have outbursts at the moments which could cause most offence. The tale about meeting Prince Charles was amusing when he called him a big-eared ****. 😄 

I honestly pissed myself right the way through that it was amazing :lol:  

jack D and coke

I hadn’t read the OP of this thread(the one above)and tbh feel pretty shitty now. 

Guess sometimes it’s easy to only see the funny side and not think about the pain a young person can go through dealing with the effects. 

Peace✌🏼

3 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I hadn’t read the OP of this thread(the one above)and tbh feel pretty shitty now. 

Guess sometimes it’s easy to only see the funny side and not think about the pain a young person can go through dealing with the effects. 

Peace✌🏼

Ach, I'd hope the OP would understand that there's times when his lad's condition will cause him to come out with something that would make people laugh. 

My missus works in a special needs school and she says that, while it's obviously wrong to laugh at their conditions and take the piss, sometimes the kids come out with stuff that you just can't help yourself from having a chuckle. 

Funny is funny. As long as you don't look down at the folk affected and treat them like a human being, you should be good. 

Edited by Normthebarman