Tourettes

LeftBack

Ill be honest. Im drunk.

My wonderful, Hearts fanatical, son has Tourette's.

Yes - the swearing condition. The one everyone takes the p out of.

Or rather the inherited neuropsychiatric disorder with onset in childhood, characterized by multiple physical (motor) tics and at least one vocal (phonic) tic. These tics characteristically wax and wane, can be suppressed temporarily, and are preceded by a premonitory urge. Tourette's is defined as part of a spectrum of tic disorders, which includes provisional, transient and persistent (chronic) tics.

The one where he beats his hands against his head. Cries himself to sleep.

Diagnosed. And getting treatment. But....

Fellow Hearts fans - we all hope our children are 'normal' but this condition is breaking my heart. 

To hear a little man call his grandparents '****ing retards who should die' and then breakdown in tears because of what he has said is the hardest thing Ive ever had to deal with.

To hear him say he would rather cut off his hands than have this - breaks my heart

To hear him ask 'why me Dad?' - breaks my heart.

To go to his parents night tonight and here he is top of his class despite his difficulties - breaks my heart.

Ill be at the Rangers game on Saturday with my wonderful little boy.

He knows he is loved. Be proud. If I was there I would give you a big hug. Consider yourself huged fellow Hearts fan.

Edited by niblick1874

chuck berrys hairline

Keep the head up big man, if you keep showing him courage and determination then he will get the heart of a lion.

A side point, was once watching a documentary on this condition tjink it was ch4. Basically they kept using mental stimulation through different means like jigsaws, memory games etc. Don't know if you've tried any of that. They also said they can never beat it but learn to control it's outbursts.

Keep believing bud life will only get better.

Tourette's really is a horrible condition and my heart goes out to the OP and in particular his son.

I was on a bus a few years back and there was a guy sitting in the seats next to me who had this illness. The poor sod looked so embarrassed. I felt so sorry for him.

Keep your chin up HR, if your son is doing so well in his studies despite this then your obviously doing a grand job. :thumbsup:

Guest C00l K1d

I know of a guy who had pretty bad tourettes, also the sweary type.

It was pretty bad when he was younger but as he got older he learned to suppress it. So before his tick was shouting and swearing, now it's just clicking his fingers or patting his hand against his leg.

When he gets steaming it can come back a little bit but on the whole he pretty much has control over the shouting and swearing.

Hopefully your kid can achieve something similar

I'm guessing many of us grew up seeing that documentary about the lad with Tourette's and it was mostly a source of mirth and playground slagging. To hear the actual personal impact of Tourette's is heart breaking.

Best wishes Harry's Roar, it sounds like you're doing everything right and I'll bet learning techniques and understanding have moved on tremendously since we were kids.

I'm guessing many of us grew up seeing that documentary about the lad with Tourette's and it was mostly a source of mirth and playground slagging. To hear the actual personal impact of Tourette's is heart breaking.Best wishes Harry's Roar, it sounds like you're doing everything right and I'll bet learning techniques and understanding have moved on tremendously since we were kids.

You maybe mean this one? I think it was the first most people had heard of this condition.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John%27s_Not_Mad

Rudolf's Mate

I watched a programme on it a few years ago which followed a few people with the condition. It totally opened my eyes as there was so much I wasn't aware of such as the impact it has on the person with the condition. 

As a parent with a disabled child I also know just how hard life can be and my heart goes out to you and your boy HR. 

I P Knightley

Ill be honest. Im drunk.

To go to his parents night tonight and here he is top of his class despite his difficulties - breaks my heart.

You got pissed for a parents' night?? Well played!

How old is he? I'm sure, as top of the class, he's a bright kid and maturity will bring with it an acceptance or understanding that his grandparents know what he's coping with; that his Dad loves him deeply; that the rest of his family support him and that he's been blessed to have been brought up a Jambo :)

Hang in there.

My son calls me a ****** -  there's nowt wrong with him, he's just a cheeky little shit.

Hope all goes well for you both. You sound like a brilliant dad and with your support I am sure he will continue to do just fine. All the best.

I would be telling him of other suffers of the condition who, while not cured, but live a full life, the only one I can think of though is Tim Howard, the goalie. Although he doesn't have the swearing part of it, he has the ticks, and as a goalkeeper that must be hard to do, but he has played at Man U and now Everton for years and has over 100 caps for the States.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

Captain_Peacock

Hard for me to imagine what it must be like watching your child go through that. It sounds like the kid is blessed with a great family, I'm sure he knows his nearest and dearest love him and accept his condition and he shouldn't feel guilty or torture himself for the things he says as a result of his condition.

Best of luck mate to you & your family.

the sub goalie

Our wee one has just turned 7 and suffers from Juvenile idiopathic arthritis and although it is a different illness I can appreciate how hard it to watch and I'm sure like me, you would do anything to take it from them.

A thing that helped all of us was a local charity for kids with arthritis, aswell as educational conferences they also hold social events where kids meet up and have some fun but are also encouraged to chat about their condition.

It has really helped the wee one in knowing that she is not alone and helped her to understand and deal with her condition and words can't explain how proud we are of her.

Maybe have a look in to something similar if it is out there, I would certainly recommend it.

Also, regardless of his condition he is extremley lucky having a dad that obviously cares so much and you supporting him will help him more than you will know.

Had a Touretes sufferer worked for me , with the assistance of medication he got through two police medicals.  It did not work well in that particular job, but proved that those inflicted can do well with medical and personal help.  One of the lesser things talked about with having kids is the unintentional pain they can cause you,  but it is always good to remember their pain is worse, and we can help by replacing our pain with love and care.

You should be proud of him. Sounds like you are a fantastic parent, so parents should be proud of themselves too.

And I say that when I am not drunk (yet).

I must admit this bit stood out for me

Top of the class shouldn't be breaking your heart - that's something to be mightily proud of. Yes, he'll have to learn to deal with not only the condition but arseholes who don't understand it but with the support of a loving family why the hell won't he?

fabienleclerq

Ill be honest. Im drunk.

My wonderful, Hearts fanatical, son has Tourette's.

Yes - the swearing condition. The one everyone takes the p out of.

Or rather the inherited neuropsychiatric disorder with onset in childhood, characterized by multiple physical (motor) tics and at least one vocal (phonic) tic. These tics characteristically wax and wane, can be suppressed temporarily, and are preceded by a premonitory urge. Tourette's is defined as part of a spectrum of tic disorders, which includes provisional, transient and persistent (chronic) tics.

The one where he beats his hands against his head. Cries himself to sleep.

Diagnosed. And getting treatment. But....

Fellow Hearts fans - we all hope our children are 'normal' but this condition is breaking my heart.

To hear a little man call his grandparents '******* retards who should die' and then breakdown in tears because of what he has said is the hardest thing Ive ever had to deal with.

To hear him say he would rather cut off his hands than have this - breaks my heart

To hear him ask 'why me Dad?' - breaks my heart.

Your both doing something right if he's top of the class. Hope his team wins tomorrow.

I must admit this bit stood out for me

Top of the class shouldn't be breaking your heart - that's something to be mightily proud of. Yes, he'll have to learn to deal with not only the condition but arseholes who don't understand it but with the support of a loving family why the hell won't he?

I don't fully understand it but to the best of my knowledge its just an extreme version of a nervous tic. People with tic's ain't daft but I'm sure in your profession Boof, you'll have a far better understanding of it than me.

I don't fully understand it but to the best of my knowledge its just an extreme version of a nervous tic. People with tic's ain't daft but I'm sure in your profession Boof, you'll have a far better understanding of it than me.

To be honest it's not something I encounter much but as you say, people with tics aren't daft - as evidenced by the OP's lad.

Thanks everyone who contributed.

There were a few tears shed reading some of this - and not just because of the dreaded hangover emotions!

I was heart broken when told he was top of the class - simply out of emotion.

He enjoyed the game today (of course!) but it was an emotional rollercoaster. He kept his tics inside for most of the game but was absolutely knackered afterwards because of that. Its been a tough night...

Anyway - thanks for being Hearts fans; but mostly thanks for being human beings.

I've got no real knowledge of tourettes other than it being a horrendous thing to deal with but I'm quite pragmatic and try to look at things as what they are.

Bare with me on this, as I'm trying to be constructive and I hope doesn't come across as offensive or patronising. Outbursts from tourettes sufferers are normally offensive and insulting words/phrases, right? I mean, I've never witnessed anyone stood in the middle of the supermarket bashing their head whilst shouting out "PEARS APPLES BANANAS". So I'm drawing the conclusion that the condition pulls things from the brain that your brain thinks are offensive?

I have a limited understanding of hypnosis and know it can be used to train the brain. Eg. It can be used to make smokers not want to smoke. I've also seen it be used to replace a common word with another. Can it not be used to replace the F's the C's and the B's in the brain with the really naughty Pears, Apples and Bananas with them being higher ranking uber s sweary words?

I realise this won't stop outbursts but it might mean that instead of sitting during Sunday roast and calling his granny a c"** he might call her a banana instead.

This thread gave me a wee lump in the throat. What a smashing dad you must be Harry's Roar.

If he's still managing to be top of the class when he's facing a life changing diagnosis like this then there's nothing he can't achieve.

He sounds like a right wee trooper. All the best to you.

Captain_Peacock

I've got no real knowledge of tourettes other than it being a horrendous thing to deal with but I'm quite pragmatic and try to look at things as what they are.

Bare with me on this, as I'm trying to be constructive and I hope doesn't come across as offensive or patronising. Outbursts from tourettes sufferers are normally offensive and insulting words/phrases, right? I mean, I've never witnessed anyone stood in the middle of the supermarket bashing their head whilst shouting out "PEARS APPLES BANANAS". So I'm drawing the conclusion that the condition pulls things from the brain that your brain thinks are offensive?

I have a limited understanding of hypnosis and know it can be used to train the brain. Eg. It can be used to make smokers not want to smoke. I've also seen it be used to replace a common word with another. Can it not be used to replace the F's the C's and the B's in the brain with the really naughty Pears, Apples and Bananas with them being higher ranking uber s sweary words?

I realise this won't stop outbursts but it might mean that instead of sitting during Sunday roast and calling his granny a c"** he might call her a banana instead.

I'm in the same boat as you re no real knowledge of Tourettes. I watched a TV series which featured a sufferer called Ruth called Undateables, she shouted "Thundercats" quite a bit and I wondered if this was a type of coping mechanism she'd developed or just a random phrase the brain had plucked from thin air.

Captain_Peacock

I would have thought the game would be the one place where he wouldn't need to try to control his outbursts.

It'd be nice to think the lad could relax for 90 minutes and not have to exhaust himself trying to control the tourettes.

Good luck to you both. My eldest son is on the autism spectrum but unless you lived with him you'd never notice. He tries so hard to be " normal" at school that it all comes out at home. Watching your own flesh and blood try so hard to fit in is heartbreaking. He was also in the register class at Broughton of the young girl who committed suicide. You certainly don't need to go looking for worries when you have kids. But they're by far and away the best thing you could ever have.

It'd be nice to think the lad could relax for 90 minutes and not have to exhaust himself trying to control the tourettes.

It's just the self-conciousness that causes the problem mate - and obviously proximity to strangers. No matter how many times I told him that a) people wouldnt care and B) they probably wouldnt hear him he was desperate to get to the car to let it out. He was quieter than usual during the match (well - he didnt have a couple of joyous outburts and joined in a few renditions of 'Glasgow Rangers - you let your club die!).

He enjoyed it though and wouldnt have missed it for the world. Neither would his old man!

Good luck to you both. My eldest son is on the autism spectrum but unless you lived with him you'd never notice. He tries so hard to be " normal" at school that it all comes out at home. Watching your own flesh and blood try so hard to fit in is heartbreaking. He was also in the register class at Broughton of the young girl who committed suicide. You certainly don't need to go looking for worries when you have kids. But they're by far and away the best thing you could ever have.

This in spades.

Thanks for all support and kind words

• 1 month later...

Thanks again for all the support.

An update....

The condition got spectacularly worse since last post.....very violent behaviour albeit coming in waves. Spending nights watching him hit his head against the bedroom wall. Asking for a kiss on the cheek and getting a punch in the jaw (yes literally)

Was at Falkirk game today and had to deal with 'older' gentlemen giving him evil looks because of noises and swearing.

Love him though

people who don;t know your lad has this condition, and seeing others reactions must be one of the toughest things you can go through, especially with it being such an obvious thing.  i imagine people will just see a sweary boy and judge the parents.  thats gotta be hard

you sound like a top dad, and i really hope your boy finds a way to help control this to at least some degree.  best of luck

HARRYS ROAR keep giving the wee man all your love , and I`m sure all will work out well. Judging by the picture that you`ve posted , he seems to be happy enough, he is a credit to the Hearts family and I`m sure you will have him well versed in all the songs to sing , so he won`t be self conscious of being any different to all the others at the games. WELL DONE MATE

Thanks all. Im afraid im a bit of an unreconstructed male who struggles to have proper dialogue and a few drinks and coming on here is very cathartic. It is very tough but love conquers all

• 1 month later...

Was trying to post a picture from our local paper, the Southern Reporter but failed. 

Cut a long story short

We got in touch with TIm Howard (Everton and USA goalie) who has Tourettes asking for a signed picture.

Never got a signed picture.

What wee man got was -

signed Everton top, gloves and ball with very personal messages from Tim.

Wiping away tears as I type - its amazing what a small gesture from him has meant to a wee boy!

Edited by Harry's Roar

Was trying to post a picture from our local paper, the Southern Reporter but failed. 

Cut a long story short

We got in touch with TIm Howard (Everton and USA goalie) who has Tourettes asking for a signed picture.

What wee man got was -

Wiping away tears as I type - its amazing what a small gesture from him has meant to a wee boy!

Well done Tim Howard. Football is just like real life. Some arses and some really good guys.

Well done Tim Howard. Football is just like real life. Some arses and some really good guys.

I know Jamie Hamill and he arranged for the wee man to go around Tynecastle last year. He still talks about how cool it was Gary Locke  meeting him in the reception and saying 'Hi Im the manager, right young man, get yourself in the changing rooms and let's go and meet the players', he was joking with Jamie McD, Callum P  and then Ryan Stevenson gave him his boots....im sure the players meet people all the time but they dont realise the impact they make on youngsters.

That's great to hear Harry, I'd like to think if I was in the position the players are in to help kids I would. But it's nice to hear they do.

Excellent stuff, great to hear.
Great from Tim Howard and hope it inspires your son...even with three kids I cant imagine how hard it must be dealing with a disability like that.

Robbo-Jambo

Cut a long story short

What wee man got was -

Brilliant touch from Tim Howard.

Bet your lad was over the moon. :2thumbsup:

All the best to him and you for the future. :sunny:

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this up again. We got through last year at Tynecastle without a hitch but son's condition has got a lot worse. We were at the Birkirkara game in main stand (couldnt get our season ticket seats) and had to leave at half time because son was ill and also self conscious about his tics which was not helped by people looking at him and laughing.   I know it sounds obvious but if you see a 12 year old making a lot of motor movements and/or vocal tics please think he cant help it.