How Can People Support 2 Teams With the Heart ?

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Down the pub tonight and some of the punters wearing Chelsea and Man U

tops , i just do not get it . Why and how can people cheer on second teams .

I've never understood it either, AJ. You support one team and one team only to your full capacity 'til the day you die.

For me, this includes international teams. To me, Scotland are nothing, Hearts are everything.

I can't understand it. I must admit though I do go to all the Scotland games I can and do support them but with that its more about a day out at the pub before and after the game, its like one all day party with 90 mins of football inbetween it and it doesnt bother me to much when they lose. When Hearts lose its another story :(

Hearts 100% no other. Can't understand how someone can truely support two teams.

Denny Crane
I can't understand it. I must admit though I do go to all the Scotland games I can and do support them but with that its more about a day out at the pub before and after the game, its like one all day party with 90 mins of football inbetween it and it doesnt bother me to much when they lose. When Hearts lose its another story :(

Hearts 100% no other. Can't understand how someone can truely support two teams.

Having an English team could be quite reassuring. Liverpool clinching the double in 86 alleviated the pain a touch after we had lost out on the Scottish equivilent.

Besides, the two are only ever likely to meet in European competition for which I would be backing Hearts but that possible meeting at this current moment in time is light years away.

And anyway, May 98 and May 2005 remain the best nights of my life.

Jam Tarts 1874

For me, being a fan means going to the games. I don't see how anyone can manage to attend their English team games as well as Hearts games.

This has been touched on a few times this week I think....

I've got Scotland tops, used to have the maroon Arsenal one, and i've got an Australia top but it doesn't mean my support for Hearts is divided amongst them so I really don't see the issue here. Most are worn for playing 6 a sides and I wear my Hearts one too. They're just football tops. Hearts are still the only club I pour ????'s into through tickets & merchandise.

jambojim52

By supporting two teams they are glory hunters. In most cases their other team generally do well in their leagues. So when Hearts are having a season like this one, they can claim well my other team won.

So therefore I can't support Scotland or couldn't when supporting Hearts:cussing::cussing::cussing:

Midloth_Iain

Its not about "supporting" 2 teams though is it ?.

I am a Hearts supporter, always will be, S.T. holder for 22 years (bar 2 seasons).

However I have had an affection for Man Utd since I was 10or 11. (all the kids in my area followed different English teams).

Sorry if that makes me an inferior Hearts fan. :P

juanjoboyo
Having an English team could be quite reassuring. Liverpool clinching the double in 86 alleviated the pain a touch after we had lost out on the Scottish equivilent.

Besides, the two are only ever likely to meet in European competition for which I would be backing Hearts but that possible meeting at this current moment in time is light years away.

And anyway, May 98 and May 2005 remain the best nights of my life.

Not to be a pedant - but since when did Celtic winning the Scottish Cup make for one of the best nights of your life?? :P

200milesfromgorgie

Hearts are a big part of my life but why can't you have a second team?

For me, being a fan means going to the games. I don't see how anyone can manage to attend their English team games as well as Hearts games.

I do/have. Lost/had to leave 2 jobs through it and got into trouble with the better half (no not hearts, the wife!)

By supporting two teams they are glory hunters. In most cases their other team generally do well in their leagues. So when Hearts are having a season like this one, they can claim well my other team won.

My other (local) team are playing in the Blue square north and for the past 3 seasons have failed to make the play offs , No glory there ithink you'll agree.

Its a tough job but someone has got to do it. Try it you might like it. additional generic comments.

Midloth_Iain
By supporting two teams they are glory hunters. .

A member here on JKB is a Hearts fan and follows Crewe Alexandra.

Glory Hunter ? ;)

jambojim52

Try reading what I post before jumping in with your petty " he supports linlithgow rose" crap. I stated IN MOST CASES.

Oxford City

My other club have just won the play-offs in the BGB League Division One South & West, and been voted Football Foundation English national Community Club of the year, so I am a glory hunter several times over.

Seriously though, if you don't live in Edinburgh and can't make all the games, what can you do? I help out with my local non-league club, and the Community Club award suggests we're doing a good job, but when we lose it doesn't hurt 1/10th as much as when Hearts lose. And nothing we could ever do could top 1998.

A member here on JKB is a Hearts fan and follows Crewe Alexandra.

Glory Hunter ? ;)

Aye Hearts ,Preston Athletic and Scotland,am a glory hunting git so a um.

Try reading what I post before jumping in with your petty " he supports linlithgow rose" crap. I stated IN MOST CASES.

Not by the look's of it my lad.

vegas-voss

I support Hearts but happen to like Man Utd.Can't say i suppport them from the heart though but i still like them nonetheless.So whats wrong with that ?

Gavsy Van Gaverson
I've never understood it either, AJ. You support one team and one team only to your full capacity 'til the day you die.

For me, this includes international teams. To me, Scotland are nothing, Hearts are everything.

Sorry, but that is a crap comparison. We support Hearts because we choose to.

You are Scottish whether you like it or not. You can support them, or choose not to - but you are still Scottish.

Denny Crane
Not to be a pedant - but since when did Celtic winning the Scottish Cup make for one of the best nights of your life?? :P

Read original post again. I refer to Liverpool as well as Hearts. Here's a wee clue if you're still confused....Gerrard, Smicer, Alonso & Dudek doing the Grobbelaar for Shevchenko.

However I have had an affection for Man Utd since I was 10or 11. (all the kids in my area followed different English teams).

This was the situation at my school too, my primary school mate was born in Stockport and got me to support Man U against Crystal Palace in the FA Cup final when I was 9, followed them ever since, and as another poster states, they are never going to meet and if one day they do in Europe it will be Hearts.

I think the older generation 35+ don't do this as there wasn't as much promotion of the English league in the 70's or 80's, or as much coverage. I love watching the English league and don't think I would enjoy it as much if I didn't have a team in it, in fact I struggle to think when I have watched any game that I have't rooted for one team or another for varying reasons.

jambojim52
Not by the look's of it my lad.

:sobored:

QUOTE:

By supporting two teams they are glory hunters. In most cases their other team.

The origional poster was not including lower league teams or junior teams( or at least that is how I took his post) IN MOST CASES they support teams like Manure, Cheski Huns or Tims. This is the point being made.

Denny Crane
:sobored:

QUOTE:

By supporting two teams they are glory hunters. In most cases their other team.

The origional poster was not including lower league teams or junior teams( or at least that is how I took his post) IN MOST CASES they support teams like Manure, Cheski Huns or Tims. This is the point being made.

Personally speaking I refute the glory-hunting. The Liverpool connection came from having Mersey-based relatives and the fact that with Scotland being my other love, they had the trio of Dalglish, Souness & Hansen playing for them. Everton didn't have any players in the Scotland team at the time, so the decision was made.

Also, would a true gloryhunter have kept following Liverpool during Souness' spell as manager, or when things went pear-shaped for Evans and Houllier respectively? Or even during the ongoing title-less spell? They'd have jumped ship in an instant. I persevered like many others with Istanbul & all that being a reward for such patience.

Just as 98 was for many on JKB.

Sorry, but that is a crap comparison. We support Hearts because we choose to.

You are Scottish whether you like it or not. You can support them, or choose not to - but you are still Scottish.

I don't see how it's so bad, Gavsy. They're both football teams and both require a desire, a passion and a love towards them in order to support them. I'm not particularly patriotic anyway, but I'm not able to give those 3 things towards the national team, only to HMFC.

Before anybody starts, I don't support England or Holland etc either.

I choose to support Hearts, you're right, but even if I wanted to support Scotland, I couldn't bring myself to support a team that only plays 3/4 times a year.

Hearts Heritage

Theres quite a few of the London members have a second team like Leyton O or Fulham. They support them and go along to most home games. They are still their second team with Hearts being most definitely number one.

So you can support 2 teams but only 1 can be the true one in your heart.

Broxburn Jambo

I only support Hearts but I do sometimes enjoy other teams football, but I would pick a Hearts v Montrose on a cold winters night before any other game CL or whatever

Bootboy100

First and foremost I am a Hearts supporter and they are my team and priority. However I also like Chelsea and have done so since the 80's. I try and catch a Chelsea game at least once a season nowadays however if the two teams were to meet then I would only want one team to win..........the Mighty JT's!!!!

boy_in_maroon

I have supported Man Utd since the days of Law, Best, Charlton, Stiles, since early 68, as i did with the Hearts, watched them go up and down every. Hearts, hibs rangers or celtic fan in my dat at primary school had an english team as well as their scottish team, still wear my Man Utd top to-day and always will........

tommythejambo
Its not about "supporting" 2 teams though is it ?.

I am a Hearts supporter, always will be, S.T. holder for 22 years (bar 2 seasons).

Sorry if that makes me an inferior Hearts fan. :P

I'm the same but been a ST holder for 5 years. Also keep an eye on Arsenal because Dennis Bergkamp was one of my all time football heroes.

markletissier

COME ON YE SPURS!!!!

love hearts,

like spurs.

no contest who comes first, but i don't see what's wrong with having affection for another team outside this country.

Is this another one of those things that makes you less of a fan?

I support Hearts 100% in the sense that I go to every game, home and away, my whole weekend's ruined when we lose, etc.

I also look out for Chelsea's results and like to see them do well, although it doesn't bother me unduly if they don't.

I couldn't care less about Scotland, or any international team for that matter. International football bores me silly.

If that makes me less of a fan than Ardmillan Diehard or any of the rest of you, fair enough. I'll just have to live with that.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
I don't see how it's so bad, Gavsy. They're both football teams and both require a desire, a passion and a love towards them in order to support them. I'm not particularly patriotic anyway, but I'm not able to give those 3 things towards the national team, only to HMFC.

Before anybody starts, I don't support England or Holland etc either.

I choose to support Hearts, you're right, but even if I wanted to support Scotland, I couldn't bring myself to support a team that only plays 3/4 times a year.

Fair enough.

I'll support Scotland at any sport, and also any Scot that competes in any sport - even Andy feckin Murray.

:)

crazy_jambo_2006

I don't understand how any Scotsman can say "Scotland are nothing to" them. Ditto any Frenchman saying "France mean nothing". Or Englishman saying that about England. Where's your passion, patriotism etc?

People can support more than 1 team. Scotland are my country. Enough said. They mean more to me than any club. Hearts are obv my club (s ticket etc). But Scotland is more important to me. Man Utd are obv also very important to me.

I don't understand how any Scotsman can say "Scotland are nothing to" them. Ditto any Frenchman saying "France mean nothing". Or Englishman saying that about England. Where's your passion, patriotism etc?

I've got lots of passion, cheers, but absolutely no patriotism (for Scotland at least).

Being proud of your nation of birth isn't actually an obligation, y'know.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
I've got lots of passion, cheers, but absolutely no patriotism (for Scotland at least).

Being proud of your nation of birth isn't actually an obligation, y'know.

I'm proud to be from my planet of birth.

:)

I find that quite sinister. It's only a short step from being proud of the planet that you come from to hating people from other planets.

itsnomarooned

How do you know they weren't actually Man U or Chealsea fans?

itsnomarooned

So if you moved to Australia you would cease to be a fan 'cos you couldn't attend games?!

Pete Seeger

I only have 1 team and thats Hearts. I like to see Man City do well but i wouldn't say i was a supporter. Don't get the chance when i follow Hearts every week. And I wouldn't change it for anything.

jambojim52
I find that quite sinister. It's only a short step from being proud of the planet that you come from to hating people from other planets.

Fans of Chelski ,Manure ,rankers and celtic ARE from another planet, that is why I hate them.

Get on planet Earth.

What does it matter what teams you support? Does it make you any less of a Hearts fan if you also support an English/European team? Does it hell.

I support Hearts, Scotland and Liverpool. Hearts season ticket holder for six years now (i think). But have always liked Liverpool since seeing them play in the 94 Coca Cola Cup final. I was only 7 at the time and cannot call me a glory hunter as it wasnt until 2001 until they won another trophy. Also love going to cheer on Scotland.

If it came down to a European game involving both Hearts and Liverpool then it would be great. And without doubt Id be cheering on the famous Edinburgh club.

I dont see how it bothers some people so much what team/s they support.

Denny Crane
What does it matter what teams you support? Does it make you any less of a Hearts fan if you also support an English/European team? Does it hell.

I support Hearts, Scotland and Liverpool. Hearts season ticket holder for six years now (i think). But have always liked Liverpool since seeing them play in the 94 Coca Cola Cup final. I was only 7 at the time and cannot call me a glory hunter as it wasnt until 2001 until they won another trophy. Also love going to cheer on Scotland.

If it came down to a European game involving both Hearts and Liverpool then it would be great. And without doubt Id be cheering on the famous Edinburgh club.

Like your taste in teams mate. However, the final you refer to took place in 95 - won of course by two superb solo goals from McManaman. The 94 one was the hilarious treat that was the Mancs giving Aston Villa a good going over and STILL lost the match 3-1.

Csaba's Broon Shoes
How do you know they weren't actually Man U or Chealsea fans?

They would have been at the game , European Cup Final , it does not get

any bigger in club football , otherwise these top wearers would have been

in the pubs of London and Manchester

These people in question had thick Edinburghian accents drinking strong

lager and smoking tabs

We all know Man U and Chelsea fans drink shandy and talk funny

Who cares about the EPL anyway

Denny Crane
They would have been at the game , European Cup Final , it does not get

any bigger in club football

Maybe they couldn't get a ticket or did not have the 1500 sovs that many were spending to get to Moscow and back.

I don't see the problem with supporting two sides.

I support Everton down South, doesn't effect me the same way when they have a bad season but I still like to see them do well and try to make the odd game if I can.

Don't get the folk who can't be bothered supporting Scotland, it doesn't clash with club football!

John Findlay

I support two teams with unadulterated passion. Heart of Midlothian and Scotland.

Heart of Midlothian for the simple fact I am an Edinburgher born and bred.

If my grandad Dickson had taken me to football I could have been a Hibs supporter but, lucky for me my father took me to the football and I became a Jamtart(we were called that long before the word Jambo became the norm).

Due to being born in Edinburgh the capital of a country called Scotland my national football team is Scotland and always will be.

Now I lived in Portsmouth for nigh on twenty six years and as they were the local team I attended their matches frequently from their days in the old English fourth division to them now playing in the English Premiership(but which to me will always be the first division as in the same way I see the SPL as the Scottish first division).

My children are Portmuthians born and bred and both are Portsmouth fanatics in the same way I am a Hearts fanatics and both are England fanatics in the same way I am a Scotland fanatic as both are English born and bred.

Now if either had excelled at sport they would due to the rules nowadays been eligible to have played for either England or Scotland. Both however would have chosen England as they regarded themselves English with a Scots father. I have no problem with that. As I tell them often if they had been representing England and playing against Scotland. I would wish them a good game but would always want Scotland to win.

I was chuffed Portsmouth won the FA Cup as I knew what it meant to my ex-wife and my two children. However my personal feelings came nowhere near as they were when Hearts won the Scottish cup in both 1998 and 2006.

I was slagged merciliess both in 1996 and 1999 when England beat Scotland in Euro96 and the Euro2000 qualifier. As a work colleague at IBM in 1999 remarked to me wouldnt I rather be English as they won. To which I replied I will keep taking the defeats thank you very much.

John

MacDonald Jardine
This was the situation at my school too, my primary school mate was born in Stockport and got me to support Man U against Crystal Palace in the FA Cup final when I was 9, followed them ever since, and as another poster states, they are never going to meet and if one day they do in Europe it will be Hearts.

I think the older generation 35+ don't do this as there wasn't as much promotion of the English league in the 70's or 80's, or as much coverage. I love watching the English league and don't think I would enjoy it as much if I didn't have a team in it, in fact I struggle to think when I have watched any game that I have't rooted for one team or another for varying reasons.

Yes they do you cheeky young *******.

We had TV and everything

Spellczech

I think you have an interest or follow results of another team but you can only have one team. I?ve had STs at Fulham and Bayern Munich and I still like Bayern (though I hate Fulham - no atmosphere Craven Cottage). However, the key for me is:

If Hearts were to play any "second team" who would I support - Always the Jambos!

You definitely cannot have a second team in the same league - that is just a nonsense.

Arthur Morgan

Totally agree with you there ecjambo you can support any english/european team you want and to be honest i couldn't care what other people say about it. When man utd won last night i celebrated just as much as i would if hearts had won a game. But hearts will always come first.

Hmmm....

Hearts and Fulham. Which one is my glory team?!? :confused:

Archived