Health Nazis want to make it harder to buy cigarettes

CompleteIdiot

CompleteIdiot
Public Health Minister Shona Robison will outline plans to make cigarettes less accessible and less affordable.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7412509.stm

I can't really see much point in staying in the UK. It's full of anti-libertarian fascists trying to spy on us all the time and ban things. If they can't ban it, they make it more expensive.

I saw Newsnight the other night where there were Health Nazis saying that alcohol in Scotland should be made hugely expensive too. Do these people have nothing better to do other than nanny and interfere?

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Public Health Minister Shona Robison will outline plans to make cigarettes less accessible and less affordable.

WHAT A LOT OF PONY :mad:

CompleteIdiot
In what way exactly does this make it 'harder' to buy cigarettes?

I suspect it is something like the permit plan being considered.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7247470.stm

Smokers would have to pay for a permit and wear a Star of David so people could identify them as sub-human smokers (okay I made the last bit up).

Ray Winstone

IMHO the smoking ban was far enough.

I never minded people smoking around me but on the plus side moving it outside meant decreased risk of passive smoking and your clothes didnt reek when you got home!

But surely that is far enough.

If you are going to make it harder to smoke, where does it stop?

Next they will target alcohol.

CompleteIdiot
IMHO the smoking ban was far enough.

I never minded people smoking around me but on the plus side moving it outside meant decreased risk of passive smoking and your clothes didnt reek when you got home!

But surely that is far enough.

If you are going to make it harder to smoke, where does it stop?

Next they will target alcohol.

They are targeting alcohol. SNP interferer Kenny McAskill wants to make it really difficult and expensive for adults to buy alcohol.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6979503.stm

I suspect it is something like the permit plan being considered.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7247470.stm

Smokers would have to pay for a permit and wear a Star of David so people could identify them as sub-human smokers (okay I made the last bit up).

That was a silly proposal, but to be honest I haven't heard anything of this since it was in the news in February.

The article you posted in the original post is just about removing tobacco displays from shops, and I fail to see how this makes it harder to buy cigarettes. It's no difference from when they banned ciggy advertising. It will not harm anyone.

Boaby Ewing

I can't really see much point in staying in the UK. It's full of anti-libertarian fascists trying to spy on us all the time and ban things. If they can't ban it, they make it more expensive.

I saw Newsnight the other night where there were Health Nazis saying that alcohol in Scotland should be made hugely expensive too. Do these people have nothing better to do other than nanny and interfere?

Funnily enough, the cigs I buy aren't on display... and they're cheaper ;)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Good.

I hope they keep clamping down on smokers.

One day it will be illegal with any luck.:)

Good.

I hope they keep clamping down on smokers.

One day it will be illegal with any luck.:)

Agreed.

Boaby Ewing
Agreed.

Why does people smoking outside offend you so much?

And don't give me any pish about cost to the taxpayer. If that was the case, why don't we just shoot the poor?

Surely the point of not putting them on display is to stop kids becoming smokers.

Those adults who currently smoke can still get their cigarettes because they know what they want.

I dont smoke BUT I certainly dont want the government telling me I couldnt if I so choose. I agree with the OP in so far as that Britain is such a feckin nanny state.

They want to ban cut price booze in supermarkets.

Stop us buying powerful cars

Stop us buying fags

Basically stop us having any fun! **** them.

Also, people who say things like "i hope they ban smoking" etc etc. Dont you folk have any vices? Drinking? Gambling? Or do you all just go around tut tutting at folk all day long?

Why does people smoking outside offend you so much?

And don't give me any pish about cost to the taxpayer. If that was the case, why don't we just shoot the poor?

After about 20 years of smoking, i've been clean now for 1 week short of 3 months.

I'm an ex-smoker.

Like everyone always says, there's nothing worse.

I dont smoke BUT I certainly dont want the government telling me I couldnt if I so choose. I agree with the OP in so far as that Britain is such a feckin nanny state.

They want to ban cut price booze in supermarkets.

Stop us buying powerful cars

Stop us buying fags

Basically stop us having any fun! **** them.

Also, people who say things like "i hope they ban smoking" etc etc. Dont you folk have any vices? Drinking? Gambling? Or do you all just go around tut tutting at folk all day long?

Legalise smack then?

It's proven that if Cigarettes are on display kids are more likely to take up smoking.

It also effects those who are trying to quit, and can lead to impulse buying.

I welcome a clamp down. Cost is proven to be a majory factor in regards to people buying cigarretes.

John Findlay

I have to confess it smacks of we cant trust people to make their own minds up. If that is the case then it is proof the country is going to the dogs in that parents and the schools are no longer educating their children to a high enough standard that they can think and determine things for themselves.

John

Legalise smack then?

It would stop drug dealers making fortunes. Lets legalise everything.

on a serious note, I understand your sentiment but taking it to the extreme is a bit pedantic on your part. The effects of Heroin v cigarettes. Its hardly the same.

They are just complete cowards. If cigarettes are so bad then why not ban them outright and take the fallout. Same goes for the higher taxes on alcohol. It's nothing to do with caring for the populace it's simply money grabbing measures.

After about 20 years of smoking, i've been clean now for 1 week short of 3 months.

I'm an ex-smoker.

I don't follow. I'm a non-smoker and now the smoking ban is in place I rarely have someone smoking anywhere near me.

They are targeting alcohol. SNP interferer Kenny McAskill wants to make it really difficult and expensive for adults to buy alcohol.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6979503.stm

The same Kenny McAskill who previously organised Tartan Army bus trips where soberness was certainly the exception to the rule.

Is there a politician who isn't a complete hypocrite?

I can't really see much point in staying in the UK. .

If you decide to move do not consider B.C. we have gone anti smokinhg berserk. I am a non smoker, do not like the smell anymore, but being a reformed smoker have some empathy with those who do. We first created a requirement for bars etc to have a smoking area, that is now being amplified to no areas either, hence no smoking anywhere in these premises.

Now when smokers go outside to smoke they must be 9 metres from any doors.

Our provincial government is at present suing major tobacco companies. But the kicker of hypocrisy is that they have tax payers money, $375.000.000 invested where, you're right tobacco stocks.

Boaby Ewing

I'm an ex-smoker.

Ha, fair enough - good luck with it. 3 days, 3 weeks and 3 months are meant to be the toughest hurdles. Just one last to clear.

I have not had a cigarette for 11 months and 21 days. I feel so much better for it.

But for you smokers they aint going to get any better.

fatal-lung-cancer.jpg

:jambobanana::jambobanana::jambobanana:

hmfc_steve

I can't really see much point in staying in the UK. .

If you decide to move do not consider B.C. we have gone anti smokinhg berserk. I am a non smoker' date=' do not like the smell anymore, but being a reformed smoker have some empathy with those who do. We first created a requirement for bars etc to have a smoking area, that is now being amplified to no areas either, hence no smoking anywhere in these premises.

Now when smokers go outside to smoke they must be 9 metres from any doors.

Our provincial government is at present suing major tobacco companies. But the kicker of hypocrisy is that they have tax payers money, $375.000.000 invested where, you're right tobacco stocks.[/quote']

... do the smoking police go around armed with a tape measure ?

the whole situation is a joke....

the biggest known vice killer and destroyer of families is alcohol .... that banned ?

fumes from traffic and industry.... how many lives ?

I could go on and on at all the injustices in the world.... but what's the point

... think I'll just go for a fag !

CompleteIdiot
I have to confess it smacks of we cant trust people to make their own minds up. If that is the case then it is proof the country is going to the dogs in that parents and the schools are no longer educating their children to a high enough standard that they can think and determine things for themselves.

John

I think you make a good point. The nanny state seems like the imposition of a pseudo-moral code with no actual morals behind it.

The logic seems skewed to me. You could have a smoker that takes care of his family, teaches his children right from wrong, works hard and tries to help people whenever he can. The only thing that matters in the new skewed moral code is whether he is a smoker or not - not whether he is a decent human being.

CompleteIdiot
It's proven that if Cigarettes are on display kids are more likely to take up smoking.

It also effects those who are trying to quit, and can lead to impulse buying.

I welcome a clamp down. Cost is proven to be a majory factor in regards to people buying cigarretes.

Would you care to back up your points with any evidence?

Your second point is ultra-simplistic. Should food be kept under the counter in case fat people on diets decide to impulse eat? What about alcohol? Is that to be under the counter too in case a reformed alcoholic impulse buys?

You have bought into the nanny state.

CompleteIdiot
I have not had a cigarette for 11 months and 21 days. I feel so much better for it.

But for you smokers they aint going to get any better.

fatal-lung-cancer.jpg

:jambobanana::jambobanana::jambobanana:

Your avatar is encouraging kids to smoke. Are you pleased with yourself? I have heard about kids that have seen your avatar on Kickback and now have a 40 a day habit. They consequently moved on to chasing the dragon.

Ban avatars!

CompleteIdiot
Funnily enough, the cigs I buy aren't on display... and they're cheaper ;)

I just brought back 3,000 from Spain. ;)

Your avatar is encouraging kids to smoke. Are you pleased with yourself? I have heard about kids that have seen your avatar on Kickback and now have a 40 a day habit. They consequently moved on to chasing the dragon.

Ban avatars!

I dont care if you or anybody else smokes, it is your/their choice. I have stopped and am glad about it.

Smoking kills folks.

Smoking-Kills-Photographic-Print-C10223322.jpeg

Britain will be an interesting place in 100 years, that's for sure.

Anybody caught smoking is given a mandatory 1-year sentence.

Everyday someone is convicted of peadophilia for looking in the direction of a child.

Groups of Neds beat and kill harmless individuals everyday and get 6-months probation.

The legal abortion time is cut to half an hour after sex.

The laws on Cannibis will have been changed 50 different times but it'll still be illegal.

CompleteIdiot
I dont care if you or anybody else smokes, it is your/their choice. I have stopped and am glad about it.

Smoking kills folks.

Smoking-Kills-Photographic-Print-C10223322.jpeg

fakefags.jpg

Ban avatars!

Ha Ha Just noticed you still have the Annuit C?ptis Avatar.

It is all a conspiracy folks by Complete Idiot on behalf of the "New Order".

Indoctrination of Masonic extreme right wing ideals to take over the world. :dribble:

CompleteIdiot
Ha Ha Just noticed you still have the Annuit C?ptis Avatar.

It is all a conspiracy folks by Complete Idiot on behalf of the "New Order".

Indoctrination of Masonic extreme right wing ideals to take over the world. :dribble:

;)

I dont see this quote in the article you provided?

I don't follow. I'm a non-smoker and now the smoking ban is in place I rarely have someone smoking anywhere near me.

It's not that i'm near smokers anymore.

It's because i'm now a zealot.;)

Ha, fair enough - good luck with it. 3 days, 3 weeks and 3 months are meant to be the toughest hurdles. Just one last to clear.

Cheers Dave.

I stopped enjoying smoking years ago and had tried to stop, without success, many many times.

I'm taking nothing for granted though, this time around.

I firmly believe that once a smoker - always a smoker, regardless when your last cigarette was.

I just brought back 3,000 from Spain. ;)

just finished my american duty free a few days ago, care to share?

;)

coppercrutch

;)

I used to think most of these conspiracies were nonsense.

But then I learned about things like the Council of Foreign relations, BIS and what the FED is.

Thing is I would be surprised if 5% of the UK population have even heard of BIS and the CFR. And yet these organisations have a huge impact on the everyday lives of most people in this World.

Considering this - the idea that there may be a small group of powerful people meeting in smoky rooms deciding on a 'New World Order' and what war to start next ?

Does not sound so crazy after all...:eek:

CompleteIdiot
just finished my american duty free a few days ago, care to share?

;)

I thought you had given up? :P

BBC articles change over time. It was in the version I originally read.

I can prove this as the search on Google still shows it:

http://tinyurl.com/6j8uz7

You can see some of the changes the BBC have made here:

http://www.newssniffer.co.uk/articles/124965/diff/1/2

Ah OK so it's a BBC error; they probably just made it up hence why they changed it ....... ;)

CompleteIdiot
I used to think most of these conspiracies were nonsense.

But then I learned about things like the Council of Foreign relations, BIS and what the FED is.

Thing is I would be surprised if 5% of the UK population have even heard of BIS and the CFR. And yet these organisations have a huge impact on the everyday lives of most people in this World.

Considering this - the idea that there may be a small group of powerful people meeting in smoky rooms deciding on a 'New World Order' and what war to start next ?

Does not sound so crazy after all...:eek:

JFK thought so. This speech set out his views on the subject. I suppose that makes this late great former President a 'conspiracy theorist'?

Archived