Johann Lamont to resign

ritchies75

Possibly the worst leader of any political party I have ever seen. Good riddance.

Thought they couldn't possibly do any worse than Iain Gray, but they managed it.

Who's next then? Murphy must be a strong candidate, given his extended leadership campaign tour of a month ago!

Johann Lamont: "The Labour Party is a family. It is my family. It should be led by someone who knows how to treat family members." So sticking the boot in to Miliband as she goes

be fair now, gray was utterly appalling. Lamont was merely aspiring for mediocre and parochial.

who next though?

Guest Trapper John

Good riddance. An absolute embarrassment of a leader.

I just hope this signals that Labour in Scotland realise the task they have and overhaul the party completely. The Shortie Parliament is so bad even Gordon Brown would improve it. Will he come back? Who knows. If he does, things will may suddenly become interesting. He was always better in Opposition or knifing his leader in the back while in power. Could be fun.

Unless they parachute someone in from Westminster (unlikely as they obviously can't stand to become an MSP for another 18 months) then I can only really see her replacement being either Kezia Dugdale or Ken MacIntosh. They're both a step up from Lamont but I'm not sure either are exactly what Labour need to take them forward.

She campaigned to keep Scotland under Westminster rule...and resigns because Westminster interference in Scotland. Thats definition of ironic.

Guest Trapper John

She campaigned to keep Scotland under Westminster rule...and resigns because Westminster interference in Scotland. Thats definition of ironic.

Her cards were marked after that debate fiasco with Screechy Sturgeon. Terrible.

There is a distinct smell of Gordon Broonie about this. Maybe the old bugger is pulling the strings again.

Unless they parachute someone in from Westminster (unlikely as they obviously can't stand to become an MSP for another 18 months) then I can only really see her replacement being either Kezia Dugdale or Ken MacIntosh. They're both a step up from Lamont but I'm not sure either are exactly what Labour need to take them forward.

If not Mr Brown, jackie bailie?

Guest Trapper John

Another lightweight. I don't think so and.. ahem...image was a problem for wee Johann if you catch my drift.

I think a big hitter is on the way.

They are worried.

Not a chance. She'd be nearly as bad as Lamont she also has quite a small majority in her constituency so could potentially be unseated if there was a half decent swing to the SNP.

Psychedelicropcircle

Shame I was so looking forward to May 15 under her so called leadership.

jambos are go!

An intelligent Woman with a real social conscience undermined by male dominated boils of the backside of Scottish opinion. From all sides.

An intelligent Woman with a real social conscience undermined by male dominated boils of the backside of Scottish opinion. From all sides.

Looks like she only found her conscience in the last few hours, as per usual.

For someone in public office her teeth (or lack of them) were a bloody disgrace. :bucktooth:

:spoton:

Miles out her depth, her screeching match with Sturgeon about who was first in the bingo queue should have had her put out to pasture there and then.

Really?

Intellegent? That certainly is not the impression I got from her public speaking. She often came across as if reading from script, then became lost and confused when someone questioned that script.

Social conscience? standing shoulder to shoulder with the tories, the party of austerity, in the referendum to oppose the one real opportunity her country had at proper democracy, battling inequality and positive social reform.

What tickles me most about her decision to leave is that she has blamed it on interference from London. After a couple years of arguing in favour of interference from London.

Stick whoever they want at the head of Westminster Labour (Scottish division). Matters not a jot. They're finished here.

Really?

Intellegent? That certainly is not the impression I got from her public speaking. She often came across as if reading from script, then became lost and confused when someone questioned that script.

Social conscience? standing shoulder to shoulder with the tories, the party of austerity, in the referendum to oppose the one real opportunity her country had at proper democracy, battling inequality and positive social reform.

What tickles me most about her decision to leave is that she has blamed it on interference from London. After a couple years of arguing in favour of interference from London.

Lavrentiy Beria

The Rat escapes the sinking ship which is Scottish Labour pity she couldn't take the rest with her.

She's away to haunt hooses and pose for city baker halloween cakes. Murphy won't be the next leader, there's not enough expenses in it.

The Real Maroonblood

The Rat escapes the sinking ship which is Scottish Labour pity she couldn't take the rest with her.

Very much this.

MacDonald Jardine

Really?

Aye okay, Nobody who voted no has a social conscience.

Remember during the indy ref her and Milliband talking to people on the street when someone asked them about Trident and why are they supporting it, Milliband just shuffled off Lamont stood there shell shocked and mumbled something and then buggered off. I really hope the Labour party in Scotland crash and burn at the next election but I suspect they wont, people will still line up to vote for the monkey with the red rossett on. It is my opinion that New Labour are a complete shambles and other fringe parties will benefit, how that will effect any results we will have to wait and see.

Step forward Kezia Dugdale. Intelligent and behaved with far more maturity than Sturgeon or Lamont during the referendum debates.

Step forward Kezia Dugdale. Intelligent and behaved with far more maturity than Sturgeon or Lamont during the referendum debates.

:lol:

What gives us the right to slate her?

I mean, are we even genetically engineered to do so??

indeed we are not according to her.

She's away to haunt hooses and pose for city baker halloween cakes. Murphy won't be the next leader, there's not enough expenses in it.

Talking of expenses. I see Salmond claimed ?116k last year.

Psychedelicropcircle

Let's turn a thread of poor labour into an SNP sniping session ^^^^^^^^^

Talking of expenses. I see Salmond claimed ?116k last year

Murphy ?200,000. Salmonds First Minister, so whats your point caller?

Murphy ?200,000. Salmonds First Minister, so whats your point caller?

That was his expenses as an mp making only 6 visits to Westminster.

Brown should stand. Boot Sarwar as deputy and have Dugdale or Marra doing FMQs until the election in 2016.

Psychedelicropcircle

Yes brown will do nicely.....we'll be as near to home rule in two years.....it's a tory trap don't give scots total tax powers.......I'll end boom and bust.....0.5/ 1 trillion (dependant on which paper you read) later pumped into banks....selling off the gold reserves...pension pot raided......shall I go on.....

A vile person who equated opponents as a "virus" and sneered at anyone who had the temerity to voice a different opinion. Deliberately cut adrift by London months before the referendum. Still you have to imagine SLAB have learned their lesson and will hire someone based on political nous and not their ability to ooze hate for the SNP out of every single pore.

Or maybe not.

MacDonald Jardine
Yes brown will do nicely.....we'll be as near to home rule in two years.....it's a tory trap don't give scots total tax powers.......I'll end boom and bust.....0.5/ 1 trillion (dependant on which paper you read) later pumped into banks....selling off the gold reserves...pension pot raided......shall I go on.....

You could start with a coherent sentence.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Reading into this it's clear she's stood down for two reasons:

1. Constant sniping behind her back from Labour HQ.

2. She wants the party to have a debate over it's soul and direction and she's a block to that as leader.

If Henry McLeish fancies coming in from the cold that would be excellent. His insight into all things Scottish Labour and the party's direction is needed a lot at the moment.

There's two options being pushed:

1. Brown or Murphy or Alexander return to take on the leadership and rebuild.

2. Sarwar and Dugdale on a joint ticket with Sarwar being leader and the bridge between the UK and Welsh parties and the Scottish one with Dugdale leading the show at Holyrood in the run up to 2016.

Out of the two I'd love to see Dugdale progress upwards in the party and she will be an asset in the future. But

Alexander, Murphy or Brown would be better leaders to take on the SNP than Sarwar. So it's 50/50.

What needs to happen, and I've increasingly came of this view, is Scottish Labour needs to become an autonomous party within the UK Labour movement. The Co-operative party works well in this regard and it's a pattern seen across Western Europe in nations like the UK with various sub-national tiers of government having autonomous parties which group at a national or federal level.

I don't know of any of the candidates would be so bold.

Reading into this it's clear she's stood down for two reasons:

1. Constant sniping behind her back from Labour HQ.

2. She wants the party to have a debate over it's soul and direction and she's a block to that as leader.

If Henry McLeish fancies coming in from the cold that would be excellent. His insight into all things Scottish Labour and the party's direction is needed a lot at the moment.

There's two options being pushed:

1. Brown or Murphy or Alexander return to take on the leadership and rebuild.

2. Sarwar and Dugdale on a joint ticket with Sarwar being leader and the bridge between the UK and Welsh parties and the Scottish one with Dugdale leading the show at Holyrood in the run up to 2016.

Out of the two I'd love to see Dugdale progress upwards in the party and she will be an asset in the future. But

Alexander, Murphy or Brown would be better leaders to take on the SNP than Sarwar. So it's 50/50.

What needs to happen, and I've increasingly came of this view, is Scottish Labour needs to become an autonomous party within the UK Labour movement. The Co-operative party works well in this regard and it's a pattern seen across Western Europe in nations like the UK with various sub-national tiers of government having autonomous parties which group at a national or federal level.

I don't know of any of the candidates would be so bold.

Scottish Labour should go for something like the CSU in bavaria and their relationship with the CDU.

But by doing so it shows that they aren't, dare I say, Better Together.

Archived