Tall speaks out on Romaonv

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Ibrahim-Tall-Romanov-acts-like.4104187.jp

IBRAHIM TALL has spoken candidly for the first time about his treatment at the hands of Vladimir Romanov.

The defender returned to his home in Paris last week at the end of his Hearts contract. Whilst retaining fond memories of the club, he explained how Romanov left him embittered by his dictatorial methods.

The majority shareholder ordered Stephen Frail, Hearts' interim manager, not to play Tall during the second half of this season.

The Frenchman had refused the offer of a contract extension on reduced terms and therefore became subject to exclusion from the team at Romanov's request. He appeared only once at first-team level following the defeat at Falkirk on December 29 last year. Despite finding the process disturbing, he maintained a dignified silence on the issue until severing his ties with Hearts.

Tall spoke exclusively to the Evening News to reveal the extent of Romanov's ruthlessness during negotiations and subsequent interference in team matters.

His three-year, ?10,000-a-week contract was sanctioned in 2005 against the wishes of Hearts' then-manager George Burley, so keen was Romanov to have the Senegalese internationalist involved in his Tynecastle revolution. However, when a proposed extension was rejected earlier this year, the owner's mindset altered.

"When we were to talk about a new contract I was open to discuss it with Mr Romanov, but he told my agent he would give me one offer and if I didn't sign I would never play again," said Tall.

"I was hoping to talk normally but with him it's like a dictator. You have to do what he says.

"He offered me less money, but the problem wasn't money, it was the way he spoke.

"I think it was very arrogant. It was a problem because I would not sign the new contract so Mr Romanov said to Stephen Frail not to put me in the team. I knew I wouldn't play after that and it was difficult."

In that sense, the 26-year-old's Hearts career petered out in similar fashion to the way it began, inconspicuously. Eight months lapsed between him arriving in Edinburgh from the French club Sochaux and his first-team debut, as first Burley, then Graham Rix, deemed him not good enough for Tynecastle. Romanov required to sack both managers and place Valdas Ivanauskas in temporary charge before he could facilitate Tall's promotion.

The defender's case was helped, ironically, when Romanov banished Andy Webster from the team following a contract wrangle with the Scotland internationalist and his agent in spring 2006.

The acrimony surrounding Tall's departure means that, for varying reasons, he was considered "unselectable" for a full year in total at Hearts.

He stressed that several players had received similar unethical treatment to that which tainted his final five months in Edinburgh. "My situation was like Julien's (Brellier]. But it's not only him, I think a lot of players have gone through this," he said.

"Hearts is a very good club, the people who love the club work very hard and they are nice people. But the owner, I don't think he does his job well.

"He did many bad things to me. A lot of players were happy there but they didn't stay because of Mr Romanov."

Tall managed to etch his name in Hearts folklore by helping the club win the 2006 Scottish Cup and enter the Champions League qualifying rounds for the first time.

He is now seeking a new club in France's Ligue 1 for next season. Waiting by the telephone in his Parisian residence, he has time to ponder some poignant memories from Scotland.

"I have a lot of good thoughts and a lot of bad ones.

"I don't forget the tough times," he continued. "I remember my first year at Hearts. I waited about eight months to play.

"That was difficult but after that I had good experiences.

"Beating Aberdeen to qualify for the Champions League was a great memory, as was winning the Scottish Cup.

"I played a lot more first-team games in my second season, which was better for me.

"I started this season well and was playing well for the first five months. I thought everything was okay but then I got injured in December and played only one game after that because of the contract situation.

"The Scottish Cup final was the best memory. You play football to win trophies and the fans were fantastic that day, right behind the team. I don't know if it was the biggest day of my career because I won the League Cup in France, but after the match being with the supporters was the best feeling in my career."

Tall had an inkling to return to France, where he was born to Senegalese parents, for family reasons. He watched Hearts undergo a moderate transformation earlier this year when Frail was appointed caretaker manager but believes Romanov's managerial rotation policy has undermined the efforts of everyone at the club.

"Mr Romanov must not change the manager all the time, it's not good for the team.

"This season was bad for us and results were not good enough, but things improved when Shaggy took over.

"I hope Mr Romanov keeps him and brings in two or three good players because this is what the team needs.

" Some new players with good quality will improve results for next season. "Shaggy taking the team from January was a good idea, he loves the club and works very hard for the club.

"I hope he can continue with Hearts because all the players like him and want to work hard for him.

"I had mixed memories from my time in Scotland but that's in the past and I'm looking forward.

"The French league season is finished now and clubs will start to talk to players about next season.

"I haven't heard any more from Strasbourg, they were interested before but they are relegated now. I would prefer to stay in Ligue 1. I'm at home in Paris and waiting for the telephone to ring."

Quelle surprise. Not.

?10k per week. But he wasn't insulted by a lower offer , just Vlad.:confused:

Chad Sexington

A decent enough defender but putting him on 10k a week was insanity.

I wonder how much that 10k a week totals up to?

After the way Tall was treated by Vlad he was always going to dish the dirt at some stage.

Another PR triumph from Romanov. :sad:

Good riddance to the slimey Tahll. Judas bassa.

:cheese:

Glad to see the back of the wheasel.

Ray Winstone

Obviously engineered his move from the club.

Judas chest thumping bassa.

Booooooooo Tall!

Thought Tall was the sharpest and most capable defender at the club after Webster was frozen out - if played as centre-back, that is, and not alongside Goncalves! He could have established an excellent partnership with Berra in the long term.

?10,000 a week sounds like a lot. But we apparently have that kind of cash to splash on liabilities like Pinilla, who never plays, and Kingston, who plays but doesn't produce. I'm sorry to see Tall go.

loveofthegame
I thought he was our best defender. Good luck Ibrahim.

Not half the defender Berra is. Clearly wasn't rated by Burley whose opinion i rate higher than yours. Not bad but not even close to being worth ?10k a week. Won't miss him

chester copperpot
Not half the defender Berra is. Clearly wasn't rated by Burley whose opinion i rate higher than yours. Not bad but not even close to being worth ?10k a week. Won't miss him

Exhactly.

Slimhey Chellick Bhassa.

Gerd Muller

He was a very good defender. I rate tall. When he first played, he was fantastic, winning every ball in the air. However many players are coming out and explaining that the way Romanov treats them.

Why could we not have offered Tall in January an extra one year on his contract and then sell him this summer to a French team. At least we would have made money on Tall because he is defiantly worth ?500k.

Walter Bishop

Ibri was a good player and probably our best defender, Once again Vlad shows he does not give a s*** about the future of HMFC.

Ray Winstone
He was a very good defender. I rate tall. When he first played, he was fantastic, winning every ball in the air. However many players are coming out and explaining that the way Romanov treats them.

Why could we not have offered Tall in January an extra one year on his contract and then sell him this summer to a French team. At least we would have made money on Tall because he is defiantly worth ?500k.

Scouts were looking at him at the beginning of the season and none decided to put in a bid worth accepting - maybe he was not good enough?

Either that or Romanov priced him out the market.

Thought Tall was the sharpest and most capable defender at the club after Webster was frozen out - if played as centre-back, that is, and not alongside Goncalves! He could have established an excellent partnership with Berra in the long term.

?10,000 a week sounds like a lot. But we apparently have that kind of cash to splash on liabilities like Pinilla, who never plays, and Kingston, who plays but doesn't produce. I'm sorry to see Tall go.

ditto

Rawrrrrrrr

The Tall situation was always a strange one

He was signed in that summer and behind janny and fyssas to me was the 3rd most exciting signing, he had a reputation and had turned down bigger clubs - albeit for money reasons.

He then came in and basically didnt give a stuff - I heard from someone who witnessed it - that the boot camp lot would regularly stay up in the hotel bar were we put them up and drink and generally take the **** out of the club

However when he finally made his debut he showed us once in position what he had, he maybe benefited from the webster situation but Ibby was a cultured centre half and Im quite saddened we let him go as we surely could have kept him on less money

The fact yet another player has ripped into romanov just makes our club more of a joke

What do people see in Berra? If the proper players are bought during the summer, he shouldn't be our first choice centre back, never mind captain.

Gerd Muller
Scouts were looking at him at the beginning of the season and none decided to put in a bid worth accepting - maybe he was not good enough?

Either that or Romanov priced him out the market.

Surely Tall playing in the first team is more beneficial than sitting him in the stands paying him ?10k a week. I'd have offered the same terms for one year, tell him if he wants away to France this summer, perform well and get the move.

Ray Winstone
No Vlad interference with your team selections after January Stevie????:confused:

I think we have all known that although he claims to have had full control of team selections - Vlad has told him the players he must not pick.

Either way Frail is full of *****.

No Vlad interference with your team selections after January Stevie????:confused:

Yep. So apart from at least half of the defence, and anything else we don't know about yet, there has been no interference since Frail started being completely responsible for team selection.

Ideal, really.

Dr. Bapswent

There is a big difference between someone not being picked as part of a contract dispute, than someone being told to include a player, or exclude a player for other reasons.

There is a big difference between someone not being picked as part of a contract dispute, than someone being told to include a player, or exclude a player for other reasons.

Is there a difference in terms of the impact on the team's chances and performances? Because the fans I know really only want to see a team that hasn't been hobbled from the outset and from within do its best to get a result.

Gerd Muller

There is a difference.

Tall has the ability to play central defence.

Zaliukas gets told to play and doesn't perform.

Guest GhostHunter
"Mr Romanov must not change the manager all the time, it's not good for the team.

Eh ?

Pretty sure we had the same "manager" for pretty much most of the season.

If VR told Fruppet not to play him, and Fruppet then told the press and fans he was in control of the team, what does that make Fruppet ?

Pah and Pfft.

A decent enough defender but putting him on 10k a week was insanity.

I wonder how much that 10k a week totals up to?

After the way Tall was treated by Vlad he was always going to dish the dirt at some stage.

Another PR triumph from Romanov. :sad:

I bet 'Shaggy' wishes that Tall had signed a confidentiality agreement because it's made him out to be the same type of two faced liar as the owners.

I lot of that report is blowing the situation well out of proportion. Tall was injured against Falkirk on Dec 29th, he was out for quite a while and didn't even start training again until early March. Then he was injured again in a reserve game against Falkirk, I know because I was there myself. He was then fit for both games against Falkirk and Dundee Utd, he probably should have played in these and I'd say this should be his biggest grievance. He then started in the one of the biggest games of the season away at Kilmarnock. We didn't make top 6 and there was little point in playing a player who wouldn't be hear next season in meaningless bottom six games. Add to that the fact that everybody knew Tall wouldn't be staying long before his December injury, but he still played every week, and it means I'm not entirely convinced by the merits of this story.

There were 7 games near the end of the season were he could have played but didn't, plus we all knew he wasn't playing because of his contract situation. Nobody really minded that with the final 5 games because we were all moaning at Frail to pick McGowan or Rapnik. No reason to panic on this one IMO.

EDIT: Plus Frail was honest enough to admit he was 'leaned on' to play Goncalves, why not mention this as well?

Dr. Bapswent
Is there a difference in terms of the impact on the team's chances and performances? Because the fans I know really only want to see a team that hasn't been hobbled from the outset and from within do its best to get a result.

No, the impact on the team is the same.

But the reasons behind it are different.

Ray Winstone
Eh ?

Pretty sure we had the same "manager" for pretty much most of the season.

If VR told Fruppet not to play him, and Fruppet then told the press and fans he was in control of the team, what does that make Fruppet ?

Pah and Pfft.

Was he not talking generally about the management situation over his 3 years at the club.

Burley, Rix, Ivanauskas, Malofeev, Ivanauskas, Korochkoba, Frail.

Did i miss any? (apart from Vlad obviously)

Can you explain what this big difference is in relation to the success of the team?? The owner says no, so the manager has no direct control, seems to me that this would be the case if the owner wanted to drop a player to put one in the shop window, still no control for the manager.

Also there are countless managers who do have control and continue to play players through to the end of the season even after they did not re sign their boards leave it up to them. They at least want success ,not failure like the money laundering **** that we have as an owner.

No, the impact on the team is the same.

But the reasons behind it are different.

The reasons behind it are different, I agree. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's acceptable or justifiable. There is more than one way to skin a cat, a lesson Romanov doesn't seem to have learned. His hard-ball tactics (and I fully believe Tall when he refers to Romanov as a dictator in matters contractual - this is not a one-off) usually end up with players being excluded to the detriment of the team's performances and, ultimately, league position. He is a past master at cutting off his nose to spite his face. Other clubs have financial and contractual wrangles with players without necessarily freezing them out.

Guest GhostHunter
Was he not talking generally about the management situation over his 3 years at the club.

Burley, Rix, Ivanauskas, Malofeev, Ivanauskas, Korochkoba, Frail.

Did i miss any? (apart from Vlad obviously)

Nope...

Though - having a "stable" manager in Fruppet for the last season where injuries aside, he featured, really makes his comment on "changing managers" pretty irrelevant.

I can see why he's pished off, though his interview really does smack of bitterness.

So ok.

Bitter ex-employee? Well richer employee who is now free to sign elsewhere, so - no

Engineering a move elsewhere? Free under contract so - no

Axe to grind? Well not played as much as he might have but played enough to show good form and not prejudice any future clubs thoughts about him so - no

No quotes, just rumour - er no

Contract excuse justification? Given a take it or leave it or your career at Hearts is over so - no.

What to glean?

Romanov is a bully who still has a material influence on team matters whether or not the contractual dispute is "manufactured" by his unrealistic negotiating position, and who clearly has no respect for his employees, and is a material factor in a lot of players who have left the club, wanting to leave the club.

Nothing we didnt "know" other than it has been factually confirmed by a player

I'm sure the interview will be ridiculed and Tall rounded upon, but then, this is JKB

Nothing much to see here though I guess

I liked Tall, eeven when most folk on here hated him, so I am sorry to seem him go and say what he has said, but he did do not bad out of us given his wage, though, yes, it still does not sound good PR wise.

However, I do not believe he turned the contract down becuase of attitude and not money - as Vlad's attitude probably was the same then. In addiiton he will not be the first owner to ask/demand a player is dropped for not signing a new contract, other owners/managers do too - including our beloved Jefferies, when Paul Ritchie made it clear he wanted to move on.

Depends if the dispute is manufactured as a result of an autocratic and unrealistic take it or leave it "negotiation"

Dr. Bapswent
The reasons behind it are different, I agree. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's acceptable or justifiable. There is more than one way to skin a cat, a lesson Romanov doesn't seem to have learned. His hard-ball tactics (and I fully believe Tall when he refers to Romanov as a dictator in matters contractual - this is not a one-off) usually end up with players being excluded to the detriment of the team's performances and, ultimately, league position. He is a past master at cutting off his nose to spite his face. Other clubs have financial and contractual wrangles with players without necessarily freezing players out.

I agree, I didnt say I thought it was an acceptable or justifiable way to do things.

But it is his way.

He only wants those who want to play for Hearts in the club. Those who dont, wont play.

I have a strange respect for that, but also worry about the way it disrupts the team and how is ostracises certain players.

I can see why he's pished off, though his interview really does smack of bitterness.

What precisely has he got to be bitter about?

marshallschunkychicken

How come the Evening News only ever texts me when the story is negative? :mad:

He only wants those who want to play for Hearts in the club. Those who dont, wont play.

Tall seems to suggest he did want to play for the club though

Guest JamboRobbo

Another judas to add to the list.

Shocking that he's so disrespectful to he who cannot be disrespected.

Off with his head.

Haagse Jambo

In the real world a contract is normally the result of several rounds of negotiations. In the HOM world it seems to be 'this is my first offer......oh and by the way it's also my final offer'. Can you imagine Rio Ferdinand sitting in the stands for the months it took to reach agreement ?

Dr. Bapswent
Tall seems to suggest he did want to play for the club though

Yes, but unfortunately VR seems to have said, 'if you dont sign you dont play' - getting his back up, before he could even think about it.

Although Vlad restricted SF's choice of players for team selection, at least we are not hearing about bloody fax machines and preordained substitutions since January !

I liked Ibby and rechon he was our best defender although Rix once said that he had a bad attitude problem which needed to be 'sorted out'.

Pants Shaton
Yes, but unfortunately VR seems to have said, 'if you dont sign you dont play' - getting his back up, before he could even think about it.

I can imagine what Tall, or any other player, must think in response to that threat:

'?10,000 a week to do **** all and sign a lucrative contract with a new club when my contract expires' OR

'Please Mr Romanov let me play. Cut my wages. Don't pay me at all. I'm here for love of the game!'

The Old Tolbooth

Tall or Zaliukas?

Tall or Berra?

Tall or Karipidis?

Hmmmm! Not a hard one that likes!

However, he wont exactly be begging on the streets for his next meal after scooping ?1.5M from the club in wages over a 3 year period.

Vlads a bampot though, I wish there was a way out for Hearts fans so we didn't have to suffer this arsehole any longer :(

Right Stevie, just had a call from dad, says these players are unavailble this week, don't worry though there's still at least eleven to pick from...........

Vlads a bampot though, I wish there was a way out for Hearts fans so we didn't have to suffer this arsehole any longer :(

Months of arguments and fall outs

Pages of posts

Paragraph upon paragraph of attempts at debating the ins and outs of it all

And you, my man, just summed up the argument in one concise sentence :)

Brian Whittaker's Tache
I can imagine what Tall, or any other player, must think in response to that threat:

'?10,000 a week to do **** all and sign a lucrative contract with a new club when my contract expires' OR

'Please Mr Romanov let me play. Cut my wages. Don't pay me at all. I'm here for love of the game!'

Or being taken out the shop window and not having the chance of increasing their value in a relatively short term career?

I'd be bitter too, if someone was fecking up my career (and therefore my earning potential.

The Old Tolbooth
Months of arguments and fall outs

Pages of posts

Paragraph upon paragraph of attempts at debating the ins and outs of it all

And you, my man, just summed up the argument in one concise sentence :)

I should really make it my signature :confused:

Geoff Kilpatrick

There won't be wailing and gnashing of teeth at his departure, given what he was on and his relative value.

Yet again though, Vlad has the diplomatic skills of an Iranian prime minister. It seems to me sometimes that Anderton was a bigger loss than Burley, because at least Vlad wasn't negotiating contracts then.

There won't be wailing and gnashing of teeth at his departure, given what he was on and his relative value.

Yet again though, Vlad has the diplomatic skills of an Iranian prime minister. It seems to me sometimes that Anderton was a bigger loss than Burley, because at least Vlad wasn't negotiating contracts then.

GK it was Vlad who signed Tall on those wages,GB was against it and I'm pretty sure Anderton would have sided with Burley on that one.

Archived