Times have changed

Bauld

Been thinking about our squad. We have had some great players over the years, even in recent times there are names that make you smile when you hear them (Rudi)

I am a big fan of McHattie and Holt, they have good careers ahead of them. Perhaps we need to accept a hard fact. Holt, McKay, McHattie and Robinson to name those who were regulars last season but not this season would never be in an SPL title winning side. To me that means they aren't good enough for HMFC. I want a team that will one day take us to the very top once more. Holt is the best of the group but is he the next Hartley? Not for me.

Gomis and Buaben could make a title winning midfield. Nicholson could be in a title winning side as a winger. King isn't far off. Sow is untested at that level but there is potential there. Carrick has work to do but as a Kenny miller type player he could be. Wilson absolutely but with the right player next to him. Paterson without a doubt, McGee in a few years no doubt.

The foundations are there for us to build something special. I think RN and CL have already changed the perspective of what a Hearts standard player is. It is not a Jason Holt or Scott Robinson but a Margaro Gomis and Prince Buaben.

The Future's Maroon

Phew, I thought I'd missed the clocks going back/forward when I seen the title!! (also thought I was in The Shed to be fair)

As for your actual post, can't argue with any of it. :fing10:

Francis Albert

I must have dozed off when Hartley took us to a league title.

He was a great player for us for how many months? At what age and with what achievements before then?

The White Cockade

boy do we have some fickle fans

as soon as anybody is out of the starting XI they are "surplus to requirements"

and "no quite good enough"

of course not all players make the very top and Mckay and Robinson seem to be out of the picture right now

but everybody was raving about Holt last season and McHattie has been great this season so seems a bit early

to write off their careers!

Personally I think McHattie will have a long career with Hearts whereas by most accounts Holt wants to move on

Good luck to them whatever but how about supporting all of our players and not worrying about SPL Title winning teams

just yet - we have along way to go to even get close to that

I don't consider myself fickle, I said Holt and McHattie will have great careers in football wherever that may be. This idea that they are youngsters though, they are all in their twenties now. Potential time has been and gone the quality has got to start showing and showing regularly. Robinson can have a great game in ten, Holt shows flashes of brilliance but he doesn't command a midfield. McKay has no positional sense at all and is already outshone by McGee who is much younger. McHattie is getting better all the time so I do actually have a lot of hope he can succeed but right now at 21 his defensive abilities are very poor. It is his forward play that give me hope.

And for the Hartley comment above he left hearts and won the league with Celtic so regardless of club he was a midfielder who was title winning quality.

I know many of us (myself included) have grown attached to these players as we have watched them grow over the past few years but if they are going to do it it has to be now. If not it is time to go because our club is going to go through a massive evolution over the next couple of years.

King, Paterson, McGee, Nicholson, Carrick and I sincerely hope McHattie for me are the future.

Francis Albert

I don't consider myself fickle, I said Holt and McHattie will have great careers in football wherever that may be. This idea that they are youngsters though, they are all in their twenties now. Potential time has been and gone the quality has got to start showing and showing regularly. Robinson can have a great game in ten, Holt shows flashes of brilliance but he doesn't command a midfield. McKay has no positional sense at all and is already outshone by McGee who is much younger. McHattie is getting better all the time so I do actually have a lot of hope he can succeed but right now at 21 his defensive abilities are very poor. It is his forward play that give me hope.

And for the Hartley comment above he left hearts and won the league with Celtic so regardless of club he was a midfielder who was title winning quality.

I know many of us (myself included) have grown attached to these players as we have watched them grow over the past few years but if they are going to do it it has to be now. If not it is time to go because our club is going to go through a massive evolution over the next couple of years.

I think a lot of players could join Celtic and win an SPL title. It doesn't follow they could do so with Hearts.

King, Paterson, McGee, Nicholson, Carrick and I sincerely hope McHattie for me are the future.

We are around 6 months out of admin, not out of the Championship yet and you think we should be looking at writing off quite a few young players as you want players to win the Premiership, give me strength.

We are around 6 months out of admin, not out of the Championship yet and you think we should be looking at writing off quite a few young players as you want players to win the Premiership, give me strength.

Spot on. I think some of our players arent good enough to take the club I love where I want it to be. That's how I see it and nobody will be more delighted than I to be proven wrong.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

You're a big fan of McHattie and Holt and you think they've got big careers ahead of them but you don't think they're good enough for Hearts?

Bit of a contradiction is it not?

Perhaps I should have said long careers and I do hope successful ones to but I am not convinced they will get to that high a level. Yet anyway they will have this season to make another push but I think Holt will be gone in January because he wants out.

I think the trouble is the better we get the more of a catch 22 we and the club are in. Winning and winning well perhaps presents us with our biggest challenge, maintaining stability, financial, playing and expectations. That is, staying wihin our means, holding onto players until we are ready to release them and understanding this within our aspirations.

McHattie has been a great player for us this season. And Hartley was a fantastic player for us from about Jan 2004 - Aug 06.

Big fan of Hartley but before he came to us he was pretty guff to be honest.

These lads are still young and thrown into a side cobbled together because pf our situation.

All the guys mentioned still have plenty time to fulfill their potential

We wont have a squad capable of winning the SPL for many years to come. Unless we have the budget that Celtic have we will never compete consistently with them. We may have the odd good season while they have a bad one but the way our game is in this country you can pretty much predict the winners at the start of the season.

As for the young players again this is down to the fact that we are in the championship and need to get back to the SPL ASAP. Experience will always be used in situations like this as we cant afford any slip ups just now. Again I feel this is the a problem in our league set up as teams cant play youth players as they cannot afford to drop league position therefor lose vital cash from league position.

I think you would agree we are a far better side this season after being allowed to bring players in rather than be froced to play players who may not have even made the subs bench had we not had the transfer embargo.

I would like holt to get a bit more game time but with Gomis , Prince and Pallardo ( who we dont really know much about yet ) all in front of Holt for the simple reason we cant afford to drop points just now.

We have a good squad and when you look at our bench in games all of these players could be in the starting eleven. Think of the players that dont even make the bench and you realise the depth we have. Had we had these problems last season we would have avoided the drop easily.

Cairneyhill Jambo

I'm happy to bet my last fiver that outwith Celtic, clubs in Scotland are jealous of the squad we have. I'm not saying we would finish second in the SPL this season, far from it, but we have one hell of a squad. Older members will remember the last time we brought the same level of youngsters through the ranks. Robbo, Gary Mackay, and Dave Bowman. This time, we have a whole team of youngsters who are more than capable of making it in the game.

I said on Saturday look at the starting 11 then the strength on the bench . It is going to be some signing to get in the first 11 now apart from centre half maybe .

Archived