Free Scran

jambogaz1968

jambogaz1968

At Illegal Jack's

Dinner's on Jack tonight!

Ladies and Gentlemen. *Tonight* I am buying you dinner. Free burritos, and great beer/cider promos from 5:30pm Hope to see you! - Jack

The People's Chimp

Jack getting worried about the direct competition which has just opened up next door.

Rapid expansion from Pinto. They opened one place on Queen st, Glasgow, and within about a year they'd opened one a few hundred metres away on Gordon St and then another one a few months later, again a few hundred metres away on Hope st. Pretty aggressive strategy and Jack must be worried by it.

Pinto is a fair bit cheaper as well.

TheMaganator

Illegal Jacks do a great lunch time deal.

Steak burrito and a coke for just over a fiver.

I really quite like the place but their wings are a disgrace IMO.

Now apparently has a sign on the front saying closed due to unforeseen circumstances.

Odd.

Pretty sure I read a story about being closed due to a flood. The free food thing is presumably to get rid of stock that's about to turn bad...

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

A mate of mine is there tonight with a couple of pals. They've been waiting 45 minutes for their food and are still waiting, meaning they've missed the film screening they'd planned on going to. Probably going to miss the second one as well.

Way to entice folk into your restaurant...

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Last time `I went to Jacks it was the worst food ever.

Frozen salsa and wings that a decent vet could have had clucking again.

Never been back and I liked it for a pre gig scran.

Chipotle is the best place on earth.

Pishes all over the other shite.

There speaks a man who's never ventured down Leith Walk to Los Cardos.

Decent burritos in Jacks but they never have enough staff on. Clearly, the folks in Pinto figure they can make a killing from the folk who can't be arsed standing in a queue for 15 mins to get a burrito from Jacks. Will be trying Pinto in the near future.

Is it decent?

Very good, a friend's girlfriend from Texas says it is the only mexican in Edinburgh she will eat from. And proper portions, the large burrito is a killer.

There is a wee take out called Taquito at Home street... Very cheap and very nice. Also a Los Cardos fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Whittaker's Tache

LOs Cardos - Scared of salt (typical Americans) Take it home add salt and its amazing

Very good, a friend's girlfriend from Texas says it is the only mexican in Edinburgh she will eat from. And proper portions, the large burrito is a killer.

I'll test the theory when next home.

Siphiwe Tshabalala

I will need to give it a try soon.

Chipotle > Los Cardos imo.

I like LC but reckon it's a little over rated. That said, I'm keen to try their haggis burrito!

tartofmidlothian

:spoton:

Pinto in Edinburgh? :pleasing:

Pinto in Glasgow is very good, although they don't seem to encounter many people who don't like beans...

Los Cardos is a great shout, I had my first offering there last week and was hugely impressed.

Well that escalated quickly....

Something to do with the roof caving in or something like that? Sounds suspiciously like an insurance job as the place was shite

Something to do with the roof caving in or something like that? Sounds suspiciously like an insurance job as the place was shite

It was leased premises so can't see that they would benefit from any insurance payout.

Anyway, it's not like the place has been burnt to the ground, it has a leak in the roof!

Rapid expansion from Pinto. They opened one place on Queen st, Glasgow, and within about a year they'd opened one a few hundred metres away on Gordon St and then another one a few months later, again a few hundred metres away on Hope st. Pretty aggressive strategy and Jack must be worried by it.

Pinto is a fair bit cheaper as well.

I really like Pinto's for a quick bite. The fact you can get a bottle of Sol with your Lunch makes it the daddy of fast food.

Don't want to take the thread off topic, but have you been to Topola Bamba's across from Bread Meats Bread yet? It's pretty good.

The People's Chimp

I really like Pinto's for a quick bite. The fact you can get a bottle of Sol with your Lunch makes it the daddy of fast food.

Don't want to take the thread off topic, but have you been to Topola Bamba's across from Bread Meats Bread yet? It's pretty good.

Aye it's decent. I went in the summer so sat outside, but really enjoyed it. You been to that Turkish place just up the road, Anatolia Grill? Amazing value for lunch.

Aye it's decent. I went in the summer so sat outside, but really enjoyed it. You been to that Turkish place just up the road, Anatolia Grill? Amazing value for lunch.

Yeah went for the first time a couple of months ago, superb kebabs.

Just been to Pinto's, had a quesadilla. Enjoyed it and will be back. Was busy but service was quick. Think they'll do well.

tartofmidlothian

Saw Pinto was in town and shat it, more like.

Organised a few team lunches when I worked in Glasgow at Anatolia, used to be something ridiculous like ?6 for a 3 course 'express business lunch' with massive portions. Good quality as well. Great value.

I loved illegal jacks. Pintos though? Where? Giid i assume? Is it related in any way to lupe pintos?

I loved illegal jacks. Pintos though? Where? Giid i assume? Is it related in any way to lupe pintos?

Right next door to illegal Jack's. No relation to Lupe Pinto's.

• 6 months later...

Fundraisers have got money together for Illegal Jacks to re-open, possibly as early as June.

Another chain opening soon where Ann Purna was at St Patrick Square.

Phil Dunphy

Illegal Jacks was just another mediocre face in the crowd of chain Mexican places.

You'd think people were talking about a Michelin Star place shutting down FFS.

fabienleclerq

Illegal Jacks was just another mediocre face in the crowd of chain Mexican places.

You'd think people were talking about a Michelin Star place shutting down FFS.

If I'm honest I've never had a great Mexican anywhere. Maybe it's just me but even in Mexico it was pretty basic stuff.

Phil Dunphy

If I'm honest I've never had a great Mexican anywhere. Maybe it's just me but even in Mexico it was pretty basic stuff.

I do like a burrito every now and again and love fajitas as much as the next man, but when folk are fundraising for the Mexican equivalent of Wimpys, you have to wonder.

Archived