Michael Stewart Smacksdown Ally in The Sun

scott_jambo

By MICHAEL STEWART

Published: 11 hrs ago

IF there?s one thing Ally McCoist is good at it?s self preservation.

His skills at football management don?t come anywhere close. That?s not meant to sound like a personal attack on the Rangers boss.

Let?s be clear; he?s an affable guy and someone who most people find easy to get on with.

But that?s McCoist the man.

I?m talking about McCoist the manager and quite frankly he?s not good enough. His skills in that area are sadly lacking.

Monday night?s 3-1 defeat to Hibs ? and McCoist?s blaming of Bilel Moshni which was a blatant attempt to look after No 1 and deflect all responsibility ? will probably reaffirm what Gers fans already know, that it?s simply not good enough.

But Rangers cannot afford to sack him given the size and weight of his lucrative contract. And it?s not like McCoist is going to walk away.

In all honesty I can understand why he?s holding on to his job for dear life.

He?s on big money and maybe he still has faith in himself that he can turn it around.

If you asked me if others could do a better job at Rangers then I think the answer is Yes.

It?s time Rangers had someone else in charge, but the bottom line is it?s unlikely to happen any time soon.

Rangers are stuck with McCoist and as far as I can see, he?s going nowhere.

So all supporters can do is ask is WHY are their team is toiling so dreadfully.

For me it?s simple, the players just aren?t being trained.

If you watch them play ? there is no style or structure the players are adhering to.

They have some men with real potential to be top players.

The likes of Dean Shiels, Lee Wallace and David Templeton to name but three.

But since signing for Gers they have gone backwards.

That?s not because of the league they have been playing in. It?s down to the fact they have not been coached.

It seems no one at Rangers is working to make them better.

It?s been the classic Fat Cat mentality where people are happy to take good money for an easy life.

That may have been good enough to get through the lower leagues, but it won?t be to get out of the Championship.

McCoist?s side have no creativity or drive.

They arguably have the best finisher in the country in Kris Boyd, but how many chances has he had to score?

I look at midfielders like Nicky Law and Ian Black and they are wasted shirts. When I played, my job as a midfielder was to try and make a killer pass to split defences.

Black spends his days swanning around Ibrox like he owns the joint, playing sideways passes like his life depends on it.

It?s nowhere near good enough. There?s others who are playing out of position.

Darren McGregor is a centre half ? and not a ball-playing one at that ? but he?s been shunted to right-back.

On the left of midfield it?s Stevie Smith, a left-back.

Throw in the likes of Mohsni and Arnold Peralta, two bog standard players if ever I saw them, and it?s a total shambles.

That?s been down to the signing policy McCoist went with.

He should have been bringing in youngsters like Andy Robertson ? who he failed to spot the potential of, even when Gers played Queen?s Park four times in a season.

But it maybe comes back to the fact he knew he wouldn?t be making him any better.

So instead he signed players with so-called experience.

For me it?s not going to end well, but if McCoist isn?t going to quit or be sacked, then maybe he should at least try and change things behind the scenes at Ibrox.

He?s got to realise his strengths and weaknesses and if that means conceding he?s no good on the training ground them bring someone in who is.

But then again that may not be something he wants to do when his two pals, Ian Durrant and No 2 Kenny McDowall, are already doing that job.

No link. Taken from Bears Den website.

chester copperpot

He has totalled nailed that comment.

He seems very intelligent and seems to be excellent from the punditry side of things.

grantaitchie8

He's spot on. Hopefully he's the only one to have a pop though, would hate for Ally to realise how bad he is and walk! (Although there's little chance of that!)

sshhh! Michael, we want them to think that injuries and suspensions to us is going to win them the league.

Don't worry ally your mate goram says your doing a fine job and every thing will be okay dokay come may so carry on doing the fine job your doing.phew that should do the trick

I saw this thread on bears den and their all agreeing with Mikey Stewart although they hate him. That forum has been my entertainment for the last 48 hours since hibs humped them. They really are a bunch of knobs

about time someone told it how it is,instead of ex-gers players and cowardly journalists and pundits crawling up fat sallys browner

Totally agree except the bit where he talks about his playing career and slates Ian Black in the next sentence.

"Playing killer passes" isn't something I would have ever associated with Michael Stewart.

Swanning around like he owned the joint was Mikey Stewart 101.

rossthejambo

Dean Shiels? :cornette:

Scored plenty for Killie in the SPL before he went to Rangers, he's not a great player by any means and I can't stand the wee prick, but he's a lot better than he's been playing.

Spot on Michael! One of the few pundits who says what he thinks and is a breath of fresh air in Scottish football punditry!

Really like Michael Stewart, never scared to speak his mind.

Great article

Excellent article

But Michael may have burnt his bridges I'm afraid, he will probably now been seen as a pariah by Ally's large circle of friends in the media....expect to see less of him on the BBC as well, don't want Rangers upset do we

Regal Kingston

Had a look on Bears Den and was surprised at how many people agreed.

If we can beat Rangers at Tynecastle it will be hard ask for any manager to catch us up.

i wish jj was my dad

about time someone told it how it is,instead of ex-gers players and cowardly journalists and pundits crawling up fat sallys browner

Spot on as is Michael. Richard Wilson defending him.

Interesting to see of our resident huns have a view? They are obviously closer to this than we are.

tartofmidlothian

Excellent article

But Michael may have burnt his bridges I'm afraid, he will probably now been seen as a pariah by Ally's large circle of friends in the media....expect to see less of him on the BBC as well, don't want Rangers upset do we

Michael's smart, he knows which way the wind's blowing.

It's an okay article - the 'advice' about Andrew Robertson is riddled with hindsight.

Anything that stops him talking about politics/the referendum is fine by me.

tartofmidlothian

It's an okay article - the 'advice' about Andrew Robertson is riddled with hindsight.

What's he been saying? Was "the answer is Yes" a cheeky dig at someone?

He hits the nail on the head. Absolutely no skirting around the issues. Where other so called journalists seem to be unwilling to upset Sevco, Mikey has come straight out and said what they all know but are too afraid to confront - McCoist is no good but the club cannot afford to get rid of him.

whilst i agree with everythng he says,he obviously has forgotton some of the rank performances that HE,S had as a hearts player,the usual headless chicken routine,makes a mistake,blames someone else,gets sent off,kicks a water bottle & then falls over it.

Tho i do admit,that he has also been a fine ambassador for the club.

jamboinglasgow

Followed him on twitter, as was great at first but came obsessed with posting referendum stuff, unfollowed him after that.

Good article by Michael Stewart apart from his criticism of Black, as its just what he did (and how often did he play the "killer" pass.)

I don't think he'll be welcome down Govan way any time soon. Basically said Ian Durrant is a hanging on like an old pals act. Which he is!

Fat Sally, He's correct, Ian Black, he's correct, Ian Durrant, He's correct, Mohsni, Correct, Wallace & Templeton, He's correct!

I hoe they dont wake up and smell the coffe any time soon.

He said the same thing about Locke last season.

In hindsight he was right.

Hindsight wasn't needed to tell us that.

sunblestjambo

Regardless of their allegiance, most people recognise Michael Stewart as quite astute and a pretty informed pundit. I think the fact that someone who carries a bit of respect has so publicly laid into fat salary, we might now see the floodgates open. While most of the Scottish football fraternity have mutely acknowledged McCoists failings there seems to have been a reluctance to put the boot in... Until now! What pleases me greatly is the fact that our glorious form is exacerbating his shiteness!

This season gets better and better.

:pleasing:

Followed him on twitter, as was great at first but came obsessed with posting referendum stuff, unfollowed him after that.

Good article by Michael Stewart apart from his criticism of Black, as its just what he did (and how often did he play the "killer" pass.)

He was absolutely insufferable about the referendum.

Usually had an excellent opening 5 or 6 games to the season before having a collapse. The less said about his performances as captain the better.

He was on Sportsound tonight

Did he give Swally it laldy again.

Hopefully MS backtracked saying he was wrong.

Regardless of their allegiance, most people recognise Michael Stewart as quite astute and a pretty informed pundit. I think the fact that someone who carries a bit of respect has so publicly laid into fat salary, we might now see the floodgates open. While most of the Scottish football fraternity have mutely acknowledged McCoists failings there seems to have been a reluctance to put the boot in... Until now! What pleases me greatly is the fact that our glorious form is exacerbating his shiteness!

This season gets better and better.

:pleasing:

I was thinking that myself. A bit like the Emperor's new clothes. It takes someone to come out and state the obvious before everyone else open their eyes and recognise the reality.

Rangers have too big a squad and yes agree Dean Shiels is a good player.

Stewart says a few times he won't leave. Media in general did hint at criticising style of play last season but results were fine. Mess.

McCoist manager for a while longer.

Excellent article

Ah hem, they had him on tonight repeating exactly what he said in The Sun.

I think Michael Stewart has hit the nail on the head, there is not much that he says which you can disagree with.

What I have not heard anyone discuss is what happens after McCoist, because let's face it he ain't going to be there forever :sick:.

They will have to get somebody in, probably with a decent track record, as the fans would accept nothing less, but that will cost a pretty penny.

Everyone knows how much money McCoist gets, so if they went for an experienced manager especially if he's already in a job, well he ain't going to move unless he gets as much as McCoist gets or more.

If Rangers don't or can't pay that amount then they will have to get someone in of lesser quaility and will the fans accept that?

I think Rangers have shot themselves in the foot over McCoist, the thing is they don't know it yet.

Ah hem, they had him on tonight repeating exactly what he said in The Sun.

Fine, but we will see, not a slight on Michael Stewart, but Ally McCoist and Rangers still have many allies in the Scottish media, if by some miracle Ally was to somehow turn this around, then Michael Stewarts credibility would be in tatters, but as others have said Michael is a smart lad and you can't disagree with a single word of that article

The Comedian

Belter of a line re Andrew Robertson. Absolute peach.

No doubt Mr Stewart has already had the call and told the jolly japester to gtf. Again.

:jjyay:

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez

Hindsight wasn't needed to tell us that.

It's not until you compare what we have this year to last that it become so blindingly obvious, to me anyway.

I was of the opinion that Locke was working with his hands tied behind his back and there wasnt much different we could do. Probably the most wrong I've ever been.

With proper coaching the likes of McHattie are completely different players this year.

Rangers are in a similar position only it's entirely their own doing.

It's not until you compare what we have this year to last that it become so blindingly obvious, to me anyway.

I was of the opinion that Locke was working with his hands tied behind his back and there wasnt much different we could do. Probably the most wrong I've ever been.

With proper coaching the likes of McHattie are completely different players this year.

Rangers are in a similar position only it's entirely their own doing.

Fair play to you for admitting it. :thumbsup:

Laddie just didn't cut it for me after the way he crapped it from St Mirren.

Once again Michael Stewart spot on and not frightend to speak the truth which in the scottish media is very rare.

Still a shame he never used his intellegence on a football park.

Ally looked totally out of his depth last night. Watching the game Hibs controlled it at Ibrox. I honestly thought we were lucky on day 1 and that the same old hers of domination would emerge. So far so good. But I didn't think they'd be 3-0 down at half time to Hibs last night!

He has no plan on the pitch. He plays with zero creativity and they are so one paced that they get held back. Boyd, Miller, Daly, Black and McCulloch are yesterday's men. Stevie Smith was dumped by Aberdeen. Says it all. Long may it continue because if he played Aird, Templeton, McLeod and possibly that Hutton boy they'd be more creative and threatening than they've been all season.

Fine, but we will see, not a slight on Michael Stewart, but Ally McCoist and Rangers still have many allies in the Scottish media, if Ally was to somehow turn this around, then Michael Stewarts credibility would be in tatters, but as others have said Michael is a smart lad and you can't disagree with a single word of that article

Agree - Michael Stewart was spot on. The only thing I think he and the media, including the BBC, have failed to tackle is the blue noses' sense of entitlement. The thing that's stopping a restructure at Ibrox is the Huns belief that they must win every week and must be at the top of Scottish football. Until they accept that a readjustment of their expectations is required, at least temporarily, they will fail - a prospect we must love.

But but Barry the crab says he'll win the league!

does he go in the same direction as Blacks passes?

Archived