Travelling in Europe

Pele_Is_God

Getting to the stage where I want to do more travelling. Now 27, stuck in a dead end job and I spend most of my days wondering there must be more to life than this... I have no commitments and have got savings so financially I should be sound...

I am thinking of doing 6 months around Europe but haven't got the faintest idea where to start! I will be travelling alone which doesn't faze me but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Bridge of Djoum

Great idea mate.

Europe is a great place to start, especially if travelling on your own. Get you used to the whole experience.

Inter-railing is a good way to do it IMO. Pretty cheap, can hit many countries. http://www.interrail.eu/.

michael_bolton

Do it.

It's easy, it's fun and you'll wonder why it took you so long.

Some people like the Interrail stuff. I didn't bother with it when I went round Europe in 2005. I was a good chunk of time in Eastern Europe, wasn't worth a rail card.

I can't express what a good idea this is.

Of course, there are good trips to be had beyond Europe too.

One thing I'd advise is not to over-plan it. If you make it too rigid a trip you'll lose the glory of just waking up and deciding to go somewhere.

Your circumstances sound similar to myself when I decided to leg it. 27 is a great age to get travelling, still young but with a bit more cash in your bank account.

Europe is a phenomonal place with so many cultures, languages and religions in a small space. You could think about The Americas or Asia Pacific as well, which offer something completely different it's like a whole other world. The UK passport opens alot of doors and I'd look into working visas which will allow you to top up your funds while on the go, in the event you want to stay away longer!

I've travelled alone and found lots of other people do it too and it can be advantageous especially when you're young. Don't make it into your 30s or 40s wishing you'd gone when you had the chance. Go for it man!

Going travelling is one of the best things I've done with my life. It's so awesome I've done three different 11-12 month trips.

Haven't gone round Europe yet so can't offer any specific advice. However, I would echo what others have said about not sticking to a detailed itinerary.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess the only thing putting me off is leaving my job and can I get another job when I return.

If i was in ur shoes.OP I would go for it.

Love the idea of travelling europe, central, baltics and the meds. Central especially. Unfortunately its but a mere pipe dream as i am (or my mrs rather) expecting our 2nd.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess the only thing putting me off is leaving my job and can I get another job when I return.

Obviously I know nothing about your personal circumstances with regards to the field you work in and your CV...

If you're doing the standard office grind I wouldn't worry about it, there's plenty of that kind of work around. The longest it's taken me to get a new job after returning home is 4-5 weeks. If you've landed your dream job in a field that's hard to get into then your decision is somewhat different. However, if you were in that position I would doubt that you would be considering leaving?

If i was in ur shoes.OP I would go for it.

Love the idea of travelling europe, central, baltics and the meds. Central especially. Unfortunately its but a mere pipe dream as i am (or my mrs rather expecting our 2nd.

Should probably elaborate.

Delighted.to have 1 already and also to be adding to the troop, but whilst travelling door is rammed shut for now will reopen when kids r older and with kids opens up a whole bunch of able opportunities amd places to go and do /see.

So please dont think for a minute im unhappy as im not.

Op.good luck on ur travels. Poland is highly recommended (more than cheap voddie and the other sex u know.)

I work for the nhs in a clerical position so it's not exactly my dream job! Just have a fear of coming back and being unemployed for a long time.... of course that's if I do come back!

Yes Poland is one of the places I would like to visit!

Cairneyhill Jambo

One of mates years ago travelled around Europe by train on a European rail pass.

He basically travelled through the night to cut down on accomodation costs and awoke in a different city each day. He did spend some time in some of the cities though, staying in hostels.

You can still get them. They are about ?300 for a months rail travel.

http://www.interrail.eu/

Archived