Munro bagging

korf123

9 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Hope you took a pish* on the summit of the first one...   

Certainly sounds like you've dived-into the hillwalking right enough!

(*Or better still, some 5h1te!   :thumbsup: )

I no. First one called bleedin Leith. Wasnt best pleased about that but what can you do.

Followed a route off Steve Fallon website. Seems he is some sort of guide. But loads of good routes on there for anyone starting out.

Thought we had taken on more than we bargained for during first hour trekking across boggy unmarked ground but just kept heading towards the obvious summit. Once we got up the first one we got in to the navigation a bit more.

Got to ben lawers in the middle and theres a well worn track on the other side. Like someone had just let out a bus load. I guess loads of folk just do the 1

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan_R

• All roads lead to Gorgie

• Harko

• indianajones

All roads lead to Gorgie
13 hours ago, His name is said:

I'm doing Ben Lui tomorrow. Only done one other, Buacaille Etive Mor.

Not done any exercise during this Corona pandemic so could be a slog!

Ben Lui is a great choice, especially if you walk to it's base from Tyndrum by Coninish Farm and follow the rim of the corrie to the summit. Best hill in the Southern Highlands for me! 

Best of luck. Hope the weather is decent as you are probably there now.

7 hours ago, Alan_R said:

I no. First one called bleedin Leith. Wasnt best pleased about that but what can you do.

Followed a route off Steve Fallon website. Seems he is some sort of guide. But loads of good routes on there for anyone starting out.

Thought we had taken on more than we bargained for during first hour trekking across boggy unmarked ground but just kept heading towards the obvious summit. Once we got up the first one we got in to the navigation a bit more.

Got to ben lawers in the middle and theres a well worn track on the other side. Like someone had just let out a bus load. I guess loads of folk just do the 1

Steve Fallon is also the record holder for the number of Munro rounds completed, having done a mind boggling 15 rounds!

Well done on doing the Lawyers group as a oner, that's a big day.

• 2 weeks later...

another 2 muno bagged today

Stuc a'choin... was excellent. We headed straight up the rocky face. In hindsight pretty sketchy as very steep. Was the highlight for me though.

That was after ben vorlich. Nice enough but on its own not that interesting.

The slog back through bogs was an absolute chore.

Auld Reekin'
47 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Stuc a'choin... was excellent. We headed straight up the rocky face. In hindsight pretty sketchy as very steep. Was the highlight for me though.

Which one? The one to the west of Loch Lomond, I assume?

8 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Which one? The one to the west of Loch Lomond, I assume?

No one on loch earn with Stuc a'choin behind it

I had no idea there was two! 

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, Alan_R said:

No one on loch earn with Stuc a'choin behind it

I had no idea there was two! 

Yep, there's another one in the Trossachs, in the "Arrochar Alps" between Loch Sloy and Loch Lomond. I've only climbed the Loch Earn one though, and just did it to and from Ardvorlich.

Did you see any black grouse?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/08/2020 at 19:08, Alan_R said:

Couldn't have described our expierences more accurately.  Looking at Stuc a'choin from vorlich and knowing the path went straight up the face you're left thinking :cornette:

Done the 7 lawers. So gave 10 mamores a go, a few things went against us and ended up only doing 6. (Still a good days bagging in anyones book) if pushed i reckon i couldve done it but im not sure id want to. Collectively some of the hardest ive climbed. For example An Stuc has a rep yet youve got 3 similar in a row on this route. Its tough but the scrambling and views are brilliant 

On 30/08/2020 at 02:19, Alan_R said:

Done the 7 lawers. So gave 10 mamores a go, a few things went against us and ended up only doing 6. (Still a good days bagging in anyones book) if pushed i reckon i couldve done it but im not sure id want to. Collectively some of the hardest ive climbed. For example An Stuc has a rep yet youve got 3 similar in a row on this route. Its tough but the scrambling and views are brilliant 

That is some going. No way I could manage anything like that nowadays, especially in the west where you’re going up the ****ers more or less from sea level. Did Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime in Arrochar on Saturday and am still suffering.

19 minutes ago, leginten said:

That is some going. No way I could manage anything like that nowadays, especially in the west where you’re going up the ****ers more or less from sea level. Did Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime in Arrochar on Saturday and am still suffering.

Brilliant they are on my list

Did u do the cobbler aswell?

22 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Brilliant they are on my list

Did u do the cobbler aswell?

Did the Cobbler last August. We were joking on Saturday about hopping up again, but we were all done in after the two Munros. If you haven’t done it yet, it’s possible to start the walk about a mile short of the Rest and Be Thankful (although the road is currently closed because of yet another landslip) by heading up the path into Coire Croe, where there’s a junction with the main Cobbler/Beinn Ime superhighway. That has at least four advantages: you start about 180m higher, you avoid the rip-off parking charge at Arrochar, you avoid the crowds (it was like the bloody Lake District on Saturday) and you miss out the boring forest zigzags from Arrochar.

On the other hand, if you’re including Narnain you can go up the east side of that mountain from Arrochar - some nice scrambling and spectacular rock formations on that way up.

Edited by leginten

Thanks for the tips

Id probably be looking to combine as many as possible. Just to make travelling worthwhile.

I left at 3am for drive up to glen nevis. Drove home same night after day on the hills was knackering.

Probably going to plan others that i have a kip for few hours in the car at least. 

Doing it that way fitting in as many as i can in 1 day/24hours keeps Mrs R off my case.

Finlay holds the record for ben nevis race so not your typical hiker but this mad man has just completed the ramsay round of 24 munros in 14hours.

118696173_3512428205443125_9211263013907965760_o.jpg

Was thinking of doing Ben Nevis this weekend for the first time but I only want to do it if there are relatively clear skies so I can I enjoy the view and also do it safely. I have looked at various websites but they are giving conflicting advice; can anyone recommend a reliable one? mountain-forecast.com seems to be the most comprehensive but forecast differs fairly markedly from the met office one.

20 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Was thinking of doing Ben Nevis this weekend for the first time but I only want to do it if there are relatively clear skies so I can I enjoy the view and also do it safely. I have looked at various websites but they are giving conflicting advice; can anyone recommend a reliable one? mountain-forecast.com seems to be the most comprehensive but forecast differs fairly markedly from the met office one.

You wont get views from nevis unless its some miracle. Its heads always in the clouds. (Based on what ive been told)

I was up mamores opposite on a good day and clouds around nevis barely cleared for a view of the peak.

Go for it id say and enjoy the climb and surroundings on the way up.glen nevis is spectacular.

An excuse for me to share this.

IMG_20200830_130203_614.jpg

Edited by Alan_R

17 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Tend to find MWIS is reliable. However, it is less precise than some other forecasts as a wide geographical area is covered in each report.

joondalupjambo

Last Friday my wife, son and I did Creag Leacach and Glas Moal on the eastern side of Glenshee.  Not that hard in terms of distance or difficulty but we had to contend with really strong winds, blustery showers and cold conditions so that turned a simple wander into a tricky walk.  Stunning views when the cloud cleared and really enjoyed it but the wind speeds and rain were truly horrible. We did these because my son is just starting to do a hill or two with us.

Today I updated my Munro log book and lo and behold when I checked back my wife and I did all four of the Munro's on the eastern side of Genshee in one long walk back in July 1983!!!  It must have been at least twice or a bit more than that in terms of distance to what we did on Friday and much more height climbing.  

Mind you that was 37 years ago and so no wonder we could do so much in one day.  Still pleased that now, in our mid 60's we can handle the tough conditions and now looking forward to the next top.  

Edited by joondalupjambo

I am planning to walk Ben Lui soon.

Genuine question - how fit do I need to be?

I go to the gym, run 10k 2-3 times a week etc 

I also walk a lot - usually 1.5 hours a day etc but just wondering if Ben Lui is realistic as I am a total novice other than Pentlands, Tinto etc

Cheers guys 👍

7 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Good review of Ben Nevis here...

EB82A1BA-A39A-4DA4-8807-861C0BC80D13.jpeg

I did Ben Nevis for the first time yesterday. Although that review is clearly nonsense, I can actually identify with bits of it!! I am reasonably fit bar a dodgy knee but it was a real slog towards the top. The views are stunning and it was worth it but the huge numbers of people doing the climb detracted from it (I appreciate that I am obviously one of them). Much prefer some of the quieter Munros but glad I did it nonetheless.

7 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

I also walk a lot - usually 1.5 hours a day etc but just wondering if Ben Lui is realistic as I am a total novice other than Pentlands, Tinto etc

Cheers guys 👍

You'll be fine with that level of fitness. You can stop as often as you want of course and do it at your own pace.

1 hour ago, Jambos_1874 said:

You'll be fine with that level of fitness. You can stop as often as you want of course and do it at your own pace.

cheers 

I’m looking for some help folks. My wife and I plus 2 other couples are looking to head away in 4 weeks time for a weekend away up north. Friday to the Sunday.

we are looking to bag a Munro, visit a gin distillery and head out for a nice meal on the Saturday. A few asks in there but has anyone done something similar and have recommendations!?

8 hours ago, sprinbox98 said:

I’m looking for some help folks. My wife and I plus 2 other couples are looking to head away in 4 weeks time for a weekend away up north. Friday to the Sunday.

we are looking to bag a Munro, visit a gin distillery and head out for a nice meal on the Saturday. A few asks in there but has anyone done something similar and have recommendations!?

Not sure how youd work it for driving/having a tipple

But caorunn gin is near aviemore so you'd have the Cairngorm's right on the doorstep.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/donnie-campbell-nears-self-propelled-munros-record/0021094/

This man is almost certainly not human. Took a week off the record for doing all 282 Munros. Cycled or kayaked between mountain groups. Reading the descriptions of some of his days made me realise I’m not part of the same species.

19 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Cheers guys 👍

You'll be fine. I done it and I'm not overly fit. I couldn't even run 10k!

All roads lead to Gorgie
23 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Cheers guys 👍

You should be fit enough for the walk up Ben Lui. If you start off from Tyndrum the walk to Cononish Farm will have your muscles well warmed up before you reach the base of the hill. The route by either rims of the corrie needs a bit effort but the scrambling is minimal and easy where it occurs. If you don't fancy that another route starts in Glen Lochay but you miss out the great view of Ben Lui as you approach it from the east. 

When I did it some time ago I also did Beinn a' Chleibh, Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig in the same round but that was the sort of a big day I could cope with back then😀

All roads lead to Gorgie
14 hours ago, sprinbox98 said:

I have tried to remember hills I found interesting that might appeal to your party and then I looked up gin distilleries. I see there is a craft gin distillery in North ballachulish called Pixel Spirits and right across Loch Leven stands Beinn a' Bheither which actually has two Munros, Sgorr Dhearg and Sgorr Dhonuill. The views from the summits are fantastic, sea lochs and the rugged western highlands all around you. 

Not sure about the dining in the area but plenty hotels are situated there anyway.

Cairneyhill Jambo
6 hours ago, leginten said:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/donnie-campbell-nears-self-propelled-munros-record/0021094/

This man is almost certainly not human. Took a week off the record for doing all 282 Munros. Cycled or kayaked between mountain groups. Reading the descriptions of some of his days made me realise I’m not part of the same species.

That's unreal.

Same with the guy that ran the 96 mile West Highland Way in 13 hrs 41 mins. https://www.fionaoutdoors.co.uk/2017/06/first-time-whw-race-runner-rob-sinclair-smashes-record.html

7 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I have tried to remember hills I found interesting that might appeal to your party and then I looked up gin distilleries. I see there is a craft gin distillery in North ballachulish called Pixel Spirits and right across Loch Leven stands Beinn a' Bheither which actually has two Munros, Sgorr Dhearg and Sgorr Dhonuill. The views from the summits are fantastic, sea lochs and the rugged western highlands all around you. 

Not sure about the dining in the area but plenty hotels are situated there anyway.

Thats really helpful mate. Thanks!!

On 31/08/2020 at 17:57, leginten said:

Did the Cobbler last August. We were joking on Saturday about hopping up again, but we were all done in after the two Munros. If you haven’t done it yet, it’s possible to start the walk about a mile short of the Rest and Be Thankful (although the road is currently closed because of yet another landslip) by heading up the path into Coire Croe, where there’s a junction with the main Cobbler/Beinn Ime superhighway. That has at least four advantages: you start about 180m higher, you avoid the rip-off parking charge at Arrochar, you avoid the crowds (it was like the bloody Lake District on Saturday) and you miss out the boring forest zigzags from Arrochar.

On the other hand, if you’re including Narnain you can go up the east side of that mountain from Arrochar - some nice scrambling and spectacular rock formations on that way up.

I did this years ago from the just short of the rest and be thankful. If memory serves me is it not an "oot & up" from the car? That is, you open the car door and you are on a very steep climb almost immediately?

• 3 weeks later...

Managed the Arrochar Alps. Blown away by the views and the intense wind!
📍 the cobbler - 884m
📍 Ben Narnian - 926m
📍 Beinn Ime - 1011m
📍 Ben Vane - 915m

A long day. Was one of the toughest days mentally. Not the most exciting (altho we did have a rather interesting scramble up face of ben arthurs northern peak) but coming down ime and up the steep mossy unmarked side of ben vane was a real effort with tired legs. Mentally sapping.

Our early start did reward us with a nice sunrise and views over ben lomond though.

Also wore my jambos hat on this one ❤

IMG_20200927_094129_963.jpg

scott herbertson
11 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

📍 the cobbler - 884m
📍 Ben Narnian - 926m
📍 Beinn Ime - 1011m
📍 Ben Vane - 915m

A long day. Was one of the toughest days mentally. Not the most exciting (altho we did have a rather interesting scramble up face of ben arthurs northern peak) but coming down ime and up the steep mossy unmarked side of ben vane was a real effort with tired legs. Mentally sapping.

Our early start did reward us with a nice sunrise and views over ben lomond though.

Did the same route a good 35 years ago . My mate was very knowledgable / mountain leadership type and I asked him what "Ime" meant. He muttered under his breath "*******" as we slogged up it.

Went to do Ben Lomond yesterday but the police had shut the road at Balmaha so no way through was gutted I have done it before but the weather was ridiculously bad so did not get much of a view 

10 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Is this thread about climbing hills, getting lost and having to be rescued with tax payers money? Or? 

Shite post.

How many £Billions P/A are "wasted" of tax payers money on arseholes falling out the pubs on a Saturday night pished, pavement dancing, having accidents, drink-driving, domestic violence, public disorder etc etc etc. Police, Ambulance, Fire, Social Care, Hospitals etc. Do we close bars and make it illegal for folk to drink alcohol? Naw!

But wait, a couple get lost on Ben More and its a shocking waste of public money when we scramble the mountain rescue (which is mostly a charity).

Boil yer heed!

12 hours ago, Alan_R said:

📍 the cobbler - 884m
📍 Ben Narnian - 926m
📍 Beinn Ime - 1011m
📍 Ben Vane - 915m

Beautiful pic mate 👍