Toshney

JamboAl

I dont mind him going to Hibs, knowing we took a look and decided he wasnt worth it.

Will just show that are always happy to settle for second best.

I could see the point in signing another central midfielder if he was better than what we have but I'm happy with the squad we have. An excellent blend of youth and experience.

Which is a pish poor return when you consider the likes of Ritchie / McLaren / Webster / Levein / Berra / Naysmith etc who all came from Hearts.

Was Levein not at Cowdenbeath?

Webster came from Arbroath too did he not?

Was Levein not at Cowdenbeath?

Webster came from Arbroath too did he not?

Perhaps but we didn't have an academy at the time and they were both bought young and developed by Hearts - I'm hard pushed to think of many players either of the old firm got from the lower leagues and they went on to become internationalist.

Remember the boy Caddis? Was supposed to be the next Danny McGrain or something and ended up at Swindon Town.

:lenny:

Caddis is playing for Birmingham these days.

Perhaps but we didn't have an academy at the time and they were both bought young and developed by Hearts - I'm hard pushed to think of many players either of the old firm got from the lower leagues and they went on to become internationalist.

Andy Webster and Craig Levein were both playing first team football when we signed them.

If you are going back to Levein you are going back to 83/84, I'm not doing it but I'm certain a fair few Celtic developed players went on to be international.

Also, the majority of the players you mention wouldn't have been at our "Academy" so I'm unsure what point you are trying to make there.

Putting aside for the moment that none of these are close to being Hearts targets, surely somebody will give the young Greek lad a try.

I should add, I'm going purely on the paragraph in that article. I've never seen the lad play.

I used to sign Ninis on FM for everybody back in the day. Greek god.

Winston Ingram

Having watched him at Killie and Dundee I've never thought he was any good but obviously would trust the coaching staff. Like others, find it a bid strange we're looking at another full-back. Only possible logic would be if McGhee might move on in January.

Which is a pish poor return when you consider the likes of Ritchie / McLaren / Webster / Levein / Berra / Naysmith etc who all came from Hearts.

McLaren and Levein, you're pushing it a bit there are you not? The ones i mentioned are all still playing(or should be in Kennedys case). :P

Celtic shift defences regularly. We had Webster for a long time over 2 different spells and Zal was 7-8 years and Neilson for 10-11 years I think? So it is no surprise we havent produced a huge number of academy defenders but Berra, Wallace are 2 recent among others and now we have Paterson, McHattie, McGee all looking like future international defenders.

Mulgrew came through as a defender for Celtic but they only put him near the defence as a last resort. He was even punted out first time round for being pish.

Celtic shift defences regularly. We had Webster for a long time over 2 different spells and Zal was 7-8 years and Neilson for 10-11 years I think? So it is no surprise we havent produced a huge number of academy defenders but Berra, Wallace are 2 recent among others and now we have Paterson, McHattie, McGee all looking like future international defenders.

Mulgrew came through as a defender for Celtic but they only put him near the defence as a last resort. He was even punted out first time round for being pish.

Would add world cup player Ryan McGowan to your list too

So has he signed for the vermin or not?

No I think he has options from clubs like Dundee, I can just see him being a Hibs player.

The only way he'll go to Hibs is if they offer him the biggest wage.Who on Earth would want to be part of Hibs just now?

It would probably be his most likely option for immediate first team football. At his age it is make or break regardless of money if he still wants a decent wage when he is 30 he has to prove it now.

He is meant to be pretty good but I have always been scared of the defenders Celtic let go, remember the likes of towell who went to hibs on loan, that guy josh thompson was dreadful and many others I have seen. I can't remember the last decent defender they had who actually came through their system.

Stephane Mahe was a great signing for us.

Stephane Mahe was a great signing for us.

If I remember right as he was from my early days as a fan he was never a Celtic academy graduate and his time with us was the last years of his career.

was never required IMO,never kicked a ball for celtc at this age then no chance with us...would just stop the development of others

If I remember right as he was from my early days as a fan he was never a Celtic academy graduate and his time with us was the last years of his career.

Yeah, you're spot on. He was way to good for one of their acadamey urchins.

Josh Thomson wasn't an Academy graduate either. He was signed from an English lower league team.

On the question of the last good defender to come through their Academy, my shout is Mulgrew.

Didn't he come through at Mk1 Rangers?

Just went for a wee look. I'd forgotten about Crainey and Wallace. I'm not sure if they've been mentioned on the thread already.

Nope. Celtic.

Well there you go. I always thought he'd left Rangers gone elsewhere and then gone to Celtic. Live and learn. :)

Who was released before being brought back to play in midfield ;)

It's irrelevant if he was released or not, he's a defender who came through at Celtic and has played internationally in defence.

John Kennedy and Stephen McManus would be another two.

It's irrelevant if he was released or not, he's a defender who came through at Celtic and has played internationally in defence.

John Kennedy and Stephen McManus would be another two.

I know, just being an arse ;)

Going a few years since those 3 had their respective breakthroughs though.

I know, just being an arse ;)

Going a few years since those 3 had their respective breakthroughs though.

He's a current international alongside Berra.

Been a few years since him though...

Putting aside for the moment that none of these are close to being Hearts targets, surely somebody will give the young Greek lad a try.

I should add, I'm going purely on the paragraph in that article. I've never seen the lad play.

Great prospect on FM12

Archived