Toshney

JamboAl

No news of him but I think I'm correct in saying he could sign tomorrow, or whenever, as he is now out of contract with Celtic.

tartofmidlothian

Or for the other teams who are apparently interested.

I guess we'll find out how attractive an option we really are.

He has received a longer term offer from at least one other club..... we were discussing a one year deal but a longer term contract will have it's attractions.

Why do we need another defender?

I am right in saying that Paterson is back in training? McGhee has done a great job since coming in. We have got Brad McKay as cover at centre half and have just signed a left back.

Has anyone come in for Scott Robinson? If they have then Id much prefer to see another midfield player come in with David Smith going to Falkirk to.

Voice of reason

Most likely to go to Dundee you would think. He's from Dundee and had a successful loan there from Celtic. I would imagine he'd rather go to his hometown team in the top league than play for either us or Hibs in the Championship. Hopefully not though as he would be a useful addition. We will soon find out I suppose.

He is meant to be pretty good but I have always been scared of the defenders Celtic let go, remember the likes of towell who went to hibs on loan, that guy josh thompson was dreadful and many others I have seen. I can't remember the last decent defender they had who actually came through their system.

Can't see the lad playing if he joins us. Once Paterson is back we have McGhee and McKay to cover plus Eckersley. Indeed Eckersley could play left back and McHattie cover centre half in emergency.

I don't know much about the lad but I'd suspect he will be heading elsewhere if he wants game time.

After coming through the transfer window without losing anyone in defence I don't really see the point of this one, Jordan has proved he is more than capable of covering for Paterson and can step in at centre half if either is injured/suspended and McKay is there for cover as well as Eckersley for the left. Sufficient cover across the back for me.

Rudolf's Mate

If Prem teams are after him you'd expect 2/3 year deal which would make it a no brainer. Otherwise 1 year with us or stuck for the remainder of a contract in the Championship with the wee team!

After coming through the transfer window without losing anyone in defence I don't really see the point of this one, Jordan has proved he is more than capable of covering for Paterson and can step in at centre half if either is injured/suspended and McKay is there for cover as well as Eckersley for the left. Sufficient cover across the back for me.

We have another 32 league games and other cup games to play this season and there will be times when our resources are stretched by injury, suspension and loss of form. There is never a bad time to sign a decent player so if RN and CL fancy having this guy 'join the revival' then I'm happy with that.

Hey - the guy either buys into being developed as a player or he doesn't.

There can't be any team in Scotland at the moment progressing players better than us.

If he wants midtable shiteness in front of 4k fans on 50 bob more a week then fair play to him.

tartofmidlothian

Genuinely thought we were lined up to get a decent deal for Jordan and Toshney would be a direct replacement.

I'd still take him.

Malcolm Tucker

He doesn't look very Hibs. Nowhere near enough of a scumbag.

On the face of him, looks like a Hearts signing.

ltoshney1_640x360.jpg

He could be third choice centre back and would also partner McKay in the cup. Means we have two players for each position I think, and Jordan McGhee won't have to play centre back in the cup. It's funny that McGhee's our most played player this season.

I've no idea if it's agreed/likely/probable, but if he's been at the club this long on trial, I'd be surprised if we didn't take him on. Especially when there are other clubs interested and he hasn't went there yet.

I've no idea if it's agreed/likely/probable, but if he's been at the club this long on trial, I'd be surprised if we didn't take him on. Especially when there are other clubs interested and he hasn't went there yet.

Do you know if he is still training with us?

He could be third choice centre back and would also partner McKay in the cup. Means we have two players for each position I think, and Jordan McGhee won't have to play centre back in the cup. It's funny that McGhee's our most played player this season.

McGhee is a centre half though, surely we'd be wanting to have him play at centre half more often if that's his preferred position.

Whether the player likes it or not I reckon McGee is turning into a far better right back than centre back.

On his performances in each place he would never oust Wilson or Ozturk from centre back but at right back he is putting a tremendous amount of pressure on Paterson. He has been solid at right back defensively and has been getting better going forward with each game he plays.

I think age is a factor here with McGhee. He's not strong enough yet to be a centre half (gets bullied by a strong centre forward too easily), so more suited to right back at the moment (where he's up against smaller wingers). In time he'll get stronger, and be a great centre half.

We have another 32 league games and other cup games to play this season and there will be times when our resources are stretched by injury, suspension and loss of form. There is never a bad time to sign a decent player so if RN and CL fancy having this guy 'join the revival' then I'm happy with that.

This.

We've also got to think long-term. After the start we've had winning the league, not simply promotion, should not just be a hope but a priority. If we were to go back up we would need to bolster numbers in defence and midfield at least. I'd rather have a player on the books who's been developed over this season in regards to game plan etc. and has got used to playing with team-mates, than need to bring someone new in next summer.

I remember Brian Clough played the young chris fairclough,steve chettle and des walker at full back until they matured into good centre backs for him.mcgee,as somebody has said,looks at home at right back to me but he'll mature into a good centre back in time.steven pressley was also utiilised as a right back at d.utd until he toughened up to play alongside malpas.

Regal Kingston

Don't really need him but would have preferred him to Eckersley as he's younger and has played U21.

Still though - cannot grumble with our haul over the summer.

Article says Neilson still looking for free agents who can sign outwith the transfer window.

I like how we are only signing players we need. Very much quality over quantity these days

He will end up at hibs for regular football. Turn out to be pish and get torn for arse paper by king and Nicholson.

Seriously I don't rate any Celtic defenders ever produced by their academy. As I said previously they don't produce good defenders. I can't remember the last player to play in defence who came through their system.

loveofthegame

Article says Neilson still looking for free agents who can sign outwith the transfer window.

I like how we are only signing players we need. Very much quality over quantity these days

Just like Hibs said they would do :rofl:

Putting aside for the moment that none of these are close to being Hearts targets, surely somebody will give the young Greek lad a try.

I should add, I'm going purely on the paragraph in that article. I've never seen the lad play.

He will end up at hibs for regular football. Turn out to be pish and get torn for arse paper by king and Nicholson.

Seriously I don't rate any Celtic defenders ever produced by their academy. As I said previously they don't produce good defenders. I can't remember the last player to play in defence who came through their system.

Mulgrew, McManus and John Kennedy before he got injured were all atleast good "SPL level" defenders they've produced in the recent past.

Footballfirst

Mulgrew, McManus and John Kennedy before he got injured were all atleast good "SPL level" defenders they've produced in the recent past.

... but you've missed Jim Goodwin off that list.

Oh sorry, I missed the bit about "SPL Level" :whistling:

He is meant to be pretty good but I have always been scared of the defenders Celtic let go, remember the likes of towell who went to hibs on loan, that guy josh thompson was dreadful and many others I have seen. I can't remember the last decent defender they had who actually came through their system.

Remember the boy Caddis? Was supposed to be the next Danny McGrain or something and ended up at Swindon Town.

:lenny:

Malcolm Tucker

He doesn't look very Hibs. Nowhere near enough of a scumbag.

On the face of him, looks like a Hearts signing.

ltoshney1_640x360.jpg

Having reconsidered he looks like a Hibs *****.

Which is a pish poor return when you consider the likes of Ritchie / McLaren / Webster / Levein / Berra / Naysmith etc who all came from Hearts.

Archived