Who have been Hearts best wingers?

Sydney

Depends on your age IMO. McCann all day long.

I think you're right, that's why I'm going with Coquhoun, what a player he was

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

J.C.

Neil McCann

Rab Prentice.

Rab played in the first games I started going to, but by God he could be frustrating. Could/would beat defenders twice but sometimes would go back for a third time and mess up. He was lucky that the Buzzbomb was his mate or, I honestly think, from a hazy memory, he would have battered him senseless.

MessengerOfNade

If anyone has mentioned suso hang your head in shame. Good value for a comedy act and making me seethe whilst in disbelief but that's it.

prentice

:cornette:

Bobby Prentice for me. The guy was a magician.

Willie Johnston close behind - he was so direct and lightning fast over short distances.

Sam Nicholson could be as good as any of them - hope he stays.

I actually think Billy King is under-rated. The laddies brilliant and the best corner taker we've had in a while, which can't be undervalued. The assists he'll notch up in a Hearts jersey will be massive and he appears to have the goals to go with it.

We've been blessed with wingers, LB's and CB's over the years.

And goal keepers

Colquhoun, then McCann.

Then a big, big drop to the likes of Juanjo and Valois (who were extremely entertaining players on their day).

Allan Johnston was a winger until we played him through the middle at Ibrox and he scored a hat trick against the Huns. Was as excited about him at the time as I am now about Sam but think he left us too soon to be classed as my favourite for this position.

MacDonald Jardine
Got to be JC. One of my big time heroes. He scored a late equaliser agaisnt his previous club on his home dubut. I'm pretty sure that was the first point of the amazing run that led to Dens in '86.

Probably already been pointed out but he scored the first goal. Celtic scored a late equaliser.

And it was the first game of the season. We lost a few before going on the run.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

queensferryjambo

For my age group this isn't even a debate John Colquhoun was a tremendous player. One of Hearts best ever players IMHO let alone one their best wingers. Outside of his great footballing talent he was consistently good, a lot of wingers blow hot and cold.

Neil McCann is a definite second for me but he wasn't at the club all that long compared to JC. McCann had a definite impact in his first 2 seasons and being part of the 98 Cup team makes him a legend.

Bridge of Djoum

Since my 1st game in 83.

Mccann and Colquhoun.

We have had a good number of excellent wingers but that pair were ''unplayable'' at times.

Or even Denis McQuade?

I remember him scoring a cracker from 20+ yards at Pittodrie once but that apart,I never rated him at all.

queensferryjambo

For those too young to have been around In the 70s,here Is a taste of Rab Prentice

Very nice :)

A cheeky wee John Colquhoun Hat trick on a very breezy day at Love Street -

Maiden Gorgie

McCann just shades it from JC for me. But that may be because McCann's performances are easier to remember!

Remember him taking 2 opposition players out with a back heel/turn on the half way line at Tynie, the year we signed him (v Aberdeen?). Tremendous stuff

As some have said Terry was unplayable on his day.

JC & Neil McCann. these two were so different in style i find it hard to split them. Kenny Aird was up there

its a pity we got him after he'd played his best years for St Johnstone.

John Colquhoun without doubt for me- tremendous player, brave as a lion, played for years in a Hearts team us 40 somethings still have a real love for. Was cool as too. As has been stated Neil McCann the other main contender in the last 30 odd years, a great player too. Interesting thing about Prentice & Aird is how fondly they're remembered from an era when Hearts weren't great. Bit like Drew Busby & Willie Gibson from that team too. Says a lot for them.

Probably already been pointed out but he scored the first goal. Celtic scored a late equaliser.

And it was the first game of the season. We lost a few before going on the run.

Remember the game well. McStay I think got a last gasp equaliser for Celtic. If anyone had told me that equaliser would ultimately cost Hearts the title, I'd have had them sectioned.

When the current crop add their fair share of goals to their game in the top league, then they can start to compare with some of the excellent wingers we`ve had.

MacDonald Jardine

I remember him scoring a cracker from 20+ yards at Pittodrie once but that apart,I never rated him at all.

He did much the same at Easter Road. I think it was the week after.

am i the only one who remembers Johnny Hamilton

Apparently so, old timer :) He was a bit before my time but I've heard all about him and by all accounts he was a terrific talent, but maybe a bit too fond of an after match celebration!

Ian Crawford and Wee Hammy were great then Tommy Traynor, Later Willie Johnston & JC then Magic followed by McCann. Now we have Jamie Walker and Sam Nicholson. Would be happy to have any of these guys

Dalkeith Jambo

Grew up watching JC and in my opinion is the best winger I've seen at Hearts. However, since wee Sam Nicholson broke into the first team I've loved watching him and he has the potential to be one of the best we've ever had.

MacDonald Jardine

John Colquhoun without doubt for me- tremendous player, brave as a lion, played for years in a Hearts team us 40 somethings still have a real love for. Was cool as too. As has been stated Neil McCann the other main contender in the last 30 odd years, a great player too. Interesting thing about Prentice & Aird is how fondly they're remembered from an era when Hearts weren't great. Bit like Drew Busby & Willie Gibson from that team too. Says a lot for them.

It's an age thing I think (and I'm at that age). If you throw in Cruickshank and Donald Ford it's amazing we were so bad in the 70s given the way a chunk of the team is remembered.

The Hearts Greats book had 9 chapters and 2 were from that team.

i wish jj was my dad

Tough call.

Neil McCann probably just shades JC and Eammon Bannon would be my third choice.

Sam Nicholson has the potential to beat them all.

Thought Eamonn Bannon was a classy player and I remember him more from his second spell.

As I say, a true quality winger is one who scores regularly from that position.

To be forceful enough to not only get crosses in or beat men ,but to have the nous to get in the box and create your own chances or ping them in from distance is a sign of real quality.

As mentioned a few times John Colquhoun and Neil McCann would probably get my vote with King , Walker and Nicholson possessing everything in their locker to be at that level, esp the latter.

Neil McCann in his first spell absolutely electric! The League Cup final against Rangers, they couldn't get near him!

Alan Magic Johnston

I'm too young to really remember watching JC, so it's McCann for me. The LC final against Rangers is one of the best individual performances I've seen in any game, especially ridiculous considering he finished on the losing side.

We've had some good wingers since, who've had good spells, but none that have come close to how consistently good McCann was during his first spell with us. Every time he got on the ball in '98, you felt like something was going to happen.

In my time, has to be JC. Others have done well (McCann especially springs to mind) but still dont come close. David Hagen or Leigh Jenkinson easily the worst.

Tynecastle Valhalla

Beslija

Seriously though colquhoun and McCann at their best were just incredible.

Rudi isn't a winger

In more recent times I liked suso Santana and templeton for a brief period. Driver was brilliant for half a season

Gregory House M.D.

Come on now, Driver was brilliant from the day he broke through right up to his injury. Hence the fact we turned down ?3.5m for him.

Come on now, Driver was brilliant from the day he broke through right up to his injury. Hence the fact we turned down ?3.5m for him.

I always felt that story about the rejected deal was a bit fishy. Smacks a bit of Vlad wanting to be seen as being a big shot for turning down good cash.

Bobby Prentice and Kenny Aird from my youth. Remember Aird scoring in the 4-1 game in sept 73 was my first derby after moving south from elgin.

Gregory House M.D.

I always felt that story about the rejected deal was a bit fishy. Smacks a bit of Vlad wanting to be seen as being a big shot for turning down good cash.

Even if it was, ?2.5m really was turned down from Burnley. Twente's ?3.5m was never confirmed or denied IIRC. I probably should have said "hence the fact we turned down ?2.5m" thinking about it. :lol:

Great thread this with all the older and younger Jambos taking part.

Without a shadow of a doubt the most succesful winger ever to play for us was Gordon Smith. Won 5 championship medals without ever playing for the OF.

He won three of them with Hibs. Yes, Hibs. No, I'm not pi**ed. He did.

Everyone thought he was well past his best when he left us for Dundee but he won it with them as well.

Not sure he was the best we've had by the time he pulled on a maroon jersey but he is certainly the highest achiever.

And the seethe from ER when he joined us is still a very pleasant memory.

Archived