Should kids be allowed to play in the streets like we did ???

Susie-Jambo-66

Susie-Jambo-66

~With out the fear of neighbours moaning at them .

Our kids were out playing kirby today when the neighbours told them to move on. They are 11 & 12 yr old The dont play outside with a ball all the time as they are mostly out on there bikes or roller blades but still get get told to play somewhere else when they live there. Now my kids are not bad kids they don't smash windows or slash tyres they are just kids playing out side there house.

Why do older folk not have time for kids now a days do they forget they were once kids and they had kids that wanted to play.

The neighbour I am talking about phoned the police who came out and laughed at the fact they were telling 2 kids off for playing outside there house.

Does anyone else have these problems ?????:eek:

Our kids were out playing kirby today when the neighbours told them to move on. They are 11 & 12 yr old The dont play outside with a ball all the time as they are mostly out on there bikes or roller blades but still get get told to play somewhere else when they live there. Now my kids are not bad kids they don't smash windows or slash tyres they are just kids playing out side there house.

Why do older folk not have time for kids now a days do they forget they were once kids and they had kids that wanted to play.

The neighbour I am talking about phoned the police who came out and laughed at the fact they were telling 2 kids off for playing outside there house.

Snobby neighbours are one of my biggest pet hates.

I was in the garden of my old place when a snob above asked if I would go back in because she was working on a Sunday afternoon from home... her reason, my four year old niece was making a noise... wtf.

Get an element of that everywhere tbh. I'm 17 now but can remember being warned off by something resembling Yoda when I was much younger.

I was in the garden of my old place when a snob above asked if I would go back in because she was working on a Sunday afternoon from home... her reason, my four year old niece was making a noise... wtf.

I hope you told her to go lie in her pish Kenny.

Remember being told off a few times when I was younger for walking across the grass in front of someone's house. This may not sound unreasonable but I live in Forrester Park, the entire place is full of flats with 'gardens' that have neither a fence nor belong to a single person.

The woman two down from me used to tell us to stop playing football in front of the house but we are talking twenty yards away and on a seperate part of grass from the flat. The only reason must have been she didn't like the noise. This stopped when I told my mum about it one time she was round. Never one to back down from a confrontation, my mum stormed down the stair and gave the moody boot (who was/is younger than my mum) a piece of her mind. We were free to play after that :)

coppercrutch

EH7...:rolleyes:

eddie fenwick

dont get me started,i live on a new estate and believe it or not they never built a place for kids to play,anyway there is a big grassy bit in the middle of the estate where the boys play football(miles away from house)but one day some old P**** took there ball of them,i was at work so savages wife went round to retrieve it as the kids where to scared only for the polis to be there telling P**** there is nothing he could do as no signs where up saying no ball games,anyway i got in from work and made the kids come up and play football with me there,not a thing so i go home only for p***** to call the police again,this time they threatened to charge him,everytime the kids are up there he stands and stares at them and i think the local bill might be interested that there is a fully grown man staring at 8 year olds,MORE THAN ONE WAY OF SKINNING A CAT.

dont get me started,i live on a new estate and believe it or not they never built a place for kids to play,anyway there is a big grassy bit in the middle of the estate where the boys play football(miles away from house)but one day some old P**** took there ball of them,i was at work so savages wife went round to retrieve it as the kids where to scared only for the polis to be there telling P**** there is nothing he could do as no signs where up saying no ball games,anyway i got in from work and made the kids come up and play football with me there,not a thing so i go home only for p***** to call the police again,this time they threatened to charge him,everytime the kids are up there he stands and stares at them and i think the local bill might be interested that there is a fully grown man staring at 8 year olds,MORE THAN ONE WAY OF SKINNING A CAT.

Always hated the hypocrisy and cowardice of some of the people that complained about us playing football. On Saturday mornings I used to go with my dad when he went to play 5-a-side. When we were waiting for a lift we used to kick the ball about at the garages beside my house. Any ball, even an indoor one, hitting a garage ball can make a bit of a bang but we never used to get anyone complaining - even before 9am on a Sat morning.

As the garages were basically ready made goals me and my mates started playing there when there was only a couple of us as you could get some decent 1-1 games. We rarely had an opportunity to get through a single game when it was just us as people would complain constantly, even during the day, during the week.

It was of course reasonable to ask us not to play there, but what really boiled my blood was that they never ever said anything when it was me and my old man, and that was quite early on a Sat morning. I think some miserable *******s just like the satisfaction of shouting at kids because it's the only power they get in their sad little lives.

As a child our activites on South Oxford Street were very limited. Nonetheless we played them often resulting in being spoken to by the polis and told to desist. We were also chased for playing football after school in Preston Street School. In later years I visited my parents in the same street it was basically a childrens playground, and driving the old people to distraction. The school playground was also being used for the purpose for which it was built. The system seems to be cyclical.

Here now as a result of the number of weirdos and child molesters outdoor unsupervised play is almost extinct. What is more common is street hockey games on the street directly in front of parents homes, or even in driveways.

Recently I have made contact with two of the kids I played with in the 40's and 50's, the memories and laughs are unbeatable, the freedoms we enjoyed despite minimal restrictions were unbelievable, I have nothing but sympathy for the kids of today and their lack of spontaniety in their pastimes. I however did by purchasing a home in an over 55 gated community insulate myself from the nuisance that kids doing what I done now causes me.

Jamie_the_Jambo

I stayed in flat where each household had their own car parking space.

The police came to the door one morning as my mate had parked his car in my neighbours spot and the neighbour wasnt pleased he had parked there.

The police asked us to move the vehicle.

This is incredible as the neighbour in question doesnt have a car.

I said this to the copper and he was a bit ****ed off to say the least.

Still, we had to move the car.

Jamie

eddie fenwick
I stayed in flat where each household had their own car parking space.

The police came to the door one morning as my mate had parked his car in my neighbours spot and the neighbour wasnt pleased he had parked there.

The police asked us to move the vehicle.

This is incredible as the neighbour in question doesnt have a car.

I said this to the copper and he was a bit ****ed off to say the least.

Still, we had to move the car.

Jamie

the best i cant remember along they lines is we played dunfermline one wed night and parked in a side st of the halbeath rd only for some old couple to come out ranting that there son sometimes parks there,funny how people think they own the street outside their house

Where I grew up we used to have twenty kids in a (whats now a car park (park and ride at that)) playing football or hide and seek or whatever. We got moaned at and downgraded our football to a plastic ball and then a sponge ball! Which sucked.

Now it is full of cars morning to night when there used to be just one car. But the kids just dont seem interested in playing outside these days. Seen a few wee girls wandering about the last few weeks but it seems to be a thing of the past. I used to get the dreaded line "its a beautiful day out there get out and play" so id have to decamp all my pals to someone elses house to play Premier Manager or whatever the game of the moment was. Although we did play football most days to be honest.

I hope you told her to go lie in her pish Kenny.

Once my sister and neice went in, I had a quiet word and she never complained again.

Coppercrutch.... it was in EH3... which isnt surprising I suppose. they refused bins in the street cos they would only be able to fit 12 landrovers on the street rather than 15, they used the term cars but their must have been about 9 or 10 4wd's in the street.

The Old Tolbooth
Once my sister and neice went in, I had a quiet word and she never complained again.

Coppercrutch.... it was in EH3... which isnt surprising I suppose. they refused bins in the street cos they would only be able to fit 12 landrovers on the street rather than 15, they used the term cars but their must have been about 9 or 10 4wd's in the street.

I usually find a baseball bat quietens these tossers down too ;)

alwaysthereinspirit

Tell the neighbours to go suck an egg.

To all those who castigated the McCann family, when your kids are out playing, I hope you are watching them all the time. :rolleyes:

jamboinglasgow

I think part of it depends on how well you know your neighbours. Where I lived when I was young was a cul-de-sac. The street was a big oval and the part I lived was at the end of a long straight. Anyway, everone for a strech for about 20 houses knew each other. THere were quite a few children on the part and they all got on with each other and had fun. A few years ago we even had mock battles in the street and never had any complaint. Never had a complaint as the neighbours knew the children and so trusted them. THey knew if anything went wrong there would an apology which was meant.

THe street still is quite a close street (partly thanks to my mum and a few other key people in the street) and every year there is a street party and house party for new year where the whole street is invited to one house. Think the loss of neighbour is a big problem which needs to be solved.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Bugs the **** out of me this kind of stuff.

No ball games allowed.

What??? How the feck do you expect children to stay healthy, grow up and have a good childhood?!

You seriously have to join some sort of club/team nowadays if you want to kick a ball about anywhere.

Sad state of affairs and something that should be addressed immediately.

It wasn't even that long ago since I was a bairn and that's how I feel on the matter!!

To all those who castigated the McCann family, when your kids are out playing, I hope you are watching them all the time. :rolleyes:

As long as the parents dont p*** off to the pub and forget about them there should'nt be any problems.

When i was wee our street was a playground between certain hours ( cant remember what) . Didnt stop the old batdown stairs from complaining all the time. Even told my wee brother she was going to get complain to the council about the noise he was making. He was learning to WALK.. My mum had him in her arms when she got on to him...:eek:

Only complained when my dad was at work though.. He went down to her door and we were all in the street shouting shes hiding behind her curtains :)

I P Knightley
Always hated the hypocrisy and cowardice of some of the people that complained about us playing football. On Saturday mornings I used to go with my dad when he went to play 5-a-side. When we were waiting for a lift we used to kick the ball about at the garages beside my house. Any ball, even an indoor one, hitting a garage ball can make a bit of a bang but we never used to get anyone complaining - even before 9am on a Sat morning.

Come round near me banging garage doors at that time on a hangover morning and you'll get more than a scowl!

Seriously though, I think folk are more likely to complain about kids' innocent play because times (and the press) have taught us that kids are far more likely now to be tearaways than 30 years ago when it was me out roaming the streets & parks.

I like Eddie's idea of getting out there for a while with the kids. That would give reassurance to any genuinely concerned neighbours and at the same time give a loose salute to the interfering busybodies.

I'm off to teach my 8-year-old some kerbie!

Legend Claws

I never had much bother with my immediate neighbours but there used to be this old bloke called Mr Revel who was an evil fecker. He had two houses next door to each other to house his clan of children (devout Catholic, you do the math) and if your ball/aerobee etc went in his garden he would come out and snatch it away. Our Dads used to have to go round and 'ask' for them back on a regular basis. He actually backed on to our house and the stuff that used to go on his garden beggars belief. He was notorious for belting dogs and cats if they wandered in to his garden. He would actually sneer at you if he passed you in the street horrible *******.

I believe me and my pals were the pioneers of the dog ****e in a flaming paper brown bag trick in my area...

Stuart Lyon

When we moved to our current house my son was 10 and occasionally he would play in the enclosed communal garden. Everything was frowned on with mystery voices asking from behind hedges if he was playing cricket with a soft ball (he was using a sponge ball) and on another occasion when he and a friend were playing with one of these rocket missile thingys it accidentally hit a neighbours window (no damage as it too is a soft toy) but she confiscated it. I asked her to return it as she was technically stealing it but it took the intervention of one of her near neighbours to resolve the matter by her returning the toy. Another day when my son still about 10 he was clearing leaves from the patio with an electric leave blower a neighbour came over and asked him to stop as he couldn't concentrate to read his Sunday paper. Now we aren't talking about early on a Sunday. He wouldn't respond to me when I asked him what the problem was! Needless to say the chore was completed. Now 10 years later there are young children who run riot in the garden and their dads join in. The children run through the flower beds and are basically abandoned by their parents because it is a secure area. The hypocrites who challenged my lad just ignore the abuse of the garden.

blondejamtart

Difference is, the McCanns' kids were all under five - most responsible parents wouldn't let under fives play out in the street unsupervised in any case.

I would play outside in my street all the time when I was younger.

Ignore the the auld *******s. The worst they can do is phone the police, who when/if they come will tell auld yin's that they are doing nothing wrong.

John Findlay

Having been mostly brought up in West Pilton from the age of 0-16. The one thing I really noticed last summer during the school holidays was the lack of bairns playing in the street. Having left in 1979 and not coming back until 2005 this is the big difference I have noticed. No bairns playing out.

One of the reasons is due to the fact that the streets are now full of cars. In the 70s cars were definitely a minority in the streets. Street fitbaw was the game using the gates to the stairs as goals. All day games were the norm. Only stopping for your dinner and your tea. In winter the street lamps were your floodlights. Simple stuff compared to nowadays but, I wouldnt have swopped any of it for the world.

John

eddie fenwick
Come round near me banging garage doors at that time on a hangover morning and you'll get more than a scowl!

Seriously though, I think folk are more likely to complain about kids' innocent play because times (and the press) have taught us that kids are far more likely now to be tearaways than 30 years ago when it was me out roaming the streets & parks.

I like Eddie's idea of getting out there for a while with the kids. That would give reassurance to any genuinely concerned neighbours and at the same time give a loose salute to the interfering busybodies.

I'm off to teach my 8-year-old some kerbie!

ive lots of good ideas,dont think this boards suitable tho:)

jambopompey

being dragged up in Livingston, we had plenty of fields to play fitba in.

i can mind our first house in dedridge, the side of our house sided onto a small bit of grass, which we used for rounders, the windows where well out of range, a primary school across the road with a football pitch, a small wooded area with a big pond between the rises, which allow us to play soldiers, gangy's climbing, vennels between houses where great for long bangy, loads of kerbs for kerby.

think it was when folk started buying their houses from the council did they start complaining about us playing next to their houses.

the street lights where our time to go home, they come on or you'd one of your pals mum shouting to come in.

Having been mostly brought up in West Pilton from the age of 0-16. The one thing I really noticed last summer during the school holidays was the lack of bairns playing in the street. Having left in 1979 and not coming back until 2005 this is the big difference I have noticed. No bairns playing out.

One of the reasons is due to the fact that the streets are now full of cars. In the 70s cars were definitely a minority in the streets. Street fitbaw was the game using the gates to the stairs as goals. All day games were the norm. Only stopping for your dinner and your tea. In winter the street lamps were your floodlights. Simple stuff compared to nowadays but, I wouldnt have swopped any of it for the world.

John

I grew up in the 90's and I think it was very much the same. It's only changed in the past 10 years or so.

I P Knightley
I never had much bother with my immediate neighbours but there used to be this old bloke called Mr Revel who was an evil fecker. He had two houses next door to each other to house his clan of children (devout Catholic, you do the math) and if your ball/aerobee etc went in his garden he would come out and snatch it away. Our Dads used to have to go round and 'ask' for them back on a regular basis. He actually backed on to our house and the stuff that used to go on his garden beggars belief. He was notorious for belting dogs and cats if they wandered in to his garden. He would actually sneer at you if he passed you in the street horrible *******.

I believe me and my pals were the pioneers of the dog ****e in a flaming paper brown bag trick in my area...

I think I knew a couple of his daughters :P:dribble:

Out Juniper GreenCurrie/Balerno way somewhere?

Legend Claws
I think I knew a couple of his daughters :P:dribble:

Out Juniper GreenCurrie/Balerno way somewhere?

Really? Yeah out in Balerno!!! How did you know them? As far as I know they were all as nuts as him.

Archived