"I tried to renew my season ticket"

JennytheJambo

JennytheJambo

I sent my application away on the 2nd April. I hadn't heard anything so thought all was ok.

On Saturday (17th May) 6 weeks later, I received an envelope with all the documents in it returned via the Royal Mail. I hold my hand up to the mistake I made and that I underpaid 6p postage which Hearts refused to accept and need I say more. I sent this application away so that it could be processed before the deadline for the reduced prices.

I phoned the ticket office this morning, who I couldn't believe how unhelpful and uncaring they were. They said that they couldn't be blamed for not taking in the envelope and if I wanted my season ticket I would have to pay the full price as the deadline was over. They had no apology and did not offer to accept my application. I was rather appalled at their attitude and said that after being a season ticket holder for the last 20 years, why couldn't they have just added the 6p to my overall payment. I basically told them where to stick there season ticket. They have just lost a sale for ?524.00 this being myself and daughter.

I know I am probably sounding selfish and that I should have made sure that the correct postage was paid but we all make mistakes.

Have I the right to be angry? or should I just blame myself for my own stupidity?

I would be angry too. A season ticket for 20 years and thay won't give a bit of leeway. It would be easy to check your story then apply some common sense,

Rudolf's Mate

I think you certainly have the right. Was the envelope mark 'Season Ticket' or something along those lines? If it was and they knew what was in it then I would be really peeved. Then there is also the fact of how you've been treated when you phoned.

Things certainly have changed of late. Living down south, whenever I wanted to come up for some of the big games, Hobos, Rankgers, Smeltic I always sent a fax saying I was coming up and could I please have a ticket and always gave my seat where I had my season ticket for years. They always bent over backwards!

ToadKiller Dog

Speak to someone senior at the club ,seems a genuine mistake you made you sent it out at the correct time,a bit churlish of them to act in such away.

Chip Douglas
I sent my application away on the 2nd April. I hadn't heard anything so thought all was ok.

On Saturday (17th May) 6 weeks later, I received an envelope with all the documents in it returned via the Royal Mail. I hold my hand up to the mistake I made and that I underpaid 6p postage which Hearts refused to accept and need I say more. I sent this application away so that it could be processed before the deadline for the reduced prices.

I phoned the ticket office this morning, who I couldn't believe how unhelpful and uncaring they were. They said that they couldn't be blamed for not taking in the envelope and if I wanted my season ticket I would have to pay the full price as the deadline was over. They had no apology and did not offer to accept my application. I was rather appalled at their attitude and said that after being a season ticket holder for the last 20 years, why couldn't they have just added the 6p to my overall payment. I basically told them where to stick there season ticket. They have just lost a sale for ?524.00 this being myself and daughter.

I know I am probably sounding selfish and that I should have made sure that the correct postage was paid but we all make mistakes.

Have I the right to be angry? or should I just blame myself for my own stupidity?

I'd write a letter and explain the circumstances.

The latter. How was the ticket office to know you were a long standing ST holder?

Rudolf's Mate
The latter. How was the ticket office to know you were a long standing ST holder?

Maybe after calling to point out the mistake and still being treated like a piece of muck!

European Jambos Mum

did you not realise the money had not come out of your account? may be you should have done it over the phone. anyway try e-mailing Lawrence. I had a problem with my season tickets a couple of years ago and he helped get it sorted.:)

Maybe after calling to point out the mistake and still being treated like a piece of muck!

We only have Jenny's word for that.

I know a lady who used to work in the ticket office and some of the stories she told about the bammers she had to deal with were truly hair-raising. Nothing is ever the customer's fault, always Hearts/TO*.

* Delete as applicable.

The Old Tolbooth

I would probably agree with that, however a letter to the head bummer at Tynie might do the trick Jenny, I'd be miffed as well but you can't expect the club to know at the time you've been a ST holder for 20 years, however they could have been a bit more sympathetic when you explained this over the phone and have missed a good opportunity for some decent PR.

however a letter to the head bummer at Tynie might do the trick

I'd recommend that too John. I had an ST problem a couple of years ago and the club was very helpful when I explained the situation.

Rawrrrrrrr

My employer has a policy not to accept underpaid mail unless its clearly marked for someones attention and is expected.

Although its 6p they also have to pay ?1 fee, on top of this they either need to arrange for someone to frank a card and return it or collect the mail

All these monies add up

As for their attitude when calling, well they were right, its your responsibility to ensure arrival and payment and not vice versa

You could give it a go but you dont have any reason to be peeved as it is your fault in its entirety im afraid

Only a Game

Accept you got it wrong. Take the ?60 punishment for doing so. Renew your season tickets.

Was that the answer you were looking for. ?

The Old Tolbooth
I'd recommend that too John. I had an ST problem a couple of years ago and the club was very helpful when I explained the situation.

The only trouble is, who the hell is the head bummer these days? :confused:

We only have Jenny's word for that.

I know a lady who used to work in the ticket office and some of the stories she told about the bammers she had to deal with were truly hair-raising. Nothing is ever the customer's fault, always Hearts/TO*.

* Delete as applicable.

:rolleyes:

Jenny's word is good enough for me....regardless, the TO have the ability to check these things out anyway. I'm sure they're not so incompetent and useless that they haven't discovered the benefits of databases.

Jenny - That's totally shocking behaviour from a customer service perspective. It was a genuine mistake on your part and hopefully, also a genuine mistake on their part for refusing to pay an extra 6p to accept your application. Their attitude stinks though, that's the worst part....they could at least have offered to refer it to someone more senior. Pfft. I'd definitely contact someone at the club about this. They would be absolutely within their rights to say they weren't at fault but I'd be very surprised if they didn't help you out. I guess Ali Russell would have been the best person but given that they haven't replaced him yet, I don't know who else to suggest. I'm sure someone on here will know though.

Definitely follow it up though, and make sure you tell them how bloody rude and unhelpful the TO had been..... :)

JennytheJambo
:rolleyes:

Jenny's word is good enough for me....regardless, the TO have the ability to check these things out anyway. I'm sure they're not so incompetent and useless that they haven't discovered the benefits of databases.

Jenny - That's totally shocking behaviour from a customer service perspective. It was a genuine mistake on your part and hopefully, also a genuine mistake on their part for refusing to pay an extra 6p to accept your application. Their attitude stinks though, that's the worst part....they could at least have offered to refer it to someone more senior. Pfft. I'd definitely contact someone at the club about this. They would be absolutely within their rights to say they weren't at fault but I'd be very surprised if they didn't help you out. I guess Ali Russell would have been the best person but given that they haven't replaced him yet, I don't know who else to suggest. I'm sure someone on here will know though.

Definitely follow it up though, and make sure you tell them how bloody rude and unhelpful the TO had been..... :)

Thanks. I am not a nasty person and was very pleasant on the phone when I explained the situation. It was there attitude and unhelpfulness that shocked me.

PresidentRomanov

I can't believe Hearts aren't taking responsibility for Jenny paying the wrong postage :rolleyes:

Point out to them that it is a very easy mistake to make, as they themself done in the last couple of years.

Surely you should get it at the reduced prices as the form shows when you tried to do it.

The TO as a whole is a shambles, the amount of times I had to go down to pick up single tickets because they couldnt manage to put my season ticket in an envelope and send it out within 6 weeks is a joke.

PresidentRomanov
Point out to them that it is a very easy mistake to make, as they themself done in the last couple of years.

Surely you should get it at the reduced prices as the form shows when you tried to do it.

The TO as a whole is a shambles, the amount of times I had to go down to pick up single tickets because they couldnt manage to put my season ticket in an envelope and send it out within 6 weeks is a joke.

I thought it would be the ticket office's fault :rolleyes:

Thanks. I am not a nasty person and was very pleasant on the phone when I explained the situation. It was there attitude and unhelpfulness that shocked me.

I'd be just as hacked off if it had been me. Yes, you made a mistake but there's no excuse for that sort of attitude. Maybe nothing can be done now, but they might have at least offered to see if they could help you.

The club are normally so helpful, I'm sure they'd be interested to hear about your less-than-ideal customer service experience even if they can't do much about the STs.

:)

Commander Harris

while I sympathise with the OP and would agree that the ticket office staff should be as courteous as possible I don't think it is fair to lay the blame solely at them.

They did not receive the initial application as it did not have the appropriate postage. Yes they could have paid the fine(which would be considerably more than the 6p) for it but as Prancer said it is common practice for businesses not to do so due to the inconvenience and expense that would mount up, and there would be no way of them knowing if it was important or not.

so essentially, the ticket office did not receive the application and there is no way for them to know that what the customer says is true.

What is to stop anyone phoning up claiming that they sent an application before the discount ended? Are the club to accept everyone who makes such a claim?

I'd write a letter and explain the circumstances.

Mind and put a stamp on it though;)

I'd be just as hacked off if it had been me. Yes, you made a mistake but there's no excuse for that sort of attitude. Maybe nothing can be done now, but they might have at least offered to see if they could help you.

The club are normally so helpful, I'm sure they'd be interested to hear about your less-than-ideal customer service experience even if they can't do much about the STs.

:)

Ray Winstone
while I sympathise with the OP and would agree that the ticket office staff should be as courteous as possible I don't think it is fair to lay the blame solely at them.

They did not receive the initial application as it did not have the appropriate postage. Yes they could have paid the fine(which would be considerably more than the 6p) for it but as Prancer said it is common practice for businesses not to do so due to the inconvenience and expense that would mount up, and there would be no way of them knowing if it was important or not.

so essentially, the ticket office did not receive the application and there is no way for them to know that what the customer says is true.

Was looking for the tactfull way of saying that - what he said.

PresidentRomanov

What is to stop anyone phoning up claiming that they sent an application before the discount ended? Are the club to accept everyone who makes such a claim?

That's right Commander, she could've been one of the "rebels" having a change of mind after today's managerial revelations :)

Commander Harris
That's right Commander, she could've been one of the "rebels" having a change of mind after today's managerial revelations :)

I don't doubt the OPs honesty, my point was that there is no way for the club to know that.

PresidentRomanov
I don't doubt the OPs honesty, my point was that there is no way for the club to know that.

Exactly, there's no way of anyone knowing :)

Correct. There are a lot of bitter hobos and sellik fhans out there who would take great delight in sending hundreds of thousands of unstamped/underpaid mail to Hearts in order to cost us money and swamp the ticket office. Hearts and the ticket office can't afford to let their guard slip.

Rawrrrrrrr

Can I just add re the phrase unhelpful and attitude

Tbh they stated the facts, what else can they do, people need to realise there is a difference between bad service and stating the facts of a situation

All to often people mistake the latter when it goes against what they want for bad service

Rawrrrrrrr
Correct. There are a lot of bitter hobos and sellik fhans out there who would take great delight in sending hundreds of thousands of unstamped/underpaid mail to Hearts in order to cost us money and swamp the ticket office. Hearts and the ticket office can't afford to let their guard slip.

Anyone got an address for the celtic ticket office?:rolleyes:

PresidentRomanov
Can I just add re the phrase unhelpful and attitude

Tbh they stated the facts, what else can they do, people need to realise there is a difference between bad service and stating the facts of a situation

All to often people mistake the latter when it goes against what they want for bad service

That's correct Prancer, they could've fed her grapes and fanned her while they were explaining the situation, but at the end of the day, she isn't happy she's not getting what she shouldn't, and therefore has the hump.

In a nutshell, they can't win :)

Anyone got an address for the celtic ticket office?:rolleyes:

I suspect many of the posters on here do. :sad:

Because they have records you drongo.

Dean Winchester
I suspect many of the posters on here do. :sad:

I also suspect a number of posters on here know the address for the Rangers Ticket Office... :rolleyes:

How would the know from a package? The handwriting.

How does that have anything to do with anythong anyway. 19 previous renewels and still cant get it done right.:wacko:

Jenny, hold off then, wait and see if a new manager actually appears, cos if not and the ST sales stall I'm sure they'll be champing at the bit to throw incentives everyone's way in the hope to get more sold :D

Call Centre bods go by their screens and the rules handed out, you won't get anywhere with them, only a letter to Broadie or Ogilvie with evidence might get you the cheaper price.

Cut out the personal abuse please. As you're well aware, I was referring to how the ticket office would know she's a long standing ST-holder when the only evidence presented to them was an underpaid envelope.

I trust this clarifies this issue. :)

Commander Harris
Jenny, hold off then, wait and see if a new manager actually appears, cos if not and the ST sales stall I'm sure they'll be champing at the bit to throw incentives everyone's way in the hope to get more sold :D

Call Centre bods go by their screens and the rules handed out, you won't get anywhere with them, only a letter to Broadie or Ogilvie with evidence might get you the cheaper price.

indeed. worth contacting someone at the club but the ticket office employees on the phone will just be working to the rules that they have been given.

I thought it would be the ticket office's fault :rolleyes:

Can you point out where exactly I stated it was the ticket offices fault?

I think it is reasonable to expect the ticket office to be more understanding though. Especially in the current circumstances I think they should be trying a bit harder to keep customers happy any way possible.

I appreciate that it was a genuine mistake but I don't think the club would have refused the extra postage............

I know at my offices, if the postage doesn't cover the package, we don't get it delivered and often don't get a card to notify us so there is not much we can do about it.

Agreed, a poor attitude is rank and there is no excuse but perhaps they never got notification of the failed delivery in the first place.

Happened to me many times through customer incompetence but we would always try and disfuse the situation with a sympathetic ear....

WeeToonJambo

I would suggest writing to David Southern. I had a problem earlier this season and wrote to him. He phoned me within 48 hours and was very helpful. He might not be able to do anything about your ticket but he will be able to advise you.

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ContactUs/0,,10289,00.html

If you send an email to the customer services department they will deal with it,as i work in the superstore i have close contact with the ticket office and am surprised to hear of your complaint of a bad attitude from the ticket office as they have been very helpful in the past with customers.

Chad Sexington

Sorry, no sympathy for the OP here.

How hard is it to check you've paid the correct postage?

Assuming everyone was being polite then I'm surprised the TO didn't at least say bring in the envelope as proof and we'll see what we can do. I imagine it would be date stamped and saying Return To Sender ( ba doop ba doop ba doop ;) ) or whatever. If you believe what you read on here, the STs have clearly not been going well ..... so knocking back a long standing customer is bad business not to mention bad swag IMO. However, as many folk have said, get in touch with Tynie again and I'm sure they will sort you out at last years price cos I'm sure The Edinburgh Evening Hibby would just love to run a TO 'breaks hearts' story ;)

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ContactUs/0,,10289,00.html

If you send an email to the customer services department they will deal with it,as i work in the superstore i have close contact with the ticket office and am surprised to hear of your complaint of a bad attitude from the ticket office as they have been very helpful in the past with customers.

From my experience that won't get her far. If I'm lucky I've had a 10% response rate to emails I've sent to any of Hearts emails addresses.

Forgot to say

Well done to certain posters for SOMEHOW managing to find a Celtic angle to this story :wacko::(

yvonnejambo
Assuming everyone was being polite then I'm surprised the TO didn't at least say bring in the envelope as proof and we'll see what we can do. I imagine it would be date stamped and saying Return To Sender ( ba doop ba doop ba doop ;) ) or whatever.

Thats what I would expect the TO to ask for, surely the date stamp would clarify that at least Jenny sent it early enough. Very poor if they dont give her ST at the original price IMO.

Sorry, no sympathy for the OP here.

How hard is it to check you've paid the correct postage?

These new fangled size differentials on the postage can confuse! Well they can confuse me!

I've always found the ticket office to be pretty helpful, and I am sure that if you explain the situation to the supervisors/Hearts admin staff then they will help you out.

Given the marketing spend that they have been doing and the weak season ticket sales, I would assume that they would try to keep customers happy at this point?

Tokyo Drifter

Ring the Evening News sports desk and tell Barry Gordon you've got a story for him. Embarras the club into giving you the reduced rate.

Archived