Jambos are crying out for our own new heroes

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Jambos-are-crying-out-.4096761.jp

By GEORGE FOULKES

DEATH in football has a way of uniting people and an uncanny ability to span even the most bitter of divides.

It focuses the mind, makes fans and players question their own mortality, and creates a time for reflection that suspends the norm for days, even weeks.

As we prepare for the funeral of Tommy Burns tomorrow, it is clear the great esteem he was held in across the sporting world, from Govan to Gorgie.

To many, he was not simply a legend, but a hero. A man revered for his friendship as much as his time in football.

The scenes outside Parkhead as strips, flowers and scarves were laid out in respect showed just how much he meant not just Celtic fans, but those across the colours, in much the same way as people united in grief at the sad passing of Phil O'Donnell this season.

Yet not every footballer, former or otherwise, can be assured such an outpouring of emotion. Not everyone can be a hero.

Looking at Hearts FC, we have had our fair share of footballing greats. Willie Bauld the King among them, to this day still in our thoughts with an annual memorial dinner.

Few provoke the same reverence he does, but there are a few, John Robertson, Gary Mackay, Freddie Glidden, Craig Levein and the late, great Tommy Walker among them. I still remember the tears when Robbo left for Newcastle.

It really takes an extra special player and person to achieve such status. I wonder if we will see their likes again in Gary Glen, from Livingston, or Scott Robinson of Dumbiedykes.

They have the potential to be not only heroes, but local heroes. Important, as I found visiting the SMILE Group in the Calders last week. It was packed with Jambos, all asking what I thought was happening at the club and one person even had a lad in the youth team.

We've also seen in the past how foreign players have been taken to heart by fans – Pasquale Bruno, Gilles Rousset, St?phane Adam and now Laryea Kingston.

Yet it is taking longer for our latest crop of foreign talent to come close and that says much about our club.

It is calling out for a hero. A player to inspire – someone to do what Stephen Pressley did to great effect – but at the moment I just don't see anyone like that. Given Tynecastle's revolving door policy, no wonder. It's hard to win over fans in the way Rudi Skacel did without having consistency.

Current policy at Tynecastle has done little to engender a feeling of hero worship from the stands.

Mark McGhee has achieved that status at Motherwell now, with many suggesting he could be new man to coach Hearts.

Walter Smith was drummed out of Rangers not so long ago. Now he's back, and last week came close to gaining legend status.

The league and cup could yet see him achieve a treble, but at least he was dignified in disappointment when McGhee was able to dent their title ambitions.

Smith was just as eloquent at the Scottish Football Writers dinner I attended a week past Sunday. His was as fabulous a speech as I've heard in many years – be it from sportsmen, politicians or anyone. Witty, compelling, and off the cuff, adding to its credibility.

Clearly he was among the few aware of how far Tommy Burns had turned for the worse, and paid a handsome tribute.

Some of us in the room, myself included, had enjoyed the privilege of meeting Tommy in happier times, our lives all the richer for it – as should be the case in any meeting with living legends.

Among my fondest footballing memories was meeting my own hero; Stanley Matthews.

A wizard up the right wing, he played until he was 50. He was the first footballer ever to be knighted and still the only one to have been so while still playing.

I met him at the launch of a book I'd written for called Football and the Commons People, edited by Alistair Campbell, the former PM's spokesman.

He was the main attraction, people queuing to have their photo taken with him – me with my Hearts scarf.

When he died in 2000, I was hugely upset. My hero was gone, but I had a memory to treasure.

Tomorrow we mark the passing of a hero for many. As we look back, I can't help but wonder when, for Hearts, we will have our own new hero, and how they will one day be remembered.

New stand should honour those we lost

HERO is actually a term that has been cheapened through over use across the years, and I am guilty for playing my part.

Yet as World wars have shown us, Hearts have had some real heroes, not just legends, commemorated now at Contalmaison in France; ones who paid the ultimate price. I was fortunate enough to be at the unveiling of the beautiful cairn there in their memory.

The ceremony even seemed to spawn its very own Saltire in the sky as two white lines crossed in an azure blue sky.

The build up has now started for many making the trip there again this year. And in November, attention will turn to the memorial at Haymarket station for Remembrance Day.

I'd like to think when the new stand is built a Tynecastle, there may be a way of commemorating our heroes. Because there are some people we should never forget.

It just backs up what Frail was saying a few days ago....that there are no real characters or natural leaders in the squad. I know things have been rubbish for a variety of reasons but one thing that makes bad results more difficult to bear is the idea that nobody on the pitch really cares. There's no evidence of anybody having a real fire in their belly and that's something which really gets to the support, because its as if they just don't care at all.

I thoroughly enjoyed Robbie's testimonial but one thing that really bugged me was the fact that the current team seemed to lack the sense of humour required for these occasions. They went through the motions but they didn't seem to 'get' what it was all about at all...never mind realise how lucky they were to be sharing a pitch with our heroes of the past. I'll make one exception...Ruben Palazuelos seemed to have a grin permanently plastered to his face - even when he was sent flying by Stevie Fulton. He seemed to have the right idea and it was noticeable that his team mates just didn't at all and that depresses me a bit. Seeing Jose Quitongo bossing Larry around made me laugh and watching the banter between all the old stars of the past was brilliant because it made me remember all the good stuff about being a Jambo...but it was bittersweet too.

We've had a horrible time this season and we're crying out for someone to step up to the mark and give us something to hero worship again. He might have irritated a few by the time of his departure but nobody can deny the spark that the 'Rudi effect' gave us, for example. But is there honestly ONE player in our current squad who has the ability or personality to do it? I honestly don't know. Perhaps if things settle down, we'll see them come out of their shells a little more....but I honestly wonder if many of them have the character there in the first place.

Guest JamboRobbo
It just backs up what Frail was saying a few days ago....that there are no real characters or natural leaders in the squad.

And why is that? Cause we chose to get rid of them all.

If we want to have leaders in our squad, Vlad will have to be willing to accept that leaders will want to lead, and will tend to have THEIR OWN opinions on things.

If we want to have leaders in our squad, Vlad will have to be willing to accept that leaders will want to lead, and will tend to have THEIR OWN opinions on things.

What good are their own opinions if they are wrong?

We want people who are usually right, are good listeners and always positive in their approach.(do you know what that means?).

Guest JamboRobbo

We want people who are usually right, are good listeners and always positive in their approach.(do you know what that means?).

woosh.

Father Tiresias

Correct, Hartley, Gordon and especially Pressley were all leaders on the park who were 100% correct in their 'Riccarton Three' statement and have all been sadly missed this season.

Rudolf's Mate

Sorry mate but this is a bizarre comment to say the least!

People without opinions will be sheep and incapable of making their own decissions. I will take it that you mean people who have opinions who are willing to learn that if they are wrong they will take it on the chin!

Sorry mate but this is a bizarre comment to say the least!

People without opinions will be sheep and incapable of making their own decissions. I will take it that you mean people who have opinions who are willing to learn that if they are wrong they will take it on the chin!

Most people need to be motivated by some sort of emotion or personal interest before they'll have an opinion on something though. I can only assume that we either have:

a) a bunch of players who don't give a hoot about the club, or...

B) a bunch of players who know that there's little point in having an opinion on anything because it won't make a difference anyway.

Either way, I'm gutted by their attitude. Even if you think little can be achieved by voicing an opinion on something, stronger personalities would be inclined to do it anyway. We don't seem to have anybody like that at all.

:sad:

Charlie-Brown

I would say Michael Stewart is opinionated & passionate but it needs to be properly channelled to be more productive.

:dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce::dunce:

awadooningorgie2

Part of the craft of a manager is to bring together the right kind of guys and craft a fighting unit.

We are so far removed from that being allowed to happen it makes you wonder.

Has it ever been so horrible supporting a team? The Heart & Soul of Edinburgh - whoever thought that one up was surely taking the michael....

Part of the craft of a manager....

Agree ...thats what has been lacking on the field too, craft.

Sadly, as much as I like Frail as an individual, loved him as a player, he lacks exactly that, whether that comes through experience, I don't know and certainly Frail can't/won't be afforded the time(?)

As for HEROES..like him or loathe him, I think a fit mentally and otherwise, Pinilla could fill the void.

I'll put my tin hat on now...

awadooningorgie2

With a decent manager, Pinilla, Kingston, Ruben perhaps could make their mark.

Agree ...thats what has been lacking on the field too, craft.

Sadly, as much as I like Frail as an individual, loved him as a player, he lacks exactly that, whether that comes through experience, I don't know and certainly Frail can't/won't be afforded the time(?)

As for HEROES..like him or loathe him, I think a fit mentally and otherwise, Pinilla could fill the void.

I'll put my tin hat on now...

Frail could well have that ability but when you're in over your head and having to cope with all manner of difficulties, that sort of thing tends to take a back seat. He's inexperienced and I guess that sort of skill comes with confidence in your abilities.

But Pinilla...yes...I agree. He seems the type that would really thrive on that sort of adulation too. I hope someone has sat with him at a game and pointed out to him that if he were to play out of his socks for us, all of those people would be glad to sing his name and indulge in some serious hero worship. There's a vacancy and he could well be the man for the job.

I thought for a while that it might be Larry but now I'm not so sure. I've seen a side to him that I'm not so fussed about. All of this sitting down and being a bit flippant about whether he plays or not...it's most un-herolike behaviour. Mikey Stewart could do with taking a leaf out of Pressley's book....if he can't be the best player on the field, he could be the best leader instead. Anger management courses could be necessary first though.... :biggrin:

It just backs up what Frail was saying a few days ago....that there are no real characters or natural leaders in the squad. I know things have been rubbish for a variety of reasons but one thing that makes bad results more difficult to bear is the idea that nobody on the pitch really cares. There's no evidence of anybody having a real fire in their belly and that's something which really gets to the support, because its as if they just don't care at all.

I thoroughly enjoyed Robbie's testimonial but one thing that really bugged me was the fact that the current team seemed to lack the sense of humour required for these occasions. They went through the motions but they didn't seem to 'get' what it was all about at all...never mind realise how lucky they were to be sharing a pitch with our heroes of the past. I'll make one exception...Ruben Palazuelos seemed to have a grin permanently plastered to his face - even when he was sent flying by Stevie Fulton. He seemed to have the right idea and it was noticeable that his team mates just didn't at all and that depresses me a bit. Seeing Jose Quitongo bossing Larry around made me laugh and watching the banter between all the old stars of the past was brilliant because it made me remember all the good stuff about being a Jambo...but it was bittersweet too.

We've had a horrible time this season and we're crying out for someone to step up to the mark and give us something to hero worship again. He might have irritated a few by the time of his departure but nobody can deny the spark that the 'Rudi effect' gave us, for example. But is there honestly ONE player in our current squad who has the ability or personality to do it? I honestly don't know. Perhaps if things settle down, we'll see them come out of their shells a little more....but I honestly wonder if many of them have the character there in the first place.

This post is excellent well done:)

I think that although there are no apparent "leaders" at the club at the moment this may not actually be the case.

Many of the squad witnessed what happened to Elvis when he stood up and told the world that he had tried his best but was being thwarted at every turn to keep the club going in the right direction. The rest is of course history.

I think that the main problem and in fact the only problem is Vlad the @arsehole Romanov. It is all down to the way that he is running the club.

He has an ego that is almost immesurable and will not tolerate anyone being more popular (in his mind), important or have more influence than him.

This being the case it is almost impossible to have a true "leader" within the current regime as he would be struck down or cast out in a slow and painful way. This is probably the reason that none have taken the responsibility as it will get you nowhere and in fact can be career threatening.

I cannot see that this t!t will change his ways and we are at present stuck with it until such time as we sort it out for ourselves as sure as hell no one else is going to do it for us.

As a wee aside I cannot see that Mark M will arrive as our new saviour as no one is allowed to come and take control of the toy box that belongs to the "stupid one".

If only the "stupid one" had realised that if he had provided us with the product that we could all be proud of he would undoubtedly be the "biggest hero" rather than the "biggest zero". He really is a complete tw@t.

We have to face facts here and his performances for HMFC are worse than number 28s f@rking tube. He is the worst performing member of our club by a long long way and with leadership qualities that we cannot tolerate for much longer.

Anyway enough of the rant I am off to polish my pitchfork.

Archived