Bye Bye Gretna

Munch

With any luck at 11 am this morning its goodbye, i for one will be glad too see the back off them.:)

Why? Do you get your thrills by seeing football clubs go out of business? How sad.

ToadKiller Dog

Would be good for Gretna to survive at a level that suits there size.I would take no joy out of seeing there support loose the team they support.

Gerd Muller
With any luck at 11 am this morning its goodbye, i for one will be glad too see the back off them.:)

With any luck!. You obviously have no sense of feeling at all. A club like Gretna to go out of business is embarrassing for Scottish Football so hopefully they can be saved.

I can't agree, mate; as much as they annoy me, they have fans, and no set of fans deserve to lose their club.

I can't agree, mate; as much as they annoy me, they have fans, and no set of fans deserve to lose their club.

Hibs do.

ToadKiller Dog
Hibs do.

I do know that hobos often get lost on there travels to watch hibs play ,like the thousands who never made it to hampden for that semi.

I do know that hobos often get lost on there travels to watch hibs play ,like the thousands who never made it to hampden for that semi.

They were there, it was fancy dress for them, they all came dressed as seats.

blondejamtart

Exactly - it's hardly their fault and they must be completely gutted at what's happened to their team.

Spellczech

Cannot get enthused about a club going out of business. Sure they overstretched big time and there must be questions asked about the the lack of substance to any guarantee of debt from Mileson, but most football clubs overstretch, including us.

Ivan Drago

Will feel sorry for the actual fans, i.e. the ones who have followed them since the Unibond days and have still been going to the games at Fir Park.

Robbo27_22
Will feel sorry for the actual fans, i.e. the ones who have followed them since the Unibond days and have still been going to the games at Fir Park.

All 3 of them?

Agreed. They'll be no loss to football.

Just remember there will be wives and kids suffering as well because of one mans ego. Also they had a fairly big community programme going on down there which is also lost.

I agree that they did nothing for the SPL but the SPL should not have let them in in the first place.

There have been many mistakes made, lies told and egos massaged during the whole sorry debacle but that doesn't make it right to be happy about other peoples misfortunes.

Remember how happy we all were when Mileson and Romabov were described as similar characters? Don't laugh too loud just yet!

Aye, great fans huh.

They took what, 10'000 odd of them (which admitedly would have contained an element of 'neutrals' - but not a significant number) to the cup final 2 years ago.

Yet now, when it really counts, not more than 500 of them can be bothered to turn up to try and save their club. Where were the numbers when they needed them most???

No sympathy or sorrow from me i'm afraid.

Ivan Drago
Aye, great fans huh.

They took what, 10'000 odd of them (which admitedly would have contained an element of 'neutrals' - but not a significant number) to the cup final 2 years ago.

Yet now, when it really counts, not more than 500 of them can be bothered to turn up to try and save their club. Where were the numbers when they needed them most???

the majority of the 10,000 weren't gretna fans

rudi must stay
Would be good for Gretna to survive at a level that suits there size.I would take no joy out of seeing there support loose the team they support.

that's the thing, they don't have a support. And those that say they are and go to the games can't have been going since a few years ago, so they'll go back to who they used to support

marshallschunkychicken
the majority of the 10,000 weren't gretna fans

Yup.

Most of the folk I talked to in pubs on my extended trip home were Rangers and Celtic fans who were only there 'tae see youse get beat'.

Felt a bit sorry for the genuine Gretna fans who had to sit next to those bawbags.

Say What Again
Just been announced the entire staff have been made redundant this afternoon.

Yeah, they're talking about it on the radio just now.

All remaining 43 staff have gone.

The guy finished his report by saying he doesn't see any future for Gretna at all.

Ivan Drago
Yup.

Most of the folk I talked to in pubs on my extended trip home were Rangers and Celtic fans who were only there 'tae see youse get beat'.

Felt a bit sorry for the genuine Gretna fans who had to sit next to those bawbags.

Aye its not the genuine fans fault that everyone else decided to go to the final.

It will be a similar situation this Saturday in the Queens end.

ToadKiller Dog
that's the thing, they don't have a support. And those that say they are and go to the games can't have been going since a few years ago, so they'll go back to who they used to support

they do have a small very small support going back to when they played in the lowest of the english leagues.They have a core support on a par with east stirling.

Its no great loss in the scheme off things but will mean a lot to those few who go back that far and those who worked hard for that club over the years.

A good many of there later support were carlisle fans ,met a good many on cup final,likely with carlisle going well they would have lost that avenue of support.

jamboinglasgow

to me it just seems like they are extending the agony with this constant "talks" with a potential buyer, either buy the club and end the waiting or just walk away and put the club out of its misery.

jambojim52
to me it just seems like they are extending the agony with this constant "talks" with a potential buyer, either buy the club and end the waiting or just walk away and put the club out of its misery.

Why? When you can now walk up and buy the stadium for 50 pence. Any buyer would be best waiting until the old staff have gone, then only have to re-employ those who are worth it. The other way would have meant committing to redunancy payments.

You can bet there will be a buyer for anything that's left, now that they will take anything just to recover some money for the credirors.

Destruction Derby
Why? When you can now walk up and buy the stadium for 50 pence.

Was that not a Flute??

:P

I don't take any pleasure in seeing them go out of business, but I'm also not going to put on any faux sympathy for the situation that they're in.

Come to think about it, I really don't care at all.

I feel sorry for the few loyal fans that they had, imagine how we'd feel if Hearts went out of business. They bought their way to success and are paying for that now, they stepped up too quickly.

Aye, great fans huh.

If you had a near 200 muile round trip for a home game (because of stupid SPL rules introdcued for self interest) would you go to all the games?

With any luck!. You obviously have no sense of feeling at all. A club like Gretna to go out of business is embarrassing for Scottish Football so hopefully they can be saved.

Now that they have gone, i kinda regret what i posted, i do feel sorry for tthe fans, i think it was the Michael Stewart Sending off that got my goat up, then of course the last min goal to the season also annoyed me a bit, anyway its water under the bridge now.

I wonder who will replace them in the league ?:confused:

Millfield_Mackem

The attitude of some fans on here towards Gretna is unbelievable.

How would you feel if that happened to Hearts?

Sunderland AFC went down the road and i dread to think what would have happened if Sir Niall never intervened.

The genuine fans of that club will be gutted. I feel for them.

rudi must stay
The attitude of some fans on here towards Gretna is unbelievable.

How would you feel if that happened to Hearts?

Sunderland AFC went down the road and i dread to think what would have happened if Sir Niall never intervened.

The genuine fans of that club will be gutted. I feel for them.

they'l get over it, plenty other teams to support

they'l get over it, plenty other teams to support

Like whoever they supported before Gretna, for instance.

well said

Gretna are nothign short of a disgrace

Linlithgow rose would bring more to the table than those imposters

their support?

I have seen more people on a desert island

Millfield_Mackem

Supposedly, there is a interested third party.

I hope everythign goes to plan.

Like whoever they supported before Gretna, for instance.

they will probably opt for the Old Firm

Supposedly, there is a interested third party.

I hope everythign goes to plan.

Why would anyone put their money into them?

It would be just as pointless to burn it

Yeah, they're talking about it on the radio just now.

All remaining 43 staff have gone.

The guy finished his report by saying he doesn't see any future for Gretna at all.

does this include the players??

If it does Im heading to Gretna for a trial!!

does this include the players??

If it does Im heading to Gretna for a trial!!

CLUM still wouldnae get a game with them and they don't have ANY players

personally i think its a bloody shame

i don't like seeing clubs go down the tubes, and the club size is irrelevent

any club that has fans be it 60 fans or 60,000 fans they still back their team.

i'd hate it to happen to us, and its not something i enjoy watching for gretna

personally i think its a bloody shame

i don't like seeing clubs go down the tubes, and the club size is irrelevent

any club that has fans be it 60 fans or 60,000 fans they still back their team.

i'd hate it to happen to us, and its not something i enjoy watching for gretna

Romantically yes Bev but not if they are going to cause continual disruption to our game

They will gaurantee put the first division through the same nonsense as the SPHell last season

nip it in the bud now I say - a shame to the 3 Gretna supports but I am sure they will fight on. after all they only have been supporting them for 5 years

Hopefully they start again in the amateur/junior leagues like Clydebank did. Can't understand anyone taking pleasure in another club going out of business. Not even Hibs would I take joy in a club folding.

To me it doesn't matter is 200 or 200,000, there are still people losing the club they love and as an avid football fan I could never take pleasure in that.

Is the illness the reason why Brooks Mileson is not being slated by the media, because IMO he has a lot to answer for.

Say What Again
Puts everything into perspective.

R.I.P.

;)

;)

Yeah, my thoughts go out to their friends and families at this time :sad:

WestCoastJambo2

Their website is down so surely they're gonners.

maroondoonhamer
Aye its not the genuine fans fault that everyone else decided to go to the final.

It will be a similar situation this Saturday in the Queens end.

It won't just be a similar situation mate. It'll be a lot of the same people in the Queens end that were in the Gretna end 2 years ago.

What happens to their place in the league?

Also, does this mean Airdrie will be promoted to Div 1 ?

Ray Winstone
What happens to their place in the league?

Also, does this mean Airdrie will be promoted to Div 1 ?

The two playoff finalists from div 2 and 3 will move up and someone new will be admitted to div 3.

Archived