Celtic stopped from installing safe standing

jamboinglasgow

Excellent news, no need for standing at the football in this day and age. If you want to stand Saughton park is the place for you.

SPOT ON MATE

Surely giving people a choice would be better?

Should we give people the choice to go to games absolutely off their heads with drink?

Should we give people the choice to go to games absolutely off their heads with drink?

Not sure why safe standing would encourage this? People still do it in all seater stadiums

Not sure why safe standing would encourage this? People still do it in all seater stadiums

Not saying it would. The point I was making is that seating and alcohol regulations are made for good safety reasons - sometimes you just cant give people a "choice".

fabienleclerq

Not saying it would. The point I was making is that seating and alcohol regulations are made for good safety reasons - sometimes you just cant give people a "choice".

Yet we do this at concerts and rugby etc. and countries across Europe seem to manage too.

The Germans have had safe standing for years and years. If it was actually unsafe, there would surely be reports of problems by now.

The Germans have had safe standing for years and years. If it was actually unsafe, there would surely be reports of problems by now.

dinnae let logic get in the way. Or point out there will be standing areas in far less safe stadiums we play in this season.

dinnae let logic get in the way. Or point out there will be standing areas in far less safe stadiums we play in this season.

Do you think Tynecastle is safe for standing bearing in mind the steep angle of the stadium?

Do you think Tynecastle is safe for standing bearing in mind the steep angle of the stadium?

Dortmund's stadium is pretty steep and they have a huge standing section. No idea how it compares to Tynecastle though.

Dortmund's stadium is pretty steep and they have a huge standing section. No idea how it compares to Tynecastle though.

Never been there so also don't know. I do know that Tynecastle is very steep and you have to watch your step as you exit - never mind standing to watch a game.

If the design is like the one pictured in the BBC article (with barriers between each row) the steepness shouldn't really matter. But you are avoiding the question of why you think safe standing needs to be banned on safety grounds, and, if it is so unsafe, why the Germans seem able to use it safely with much bigger crowds than most Scottish teams get.

I think you could easily have safe standing in certain areas, yes.

Safe standing will happen, it's only a matter of time. I don't understand why people would want to stand in the way of progress which would ensure a safer, more enjoyable match day experience for all. The momentum behind this is starting to build and i think we should fully endorse it, because it allows everyone to have their preference, which is surely a no brainer?

I think you could easily have safe standing in certain areas, yes.

Apart from the old Enclosure - where else?

If the design is like the one pictured in the BBC article (with barriers between each row) the steepness shouldn't really matter. But you are avoiding the question of why you think safe standing needs to be banned on safety grounds, and, if it is so unsafe, why the Germans seem able to use it safely with much bigger crowds than most Scottish teams get.

Hold on a minute until I dig out my personal copy of the Taylor Report.

the lower sections of all stands.

Hope this doesn't happen. I like to slump in my seat when we lose a goal....

Hope this doesn't happen. I like to slump in my seat when we lose a goal....

Nothing beats hitting your head off a crush barrier at ca last minute goal.

Never been there so also don't know. I do know that Tynecastle is very steep and you have to watch your step as you exit - never mind standing to watch a game.

If the barriers were at the right height as they are in Germany it'd be 100% safe. You have an allocated space it'd be almost impossible to fall over/under it unless you were actively trying to. As already pointed out, it'd be much safer than standing in seated areas as already happens in certain big games.

Hold on a minute until I dig out my personal copy of the Taylor Report.

You are aware of the differences between safe standing areas and traditional terraces of old aren't you? I.e. an allocated number of tickets to control numbers, and suitable barriers to avoid the mass movement of fans that cause crushing?

If the barriers were at the right height as they are in Germany it'd be 100% safe. You have an allocated space it'd be almost impossible to fall over/under it unless you were actively trying to. As already pointed out, it'd be much safer than standing in seated areas as already happens in certain big games.

I did. I went arse over tit in the Sud Tribune at Dortmund. More to do with the massive consumption of Erdinger than stadium design to be fair though...

scots civil war

that thomaso`s got a bit of a prob with standing eh

tell us chief,what is the first thing you do when the heart of midlothian score a goal

yes,thats right...you stand up dont you....you have instant atmosphere....

il be standing and enjoying the games once more in section n this season rather than in my previous,cramped and totally uncomfortable seats at previous locations around the ground

You are aware of the differences between safe standing areas and traditional terraces of old aren't you? I.e. an allocated number of tickets to control numbers, and suitable barriers to avoid the mass movement of fans that cause crushing?

Indeed I am, however standing can never be as safe as sitting. Also remember you have the crowd control aspect - much easier for police to monitor behaviour in seated areas.

One welcome factor of seating is that it has encouraged families to football which I think is a good thing.

Still if some of you young bucks want to stand, good luck to you. Much easier to have a piss in an empty lager can, just like the good old days eh. ;-)

that thomaso`s got a bit of a prob with standing eh

tell us chief,what is the first thing you do when the heart of midlothian score a goal

yes,thats right...you stand up dont you....you have instant atmosphere....

il be standing and enjoying the games once more in section n this season rather than in my previous,cramped and totally uncomfortable seats at previous locations around the ground

Ah...so the atmosphere is created by standing...not by HMFC scoring a goal.

Thanks for that Chief.

Indeed I am, however standing can never be as safe as sitting. Also remember you have the crowd control aspect - much easier for police to monitor behaviour in seated areas.

One welcome factor of seating is that it has encouraged families to football which I think is a good thing.

Still if some of you young bucks want to stand, good luck to you. Much easier to have a piss in an empty lager can, just like the good old days eh. ;-)

I don't think ripping the toilets out to balance it out was in their proposal.

I don't think ripping the toilets out to balance it out was in their proposal.

Try telling that to Celtic/Hibs fans when they come visiting.

If anyone thinks that even parts of the three new stands at Tynecastle will ever be made "safe standing" areas, they're giving their mind a treat.

It's possible that the old enclosure could be made safe standing, but it would cost money we can't really afford.

IMHO the only way we'll ever see safe standing at Tynecastle, would be if it's incorporated into a new main stand - so I'll not be holding my breath.

If anyone thinks that even parts of the three new stands at Tynecastle will ever be made "safe standing" areas, they're giving their mind a treat.

It's possible that the old enclosure could be made safe standing, but it would cost money we can't really afford.

IMHO the only way we'll ever see safe standing at Tynecastle, would be if it's incorporated into a new main stand - so I'll not be holding my breath.

as far as I'm aware there's no proposal to introduce safe standing at Tynecastle, so it's all theoretical. But it could be done and I'd be happy to see it.

as far as I'm aware there's no proposal to introduce safe standing at Tynecastle, so it's all theoretical. But it could be done and I'd be happy to see it.

Just to clarify - I'm certainly not aware of any proposals to introduce it at Tynecastle - I was talking purely hypothetically.

From a financial perspective it would be completely unfeasible in the three new stands as (non retrospective) changes in building regulations mean even seated areas can no longer be that steep.

If it could be financially viable to convert the enclosure (I'm not sure it would) or if it was incorporated in any new main stand - then great - I'm all for folk having the choice.

:thumb:

Jambo, Goodbye

And sometimes you can.

BonnyriggSectionG

Sitting at football kills atmosphere.

The majority of football fans want to stand and many do now since the rules on standing were relaxed by the SFA. Safe standing is a lot safer than the current all seated stadia that cause people to fall over the seats when celebrating a goal and less severely scrape their shins on the back of the seat in front.

Watt-Zeefuik

Just to clarify - I'm certainly not aware of any proposals to introduce it at Tynecastle - I was talking purely hypothetically.

From a financial perspective it would be completely unfeasible in the three new stands as (non retrospective) changes in building regulations mean even seated areas can no longer be that steep.

If it could be financially viable to convert the enclosure (I'm not sure it would) or if it was incorporated in any new main stand - then great - I'm all for folk having the choice.

:thumb:

My hope for safe standing at Tynie has always rested on a new or renovated main stand (or my previously mentioned, quite possibly nutso proposal of tearing down the Roseburn, moving/modifying the old main to become the end stand in its place, and building a new, larger stand on the east side).

The front of the main stand, effectively in place of the old enclosure, has always struck me as the proper place for it, along with possibly filling in the corners on either side of the main and creating a ?12 ticket area or some such with bad angles and no seat. If we did build a new main, I'd want to see a new upper tier, potentially cantilevered over the lower, and move the "family" stand up there.

Well we all know those Germans are pretty lackadaisical in their approach to everything, I doubt they bothered to thoroughly research and test the design. Only a matter of time before carnage ensues at one of their stadia, they've ridden their luck so far imo!

Well we all know those Germans are pretty lackadaisical in their approach to everything, I doubt they bothered to thoroughly research and test the design. Only a matter of time before carnage ensues at one of their stadia, they've ridden their luck so far imo!

Correct.

Probably threw them up on a whim with no regard to safety.It'll never work!!

Archived