Will it ever get to a point when Earth becomes too crowded?

Ragnar

There are too many humans on this planet, IMO.

You can barely walk through town these days there's that many people.

It also takes ages to get served at a pub it's that crowded or even get a doctors appointment etc.

7.2 billion and counting...

It also takes ages to get served at a pub it's that crowded or even get a doctors appointment etc.

Depends on how you define "too crowded". Sounds like it already is, from your perspective.

Best just sitting at home on the safety of the Internet.

- People living longer

- More people = more births

So what you're all saying is we are relaying on a natural disaster / war? Or else we are screwed?

- People living longer

So what you're all saying is we are relaying on a natural disaster / war? Or else we are screwed?

Don't worry, starvation and disease are doing their best to keep people off Princes St.

- People living longer

It will be a long time before it is too crowded for people.

Everything else lives or grows that people don't eat will vanish long before people.

I just hope the illuminati keep an eye on us and ensure our numbers become manageable.

alwaysthereinspirit

I was in Maine over the weekend. Plenty of room. Except for the Lobster Pound Saturday night. Hour and a half wait.

heartstastic

I read an article a while back that said if current population growth continues, humans will weigh more than the rest of the planet in around 780 years!. Obviously it will never reach that stage for a variety of reasons. But that ain't a date too far down the road in the bigger picture .

skinnybob72

It's not so much the number of people but the lack of resources that will become a bigger problem than it is already. Have a look at a graph showing the growth in world population - it has trebled in under 100 years.

rossthejambo

Town is too crowded, takes too long to get served at the bar = the world is overcrowded

Quite a leap!

It's not so much the number of people but the lack of resources that will become a bigger problem than it is already. Have a look at a graph showing the growth in world population - it has trebled in under 100 years.

Good point.

I am fascinated with the whole business of food production from start to finish.

I wonder, is it science fiction to imagine that a foodstuff may be produced that staves off hunger and provides vital nutrients etc for a prolonged period, say 48 hours, or even a week, thereby reducing waste in packaging as well as addressing food shortage?

heartstastic

There's a graph that shows oil production with population growth, almost identical growth lines. We've reached peak oil.......

heartstastic

Good point.

I am fascinated with the whole business of food production from start to finish.

I wonder, is it science fiction to imagine that a foodstuff may be produced that staves off hunger and provides vital nutrients etc for a prolonged period, say 48 hours, or even a week, thereby reducing waste in packaging as well as addressing food shortage?

Scientists are saying algae could be the food of th e future. As long as you can stick it on a roll with broon sauce, should be ok.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I was in Maine over the weekend. Plenty of room. Except for the Lobster Pound Saturday night. Hour and a half wait.

Yup - was in NW Wisconsin at the weekend, same thing. Except for Lobster Pound, since it doesn't exist in WI.

The earth is ******* massive. Over crowded? No.

The entire human race, every single person on the planet, could fit in to Texas if we lived at the same density as people do in New York.

Under resourced? Probable.

Dagger Is Back

Nah, once the oil and food starts to run out, we'll all start killing each other until the appropriate levels have been reached.

Problem solved

Rick Grimes

:lol:

There's some First World Problems right there.

Good point.

We can already make burgers from synthetic proteins, I'd imagine we could synthesise lots of other stuff as well.

GM crops, synthetic food stuffs and nuclear fusion will help to provide resources.

As long as we're not wiped out in the next 50 years I reckon we'll be fine.

alwaysthereinspirit

Yup - was in NW Wisconsin at the weekend, same thing. Except for Lobster Pound, since it doesn't exist in WI.

No Lobster Pound? Thats crazy. How do you people survive out there in the wilds.

alwaysthereinspirit

The earth is ******* massive. Over crowded? No.

The entire human race, every single person on the planet, could fit in to Texas if we lived at the same density as people do in New York.

Under resourced? Probable.

There'd still be idiots travel to see Newco and Celtic every week. *****g glory hunters.

China-style one child policy will be adopted globally at some point in the future.

My wee bro would be buggered there. He's a serial sha**er. 3 (that we know of) bairns at 25, and he doesn't look like giving up.

:lol:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Good point.

surely a food that can release all the nutrients and energy you need over a week will pit a halt to the morning poo? That's one of lifes greatest pleasures. I would rather a cull of 3 billion people than give up my morning poo.

anyway, the pub queues aren't too bad in stornoway, maybe we will be ok.

TheMaganator

I'm sure I read that we actually produce enough food now to feed the entire population of the world.

It's just that the west guzzles & wastes most of it.

Food, in paticular protien & staples will become too expensive for poorer members of poorer countries in the future which will probably mean high infant mortality rates. If humans keep dumping all our crap into the seas and swapping fertile food production land to grow crops for fuel then this will compound the issue. GM crops will no doubt be the answer to food demans of the future. Our attitudes to big families have changed over the decades. A lot of children born in the UK 80 - 100 years ago had a slim chance of survival due to some easily curable disease today which is why our great grannies generally had more than 3 - 4 kids whereas we now generally have less which is funny considering that food is more available today than it was 100 years ago.

Everybody's becoming middle class so the population growth rate is falling. China's growth is much slower than it was a generation ago and they are the main threat to elephants because they want ivory as a status symbol. And an atomised Western society with fewer people having children.

That's how evolution will save us: it will turn all of us into w@nkers, some literally, some metaphorically.

I blame the medical profession. Doing far to good a job, stop saving all these old folk.

The population boom is mostly down to the decline in infant mortality rates.

I have seriously considered topping myself if and when I am diagnosed with a terminal disease, even if I'm expected to live a lot longer. What's point in hanging it out?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Soylent Green is the answer. Bagsy I don't eat the OP though.

There are certainly too many people on the planet, but that doesn't make it too crowded, because most of the land surface is unpopulated.

The problem is that the ballooning human population is changing the environment, especially the oceans, at an alarming rate. In a nutshell, some of the carbon dioxide we are putting into the air by burning fossil fuels is being absorbed by the ocean. And the chemical run-off from agriculture is making this worse. As a result, the oceans are more acid, warmer, and more prone to vast oxygen-deprived dead zones. At risk is the very structure of life in the ocean and therefore, on the planet as a whole.

Most of the oxygen we breathe comes from the algae in the oceans, not the rain forest. When the algae dies, the available oxygen will be reduced by more than half. That will take care of the human population. We're already a long way down that road. Some scientists reckon it needs only another 50-100 years, then the oceans, and us, will be screwed.

No-one will need to worry about over-crowded pubs then.

jack D and coke

It will be a long time before it is too crowded for people.

Everything else lives or grows that people don't eat will vanish long before people.

You reckon? Look at the rate we are racing through the worlds resources, cutting the forests down and polluting like **** as we go. There's apparently 250,000 more mouths to feed every single day on earth and that number grows as the population gets bigger and bigger. We use more, waste more, pollute more and are more selfish than ever only really caring about how much money we've got, how fancy a motor we've got etc etc and we still look for growth and to sell more consumable stuff. The African nations are about to experience explosive growth and will burn fossil fuels and buy up all the consumables that we've enjoyed for decades and how can we tell then to stop? Unless there is a massive slow down in birth rates, pollution etc I reckon we could be done for in under 100 years.

Craig Gordons Gloves

No Lobster Pound? Thats crazy. How do you people survive out there in the wilds.

we hunt bears and stuff.

h-e-a-r-t-s

I have seriously considered topping myself if and when I am diagnosed with a terminal disease, even if I'm expected to live a lot longer. What's point in hanging it out?

Aren't we all just hanging it out anyway?? :)

Jambo 4 Ever

I just hope the illuminati keep an eye on us and ensure our numbers become manageable.

Who are the illuminati?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Who are the illuminati?

Calling cut and paste, calling cut and paste....

Archived