Cardiff v Pompey

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Re the English Cup Final on Saturday, did anyone else find it strange that they felt the need to play both the British AND the Welsh national anthems before kick off? Surely the British anthem would have suited both teams, no?

Is this a case of the FA not knowing the difference between England and the UK? Is it time for the English to get their own anthem? It reminded me of England v Northern Ireland, surely the only international fixture in the world where NEITHER country has its own anthem!

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Meh, any excuse to put Katherine Jenkins on TV is good enough for me. Schawwwwing!

No arguments about that!

No arguments about that!

I'l second that :dribble:

A unique occasion though, as regards the anthems, and I thought it was quite fitting

Stupid Sexy Flanders
I'l second that :dribble:

A unique occasion though, as regards the anthems, and I thought it was quite fitting

But it didn't make sense! If it was the Welsh and English anthems then yes, but it wasn't.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The closest England and Northern Ireland get to their own anthems is at the Commonwealth Games. England use Land of Hope and Glory, Northern Ireland use Londonderry Air (coloquially known as Danny Boy).

I agree that it would make more sense if God Save The Queen was truly used as an anthem of the UK as opposed to being "claimed" by England. It was written after 1707 and therefore it is a "British" song as opposed to an "English" one.

MacDonald Jardine
I think Cardiff requested it.

No point in them having any national anthem really.

They did.

There probably isn't much point in it, but it's a bit rich for a team to play in the English FA Cup and then complain that there should be a specifically Welsh anthem.

They did.

There probably isn't much point in it, but it's a bit rich for a team to play in the English FA Cup and then complain that there should be a specifically Welsh anthem.

Well, arguably it's not really the ENGLISH FA Cup is it if Welsh teams can play in it?

It's simply the FA Cup, same as it's the Football League, not the English Football League. The Old Squirm could apply to play in it, same as the Welsh do citing that their league ain't strong enough. The only reason they'll never move is because the vast majority of the clubs are English and they ain't going to vote for Scottish or Welsh clubs representing their association on the European stage, which is no good for the OF. Plus the fact they'd have to play their way through the system.

Archived